Week 17: Bills at Bengals on MNF

Beck Water

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

For the most part I agree with you. However, isn't there a chance that Josh and the Bills offense underpreform? Hear me out before you bash me. The Bengals D has been able to contain Mahomes and the KC offense. They had very good game plans. I'm thinking they will have a similar game plan for Allen. Will it be effective? Besides Diggs, who can you trust at WR?

I get the leave it to Josh statement. He certainly can take over a game. However, he's not exactly been a world beater of late. It's been more the running game that's played well. This team seems more balanced and a bit less reliant on Josh than the past. Probably a good thing. 

Definelty have to limit the turnovers which has been problematic for the Bills. 

Containing Burrow is easier said than done. Burrow almost always comes to play when its a big game. The Bills should be prepared for the best version of Burrow. I hope the Bills D is up for the task. For sure, I'd feel way more confident with a healthy Von and Hyde. That's a moot point though. 

Go Bills!!!!

Look at this point in his career I don’t know what more Allen can do to convince you he is a different bread of cat just last week he was AFC offensive player of the week cause of what he did against the fins there are only a few QBs in this league or the history of this league that say I ain’t losing this game and then go out and do it. He’s one of them. This game is like all big games are for this team on the defense. In big games where they get asked to shut down the offense of the other team they don’t. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BRH said:

Blah blah blah. From the Athletic:

The biggest game on paper this week is the Monday night tilt between the Bills and Bengals in Cincinnati. Who has the edge as these teams continue to fight it out for the top seed in the AFC?

Graff: I’m taking the Bengals at home. Since Week 9, they have the best offense in the NFL according to EPA per play, one spot ahead of the Chiefs. The Bills, meanwhile, rank 11th. Time is running out for them to return to the form we all expected as season-long Super Bowl favorites. So give me Joe Burrow at home.

Jones: I think the Bengals can get the job done again. They’re the hottest team in the league, riding a seven-game win streak, and I don’t see any reason why they can’t continue this brand of complementary football that is carrying them. Joe Burrow and his defense have already bested Patrick Mahomes. Josh Allen is next.

Sando: The Bengals at home have been my choice in this game for the past few weeks, and I’m sticking with it. They should get Josh Allen’s best punch, which could be enough for the Bills to win. I just like how Cincinnati has been playing and think they should be able to pull this one out at home.

Great analysis.  “Time is running out for [the Bills].”  “I don’t see any reason why [the Bengals] can’t continue.”  “I just like how Cincinnati has been playing.” 🙄

Yup. At this point they are handing over billboard material.

It's not that talking heads are pointing out scheme matchups. It's "Burrow good, Chase good, Josh Allen inconsistent" and that's where it stops

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Look at this point in his career I don’t know what more Allen can do to convince you he is a different bread of cat just last week he was AFC offensive player of the week cause of what he did against the fins there are only a few QBs in this league or the history of this league that say I ain’t losing this game and then go out and do it. He’s one of them. This game is like all big games are for this team on the defense. In big games where they get asked to shut down the offense of the other team they don’t. 

You don't have to convince me that Allen is a "different cat." I no Allen is elite and a franchise QB.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Not like we haven’t face defenses like that all year for instants the Jets

Man, if a little dirty could just play ball as well as he can dance

Difference w the Jets d is their boundary corners are pretty darn good too. But I agree the Jets D was stout up the middle. I found it maybe a little telling that Cinci’s D cord was referencing plays from the Jets game. 

2 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

It is their weakness but they have a very good DVOA against #1 receivers (bills are bad against number #1s but throttle all others). I think Davis will really need to get going on the boundary. 

Agreed. They will double Diggs and put the focus on him. Davis is due for a big game too. Let’s hope we get the Gabe from the KC playoff game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m not that guy, if anything I’m super negative usually but I got a feeling the bengals are driving towards the corner of ***** around and find out. This team is actually starting to really bother me and they might want to keep their moths shut until after the game. It’s going to be a tough game but there seem to be a lot of feelings flying around that are making the Bills out to be inferior…might want to check that at the door

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, muppy said:

IMO this game, like most any NFL contest will be decided by these 3 things with 3 being as important as anything else

1. Who commits the most turnovers

2. Who commits the most "called" penalties* OR is the recipient of any gift calls. Lord I hope it isn't THIS that turns the game

3. Which side will dominate in the trenches both offensively and defensively

a 4th could be the play of special teams both in our favor and they against us.

DOMINATE  on 3

1..2...3...GO BILLS

Burrows been sacked 39 times and 2 fumbles.  Josh is 2nd in the league in fumbles though not all turnovers. He has 31 sacks against with 5 fumbles. 

