Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

How does the call up system work with regards to the cap ? Anyone out there know this ? If say Beasley is called up, does he then get paid veteran minimum for that game as opposed to his PS salary ? Just curious how this works. 

sal said today they do get the vet minimum 1/18th check for that week, so i assume that goes against the cap

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Career Receptions:

1st down - 184

2nd down - 196

3rd down - 174

Majority of 1st down catches were on 1st and 10.

Majority of 2nd down catches were on 2nd at 10+.

Majority of 3rd down catches were on 3rd and 4-6.

Source:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeasCo00/splits/

Pretty damn even split..thanks brother!

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m fine with 6 yards per catch. That at least moves the chains. 

I mean, it depends upon what down and distance we're in?  If we're 3rd and 16, no, it doesn't.

Beasley looks slow to me in those film clips - even slower than last season.  His cuts though 😍 and his quick feet 😍 -  he still looks "surgical there.

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I wonder if some the stat heads here can get a split of Beasley receptions by down. My gut, and its only a gut, is he catches a lot more balls on 1st and 2nd more so than 3rd. As Orlovsky said earlier this week, that's really where the Bills are struggling..1st down efficiency. And that turns into a "3rd and Hope" situation...just hoping Josh can make a play. 

I really think we will see his impact there more than 3rd downs, but hopefully we see an impact somewhere, anywhere LOL!!!!

Ask and you shall receive.

Here are Beasley's splits from 2021 by down and Yards to go:

image.thumb.png.a0d992c72ee8b02ecb9e4ac3b2aee296.png

Overall catch % 73.2%, 6.2 y/tgt (per target, not per reception).  You can see the Bills got the most mileage targeting Beasley on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 4-9: over 80% catch.  1st downs on 1 out of 3 receptions on 1st and 10.

But Just a Minute!  As far as "what we've had", I'll bite the snake and bring in the same for McKenzie this year:

image.thumb.png.d394ee07ff5134f09b8a0b1890cee735.png

Overall catch % 69.1%, 6.9 y/tgt (not: per target, not per reception).  You can see that when the Bills targeted McK on 1st down, they also got great mileage - again, Over 80% catch on 1st and 10, 2nd and 4-6, but also on 2nd and 10+, and 3rd 1-6.

1st downs on 1 out of 3 receptions on 1st and 10, 4 out of 5 targets on 3rd and 1-3, 6 out of 1 targets on 3rd and 4-6.

That's pretty dang close to Beasley, honestly: catch % of 83.3% vs 86.5%, and 1st down on 1 out of 3 receptions.

The main difference is the number of targets being less than half what Beasley got.

Just for fun, let's do Dawson Knox as well:

image.thumb.png.2d190e7f1ca5ec4c8c3100bf58d801a0.png

Overall catch % 74.0%, 7.4 y/tgt (again, per target, not per reception).  75% catch % on 1st and 10, and 1D on 1 out of 3 targets.  HUH.

I'm sure this will be well received and the intelligent erudite posters here will consider it and modify their views accordingly. 

(No I don't.  I kid, I kid).

I'm glad to see Beasley back, and if Josh trusts him and targets him when he's on the field and it takes some pressure off Gabe and Diggs and gets the Bills offense humming along again, I'm All For It.

But longer term, Josh may need to develop a bit different "field vision" or work on developing a better rappore with receivers younger than 33 not named Cole Beasley, because these guys have been open more than they're targeted (to my eyes), and when they're targeted they've been catching the ball at a pretty  good rate as best as one can tell from low numbers.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, it depends upon what down and distance we're in?  If we're 3rd and 16, no, it doesn't.

Beasley looks slow to me in those film clips - even slower than last season.  His cuts though 😍 and his quick feet 😍 -  he still looks "surgical there.

Ask and you shall receive.

Here are Beasley's splits from 2021 by down and Yards to go:

image.thumb.png.a0d992c72ee8b02ecb9e4ac3b2aee296.png

Overall catch % 73.2%, 6.2 y/tgt (per target, not per reception).  You can see the Bills got the most mileage targeting Beasley on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 4-9: over 80% catch.  1st downs on 1 out of 3 receptions on 1st and 10.

