Glazer reports Jets moving on from Wilson.

JerseyBills

I think Mike White can do some good things if given the starting job in training camp and having the offense designed around him. I gained a ton of respect for him after the last Bills/Jets game. He’s capable. Will never be a world beater, but his ceiling is Kirk Cousins. Regardless of all that, I hope the Jets continue to suck forever. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, nbbillsfan said:

I wish they would stay committed to him. I’d love to see a couple more years of them wasting their roster 

I feel the same way, but even if they have made that decision, there's no guarantee they'll find their franchise QB any time soon.  They are tough to identify with assurance, and even if you correctly identify a college prospect as a future franchise QB, it's possible IMO (and Gunner Bill's) to screw up the handling of that youngster so he never develops properly.  Judging by the LA Rams' success with Baker Mayfield, it's possible both Cleveland and Carolina did that with Mayfield.  The Jets almost certainly mishandled Darnold, as they mishandled Geno Smith.  He's been better lately for Carolina.  As with Mayfield, it's too soon to tell if Darnold can actually get his career back on track.  Geno Smith is looking like a serviceable starter with Seattle, finally.  So that means the Jets have struck out on franchise QBs, going 0-3 identifying and developing a guy who can actually fill the role, two of them being top 5 picks.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Josh Allen wasn't great at Wyoming in the slightest either.    Players are picked on potential. 

I didn't think Wilson was an elite prospect but you gotta' take chances at QB.

The Jets otherwise talented roster is proof that you can literally waste two top 3 overall picks on QB's in a 4 year span and still stockpile talent.

The most overrated personnel chip in football is a #1 pick NOT used on a QB.

Getting a team to give you 2 first round picks for an average safety helps

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Hard to believe there isn’t some heads rolling after another colossal QB selection debacle in the top #3 of the draft, within 4 years. Anyone recall the draft hype of Wilson? Was this a Todd Mcshay / Kiper hype fest? The guy had one respectable year at an independent FBS college. The jury is still out but one has to put Mac Jones and Justin Fields light years ahead of Wilson. 

26 minutes ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

Hard to believe there isn’t some heads rolling after another colossal QB selection debacle in the top #3 of the draft, within 4 years. Anyone recall the draft hype of Wilson? Was this a Todd Mcshay / Kiper hype fest? The guy had one respectable year at an independent FBS college. The jury is still out but one has to put Mac Jones and Justin Fields light years ahead of Wilson. 

Different GMs took Darnold & Wilson.  The 2022 draft saved Douglas.  

11 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

They should do it Bills style.  If my recollection is correct, the Bills yanked Trent Edwards from a game on a Sunday, and cut him eight days later.  Cut him. Just like that.

Wasn’t that Chan Gailey, who said he didn’t want to have to play him ever again?

Proof that Kiper was right saying Stats are for losers:

College Stats: 

Josh Allen

Final Season Comp % 56.3; Yards/attempt 6.7; TD 16; INT 6 QB Rating 127.8

Career           Comp % 56.2; Yards/attempt 7.8; TD 44; INT 21 QB Rating 137.7

Zach Wilson

Final Season Comp % 73.5; Yards/attempt 11.0; TD 33; INT 3 QB Rating 196.4

Career           Comp % 67.6; Yards/attempt 9.1; TD 56; INT 15 QB Rating 162.9

• Awesome! (+1) 1

He needs to get out of New Jersey and onto the practice squad of a team that will help him develop and mature.  A team with a rock-solid, no question about it starter.  A team in a supportive environment.  In short, he needs to move to New York.

Bills PS next year.  

5 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Yes it was.  

Of all the bad coaches and front offices we had over the years, I liked Chan best.

He actually came out and said that in the public?  I don't remember this lol.  By then we were already well into the polished press conference era.  If a coach said that in the 80s or 90s I wouldn't be shocked in the least but I'm surprised that happened at that point haha

I think Wilson is an outstanding QB. I couldn't be happier with his QB play on the Jets. BTW Mommy lashed out at the Jets fanbase.

