We are in HC purgatory

Ethan in Cleveland

17 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Super Bowl or bust next year.  If we don’t win it next year,  Beane will blow up the staff.

Why waste another year?  I dont care how much of a Bills fan someone can be or how much of A nice guy Mcdormett is. Who actually believes anything will be better/different next year??  Every year its ***** something!!  Complete failure today.

Edited by billsfan3482

I said a while ago that McDermott will be our Bill Cowher.  Just good enough to not get fired.  

While we're drafting defense every year and selecting Cody Ford over DK Metcalf, the Bengals went and drafted Mixon, Higgins, Burrow and Chase.

For the love of God, get some game breaking weapons on this offense! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

you seem to miss the point.  Landry and Reid actually made it to championship games and super bowls. McDermott is a divisional round playoff guy after peaking three seasons ago. 

You're assuming he peaked. Andy Reid went to his first in his 6th year in Philly and then finally won his 7th year in Kansas City. How many Philly fans after those first 5 years or in KC his first 6 years there do you think said Reid "peaked" at multiple championship games or a Super bowl loss?

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

My mind won't be changed because simply because you and other people think that all coaches o lyrics deserve 5 years with a successful team before letting someone go. Andy Reid, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher. These are all HOF head coaches that won their Super Bowls later in their tenured but I would take any one of them including McDermott over firing him after just 6 seasons

‘the reason it took them so long is because they didn’t have a transcendent QB talent until later in their career. 

We already have that. McDermott had that starting his 3rd year. Significantly earlier than those guys. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

You're assuming he peaked. Andy Reid went to his first in his 6th year in Philly and then finally won his 7th year in Kansas City. How many Philly fans after those first 5 years or in KC his first 6 years there do you think said Reid "peaked" at multiple championship games or a Super bowl loss?

Not for nothing, Reid and the Eagles parted ways before they both won Super Bowls.

Edited by Chicken Boo

1 hour ago, iccrewman112 said:

I give McDermott the option to have 2 new coordinators to start the season or then we part ways.

I'm so sick of people blaming Frazier, he was literally handpicked by Mcdermott to run HIS defense. It's HIS scheme,  HIS defense, Frazier just running it under HIS direction. A defensive head coach doesn't bring in a new defensive scheme lol... could you imagine Andy Reid firing the OC and saying he's going to bring in a different offensive scheme?

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My opinion: the defense needs some updates on scheme, like other have said. But when you wish for new coordinators, remember that it may be difficult to find ones that improve on who they already have. They definitely missed Von too.On offense, we need to upgrade our offensive line. I’m not sure why the Bills seemed lackluster today. Maybe they are emotionally spent from the Damar cardiac arrest ordeal. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Do you think the Eagles said this every year of Andy Reid's tenure there? What about his first 5 or 6 years in Kansas City? He is a HOF head coached that took over 20 years to win his first Super Bowl. Relax

They’re about to win a second SB in 5 years - with 2 different coaches.  

2 minutes ago, Blazman11 said:

‘the reason it took them so long is because they didn’t have a transcendent QB talent until later in their career. 

We already have that. McDermott had that starting his 3rd year. Significantly earlier than those guys. 

Ok, he's still only in his 6th year. How would you feel if we won it with him next year? Or the year after? Would that change your mind?

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

They’re about to win a second SB in 5 years - with 2 different coaches.  

And your point is? Andy Reid still has hardware and a hof resume

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

His timeout usage is a problem. Yes, we had a bad day. But he still deserves a couple more chances at least. Allen is here for the foreseeable future so we can give a little more time before giving another coach a shot

His handling of the Hamlin situation is the only thing that earns him another shot in my mind. He was impressive with that. But he needs to make a lot of changes next year. They are 31st in tackling, Cincy was first, we were top 3 in drops & turnovers. Details matter & McD is not buttoned up on details. So next year needs to be different or yeah, it should be time for a change.

Just now, Donuts and Doritos said:

His handling of the Hamlin situation is the only thing that earns him another shot in my mind. He was impressive with that. But he needs to make a lot of changes next year. They are 31st in tackling, Cincy was first, we were top 3 in drops & turnovers. Details matter & McD is not buttoned up on details. So next year needs to be different or yeah, it should be time for a change.