But Just a Minute!  As far as "what we've had", I'll bite the snake and bring in the same for McKenzie this year:

image.thumb.png.d394ee07ff5134f09b8a0b1890cee735.png

Overall catch % 69.1%, 6.9 y/tgt (not: per target, not per reception).  You can see that when the Bills targeted McK on 1st down, they also got great mileage - again, Over 80% catch on 1st and 10, 2nd and 4-6, but also on 2nd and 10+, and 3rd 1-6.

1st downs on 1 out of 3 receptions on 1st and 10, 4 out of 5 targets on 3rd and 1-3, 6 out of 1 targets on 3rd and 4-6.

That's pretty dang close to Beasley, honestly: catch % of 83.3% vs 86.5%, and 1st down on 1 out of 3 receptions.

The main difference is the number of targets being less than half what Beasley got.

Just for fun, let's do Dawson Knox as well:

image.thumb.png.2d190e7f1ca5ec4c8c3100bf58d801a0.png

Overall catch % 74.0%, 7.4 y/tgt (again, per target, not per reception).  75% catch % on 1st and 10, and 1D on 1 out of 3 targets.  HUH.

I'm sure this will be well received and the intelligent erudite posters here will consider it and modify their views accordingly. 

(No I don't.  I kid, I kid).

I'm glad to see Beasley back, and if Josh trusts him and targets him when he's on the field and it takes some pressure off Gabe and Diggs and gets the Bills offense humming along again, I'm All For It.

But longer term, Josh may need to develop a bit different "field vision" or work on developing a better rappore with receivers younger than 33 not named Cole Beasley, because these guys have been open more than they're targeted (to my eyes), and when they're targeted they've been catching the ball at a pretty  good rate as best as one can tell from low numbers.

In my non-analytical been watching football for over 50 yrs intuitive sense of things, it seems to me that Josh improved his game immensely when he was taking what was available and foregoing making hero ball the first and last option. For whatever reason, he seems to be ignoring the easy yards. If he took those, the whole offense would be much harder to stop and it would eventually open up more splash plays. Josh is smart enough to know this, but he ain't following through. Don't know if that is a trust issue with the receivers or not.

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m fine with 6 yards per catch. That at least moves the chains. 

Especially on 3rd and 5!

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

In my non-analytical been watching football for over 50 yrs intuitive sense of things, it seems to me that Josh improved his game immensely when he was taking what was available and foregoing making hero ball the first and last option. For whatever reason, he seems to be ignoring the easy yards. If he took those, the whole offense would be much harder to stop and it would eventually open up more splash plays. Josh is smart enough to know this, but he ain't following through. Don't know if that is a trust issue with the receivers or not.

Remember the throw to Cook against Detroit that almost resulted in Allen's worst interception of the year?  I suspect that screw-ups by the receivers in the middle of the field has been occurring more then we realize and is on clear display in the film room.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

In my numbers geek, focused on analytics, been watching football for over 50 years sense of things, I agree with you.

I believe all these guys would say the right stuff about winning is what matters, blah blah but I kind of have the sense that Josh set out the year with some personal goals - show he's one of the top passers in the league, make Diggs one of the top WR in the league, help Gabe Davis earn a big contract. 

Not a definitive source, but in Ty Dunne's show, Isaiah McKenzie said he understands that Diggs has to get the ball first and then Gabe has to get the ball.  He didn't, to me, say this in any kind of a critical way, just 'that's how it is'.  But I'll be critical, and say, that's really not an effective way to play against a quality defense if that's in fact been part of Josh's mindset.  It really needs to be "take what the defense gives you, don't force it".

