We are in HC purgatory

Ethan in Cleveland

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Right, give it time. There's always next year (AFC game KC dominated), & next year (13 seconds), & next year (Cincy dominates) & next year & next year. By the time you realize that's who he is Josh's best years will be behind him. 

Who would you rather have, Andy Reid or Mike McCarthy based on track record?

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I acknowledged numerous times it took him over 20 years to win his first, in what way does that make you think I would go back to his 6th year in Philly when he clearly didn't win it then and by the way, if you fired him after his 6th year in KC, you may not get that Super Bowl he helped you win in year 7 or get back to it again in year 8

Marty Schottenheimer was 5-13 in the playoffs. McDermott is 4-5

I don’t know why you cannot understand this but for the past 3 years the Bills have had as much talent as any other team in the NFL. Bills have been SB favorites all year. And they didn’t show up today again.  I saw Cincy receivers wide open all game. I once again see no stunts on DL. They guessed wrong on blitzes and never got home. they were totally unprepared for what Cincy came with on both sides of the ball.  They got blown off the field at home. This falls on coaching staff. 

wake me up the next time Reid calls a defensive timeout. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Blazman11 said:

I don’t know why you cannot understand this but for the past 3 years the Bills have had as much talent as any other team in the NFL. Bills have been SB favorites all year. And they didn’t show up today again.  I saw Cincy receivers wide open all game. I once again see no stunts on DL. They guessed wrong on blitzes and never got home. they were totally unprepared for what Cincy came with on both sides of the ball.  They got blown off the field at home. This falls on coaching staff. 

wake me up the next time Reid calls a defensive timeout. 

I'm well aware of the talent the Bills have. Some coaches take that talent to a Super Bowl in 5 years some do it in 7 or 8, some in 10 or longer, the great coaches get there. What I would like McDermott to do is fire Frazier and get a new OC but I am willing to give McDermott a couple more year at least

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

When will McDermott ever hold himself to the same accountability that he demands of his players?  13 seconds should have been that moment, but instead he hid behind a say no evil speak no evil mantra.  At what point do the players say if McD doesn't hold himself and his coaches to the same standards as he holds the players, then why the F should they bother listening?  

9 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Who would you rather have, Andy Reid or Mike McCarthy based on track record?

Those aren't my only options. McD did not have his team ready today in any way. He took 3 timeouts into halftime & burned his second half timeouts w/ 7 minutes to go, no adjustments, no changes in how the offense operated last week to this one (chuck it deep Josh all the time). After last year's 13 seconds debacle, he should be on the hot seat, period. Otherwise expect more of the same. & I'll take a Zac Taylor, who gets his team to the SB in year 3 & looks on his way to another, possibly a win in his 4th season as head coach. That's the kind of guy we need.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

I don’t know if we give him am ultimatum, but this is pretty much what needs to happen.

As bad as our loss was today, this might be the least disappointed I've been with McD at a season end. I thought he did a great job this year. But he has to address the coordinators - we went from having one championship level guy to zero

Least disappointed...wow your bar isn't set very high.  I wish you were my boss.

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Do you think the Eagles said this every year of Andy Reid's tenure there? What about his first 5 or 6 years in Kansas City? He is a HOF head coached that took over 20 years to win his first Super Bowl. Relax

The Eagles fired him after four straight NFC Championship game appearances. There comes a point.  Tom Landry was fired despite a resume with three super bowl wins.  Sometimes change is better.  Bills fans are scarred because of our history of epically bad head coaches.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm well aware of the talent the Bills have. Some coaches take that talent to a Super Bowl in 5 years some do it in 7 or 8, some in 10 or longer, the great coaches get there. What I would like McDermott to do is fire Frazier and get a new OC but I am willing to give McDermott a couple more year at least

I think he may be insecure. Might be uncomfortable with aggressive young coordinators. I think he's probably negatively impacted the draft as well.. No badass. Just choirboys. I think he's pretty much served his purpose. I don't know that Pegula has the stones to fire him though.

Of course you don't fire anyone unless something better is available to be hired. I don't think there is a Kyle Shanahan out there right now.

