Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

3 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Honest question: deep down, most of us knew this wasn’t the SB year, right?. Sure, we won 8 in a row, but it just never felt like last year. Maybe it’s why I’m not upset right now, but I 100% didn’t expect to make it to the SB this year. Hopefully it’s that and not just finally apathy. 

It didn't feel like it was meant to be heading into the end of this season.   Next season is gonna be even worse.  Too much missed draft capital the last few seasons as other teams are starting to leapfrog us with some of their top picks.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Trock said:

Defense wins championships Sean. Make the necessary adjustments. 

Even more than having a pass rush the entire system we run is predicated off having good coverage.  We haven't had good coverage most of the year and everything falls apart after that.  Pass rush will never get there if there's always someone open and we have never been great at stopping the run.  We hope for splash plays to stop drives.  Against the Pats or Miami's 3rd string QB we had a chance but most teams carved us up pretty easily.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Trock said:

Defense wins championships Sean. Make the necessary adjustments. 

I disagree.  Defenses can keep you from winning championships.  Offenses win you championships. The Bills focus on their D and their pushing resources to the defense at the expense of the offense has caught up with them. We will continue to slide relative to the rest of the AFC if we don't change our approach and throw resources at the offense.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, UmbrellaMan said:

The Bengals are a terrible matchup for Buffalo. Had Baltimore pulled the upset last week the Bills would be going to the AFC championship game.

Cincy is built to exploit all of our weaknesses. Chase is arguably the best WR in the NFL. 

Plus, to all of you talking about firings, do you remember where we were for almost 2 decades!?! I am enjoying this run. Josh Allen makes you a contender all by himself. Maybe next year the ball bounces our way.

My argument for not moving on from McBeane is the Sabres.

It’s taken them 12 years to put this team together and they still might miss the playoffs. 

I am OK with moving on from the coordinators though. 

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Honestly we need a new DC and OC. Both have been bad. Spare me the season numbers. When it counted they were over matched. 13 seconds last year and 60 minutes today. 3rd and 2 on a key possession and we go long. No understanding of situational football. Looking deep on every play. We need an adult OC and  DC with some aggression. 

It’s McD’s scheme and philosophy. If he doesn’t like it, he’s had years to change anything, that’s the job of the Head Coach and why he’s called that. 

I don’t know why so many people here are apologists for McDermott. Yeah Frazier sucks, but he’s an extension of McD. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree.  Defenses can keep you from winning championships.  Offenses win you championships. The Bills focus on their D and their pushing resources to the defense at the expense of the offense has caught up with them. We will continue to slide relative to the rest of the AFC if we don't change our approach and throw resources at the offense.

Offenses problems were not lack of resources.  They're predictable and easily blitzed. 

Changes need to be based upon the entire work of the full season. Our defense has lead the league in missed tackles for most of the year. Too many games having wide receivers wide open and zero pass rush, especially with Miller out. Frazier needs to be replaced. Our defensive strategy is not aggressive enough, even saw that from him last year against KC in the playoff game. Beane has his work cut out this off season with both the players and coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Cincy's D dominated us. 

Yes they did because we have not focused on the O line and skill players.  I live in Cincinnati and they have pushed more resources to their offense then they have their defense.  The game was lost today in the 1st quarter when the Bengals OFFENSE had two 75 yard plus TD drives to go up 14 - 0.  The rest of the game was window dressing.

43 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

McD isn't the best HC in the NFL, but he is one of the top 5 or 10.  

People calling for his head are like the people calling for Tony Dungy's head in Tampa.  In Tampa, they didn't believe Dungy could win a Super Bowl despite his success getting his team into the playoffs.   So, after Tampa canned him, Dungy won the Lombardi for Indy instead.  

Took him years to win one in Indy and it took a Tampa a year to win one without him

The only word I can use to describe the Bills performance today is "incompetent."

That was one of the most putrid defensive performances I've ever seen from a McD team, at one of the worst moments imaginable.  Dorsey trotted out the same boring vanilla BS that has barely been working since the Green Bay game. Diggs has a right to be angry, the talent on this team is being held back by poor coordinators who can't rise up to the challenge.

The D-Line was horrifically bad as well, what a waste of picks.

I've never been on the "fire the coaching staff" train but man it feels like a real shake up is needed.  Absolutely pathetic attempt at a game by the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

McD has no imprint on this team he is just the CEO that does PR and claps, Dorsey runs the offense no accountability , Frasier does the Defense no accountability. So why is he even here. Other coaches are involved with players om the sideline talking making adj but not him.