Because you're right, when the defense realizes it's being dealt "death by 1000 cuts" and it had better change and stop them, either you're already in the endzone and winning the game OR they adapt and move to stop those cuts and then the splash plays become what the defense gives you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I wonder if some the stat heads here can get a split of Beasley receptions by down. My gut, and its only a gut, is he catches a lot more balls on 1st and 2nd more so than 3rd. As Orlovsky said earlier this week, that's really where the Bills are struggling..1st down efficiency. And that turns into a "3rd and Hope" situation...just hoping Josh can make a play.

Correct.  Second and 4 beats second & 10 every time.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Especially on 3rd and 5!

Remember the throw to Cook against Detroit that almost resulted in Allen's worst interception of the year?  I suspect that screw-ups by the receivers in the middle of the field has been occurring more then we realize and is on clear display in the film room.

For some, yes - and not necessarily who you'd think.  But there have also been receivers open.

Just now, Beck Water said:

For some, yes - and not necessarily who you'd think.  But there have also been receivers open.

There are always receivers open.  A QB can not be expected to always see them.  And if a receiver sometimes runs the wrong route or doesn't finish it off correctly or drops the ball a QB may be less likely to look there way to see when they're open.

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There are always receivers open.  A QB can not be expected to always see them.  And if a receiver sometimes runs the wrong route or doesn't finish it off correctly or drops the ball a QB may be less likely to look there way to see when they're open.

Then I'm gonna say this, meaning it in the nicest most constructive way....in that instance, maybe a QB needs to "get over himself" and change how he looks at the field.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Anyone see him play w/ TB this year and have input on how his quickness looked? 

Buffalo Rumblings has a nice video breakdown of all of Beasley's catches in TB. Upshot: not very impressive, but at least he catches the ball. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/12/14/23505398/bills-news-cole-beasley-signed-jets-game-recap-dolphins-week-15-preview

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

He just wasn't in sync with Brady. Brady takes a lot of time to trust guys and they just did not put in the time.  Plus the guys ahead of him on the depth chart, Evans, Godwin, Gage, Jones and Miller all had more time with Brady and were mostly back from injuries by the time Cole got in. He was a temp fix in case the other guys couldn't come back.

Plus,quickness was never Cole's game. He finds the seams and works to get open and he's got solid hands. He will make plays for us when it counts.  I'd say we will see 90-95% of the 2020/2021 Beas.

• Like (+1) 2

Underrated signing. Could be a key piece for a Super Bowl run especially with fresh legs. Don’t care about the drama. I love the way Beasley plays and feel like he & Allen have great Chemistry especially on 3rd down where we have been having the most trouble. This team needs a sure-handed guy that can hold onto the ball and knows his assignment. Shakir may be the future, but CB is right now. Let’s go 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Feelings aside for me it is simple these are no risk moves. If either Brown or Beasley can contribute put them on the field. Both have familiarity with the QB and if it doesn't work out can move on easily. Come playoffs it is going to be all hands on deck. I like Brown's ability to stretch the field and Beasley in the slot over Mckenzie in critical situations. Brown almost had that bomb last week against the Jets where ball was slightly underthrown. Sauce made a great play to break it up last minute.

Seeing it again, Josh underthrew that. I wanted to blame Brown a bit for letting the pass get broken up but it was underthrown .

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

He played in 2 games with a total of 13 snaps.

Of those 13 snaps he had 5 short pass play targets.

I would say that TB OC didn't "hide" very well what they brought Cole in for.

40 minutes ago, finn said:

Buffalo Rumblings has a nice video breakdown of all of Beasley's catches in TB. Upshot: not very impressive, but at least he catches the ball. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/12/14/23505398/bills-news-cole-beasley-signed-jets-game-recap-dolphins-week-15-preview

OK, I think it's here:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/12/14/23508393/cole-beasley-news-bills-buccaneers-film-dolphins-game-week-15

I will say this, he made some grabs in those clips, that we haven't seen.  Of course, the ideal is for the receiver and the ball to be positioned so that acrobatics aren't needed, but it's nice to see some acrobatics.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/12/cole-beasley-back-at-practice-for-bills-gm-says-i-trust-his-hands-video.html

Beane said Crowder, working out of the slot before his injury, was doing an good job through the preseason. Beasley brings a similar dimension back to the offense.