It’s a head scratcher how much they are absolutely disrespecting the bills

the bengals just seem REALLY cocky to me all the sudden

lile they’ve done something amazing I’m barely beating the bucs and the pats

but keep it comin Joe and co. Keep the cockiness going 

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not that guy, if anything I’m super negative usually but I got a feeling the bengals are driving towards the corner of ***** around and find out. This team is actually starting to really bother me and they might want to keep their moths shut until after the game. It’s going to be a tough game but there seem to be a lot of feelings flying around that are making the Bills out to be inferior…might want to check that at the door

I can’t get over how cocky they are

its amazing to me how much ***** they are talking 

13 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Bengals sure doing a lot of talking.  

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

it is really bizarre that they are doing all of this talking. Sounds like it could

be less about cockiness, and more

about being insecure. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Process said:

The amount I'm betting on the Bills moneyline continues to go up. 

We are going to steamroll these clowns. No mercy. 

So much cockiness for a team that had like 10 tipped ball interceptions on their playoff run last year

Thank God I am a bills fan and not a Bungles fan

Nice practice facility you chumps 

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Really want to hear about Poyer. This guy makes all the difference. Not only with how good he is when on the field. But also even more so with how terrible we are without him out there.

What an issue for Beane next year. Poyer means so much to this team but wiil age, this years injuries and salary cap lead to him leaving? I sure hope not, great leader and player but those variables are a concern. But… one year at a time…

2 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Good post. I will go a bit further. Many here are really underestimating Buffalo's defense. Some actually comparing KC to Buffalo and saying how well Cincy did against KC. Big difference between Buffalo's D and KC's. I see a bunch of people talking about a 3 man rush and dropping more into coverage. Buffalo does not need to drop more into coverage because LBs like Edmunds are so good in coverage. The Buffalo defense is good specifically because it's pass defense is so good. Now many will argue that the pass defense has dropped off and it has. That does not mean that they are going backwards. They simply have 2 rookies learning on the job and some injuries they have had to deal with.

I expect the Bills will go with a 4 man rush and be effective. The defensive backs will be up to the challenge this week. And Cincy will struggle to move the ball. Don't underestimate the game plan by Buffalo's coaching staff. Meanwhile, Cincy's D isn't that great. They have been good at stopping the run and pedestrian at stopping the pass.  I see Buffalo going with a balance attack. Perhaps a bit more pass plays than run plays and being effective at both. There is a recent trend that has been over looked. The running backs have been successful out of a spread offense. Perhaps a little Chan Gailey type success. Was Kromer with Buffalo when Gailey was the HC? Either way, this is a pretty cool development. The kind of stress this puts on a defense is noticeable. Safeties may decide the best course is to keep playing deep, but if the run is effective, they'll have to make some hard choices.  Drop into coverage and watch the run game beat you. Move up, and watch the pass game beat you. All this from the exact same spread offense.

I get the media hype. Cincy is a good football team. A dangerous team. They managed to find a back door into the Superbowl last year. If they had to go through Buffalo, I am not convinced they would have made it that far. And I am not convinced they are on Buffalo's level this year either. Of course maybe I'm seeing things through rose colored, Bills fan glasses, but I don't think so. Go Bills!

Also, if Cincy plays Buffalo like they do KC, they are in trouble. Mahomes is one squirrely QB. That's not Josh. Josh will lower his shoulder and run through a defender. Or stiff arm a defender. Or hurdle a defender. Completely different animal.

I agree with lots off your post. This game on paper is quite fascinating.

The Bills D is very good. However, can we trust this defense? Throughout the year the team has been inconsistent stopping the run. They do very well against one dimensional running teams. The likes of the Titans, Ravens, and Bears. Are the Bengals in this category?

The Bengals  have struggled to run the ball. Nixon can be very good and Perine is a solid #2. The Bengals running game or lack of is one of the keys to the game. An effective running game will open up things for Burrow to carve the Bills D.  A similar scenario to the one you have for the Bills. A major issue for the Buffalo  has been tackling. This isn't the game to miss tackles. Clearly, the Bengals are a quick passing team. At times, they don't run enough. Sound familiar?  I believe this is a game where the Bengals will try to do more with their run game. Negate the Bills pass rush and try to ooen things up for Burrow. Perhaps I'm wrong. 

Agree with your analysis of the Buffalo defensive scheme. You just don't blitz Burrow often. He usually makes you pay for blitzing. The Bills can't just sit back in soft zone coverage and be a pass funnel offense. Burrow will carve out the Bills D all day long. Imho, you have to confuse and pressure him. Thus, get him off his rhythm and timing. Easier said then done. Agree that the Bills D is better than the Bengals D.