(1) Suffering Jets fan on Twitter: "Zach Wilson’s mom Lisa Wilson messaged someone on Instagram “it’s not possible for anyone to be successful here. Your fan base is toxic.” #TakeFlight https://t.co/rRwVGIplnp" / Twitter

18 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Disagree.

Wilson has talent, he just needs the right guidance and coaching.

Being drafted by one of the worst run organizations in the NFL did not help.

While I think Wilson holds plenty of blame himself, there is truth to this. Their offensive scheme seems to avoid his strengths and accentuate his weaknesses. He needs a different offensive scheme.

For instance, I don't think Josh Allen would do well with a scheme like that either. Josh is not a quick pass, timing offense QB. He is a guy you need to give a lot of freedom to make things happen. Wilson is kind of like that too, although Josh Allen is infinitely better.

13 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

I have sympathy for the fans. I live in the heart of Jet country. These poor souls have been beaten down. By the way, my prayers are with the people in the Buffalo area dealing with this storm. 

I live 20 minutes from MetLife. Never ever feel sorry for the Jets, Dolphins, or Pats fans. May all three fanbases burn in eternal football hell.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Process said:

Getting a team to give you 2 first round picks for an average safety helps

Credit where credit is due.   Excellent work by the Jets.......they could have tried to re-sign Adams but instead moved him for great value.

A big part of Miami's re-stock has also been the trade where they fleeced Houston for Tunsil.

And look at the Seahawks..........stupidly traded for Adams.......and then found their QB in their own recycle bin and fleeced Denver out of a haul of picks.

I'd like to see Beane find some stars in the mid-late rounds like Seattle just did with Tariq Woolen...........but first Beane has to stop trying so hard by drafting for need after round 1.........that leads you to lower ceiling players.........which Beane has accumulated a few too many of.  

Not sure where James Cook falls in that equation yet..........for a 2nd round RB pick.......ideally you get at least a 1500 yard per year RB1 producer.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ

11 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I feel the same way, but even if they have made that decision, there's no guarantee they'll find their franchise QB any time soon.  They are tough to identify with assurance, and even if you correctly identify a college prospect as a future franchise QB, it's possible IMO (and Gunner Bill's) to screw up the handling of that youngster so he never develops properly.  Judging by the LA Rams' success with Baker Mayfield, it's possible both Cleveland and Carolina did that with Mayfield.  The Jets almost certainly mishandled Darnold, as they mishandled Geno Smith.  He's been better lately for Carolina.  As with Mayfield, it's too soon to tell if Darnold can actually get his career back on track.  Geno Smith is looking like a serviceable starter with Seattle, finally.  So that means the Jets have struck out on franchise QBs, going 0-3 identifying and developing a guy who can actually fill the role, two of them being top 5 picks.

Go 1 deeper with Sanchez before Geno & it's 0-4 with 3 top 5 picks.  

That said, the Jets management combo of coach/GM has been different for all 4 QBs.  Only Rex Ryan coached 2 of them.  With all these changes in management, with each GM responsible for picking the wrong guy, it's almost more just bad luck than poor management.  Here's what the alternatives were each of the 4 drafts

2009-Traded up to #5 for Mark Sanchez-Matt Stafford (picked #1) was the only successful QB & they took the best of the rest. Even if they had waited for 2010, they wouldn't have gotten anyone worth drafting since the only QB to achieve any success from 2010 was #1 pick Sam Bradford.

2013-Picked Geno Smith in the 2nd round in what has been historically one of the worst QB draft classes.  Not willing to wait 10 years for a once in a generation story isn't on the Jets.  

2018-Traded up to #3 to draft Sam Darnold & then gave him nothing to work with. A new GM came in & wanted his own man.  Who knows what Darnold is even after 5 seasons because he hasn't been healthy any season, but obviously the Jets had a chance at Josh & didn't draft him.   

