De ja vu

Shaw66

Has anyone else noticed how, where the Bills sit right now, is eerily like their Super Bowl run?

Who was the big team of the era, a Super Bowl power house, that never faced the Bills in the Super Bowl?  San Francisco.

What was odd about the Bills opponent in the four Super Bowls.  Three teams from the NFC East. 

Who's left on the NFC side of the bracket today?  San Francisco and three teams from the NFC East.  

• Like (+1) 12
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Has anyone else noticed how, where the Bills sit right now, is eerily like their Super Bowl run?

Who was the big team of the era, a Super Bowl power house, that never faced the Bills in the Super Bowl?  San Francisco.

What was odd about the Bills opponent in the four Super Bowls.  Three teams from the NFC East. 

Who's left on the NFC side of the bracket today?  San Francisco and three teams from the NFC East.  

No I did not notice, I was in a good mood.

• Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Or the Bengals Super Bowl run where they beat Buffalo and lost to SF.

That AFC Championship loss to Cincy still burns m’azz! Biggest play of the game was a botched face mask  call on Bruce Smith! 3rd Down play, Bruce makes an inside move and smashes Eisiason in the chest so hard it convolts his body! Bruce is very dark complexioned and Cincy’s jerseys and face masks were black. Bruce never touched his face mask! They get an automatic 1st down and score a TD to win 21-10. BASTARDS!😡

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

That AFC Championship loss to Cincy still burns m’azz! Biggest play of the game was a botched face mask  call on Bruce Smith! 3rd Down play, Bruce makes an inside move and smashes Eisiason in the chest so hard it convolts his body! Bruce is very dark complexioned and Cincy’s jerseys and face masks were black. Bruce never touched his face mask! They get an automatic 1st down and score a TD to win 21-10. BASTARDS!😡

Bruce also hurt his leg in that game and tried to play through it but he was never the same.  I blame Chip Lohmiller who missed the chip shot field a week earlier for Washington that would have beat Cincy and given us the home field advantage.  We were almost unbeatable at home during that time period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hey Chan, that one burns still me up too -- but I remember that play differently. I recall that Bruce was falling and reached up and grabbed the front of Boomer's jersey (right on the numbers) and pulled him to the ground with one arm; incredible strength. Of course Boomer's head bent down following this chest, so from behind it looked like Bruce was pulling the facemask, and out came the false flag ("bastards" indeed!). 

Umm, wait a sec ... is it possible I am thinking of Ben Williams on Ken Anderson in the '82 playoffs? LOL ... I'm old. 

Edited by Stranded in Boston

10 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

That long awaited Bills vs 49ers Super Bowl matchup could be on the horizon 

I'll put Allen against Purdy any day.   Would prefer to beat the Cowboys in a SB revenge game for sure, but SF a good second choice.   Philly is meh, and Giants would be a fun reunion.  

• Like (+1) 2

The 49ers seem like the hottest team in the NFL.

But it's really hard for me to trust a rookie QB (especially a 7th rounder) to roll through the playoffs and win a Super Bowl.

At some point, one of these defensive coordinators is going to spot his flaws on film and hit him with something unexpected.  Right?

I just feel like Brock Purdy is going to suddenly lay an egg and kill their season.  It very well could be this week.

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I was born and raised in Southern California. Zero ties to upside New York. That game, of which you speak so vividly, is the game that made me a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, skibum said:

The Niners remind me of the 'Skins in SB26. They came out of nowhere with an unsung quarterback to become a dominant team, for just that one year. Kinda gives me the willies. 

If their head coach wasn't part of so many collapses I would agree, but his play calling both with the Falcons and 49ers doesn't fully give me fear.

For me the deja vu started 2 years ago. We lost the championship game (to the Bengals) in our star quarterback's 3rd year. The next year we took a step back by losing in the divisional round. Then we started a SB run against NFC East teams in our star quarterback's 5th year - with our first playoff game at home against Miami.

Go Bills! Beat the kitty kats.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

And guess where the SB is being played? In the Cardinals' stadium.  If Bills face Eagles they'd have faced all 4 NFCeast teams and have played in the Stadium where the one other team had it's roots in the NFCeast... 

5 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Hey Chan, that one burns still me up too -- but I remember that play differently. I recall that Bruce was falling and reached up and grabbed the front of Boomer's jersey (right on the numbers) and pulled him to the ground with one arm; incredible strength. Of course Boomer's head bent down following this chest, so from behind it looked like Bruce was pulling the facemask, and out came the false flag ("bastards" indeed!). 

Umm, wait a sec ... is it possible I am thinking of Ben Williams on Ken Anderson in the '82 playoffs? LOL ... I'm old. 

No, I think you nailed it. #BASTARDS!😡

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

For me the deja vu started 2 years ago. We lost the championship game (to the Bengals) in our star quarterback's 3rd year. The next year we took a step back by losing in the divisional round. Then we started a SB run against NFC East teams in our star quarterback's 5th year - with our first playoff game at home against Miami.

Go Bills! Beat the kitty kats.

Same. Thought everyone saw this similarity.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What I remember from that AFC Championship game was that at that point it still seemed utterly impossible to think of the Bills ever actually playing in a Super Bowl. 

1988 Bills are one of my favorite teams ever. Started 11-1, lost 3 of 4 to lose home field to Cincy.

Monster defense, offense figuring it out.

4 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Then look what happened  

Exactly. I remember having no anxiety while watching that game from a ski lodge in Mammoth Lakes, California. My buddies all wondered why I wanted to skip the morning on the slopes to watch the game. It seemed like more of a curiosity then anything else. The years preceding had been filled with such hit and miss results, but mostly some pretty hard-to-swallow misses. The Super Bowl seemed like a game that 'other' teams got to play in.  There was no way little Buffalo would ever ascend to that level. When the game was over, and we had lost, in what I recall as a pretty uneventful affair, I remember saying "Oh well, that figures." Then fast forward and 51-3 happened and the impossible was suddenly....possible! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Exactly. I remember having no anxiety while watching that game from a ski lodge in Mammoth Lakes, California. My buddies all wondered why I wanted to skip the morning on the slopes to watch the game. It seemed like more of a curiosity then anything else. The years preceding had been filled with such hit and miss results, but mostly some pretty hard-to-swallow misses. The Super Bowl seemed like a game that 'other' teams got to play in.  There was no way little Buffalo would ever ascend to that level. When the game was over, and we had lost, in what I recall as a pretty uneventful affair, I remember saying "Oh well, that figures." Then fast forward and 51-3 happened and the impossible was suddenly....possible! 

Yes that's good perspective!  I feel like even if we don't make it to the Super Bowl this year we are close to getting back to the big dance.  This has just been such a draining and challenging season, I just feel like the pieces might not be in place to do it this year but they have also shown me this group does have the heart of a champion and I still believe they will get back soon. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.