LB Pratt and LB Wilson are very good and physical. They will present problems for the Bills offense. Like you have stated the Bengals are good at stopping the run. Will the Bills be able to establish the run game? If they can't the Bills offense may struggle to move the ball consistently. After Diggs, the Bills pass catchers fall off dramatically with a lack of consistency. I'm thinking this could be a nice Knox night.

Sure Allen is different than Mahomes. The Bengal D  contained Mahomes. I don't think it's a stretch to say they can contain Allen. They are on the same level with a similar skills. Pratt and Wilson are solid LBs with speed, size, and strength. They will be spying on Allen. Great match up to watch.

A few big other keys that may decide the game.

(1) The turnover battle. Bills and Allen have to protect the ball. 

(2) Who has more explosive offensive plays? 

(3) Which coaching staff has the better in game and halftime adjustments. 

This game is setting up to be a classic. The anticipation is euphoric as a Bills fan and a football fan. On a national stage, I want nothing more than a Bills victory. Can't wait.

GO BILLS!!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is why I can’t stand burrow and the bengals. Their arrogance knows no bounds. 

the defense should play the best game of their life. 

Chris simms ripped on treday (and run game), mixon ripped on the linebackers, and Boyd called the defense ‘basic’

Did they not see what happened to Mike white? 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Really want to hear about Poyer. This guy makes all the difference. Not only with how good he is when on the field. But also even more so with how terrible we are without him out there.

He’ll play

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills D is very good. However, can we trust this defense? Throughout the year the team has been inconsistent stopping the run. They do very well against one dimensional running teams. The likes of the Titans, Ravens, and Bears. Are the Bengals in this category?

The Bengals  have struggled to run the ball. Nixon can be very good and Perine is a solid #2. The Bengals running game or lack of is one of the keys to the game. An effective running game will open up things for Burrow to carve the Bills D.  A similar scenario to the one you have for the Bills. A major issue for the Buffalo  has been tackling. This isn't the game to miss tackles. Clearly, the Bengals are a quick passing team. At times, they don't run enough. Sound familiar?  I believe this is a game where the Bengals will try to do more with their run game. Negate the Bills pass rush and try to ooen things up for Burrow. Perhaps I'm wrong. 

Agree with your analysis of the Buffalo defensive scheme. You just don't blitz Burrow often. He usually makes you pay for blitzing. The Bills can't just sit back in soft zone coverage and be a pass funnel offense. Burrow will carve out the Bills D all day long. Imho, you have to confuse and pressure him. Thus, get him off his rhythm and timing. Easier said then done. Agree that the Bills D is better than the Bengals D.

LB Pratt and LB Wilson are very good and physical. They will present problems for the Bills offense. Like you have stated the Bengals are good at stopping the run. Will the Bills be able to establish the run game? If they can't the Bills offense may struggle to move the ball consistently. After Diggs, the Bills pass catchers fall off dramatically with a lack of consistency. I'm thinking this could be a nice Knox night.

Sure Allen is different than Mahomes. The Bengal D  contained Mahomes. I don't think it's a stretch to say they can contain Allen. They are on the same level with a similar skills. Pratt and Wilson are solid LBs with speed, size, and strength. They will be spying on Allen. Great match up to watch.

This game is setting up to be a classic. The anticipation is euphoric as a Bills fan and a football fan. On a national stage, I want nothing more than a Bills victory. Can't wait.

GO BILLS!!!!!

They contained Mahomes ?

16/27 233 no picks and a td

chiefs had 140 rushing 

I just have watched a different game because I saw the KC defense lose that one - offensively they ran heavy because that’s what the bengals gave them.

Joe didn’t do much better that game.  Against a subpar KC defense ….

286 2tds - it’s good…solid day

KC 4th quarter was bad offensively for sure 

Idk I’m not sold on KC being this jaughernaut this year though- I’ve seen them to be really suspect 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BRH said:

Man done ***** around and he about to find out. 

Two things:

1) They are just following the cockiness that Joe Burrow brought that changed the culture of the team. The Bengals were a losing organisation for decades that lost games before they even started. Joe came in and brought that cigar smoking smugness from LSU and turned the whole thing around in just a few years. It may have now gone a bit too far, but it did work.

2) Joe Mixon is a woman-beating idiot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

They contained Mahomes ?

chiefs had 140 rushing 

I just have watched a different game because I saw the KC defense lose that one - offensively they ran heavy because that’s what the bengals gave them.