2021-After trading Darnold the current Jets GM was sold on Wilson.  Not correctly judging a player's ability to handle the NYC media & fans is a major blunder, even if the player has potential, which in Wilson's case is highly questionable.  Right now Fields looks like the better choice, although long term it might be Lance, who at this point is a complete unknown.  What is saving Douglas is he had a great draft in 2022, but where he was picking he better have had one.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

While I think Wilson holds plenty of blame himself, there is truth to this. Their offensive scheme seems to avoid his strengths and accentuate his weaknesses. He needs a different offensive scheme.

For instance, I don't think Josh Allen would do well with a scheme like that either. Josh is not a quick pass, timing offense QB. He is a guy you need to give a lot of freedom to make things happen. Wilson is kind of like that too, although Josh Allen is infinitely better.

Smart coaches tailor their offense to the QBs strengths.  They don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Look at Baltimore with Lamar & us with Josh.  Remember halftime with a minute to go before Josh?  The Bills would shut things down being too afraid to try to score because something could go wrong. With Josh, we get the ball back with a half minute or more & we're thinking of scoring another TD.   

22 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Not sure how it’s a surprise Wilson would be gone.

Take away the off the field stories, true or not doesn’t matter. He just doesn’t have what it takes to be a NFL starter. He’s not going away quickly, someone will give him a job next year.

Gotta laugh when you see someone like Purdy slaying it like he is.

Somewhat reminiscent of JP Losman. Has the physical tools but lacks the mental traits required to be a QB in the NFL.

On 12/25/2022 at 9:16 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Josh Allen wasn't great at Wyoming in the slightest either.    Players are picked on potential. 

I didn't think Wilson was an elite prospect but you gotta' take chances at QB.

The Jets otherwise talented roster is proof that you can literally waste two top 3 overall picks on QB's in a 4 year span and still stockpile talent.

The most overrated personnel chip in football is a #1 pick NOT used on a QB.

Not with the number 2 pick you don't.  (Maybe Wilson's potential will come thru with another coaching staff someplace else) Josh Allen was a physical specimen at Wyoming.  He had accuracy issues.  But he was a baller.  In a whole different league then Zach Wilson.  The Jets have some talent.  But not much on the O line.  But in today's NFL not a lot of teams do.  Including our beloved Bills.  But nothing compares to how bad the Broncos O line was on Christmas Day.  That was an embarrasment of epic proportions, that got both the O Line coach and the head coach fired, and rightfully so.  

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Not with the number 2 pick you don't.  (Maybe Wilson's potential will come thru with another coaching staff someplace else) Josh Allen was a physical specimen at Wyoming.  He had accuracy issues.  But he was a baller.  In a whole different league then Zach Wilson.  The Jets have some talent.  But not much on the O line.  But in today's NFL not a lot of teams do.  Including our beloved Bills.  But nothing compares to how bad the Broncos O line was on Christmas Day.  That was an embarrasment of epic proportions, that got both the O Line coach and the head coach fired, and rightfully so.  

Zach Wilson, much like ol' Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold, had consistent cautions about coachability in their draft profiles.  Rosen refused to be coached, Darnold had problems executing what he was being coached to do.  When stressed, Darnold remains the QB he was at USC. 

On the other hand, Josh Allen had positive reviews on coachability, and IMO, that has been the difference maker.  Allen accepts coaching and and executes it.  

I think for NFL teams that draft QBs, once you start seeing multiple accounts of attitude or coaching problems, go invest in another quarterback.  Don't be the loving spouse that thinks you'll "change" them.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Wilson had actually elite athletic traits coming out too: very live arm, good legs, good size. People *loved* him because of how the athletic traits he possessed projected in the pros. It’s basically as @BADOLBILZ says it was. 

23 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Zach Wilson, much like ol' Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold, had consistent cautions about coachability in their draft profiles.  Rosen refused to be coached, Darnold had problems executing what he was being coached to do.  When stressed, Darnold remains the QB he was at USC. 

On the other hand, Josh Allen had positive reviews on coachability, and IMO, that has been the difference maker.  Allen accepts coaching and and executes it.  

I think for NFL teams that draft QBs, once you start seeing multiple accounts of attitude or coaching problems, go invest in another quarterback.  Don't be the loving spouse that thinks you'll "change" them.  

