We are in HC purgatory

Ethan in Cleveland

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

We are stuck and there is no way out. Pegula is not going to get rid of Beane and McDermott.  McDermott has done too much for the franchise and the city to be canned. So we will waste another year on Dungy 2.0 only to come up short again. We are now on three years wasted of the best QB play this team has ever had. And nothing to show for it. Next year will be four and the cap situation will only keep getting worse. 

This team needed a teacher and a father figure. Now they need a mercenary assassin. Give Josh Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh and Bills win the SuperBowl next year. 

Its not going to happen so we had just be prepared for another year of this crap. When McDermott says we will learn and grow from this I hope some reporter has the balls to say when do you stop learning and winning instead?

i was going to start this thread but i still want him to be the HC and DC  and 

Sean Payton the OC with total control of the offense and pay him like a HC

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Emotions are high

This team didn’t go eight and eight

It went 13 and three

The coordinators, the head coach, and the GM are not going anywhere unless they are hired a way to head coach positions

Coordinators need to go, we need synchronicity on offense and not scattershot play calling and MORE aggressive defense.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Emotions are high

It went 13 and three

The coordinators, the head coach, and the GM are not going anywhere unless they are hired a way to head coach positions

Sadly, I have to agree. I never thought the HC and GM would be on the hot seat, but I wish  these coordinators would be shot out of a cannon out of Buffalo 

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Do you think the Eagles said this every year of Andy Reid's tenure there? What about his first 5 or 6 years in Kansas City? He is a HOF head coached that took over 20 years to win his first Super Bowl. Relax

Are you suggesting we should wait 20 years for mcd to develop?

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Emotions are high

It went 13 and three

This! 

The crying and whining from Bills fans is almost getting to biblical proportions. Overreactions while not thinking clearly.

They seem to forget WRex Ryan, Doug Maroon, Chan Gaily, Skeletor and so many others since Marv...so many coaches, QBs, draft picks...and top ten draft picks that went nowhere! 20 years man, 20 years! 

Alas, there is a real reason as to why Daboll is now a HC and Frazier is not. Did he even get any interviews? Coaching does matter! 

OTOH, the Bills have a rookie OC. Can anyone recall how Daboll looked his first season in Buffalo?

Lastly, I look at the 49ers with envious eyes...their run game, defense that help a rookie QB look so good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Josh is 26. Elway was 38 & 39 when he finally won SuperBowls.

1670201619_TheWinterSoldiersLament_01222023.thumb.jpg.4e61ed7514e1e64d707f5fb27b60c25e.jpg

Hope the Bills get a running game sooner than when Elway did...

8 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

We are the Dolphins of the 90's. We have a great QB and we win a lot of games but it's all for not because there are better teams in the AFC and we won't get rid of our coach because everyone loves him. Purgatory indeed

Or, they are Denver. Didn't they lose an AFCCG to the Bills 10-7 in Orchard Park.

18 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Lastly, I look at the 49ers with envious eyes...their run game, defense that help a rookie QB look so good. 

Yet... They lost to the Chicago Bears in week #1. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Emotions are high

It went 13 and three

Then you should prepare yourself for another early playoff exit.  Without serious changes, we’ll be lucky to win the AFCE next year.  

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's with Allen on the tiller. You forgot the listless performance against JAX in "Florida" weather...

But he's also won:

Home against Indy

Home against Baltimore 

Home against, dismantled NE*

Home against Miami

That puts him @ what? 4-5 in playoffs. 

But eliminated at the end. McDermott should not be untouchable in terms of getting fired. He has a freaking unicorn at QB and refused to build around him. He's a defensive minded guy who put ALL the investment on defense. Look what happened. Burrow and Mahomes had help.  Their team helping their QB and not focused on high draft picks on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Going from mediocre to good is easier than going from good to elite.  Same in any business: that final 7% is the toughest.  Not sure McDermott has it in him.  Love him as a leader and he’s a fantastic program builder.  These next few weeks will tell us if he’s really able to adapt and self-scout.  I have my doubts that he has the courage to throw his number 2 to the curb, let alone axe Josh’s choice for OC.