Idk I’m not sold on KC being this jaughernaut this year though- I’ve seen them to be really suspect 

The Chiefs were about to put the game away until Kelce fumbled it and allowed Bengals to come back

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Which playoff game has Burrow looked elite in?

Im not saying he isn’t a Top 5 QB.  He is. Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert … and then I may go Lawrence at 5. 

But I do think there’s a big game drop off from Allen & Mahomes to Burrow.  

Burrow’s Bengals rode last season’s playoff run on some luck, what seemed like 50 field goals, and a defense that hit stride at the right time and has figured out a way to confuse Mahomes.  

It wasn’t a run due to Burrow.  Most playoff games I watch of Buffalo and KC… the QB is very much on display.  

That's very fair. I could be overselling the Burrow skill set.  I just clearly remember him on several occasions leading and marching his team down the field. Him using his arm and legs on timely runs. Maintaining his poise in the pocket and delivering on big 3rd and 4th down conversations. He's done it both in college and the pros. He seems to be a leader, a winner. a motivator, and his team believes in him.

At least, that's what's engrained into my head when I think of Burrow. Perhaps, it's not accurate as another poster has pointed out his stats that don't elude greatness. I guess we will find out Monday. 

5 minutes ago, LEBills said:

The Chiefs were about to put the game away until Kelce fumbled it and allowed Bengals to come back

They, like Minnesota - have been extremely lucky

luck is gonna run out 

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

Joe Mixon flaps his gums a few days before a key game.  What a rookie mistake.  Never give the opponent bulletin board material.  I want the Bills to quietly go about their business and win Monday night.

Not just him though - they all are.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

They contained Mahomes ?

chiefs had 140 rushing 

Agree on the Chiefs being beatable. I would argue that their is no elite juggernaught of a team in the AFC. The consensus top 3 teams of the Bills, Chiefs, and Bengals all are beatable. The Dolphins, Chargers, and Ravens can make some noise if they get healthy. The AFC seems wide open. The Chiefs stand out because Mahomes is known as the Grim Reaper for a reason. 

6 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Joe Mixon flaps his gums a few days before a key game.  What a rookie mistake.  Never give the opponent bulletin board material.  I want the Bills to quietly go about their business and win Monday night.

I don't think it means much. This isn't a college game or players. Players don't need extra motivation for this game. Both team will be ready to rumble... Looking for that Bills KO or TKO. 

Edited by newcam2012

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo wins and imo it will not be close.  Cincy is the the more consistent team blah blah blah.  They played like garbage vs 2 poor teams.  Tampa and New England lost those games Cincy did not win them.  I think they are feeling themselves and buying into there own hype.  Buffalo shows they are the best team in the AFC and possible league 34-17 Bills.

I'd definitely be overwhelmed with uncontrollable joyful bliss if that happens.....

But to say this and only basing it off how Bengals performed against Bucs and Pats (and Won) is a bit short sighted imo. And a Bengals team riding a 7 game win streak to add...

Anything can happen, but this is a game that I can only expect a knock down drag out battle going into their house with the importance of what's on the line here. I just have a hard time understanding those who say, " Bills will win big and won't be close". 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

GO BILLS!!!!!

Some good stuff here. Cincy may very well try to establish a run game too, if for no other reason to keep the Buffalo offense off the field. Buffalo's defensive tackles are fairly healthy now though. And our linebackers are good too. Poyer's health is a concern but I think the Bills are simply playing it safe with him.  I think Cincy will find that they will have to lean on the pass game perhaps after finding the run game is not working? Then find out the Buffalo pass defense is better than they thought too. I really hope they do try to get their run game going.

As for your 3 bullet points, those are keys in any football game. Lets hope the Bills protect the football and minimize penalties. Not sure how many big plays there will be. Both teams are going to do there best to limit them. As for coaching, I have been thoroughly impressed with Buffalo's in game adjustments. Especially on defense.

As for Buffalo's receiving options, I don't know if you've noticed, but Josh has been passing to RBs more lately. Have had some success there too. It's still going to be a balance between run, pass and screens because there is no way Cincy is going to leave a deep WR in single coverage. Josh has been finding all season long that this is how defenses are playing him. He has found ways to keep the offense clicking even though the deep stuff hasn't been there. I still believe the big difference between these two teams is defense. Cincy is going to have a hard time keeping Josh Allen and company in check and not the way around.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CaliBills said:

Are the Bengals trying to just give the Bills defense bulletin board material or what?"

Yeah I'm a little surprised with they way couple of their statements are worded. I mean Matt M. and T. Edmunds are one of the top LBers this season. Especially Milano. But hey, I certainly have no problems with them making this reading material for the Bills to see

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.