Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

I lay a lot of this blame at Beans feet.  We had the line he built reatively intact and injury free, and today, Allen was pressured on roughly 50% of his dropbacks...a pathetic statistic...not that there was a whole lot open to throw to...

Think you will find the interior D-line played pretty hurt at the end of the season..thats why the run defense dropped off at the end of the season..but the edge rushers??..lots of draft capital there and they were non existant today

• Like (+1) 1

I was afraid of this.  During the regular season a good team can win with smoke and mirrors but not in the playoffs.

Our defense was throughly outplayed, mostly the D line.

Much of this is attributable to injuries to key players as well as the general wear & tear of playing 18 games.

Of for the offense, our receiver corps was depleted by injuries. The OL needs to be upgraded.

Oh well, onto next season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

This is unexcusable.  Not even considering we have one of the best qbs to ever play football.  Coaching needs to address the Offense heavy in the draft or they should be on the hot seat.  They obviously can not evaluate the DL well.  We should have the #1 DL in the league based off our draft capital and FA contracts spent.  They are somehow garbage.  Stop with it.  Just stop with the Defensive draft and FA signings.  It has absolutely failed to this point

If the DL sucks then we need an entirely new Defensive persona. This is the impetus to send Frazier packing. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

You are saying no one is to be held accountable after today??

Who was held accountable after the loss in KC last season? Levi Wallace? The guy who we probably missed this year? This team will do nothing. Fraizer has been horrible. We never get any pressure and every good QB has all day to cut us up. Every physical team dominates us on both sides of the ball. This ***** isn’t new. Been this way for 3 seasons 

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

McDemott will start the 2023 season on the hot seat. The reality is when expectations are high just making the playoffs no longer cuts it. 

Forget who it was, maybe @Chaos ?but they did a great breakdown of how a head coach and QB combo will win the Super Bowl within the first 5 seasons of being together. McDemott and Allen are going into year six next season. They are currently going backwards. Allen isn’t going anywhere.   

This was oddly merged with a different thread. I think this link takes you to the post you referenced. 

One of the problems with the o-line is Morse.  

Centers in this league need to be athletic and play with leverage.  

Morse is too slow to get out on linebackers or pull down the line.   He’s a gamer but limited. 

he should be moved to guard. 

Edited by Dr Divit
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

We need to concentrate on the trenches and get a little more old school if we ever expect to get close again. 

Also have to say that this Organization as a whole has got to stop thinking they are golden just because we have a great QB. I've been saying this for 2 years now and people on Buffalo radio mock folks like me who want to see the Bills get serious about fielding a more balanced team on Offense. Did Cincy just drop back and throw deep to those WR's all day? Nope... When you have a QB as good as Josh, it's literally a cheat code if you build an O-line that can play smash mouth...You don't have to run more than pass or any of that garbage. Andy Reid uses the short passing game and screens (as runs basically) a ton...The Ravens screened this Bengals D all game last week. But we are not balanced and it shows itself too often when we can't make the big plays on Offense over the top.

On Defense, this team has been exposed. Offensive coordinators know how to scheme guys wide open and they just play the YAC game on us. OK...You're going to give us that much cushion, we'll just pitch and catch you to death. And the tackling...Oh my goodness it's bad...No way you can continue to play this zone D vs. the up and coming NFL Offenses. Too much talent on the field now. You have to match it with pressure, disruption at the line of scrimmage, and sure tackling...We have almost none of that. 

Very humbling experience...But honestly I should have known something like this was coming. They flirted with it all year...It was only a matter of time, and tbh I'm glad it did not come in the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Which is strange for a defensive minded HC. 

Yes it is but his defense is super safe and conservative!..his idea of defense is not my idea of cold snowy Buffalo defense....he runs a warm weather Uber conservative defense that doesn't take chances...don't dictate the offense and sits back in soft zones waiting to react...hopes to get a turnover on a mistake....great teams don't make those mistakes in the playoffs and great defenses FORCE those mistakes by laying it all on the line and being physical!