15 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Honest question: deep down, most of us knew this wasn’t the SB year, right?. Sure, we won 8 in a row, but it just never felt like last year. Maybe it’s why I’m not upset right now, but I 100% didn’t expect to make it to the SB this year. Hopefully it’s that and not just finally apathy. 

You are wrong. Most here did think it was a Super Bowl year. When anyone said anything negative they would get crucified. Point to stats about how good the offense and defense is. 

The playoffs are a different animal than the regular season. We saw that vs Tenn last year and Minn last week. Unfortunately, we just saw it today in Buffalo. Anyone who thinks Buffalo is the better team just doesn't know football. 

1 minute ago, jcamm1966 said:

McD has no imprint on this team he is just the CEO that does PR and claps, Dorsey runs the offense no accountability , Frasier does the Defense no accountability. So why is he even here. Other coaches are involved with players om the sideline talking making adj but not him.

Yup watch the Eagles staff last night…. 

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

Offenses problems were not lack of resources.  They're predictable and easily blitzed. 

I disagree.  Our RB's are to small.  Our O line has only one above average player.  The rest are below average.  For crying out loud on a snow covered field the Bengal managed to get hurries on Allen on almost half his drop backs!  And our offensive skill players?  We have one great WR the rest are below average.

Over the course of this season I had blinders on because we were winning. I didn't want to recognize the fundamental issues that my eyes were seeing.  We won 13 games primarily because of the elite play of our QB and WR#1. 

I comforted myself in our defensive rankings.  We couldn't be bad because we were a top 5 unit by almost every measure.  Yet in to many games the D seemed to melt away at critical moments giving up game changing plays and drives.  Think about today. After coming out flat and letting the Bengal's jump out to a 14 - 0 lead we cut their lead to 14 - 7 and how does the D respond? They allow an 8 minute drive that only ends in a FG and not a TD because of a great play by Millano on the ball. Then after we use up half the 3rd quarter to again cut the Cincy lead to one score our D gives up a long TD drive that uses up most of the rest of the 3rd quarter to go up 24 - 10.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Similar price for A.J. Brown was a bigger mistake. 

There is no way you can afford to pay 2 WRs #1 money.

Every team in the NFL relies on a true #1 and a guy on a rookie deal. Look around and find me one team that pays 2 WRs #1 money.

You won't find me one because there isn't one.

Game plan on offense and defense today was terrible on both sides of the ball. Still don't understand why the bills offense never seems to switch things up. Did we see a single play action pass today? Or a designed screen? Or any kind of creative run with singeltary or cook? Allen had (2?) deep shots today vs 60 deep shots last week. I mean, just a little creativity please 

• Like (+1) 1

With all the injuries on defense who was going to be the difference maker?  Poyer has been playing wounded for weeks.  We needed a playmaker and we have none.  That said Frazier needs to mix it up better.  Someone needs to get to the QB.  Especially when you are playing 2, 3rd, and 4th string players throughout your secondary.

4 minutes ago, Jamone said:

Not pulling the trigger on mccafferry was this teams biggest mistake. 🫡

I don't want to hear talk of paying another RB of any caliber until we are heavily invested in at least 2 to 3 stud OLinemen

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

For those who think status quo is fine, with everything remaining static what makes you think we compete  any better next season?

Color me concerned that we’re wasting one of the top 5 QB’s in the game today.

We won't so long as the rest of the conference keeps improving.  We'll be lucky to win the division next year if the Dolphins don't go on losing streaks and the Jets find a QB.  Bengals and Chiefs are clearly in another class than us.  So we're going to be scraping into the playoffs and will probably be perennial one-and-done or won-and-not-done but lose easily in the divisional round.  Fun!

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I guess I meant I was more relaxed this game and accepting of defeat than after thinking we had won the game last year…

13 seconds was like they ripped your beating heart out of your chest and showed it to you as you died.  This year, they shivved us in the gut, but we made it to the hospital in time to live another day.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

They got bullied!! Not the first time it happened

The 2nd half of the Green Bay game was an eye opener, solidified by the Jets game in NJ. I think the scheme is a big part of it but it’s utterly deflating to get steamrolled like that.

Edited by Punch
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

There is no way you can afford to pay 2 WRs #1 money.

Every team in the NFL relies on a true #1 and a guy on a rookie deal. Look around and find me one team that pays 2 WRs #1 money.

You won't find me one because there isn't one.

Devils advocate…Bucs

Godwin and Evans? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.