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Those aren't my only options. McD did not have his team ready today in any way. He took 3 timeouts into halftime & burned his second half timeouts w/ 7 minutes to go, no adjustments, no changes in how the offense operated last week to this one (chuck it deep Josh all the time). After last year's 13 seconds debacle, he should be on the hot seat, period. Otherwise expect more of the same. & I'll take a Zac Taylor, who gets his team to the SB in year 3 & looks on his way to another, possibly a win I'm his 4th season as head coach. That's the kind of guy we need.

His timeout usage is a problem. Yes, we had a bad day. But he still deserves a couple more chances at least. Allen is here for the foreseeable future so we can give a little more time before giving another coach a shot

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I absolutely agree with you on firing Frazier. He should’ve been gone after 13 seconds - assuming those defensive calls were his (which honestly I don’t know is a good assumption but whatever). 

It’s obvious I will never change your mind and you will never change mine. Believe it or not my pitchfork isn’t sharpened at the ready for McDermott (I’ve been arguing against the length of time it can take when your team is already stacked with talent). As I said earlier he’s done some great things. I can get on board with riding McDermott out as long as Frazier is gone and someone on the sidelines is assigned with tackling McDermott if he ever tried to call a defensive timeout. 

11 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Something has to change on defense. Burrow and Mahomes are not going anywhere. Lawrence will only get better. We cant play bend dont break zone defense vs QB’s like that. 3rd and 10 wont mean anything. They will carve us up and win TOP 9 out of 10 times. It puts so much pressure on our offense to be perfect. 

We had the exact bend don't break crap during our 90's run.  This is like de ja vu all over again with a better qb.  In our last 4 playoff exits our defense was embarrassing. Stubborn coaches sticking with their worthless zone scheme.  Including today,  how many dozens of times we saw 3rd & long converted. This craziness has to stop.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

No coach/QB combo since the 1970s has taken more than five years to get to their first super bowl appearance. Some coaches have. But the last time a coach with the same QB took more time was Madden/Stabler.  

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Least disappointed...wow your bar isn't set very high.  I wish you were my boss.

Lol I'm not the guy you should be calling out on this board. The point was with McDermott's staff. I think both Frazier and Dorsey should be let go immediately. Lay off the sauce

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I think he may be insecure. Might be uncomfortable with aggressive young coordinators. I think he's probably negatively impacted the draft as well.. No badass. Just choirboys. I think he's pretty much served his purpose. I don't know that Pegula has the stones to fire him though.

Of course you don't fire anyone unless something better is available to be hired. I don't think there is a Kyle Shanahan out there right now.

Did you know who Nick Sirianni or Sean McVay were before they were hired?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Eagles fired him after four straight NFC Championship game appearances. There comes a point.  Tom Landry was fired despite a resume with three super bowl wins.  Sometimes change is better.  Bills fans are scarred because of our history of epically bad head coaches.  

Tom Landry was fired after 3 straight horrible losing seasons. His prior super bowls 10 years earlier meant nothing at that point. Reid went to 5 championship games in Philly and one Super Bowl. He was still given another 4 seasons after that in Philly and then another 7 in Kansas City before he got it

8 minutes ago, Blazman11 said:

I absolutely agree with you on firing Frazier. He should’ve been gone after 13 seconds - assuming those defensive calls were his (which honestly I don’t know is a good assumption but whatever). 

It’s obvious I will never change your mind and you will never change mine. Believe it or not my pitchfork isn’t sharpened at the ready for McDermott (I’ve been arguing against the length of time it can take when your team is already stacked with talent). As I said earlier he’s done some great things. I can get on board with riding McDermott out as long as Frazier is gone and someone on the sidelines is assigned with tackling McDermott if he ever tried to call a defensive timeout. 

My mind won't be changed simply because you and other people think that all coaches only deserve 5 years with a successful team before letting someone go. Andy Reid, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher. These are all HOF head coaches that won their Super Bowls later in their tenured but I would take any one of them including McDermott over firing him after just 6 seasons

Edited by Buffalo03

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Tom Landry was fired after 3 straight horrible losing seasons. His prior super bowls 10 years earlier meant nothing at that point. Reid went to 5 championship games in Philly and one Super Bowl. He was still given another 4 seasons after that in Philly and then another 7 in Kansas City before he got it

you seem to miss the point.  Landry and Reid actually made it to championship games and super bowls. McDermott is a divisional round playoff guy after peaking three seasons ago. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.