Updated scenario for scheduling to be voted on Friday

The 9 Isles

From Tom Pelissero:

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1611184918670807041?s=46&t=RrhAPVYRUD6gwIBnYR-f9Q

NFL clubs will consider Friday in a Special League Meeting a resolution recommended by the Commissioner and approved today by the Competition Committee, governing both the AFC Championship Game and ramifications on the AFC North winners. Here’s the two-part resolution:

1. The AFC Championship Game will be played at a neutral site if the participating teams played an unequal number of games and both could have been the number one seed and hosted the game had all AFC clubs played a full 17-game regular season. Those circumstances involve Buffalo or Cincinnati qualifying for the game as a road team and are listed below:

Scenario 1

Buffalo and Kansas City both win or both tie - a Buffalo vs Kansas City championship game would be at a neutral site.

Scenario 2

Buffalo and Kansas Cit both lose and Baltimore wins or ties - a Buffalo vs Kansas

City championship game would be at a neutral site.

Scenario 3

Buffalo and Kansas City both lose and Cincinnati wins - a Buffalo or Cincinnati vs

Kansas City championship game would be at a neutral site.

2. If Baltimore defeats Cincinnati in Week 18 it will have defeated Cincinnati, a divisional opponent, twice but will not be able to host a playoff game because Cincinnati will have a higher winning percentage for a 16-game schedule than Baltimore will for a 17-game schedule.

If Baltimore defeats Cincinnati and if those two clubs are schedule to play a Wild Card game against one another, the site for that game would be determined by a coin toss. If Cincinnati wins the Week 18 game or if Baltimore and Cincinnati are not scheduled to play one another in the Wild Card round, the game sites would be determined by the regular scheduling procedures.

"As we considered the football schedule, our principles have been to limit disruption across the league and minimize competitive inequities," Goodell said. "I recognize that there is no perfect solution. The proposal we are asking the ownership to consider, however, addresses the most significant potential equitable issues created by the difficult, but necessary, decision not to play the game under these extraordinary circumstances

5 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Don’t like it at all, stupid. Gives Chiefs the bye week and takes away home field that they had a chance of not having anyways. Was better to make them choose between home field or a bye week, with the 2 seed getting the other option.  

Vegas wins + BUF wins = BUF 1 seed + bye and home field

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Agreed let’s hope this happens, however unlikely it is. But even if KC wins and we end up 2 seed, at least we now know we will not have to end up playing in Arrowhead in a potential AFC championship game. I’ll take a neutral field over Arrowhead any day. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

So, long story short for the Bills:

KC loss + Bills win = Bills #1 Seed - Bye and HFA

KC win + Bills win OR CIN loss = Bills #2 Seed -  Potential Wild Card Round matchups are JAX, NE, MIA, PIT

Bills lose + Bengals win = Bills #3 Seed - Hosting BLT in the Wild Card Round 

Of the remaining teams in the playoff hunt, the Bills cannot play the Titans or Chargers in the Wild Card Round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't really care for this idea. It's not like it is hard to win in KC. We've "basically" done that three straight times. The killer is not having a bye and having to beat both the Chiefs and Bengals rather than just one of the top 3 teams in the conference. But honestly, the Chargers are pretty darn good too and are just now getting healthy. Chargers could beat any of the top three teams as well. 

Shouldn't the pending Divisional round game between Buffalo and Cincinatti also be played at a neutral site? Had the Bengals beaten us they would have the tiebreaker over the Bills. 

33 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Agreed let’s hope this happens, however unlikely it is. But even if KC wins and we end up 2 seed, at least we now know we will not have to end up playing in Arrowhead in a potential AFC championship game. I’ll take a neutral field over Arrowhead any day. 

Depends where neutral site is. Knowing league it is likely Dallass due to Jerry Jones influence, original home of KC Chiefs.

42 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Don’t like it at all, stupid. Gives Chiefs the bye week and takes away home field that they had a chance of not having anyways. Was better to make them choose between home field or a bye week, with the 2 seed getting the other option.  

I don’t see how they could’ve made it any fairer.  There wasn’t a perfect solution.

Just now, Limeaid said:

Depends where neutral site is. Knowing league it is likely Dallass due to Jerry Jones influence, original home of KC Chiefs.

Rumors are Indy.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Seeing as I have confidence we will beat NE on Sunday (we may kill them with the good news today), suddenly, the GAME OF THE YEAR seems to be KC vs. Raiders on Saturday!

What Bills fan won't watch?

4:30pm!

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm kinda torn because what if Atlanta is the neutral site for the AFCCG?  Then I selfishly get to see them here but it should be in Buffalo.  That's the Mothership and I live in a Satellite Bills location.

The only way it would be at a neutral site is if the Bills make it as the road team.

Regardless of what else happens, if the Bills win Sunday, they will not go on the road, except if they play the Chiefs and that would be at a neutral site.

Edited by BLeonard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Long story short here is, as long as the Bills win Sunday, they will not go on the road, unless they play KC and even that would be at a neutral location.