Do you have a link to the coachability issues in college regarding Wilson? Because I ain’t finding them. The draft profiles of him were pretty sky high across the board, with the one cautionary factor being the one-year wonder track record. Otherwise, the scouting community loved him due to the extremely strong arm and accuracy.

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Wilson had actually elite athletic traits coming out too: very live arm, good legs, good size. People *loved* him because of how the athletic traits he possessed projected in the pros. It’s basically as @BADOLBILZ says it was. 

Do you have a link to the coachability issues in college regarding Wilson? Because I ain’t finding them. The draft profiles of him were pretty sky high across the board, with the one cautionary factor being the one-year wonder track record. Otherwise, the scouting community loved him due to the extremely strong arm and accuracy.

If memory serves in no way was Wilson a consensus can't miss prospect, not even close. Sure everybody loved his arm strength, ability to throw off platform, mobility and general athleticism. But he was also regarded as a risky boom or bust type prospect by many. I don't know what his coaches asked him to do but his weaknesses did not improve even in his one good year. And judging from his tenure in NY they probably can't be coached out of him. 

Both Phil and Chris Simms loved them some Zach Wilson going into the draft. They thought he was the #1 prospect. There were more than a few who did. There were also others who looked beyond the obvious talent to talk about how he handled situations when pressured or his first read wasn't there. I was nervous when the Jets drafted him. I thought he had an Aaron Rodgers type of feel watching him play at BYU. Boy am I glad I was wrong and am watching the Jets suffer from a self-inflicted wound again. :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, H2o said:

Both Phil and Chris Simms loved them some Zach Wilson going into the draft. They thought he was the #1 prospect. There were more than a few who did. There were also others who looked beyond the obvious talent to talk about how he handled situations when pressured or his first read wasn't there. I was nervous when the Jets drafted him. I thought he had an Aaron Rodgers type of feel watching him play at BYU. Boy am I glad I was wrong and am watching the Jets suffer from a self-inflicted wound again. :thumbsup:

Like Zach Wilson,  Phil and Chris Simms didn't see the field well/quickly or have great pocket presence coming out of college.    Chris never panned out.   Phil developed into a very good QB but he was much less than the sum of his parts for a number of years and by the time he turned into an elite game manager people had forgotten that he entered the NFL as an elite prospect(#7 overall like Allen).

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

Speaking of QB's being drummed out of the league, I saw Nate Peterman come out to finish off a game for somebody and threw a pick on his first throw.

To be fair, it was his third throw, no?

I was so excited when the Jets won the meaningless late season game that lost them Trevor Lawrence.

I believed then (and still believe now) that Lawrence will be an elite QB for a long time. 

Jets fans talked themselves into Wilson being as good of a prospect as Lawrence, or better. Hah!

At the very least, they could've had Justin Fields. Instead, as so many teams seem to do, they overthought it. Now they go right back to the drawing board.

Jimmy G? Derek Carr? What veteran retread will be quarterbacking the Jets to perpetual Wild Card status starting in 2023?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I was so excited when the Jets won the meaningless late season game that lost them Trevor Lawrence.

I believed then (and still believe now) that Lawrence will be an elite QB for a long time. 

Jets fans talked themselves into Wilson being as good of a prospect as Lawrence, or better. Hah!

At the very least, they could've had Justin Fields. Instead, as so many teams seem to do, they overthought it. Now they go right back to the drawing board.

Jimmy G? Derek Carr? What veteran retread will be quarterbacking the Jets to perpetual Wild Card status starting in 2023?

With 2:16 left Frank Gore caught a pass from Darnold and pedaled backwards to convert a 3rd and 6 and preserve a narrow 23-20 victory for the Jets.

EpvE5d8WMAAF5Rg?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, dpberr said:

That's an interesting analysis dpberr.  Makes a lot of sense.  Josh Allen checks all the boxes, physically and mentally.  People used to say some of the same stuff about JP Losman, I believe.  That he had attitude or coachability issues.  It was a long time ago.  But something says he was kind of cocky with some sort of attitude.  Didn't Troy Vincent take him out in practice, fracturing his leg in his rookie training camp?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.