Updated scenario for scheduling to be voted on Friday

The 9 Isles

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Alot of good that bye week did for Tennessee last year.

Well, it obviously doesn't guarantee subsequent victories. But it does guarantee a "victory" that week AND a week of rest watching rivals exhausting and injuring each other. That's a much bigger advantage than home field; I don't understand why people disagree. Adding an 8th playoff team and eliminating the bye for everyone is the only fair solution--and it has NO downsides. (KC fans will whine, but that's a plus in my book.) If the league doesn't adopt it, I'm ready to believe it's because they really do want the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. 

Seems like a decent compromise across the board. 

Everyone gets a mix of the good/bad scenarios that could have happened to them, depending on the results of the Monday Night game.

With a win, Buffalo could have gotten the bye and homefield throughout the playoffs.

With a loss, we could have been forced to play on the road in the divisional and championship games.

Instead... we lose the bye, but do get a home game in the divisional playoffs and won't be going to Arrowhead.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I think the Balt/Cinci coin flip only applies to the wild card round

That would make a lot more sense though it still seems odd to me that Baltimore could be treated as the 3 seed for the first round and then the 6 seed the rest of the way. 

18 minutes ago, Drey said:

The Bengals are definitely getting screwed the most with this plan. If the Bills and Bengals both win their week 18 games and face each other in the playoffs, it should not be in Buffalo.

I 100% agree with this.

The Bills HAD to beat the Bengals in Cincinatti at some point this season. Either last week or in the playoffs. Now it looks like the Bills will in all likelihood not have to beat the Bengals in Cincinatti. 

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

I almost wish the bills just volunteered a forfeit.  Then it’s Cincy as 1 and idle we make it, it would a replay of this game in Cincy effectively 

KC would still be the 1 seed unless they lose to the Raiders tomorrow. But putting the Bills at the 3 seed and the Bengals at the 2 seed would have made the msot sense. Then we get the rematch of the game in Cincinatti, the original venue, instead of Buffalo. 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd be most upset if I was a Bengals fan.  They had the ability to win the division and the number two seed in their hands before the MNF game.  Now they might not even get to host a playoff game if they lose against the Ravens and lose a coin flip despite technically winning the division.  They also lost the ability to host the Bills in the divisional round if the Bills beat the Pats.

The Bengals did get the short end of the stick.  But, we can all cheer for them against Baltimore!

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I kind of prefer the bye or homefield scenario over the one the NFL is going with. 

Ya it doesn’t reward KC - now the bye is worth more but at least they would have to go on the road. 

This scenario is a joke KC is protected from any tiebreakers from losing to bills and bengals and worst case they play in a neutral field.

just root for Vegas to fix this issue 

• Like (+1) 1

We're getting way ahead of ourselves here, but the Bills will probably be favored in any AFCCG against any opponent.  Bad weather is a field-leveler that always benefits the underdog.  I don't think we should mind playing on a neutral field, especially if it's a dome or a warm-weather location.  There's a very real likelihood that that will be better for us than playing in Orchard Park.  

10 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

I'm confused by why the Bengals feel they are getting shafted.  At the end of the day, of the 3 teams, they are the only one with 4 current losses.  

I think it's because they are not *guaranteed* a first round home game if they lose to the Ravens,,, AND they had a legit path to the 2 seed if they won the MNF game and maybe the 1 seed.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I think it's because they are not *guaranteed* a first round home game if they lose to the Ravens,,, AND they had a legit path to the 2 seed if they won the MNF game and maybe the 1 seed.

Can't blame them.  This is a ludicrous outcome.  If you're going to flip a coin, then do that to determine the outcome of the CIN/BUF game and be done with it.  The proposed solution is worse because it involves a coin flip plus a bunch of other stuff including a gratuitous screw-job for the Bengals.  

Edited by BillsFanSD

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

They still have a legit path to the 2 seed.  If Buffalo loses and Cincy wins, then they are the two seed.  It's weird to me why Cincy is scrambling for no votes.  Just beat the damn Ravens with a backup QB.  What are we talking about here?  If you lose, that means you lost TWICE to Baltimore anyways.  You SHOULD be worried about playing on the road.

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

Can't blame them.  This is a ludicrous outcome.  If you're going to flip a coin, then do that to determine the outcome of the CIN/BUF game and be done with it.  The proposed solution is worse because it involves a coin flip plus a bunch of other stuff including a gratuitous screw-job for the Bengals.  

I don't agree with the coin flip, either.  I don't believe you should be able to use ANY way to determine anything like that if it's in the Tiebreaking procedures.  Coin Flip is the 11th tie-breaker.  

The major problem is that we might be forced by the league to play on wild card weekend. The league will screw this situation up and make it even worse than it needs to be. If I were a player, I wouldn't be hiding my disgust. Watch us lose a key player in a game we shouldn't even be a part of and all these knuckleheads will be making pathetic excuses like "Life isn't fair." or "It was bad mojo." I hope we win the SB just to spite the league.

11 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Have to look at both sides of it - if Cinci had lost to the BIlls and then the Ravens, Cinci would've been the 5-6 seed and on the road. 