IF KC loses Saturday and the Bills win, the Bills could host KC in the AFC Championship in Buffalo.

Edited by BLeonard

This is not a good solution. So Buffalo and Cinci win in the wildcard and then Cinci has to come to Buffalo? Not fair to them. And KC, who lost to Buf and Cinci, is the #1 seed and gets a bye? Dumb

The correct solution was 8 teams, no byes, any games between KC-Buf-Cin takes place at neutral site. Simple. None of this if this happens then this or that. Too confusing and not fair

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

This is not a good solution. So Buffalo and Cinci win in the wildcard and then Cinci has to come to Buffalo? Not fair to them. And KC, who lost to Buf and Cinci, is the #1 seed and gets a bye? Dumb

The correct solution was 8 teams, no byes, any games between KC-Buf-Cin takes place at neutral site. Simple. None of this if this happens then this or that. Too confusing and not fair

Cinci could have avoided this by coming into the Bills game with the same number of losses as the Bills, but they had more

7 minutes ago, arcane said:

Cinci could have avoided this by coming into the Bills game with the same number of losses as the Bills, but they had more

And Bills went into the game as the #1 seed and left as the #2 seed. So this hurts Cinci and Buffalo and KC comes out on top. The correct thing to do is add an 8th playoff team and nobody gets a bye.

18 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Going into week 17 bills were ahead of Cincinnati in the standings. The chiefs were not ahead of us. It's completely different. 

If Cincinnati wanted the 2 seed they should have done better in their first 15 games. 

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Going into week 17 bills were ahead of Cincinnati in the standings. The chiefs were not ahead of us. It's completely different. 

If Cincinnati wanted the 2 seed they should have done better in their first 15 games. 

Right, the Chiefs were not ahead of us. And now they are. They are the only ones that win in this scenario and it's punishing the 2 teams that had to go through this terrible ordeal. Just add 1 playoff team, I'm not sure why that would not be the ideal solution

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Right, the Chiefs were not ahead of us. And now they are. They are the only ones that win in this scenario and it's punishing the 2 teams that had to go through this terrible ordeal. Just add 1 playoff team, I'm not sure why that would not be the ideal solution

Adding an extra team screws teams that made some IR choices, QB choices etc, thinking they were done...if 8 was on the table last week, the Raiders, Jets, Titans, Ravens ALL may well have done A WHOLE lot of things differently.  

• Agree 1

Something of note...the NFL does have rules in place for this.  In a no contest, you go with win pct and the chips fall where they fall.  That is the current rule. 

The owners are now going to get together on Friday and vote to CHANGE the rules in season.  That is the reason for the vote.  If they were just using the rules in place, you'd have no contest, win pct, and that's it.

I am NOT arguing that is fair, right, what should or shouldn't happen, but I am pointing out that the NFL is considering a rule change on the fly for this.  

Obviously, I think all of us wish the Bengals/Bills game could be concluded so there would be no question of who should or shouldn't get what.  No one wants an asterik next to their team name in the event they win a super bowl.  

At any rate, it will require 24 votes from the owners to pass any rule change on Friday.  My guess is they probably have the votes to pass it or they wouln't be putting the options forward...but I would imagine KC, Cincy, may or may not resist and try and find 7 other teams to vote along with them.  

23 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

What ifff… Chiefs 14-3, Bills 13-3,

Bengals 12-4

KC gets the bye as the 1 seed, but Buffalo Hosts the AFCCG because they kicked their ass earlier in the year, and are gonna kick their asses again in late Jan. 

How bout that?

We won by four.  Relax.  LOL.  We can still host them if they by some miracle lose to the Raiders this Saturday.  Go Stidham.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JJGauna said:

Why are people so quick to dismiss the Raiders? Stidham torched one of the top defenses in the league last week. They have a legit shot against KC.

I don’t put much into out of conference games.  

They usually can be wild - think Minnesota v Buffalo or Rams v Buffalo or Bengals v Bucs

Division games different animal and I expect the Chiefs to dismantle this team.   

The Raiders D is so freaking bad.  

27 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

KC gets the bye as the 1 seed, but Buffalo Hosts the AFCCG because they kicked their ass earlier in the year, and are gonna kick their asses again in late Jan.

My god, that game seems like a lifetime ago.

10 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

At any rate, it will require 24 votes from the owners to pass any rule change on Friday.  My guess is they probably have the votes to pass it or they wouln't be putting the options forward...but I would imagine KC, Cincy, may or may not resist and try and find 7 other teams to vote along with them.  

I guess they should just put up a vote for AFC winning percentage to determine the seeding then.

4 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1611216418233614336?s=20&t=Mj3hkyrx6NP2LEqHxzB5Lg

....they wouldn't need a vote at all.  that's already the rule that's in place.  

That's overall win percentage if I'm reading it correctly.  The last thing NFL owners want is to vote against a new rule proposal that would be viewed as unfair to a team whose player almost died on the field.  Not great optics.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.