There needs to be changes, no doubt, but he deserves at least another year or 2

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ok, he's still only in his 6th year. How would you feel if we won it with him next year? Or the year after? Would that change your mind?

‘I’ve said it already in earlier replies. My pitchfork isn’t completely out yet for McDermott. 

‘’everyone makes mistakes. But your ability to learn and grow from those mistakes makes someone great. Of course I would be happy if the Bills won the SB next year or the year after. But right now I have not seen ANY evidence that McDermott has learned from his previous playoff coaching mistakes. That’s what is very concerning to me. 

Maybe the light switch clicks next year?  Maybe I win the lotto. How long do you want to wait and chew through a potential HOF QB talent in his prime?  In sports you can never say well next year is it.  Guys get older. Guys get injured. Guys don’t progress. Guys regress. We missed 3 prime opportunities to win a SB when we had the same level of talent as everyone. There is no guarantee we roll out the same talent level next year. 

im not saying fire McDermott tomorrow. But I’m open at least to having the conversation. 

Edited by Blazman11

Just now, Blazman11 said:

‘I’ve said it already in earlier replies. My pitchfork isn’t completely out yet for McDermott. 

‘’everyone makes mistakes. But your ability to learn and grow from those mistakes makes someone great. Of course I would be happy if the Bills won the SB next year or the year after. But right now I have not seen ANY evidence that McDermott has learned from his previous playoff coaching mistakes. 

Maybe the light switch clicks next year?  Maybe I win the lotto. How long do you want to wait and chew through a potential HOF QB talent in his prime?  In sports you can never say well next year is it.  Guys get older. Guys get injured. Guys don’t progress. Guys regress. We missed 3 prime opportunities to win a SB when we had the same level of talent as everyone. There is no guarantee we roll out the same talent level next year. 

His timeout usage is his biggest issue and his loyalty to people is his other big issue but I do believe he is the kind of coach that can get us there. Things need to change. He is on a shorter leash in my opinion, but it isn't the point yet to do anything. 

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Peyton was a loser who couldn't win anything with years of stacked New Orleans teams and was responsible for Bountygate. 

Agree, you want to make changes fine.  But Peyton won one SB with one of best QB's in league, but also had a few .500 seasons and lost a number of playoff games as big favorite.  Don't think he's all that much of an improvement.  Just not a fan. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pigpen65 said:

The offense needs an experienced coordinator. No ifs, ands, or buts. Dorsey is flat out in over his head. 

I agree but I would ride with Dorsey another year.  We scored second highest points in the NFL, he was a rookie coach, give him 1 offseason and year 2 to upgrade his system.   

• Disagree 2

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

We are stuck and there is no way out. Pegula is not going to get rid of Beane and McDermott.  McDermott has done too much for the franchise and the city to be canned. So we will waste another year on Dungy 2.0 only to come up short again. We are now on three years wasted of the best QB play this team has ever had. And nothing to show for it. Next year will be four and the cap situation will only keep getting worse. 

TONY DUNGY WON A $!$!$$@ SUPER BOWL, or did you miss that past of NFL history?

24 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree, you want to make changes fine.  But Peyton won one SB with one of best QB's in league, but also had a few .500 seasons and lost a number of playoff games as big favorite.  Don't think he's all that much of an improvement.  Just not a fan. 

Anyone who thinks Sean Payton is better than McDermott and is trashing Tony Dungy are CLUELESS as to his record as a coach.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

We are stuck and there is no way out. Pegula is not going to get rid of Beane and McDermott.  McDermott has done too much for the franchise and the city to be canned. So we will waste another year on Dungy 2.0 only to come up short again. We are now on three years wasted of the best QB play this team has ever had. And nothing to show for it. Next year will be four and the cap situation will only keep getting worse. 

This team needed a teacher and a father figure. Now they need a mercenary assassin. Give Josh Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh and Bills win the SuperBowl next year. 

Its not going to happen so we had just be prepared for another year of this crap. When McDermott says we will learn and grow from this I hope some reporter has the balls to say when do you stop learning and winning instead?

There’s a real chance that we see a change in the DC and OC this off-season. That’s step 1 toward a HC’s seat warming up. I don’t know if it will happen, but I think it needs to. As part of that change, McDermott needs to cede control of the defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.