46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Going from mediocre to good is easier than going from good to elite.  Same in any business: that final 7% is the toughest.  Not sure McDermott has it in him.  Love him as a leader and he’s a fantastic program builder.  These next few weeks will tell us if he’s really able to adapt and self-scout.  I have my doubts that he has the courage to throw his number 2 to the curb, let alone axe Josh’s choice for OC.

I have my doubts he'll abandon a defense-first mentality that's been present since he began.  One that largely cheaps out on offense to staff a defense that fails in the post-season every year.  

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah here's their records, Payton and McD about the same.  Other than the SB year never won more than 1 playoff game any season with one of the top QB's in the league.  The only thing Peyton was much better at was winning challenges which don't think you'd make HC change based on.

image.thumb.png.b95472f57045bb3ad935804fa6f6ebf3.png

image.thumb.png.4f2aba26bf96b9dd22ab059badc25393.png

Which is what I CANNOT UNDERSTAND about those who want Sean Payton... he had Drew friggin Brees for God's sake!!! He has the same number of rings as Barry Switzer and Mike McCarthy and Tony Dungy as coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Do you think the Eagles said this every year of Andy Reid's tenure there? What about his first 5 or 6 years in Kansas City? He is a HOF head coached that took over 20 years to win his first Super Bowl. Relax

I agree that even a great coach might take several seasons before winning a Super Bowl (or might never win).  But great coaches evolve and learn from their mistakes.  How have McDermott and his staff evolved? Using the defence as an illustration, we are still failing in the same way in big games - soft zones and poor pass pressure (combined with weak penetration up the middle on rushing downs).  I see no evolution.  To get change, the Bills are going to have to make changes.

The Bills game planning and play calling is perfect for consistently beating weak opponents, and thereby getting to the playoffs, but is doomed to fail against elite teams.  And their strategy is 100% predictable to those opponents.

9 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

He never won a playoff game.  Not once 

The Bengals recognized the ceiling of that coach.  It's time to recognize the ceiling of our coaching staff, and that ceiling is below a SB.

18 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

We are in early to mid round playoff exit purgatory, while burrow is playing to get to his 2nd SB or Mahomes to his 3rd.  This team is never going to win a SB with McDermott.  Never prepared, always outcoached.

Couldn’t think of the words but this is it!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hope the Bills get a running game sooner than when Elway did...

Yet... They lost to the Chicago Bears in week #1. 

I also hope so!

There has only been one perfect team the entire history of the NFL, 72 Dolphins. The 85 Bears lost to Miami in that season. The 2000 Ravens lost to Miami, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Washington.

This season the 49ers also lost to crappy Atlanta & Denver, also KC. It's not what teams do at the start of the season...it's how it ends! 

Anyway, look how the goat QB ended his season. No matter how great a QB is...they need a strong supporting cast. Buffalo needs a strong run game, no question. 

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I also hope so!

There has only been one perfect team the entire history of the NFL, 72 Dolphins. The 85 Bears lost to Miami in that season. The 2000 Ravens lost to Miami, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Washington.

This season the 49ers also lost to crappy Atlanta & Denver, also KC. It's not what teams do at the start of the season...it's how it ends! 

Anyway, look how the goat QB ended his season. No matter how great a QB is...they need a strong supporting cast. Buffalo needs a strong run game, no question. 

And the perfect season is overrated IMO. Only 14 games and 5 team playoff per conference back then.

Season is much more grueling now.

Miami only had 3 games total with SuperBowl and only 17 games. Bills already played 18. 

It's a myth it was a harder hitting game back then. Players are faster, stronger, and hit harder today. 