7 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

The major problem is that we might be forced by the league to play on wild card weekend. The league will screw this situation up and make it even worse than it needs to be. If I were a player, I wouldn't be hiding my disgust. Watch us lose a key player in a game we shouldn't even be a part of and all these knuckleheads will be making pathetic excuses like "Life isn't fair." or "It was bad mojo." I hope we win the SB just to spite the league.

I know nobody likes having this pointed out, but it was our players who voluntarily chose not to continue the game on Monday night.  If the #1 seed was really that important, they could have played on.  They didn't, and that's a perfectly defensible choice.  I imagine most of the players would have accepted a forfeit if that option had been presented to them on Monday night.  We should be happy with any outcome superior to that, and this outcome is definitely friendlier to the Bills than a forfeit.    

Edited by BillsFanSD

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I know nobody likes having this pointed out, but it was our players who voluntarily chose not to continue the game on Monday night.  If the #1 seed was really that important, they could have played on.  They didn't, and that's a perfectly defensible choice.  I imagine most of the players would have accepted a forfeit if that option had been presented to them on Monday night.  We should be happy with any outcome superior to that, and this outcome is definitely friendlier to the Bills than a forfeit.    

Both teams went into the locker room and the NFL made the decision to postpone the game.  The NFL took responsibility for that, so they didn't leave it in the hands of Cincy, Buffalo, or the refs.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cincinnati is definitely getting the short end of the stick.

How so?  They have 4 losses.  Buffalo and KC have 3 losses.  Buffalo was ahead of Cincy going into the week only because they had less losses and more wins than Cincy.  Cincy owns the tiebreaking procedures standings.  Technically you can say Baltimore got the short end of the stick.  If they beat Cincy this weekend, they would have beaten them twice and would STILL need a coin flip in order to win the division.

Edited by BillyBilliams
  • Agree 2

Just now, die hard bills fan said:

Looking at that chart just emphasizes how huge of a break KC got. They are guaranteed #1 or #2 with #1 most likely.  They could have been #3 if  bills, bengals, chiefs all finished at 13-4 (i think)

Yes, if Bills or Bengals win Monday's game instead of a no contest they almost certainly don't get the 1 seed.  

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Interesting that if KC loses the AFC Championship game is in Buffalo when that was  not really determined.  What is the reasoning for that?

Lets go Stidham!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If KC loses, and we beat NE, we would finish above them even if we had lost to cinci

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Yes, if Bills or Bengals win Monday's game instead of a no contest they almost certainly don't get the 1 seed.  

The Chiefs would have gotten the #1 seed legitimately if the Bengals had beaten the Bills and the Chiefs went on to beat the Raiders.  There was no scenario in which the Bengals would control their own destiny for the #1 seed heading into week 18.  They're being treated reasonably under the circumstances IMO.  I'm not really interested in whatever they're complaining about, but they haven't been given anything that they didn't have a good shot at anyway. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

The Chiefs would have gotten the #1 seed legitimately if the Bengals had beaten the Bills and the Chiefs went on to beat the Raiders.  There was no scenario in which the Bengals would control their own destiny for the #1 seed heading into week 18.  They're being treated reasonably under the circumstances IMO.  I'm not really interested in whatever they're complaining about, but they haven't been given anything that they didn't have a good shot at anyway. 

Yeah, you're right, I forgot the Bengals would still be a game behind the Chiefs in that case

24 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

Looking at that chart just emphasizes how huge of a break KC got. They are guaranteed #1 or #2 with #1 most likely.  They could have been #3 if  bills, bengals, chiefs all finished at 13-4 (i think)

Kansas City had the #2 seed locked up going into Week 17 anyways after they won their game.  They came into the week not controlling their own destiny.  This now ensures they still do not control their own destiny.  It's still the same scenario.  If KC wants to play in the AFCC at home, they still need Buffalo to lose.  Their advantage is they'll be getting the bye week and now they control their own destiny, when in fact going into week 17, they didn't.

Edited by BillyBilliams

4 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Is anyone else checking constantly to see where this neutral game would be played (I know Indy and Atlanta are most likely) to start making some (refundable) reservations?

Now the speculation is for an outdoor game, so it's anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

Yeah unfortunately they are.  Has to be such a hard choice to make on what to do

And there was no guarantee they win the Bills game or this week. 

Edited by BuffaloMatt

I'd like to clarify at least the point of view I have as a Chiefs fan about the proposed solution -

If you had offered the me/Chiefs the 1 seed, with the condition that a BUF/KC AFCCG is played at a nuetral site.  ...and the only condition is KC beats the Raiders? I take that 100% of the time.  That's a great trade off for KC.  

As the 1 - KC gets:

1st round bye.

CAN NOT play BOTH of Cincy and Buf in playoffs.  It's impossible.

Cincy is the team that has the biggest gripe

Buf is the team with the 2nd biggest gripe as they had control of their destiny to the 1 seed and lost that by having the game be declared a no contest. 

I am sure you'll see plenty of KC fans complaining about this on Twitter and on boards.  Considering there was no fair way to do it, KC isn't getting the shaft on this.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.