Edited by Billever76

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Josh Allen is his own problem. Singletary is wide open in the flat on the INT

That doesn’t explain the defense. The offense and defense both sucked which falls on the head coach as much as the coordinators. The only reason I would give McD a pass this game is this team has been through a lot emotionally and may have been drained. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Super Bowl window closed right after the 13 seconds happened last year. Coaching is awful, more players will leave, and they are in salary cap trouble right now..

The entire AFC will be better next year, and the bills will once again go into decline. They will make the playoffs most years but last year it was it, it’s a shame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

I'm pissed off too, mostly because like you I have to watch all my neighbors celebrate another trip to the Super Bowl. 

Yep I’m directly in the heart of bengals country. That said, being so close I’ve seen how much better they are than us and how burrow just has IT whatever IT is. He’s also got better coaching, infinitely better weapons and a good defense. Josh has NONE OF THAT

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t agree with that. I think it’s fraizers. Just like his POS defenses were in Minnesota. 

McD’s the head coach that’s a defensive coach. If he doesn’t like anything about the defense, he can step in. That’s the responsibility of a Head Coach and why they’re called the Head Coach. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

I know the tagline of this board is “everyone else’s fault besides Allen” but Mahomes widened the gap this year and Burrow overtook him. Really have to cut down the turnovers next year. 

WTF are you talking about ? The Bills lost THIS game due to getting their asses kicked on both sides of the line.

Allen committed ONE turnover at the end of garbage time. He got abused by Cinci’s D.

STFU

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Who was held accountable after the loss in KC last season? Levi Wallace? The guy who we probably missed this year? This team will do nothing. Fraizer has been horrible. We never get any pressure and every good QB has all day to cut us up. Every physical team dominates us on both sides of the ball. This ***** isn’t new. Been this way for 3 seasons 

Levi Wallace and Spwcial teams coach. And that was t enough. Frazier should’ve been gone also….

Hopefully after this Frazier is a goner. 

1 minute ago, Best Williams Available said:

If the DL sucks then we need an entirely new Defensive persona. This is the impetus to send Frazier packing. 

Whatever it takes.  Is it Frazier or is our Dline been basically bust and wasted FA money?  Its a serious question 

Instead of building a championship team we built a team that beats up on bad teams.  Instead of coming into the playoffs being a team that can run or pass and stop the run or stop the pass we throw all the damn time and if the big plays don't happen we don't score.  Defense can't cover.  I mean our pass rush is not the best but there are almost no cover sacks because the opposing QB's always have somewhere to throw the ball.  

6 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Must be a harsh reality to those who bashed us that called this all week. This was always a bad matchup for us but more importantly I HOPE (can’t stress that enough) that this gets frazier canned and McDermott (although that’s not happening). Will you all admit Beane isn’t all that great either finally? Hasn’t drafted a pro bowler in 4 years. Holes everywhere. 

Our offensive and defensive lines were manhandled.  But of course the coaches should have just had them play harder?  Face it we were physically overpowered today.  It certainly didn't help that we fell behind by 14 early.  Playing behind by a lot most of the day allowed the Bengals to keep bringing pressure on Josh.  But lord their "backup" O-line and running game just made our D look bad.  I don't think it's coaching, I think we need to upgrade our talent on both lines.

3 minutes ago, familykwi said:

To be honest, this loss tells us where this team is.  They are NOT the deepest roster in football.  Last year hurt WAY more.  The game in KC was winnable.  With that roster.  This year, they simply suffered too many setbacks, some external, some self inflicted.

This team can still win it all, but they have work to do to be sure.

The way this roster is constructed and the lack of recent productive drafts, without Allen this is a 6 or 7 win team.  Build the lines on both sides of the ball and move on from Frazier.

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

First real “loss” this year. First time I felt they were beat down and outplayed. From start to finish. 

Bengals had better game plan for the weather. Run hard and short swing passes.

Agreed. They came out of the tunnel like their nose was punched and their lunch money was taken. Not sure how you could come into a game like this flat but they sure played with no spirit from start to finish. Really disappointing way to go into the next few months. Ugh.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.