20 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

We are in early to mid round playoff exit purgatory, while burrow is playing to get to his 2nd SB or Mahomes to his 3rd.  This team is never going to win a SB with McDermott.  Never prepared, always outcoached.

As much as I hate to say it, I think its time to move on.  How many years with Josh Allen as your qb and you miss the SB does one get?  Seriously? In order for us to get better we need to focus on offense, and I dont think Beane and McDermott are capable of that.   Look at our drafts since they been here, its 3 defensive picks per offensive picks in top of the draft.  On top of that most of the picks that were used on defense are failures!  They did that while having Josh Allen as QB to top it all off.  They did great for us coming in, unfortunately I think they have reached their ceiling

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

This! 

The crying and whining from Bills fans is almost getting to biblical proportions. Overreactions while not thinking clearly.

They seem to forget WRex Ryan, Doug Maroon, Chan Gaily, Skeletor and so many others since Marv...so many coaches, QBs, draft picks...and top ten draft picks that went nowhere! 20 years man, 20 years! 

Alas, there is a real reason as to why Daboll is now a HC and Frazier is not. Did he even get any interviews? Coaching does matter! 

OTOH, the Bills have a rookie OC. Can anyone recall how Daboll looked his first season in Buffalo?

Did you watch the game? And if the answer is yes, are you new to the sport of football? I have to rack my brain to remember a game where I saw a team so unprepared and the contrast in coaching talent was so great.

This administration is damned lucky they aren't coaching in New Jersey or Dallas. After a performance like what we witnessed yesterday they would be starting a job search by Wednesday at the latest.

23 minutes ago, BernieBill said:

Sean Payton is available right now ... you want a Super Bowl, you get him ... you don't, then keep McDermott and watch him mismanage games and lose in the playoffs again.

That guy won ONE SB in 15 years in NO and had a future HoF QB in Drew Brees the entire time. 7 playoff losses, 5 losing seasons. 

McD is better...he went to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB. 

The Bills were outcoached against the Bengals on both sides of the ball. One guy is a rookie and the other caused the 13 seconds.

The Buffalo Bills currently have one of the very best HC's in the league. Not many could have overcome the adversity this team has endured the last few months. Heart attack on the field. Snow storm that causes the team to play a home game in a different city. The players needed to be dug out to even get to the airport. Snow so bad they couldn't return home.

Injuries to so many players this season. McD should be coach of the year! 

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Peyton was a loser who couldn't win anything with years of stacked New Orleans teams and was responsible for Bountygate. 

Exaclty.  This Sean Peyton nonsense can’t stop soon enough.

We are NOT giving up a first round pick for a HC, never gonna happen.  

And Peyton struggled to even make playoffs a lot of years with Drew Brees slinging for tons of yards.  He is overrated and giving up a first round pick to the saints to sign him is insane

Why no accountability from Sean related to “championship caliber” and not having his team prepared to meet this self described expectation? Why are the media not asking these questions? I’m not saying the guy should be fired but he’s lucky he’s not in the Boston or NY market 

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Why?

The entire point of a season is to Win the Super Bowl.

If you don't win it, the only thing you accomplished is lowering your draft choice.

There are 32 teams trying to win it all. 31 fall short. Are you saying if you don't win a Super Bowl why bother? 

It's great to talk about "high standards" but as fans we have no say in what happens, outside of calling WGR and posting at TBD.

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As opposed to 7-10 and no playoffs? Yes.

No, as opposed to annual AFCC games and Super Bowls, which is what the few franchises lucky enough to have QBs as talented as (or nearly as talented as) Josh Allen regularly achieve.  Even the worst coaches in the history of this franchise couldn’t win less than 8 games with Josh Allen.

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There are 32 teams trying to win it all. 31 fall short. Are you saying if you don't win a Super Bowl why bother? 

I'm saying if you don't win the Super Bowl, you receive the same "nothing" that everyone else got. 

Our 13-3 season had the same prize as the Texans 3-13-1 season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.