“Isaiah was going to continue his role and maybe a little bit more than in years past, but his role definitely expanded when Crowder went out,” Beane said. “So you’re always trying to find answers for every defense. And, it’s hard when Cole Beasley - against zone defense, he’s got a really innate feel. He sees the game very similar to how Josh sees it. Not a lot of guys see it that clear happening like that, and that’s one of his strengths, why a guy who is his size has had such success in this league and in this offense.”

Beane is indulging in a bit of revisionism here.  Last year McKenzie played about 1/4 of the offensive snaps - 24%.  Prior to Crowder's injury, McKenzie was playing 50% of the snaps, to Crowder's 33% - so he had an expanded role before Crowder went out.  After Crowder's injury, McKenzie has played 58% of the snaps.  So not a big difference vs. the difference between last season and the first part of this season.

I wish our press would ask Beane a few more questions, like be prepared to point that out and say "does this mean that Shakir hasn't developed as you anticipated?"  "are you saying that McKenzie is not able to get open against zone defense?" and follow up "if that's the case, why did you wait until now to re-sign a retired player instead of looking to make a move for a player after Crowder was injured or before the trade deadline?"

I think Beane deserves a little scrutiny and some tough questions about the team's skill player and OL situation.

Note: not to be confused with nostalgia for Sullivan, who didn't ask tough questions he just asked dick questions.

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree.  Great interview.  Followed by Josh doing his best to contain himself.  The word "trust" came out of Josh's mouth early and often.

Yeah, Josh seemed almost giddy.  So if adding Beasley is the missing piece and it helps Josh, I'm glad, but I think there are a lot of questions raised.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Josh is one of the best at extending time. Brady is the opposite. cole works for josh because he has more time to get into the soft spot of the zone. honestly im happy to have Cole back. he doesnt need to be great just sure handed and find his spots for the first. those chain movers are much needed in close games.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Seeing it again, Josh underthrew that. I wanted to blame Brown a bit for letting the pass get broken up but it was underthrown .

Considering he has not had a lot of recent practice with Smoke and how heavy a wet ball is, that was still an impressive close one.

Smoke still has some wheels and had a step or two on Sauce.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

McKenzie definitely does not need any more targets

🙄

Should the Bills give back the 10 target, 6 reception 96 yard game he had against Detroit, or the 5 target, 5 reception 44 yd game he had against New England, or the 9 target, 7 reception, 76 yd game he had earlier in the season against Miami?

Look, one of two things is true.  If the Bills really didn't plan on McKenzie being the slot receiver (the way Beane implied today) and he really isn't able to get open against zone (the way Josh implied today), then the minute Crowder broke his leg Beane should have been burning up the phone lines looking for someone to trade for or bring in to fill that role.   McKenzie played 2 more games after that and before the trade deadline, and one of them was a very bad game for him - the Kansas City game.  So there were plenty of snaps and plenty of film on his play at that point, and he'd already had an expanded role vs  last year, before Crowder's injury.  Time to "fish or cut bait"!

So if you're right, and McKenzie shouldn't get more targets - and maybe you are, I'm certainly not behind center with 300 lb goliaths trying to kill me while I search for an open target to throw the ball - why wasn't a change made then? 

If McKenzie is the bum that so many here say he is (and you imply, excuse me if I'm reading into you), and he's not deserving of the high end of his utilization (which has worked pretty well when it's happened, actually),then  it's a real problem that he's one of the only 4 receivers that have been on the roster for ~half the season.  If that's the case, and maybe it is, then Orlovsky/Greg Cosell/Simms/even Sullivan all have a point that this isn't a Superbowl caliber offense.  Because if changing the usage of the personnel we already have on the field or the play design/play calling can't make a difference - being giddy over the return of a 33 yr old guy who has been on the couch seems like a pretty slim reed.

I say all that having gone on record that if it helps Josh to have Beasley back, I'm all for it, and he still looks quick in the feet and "surgical" in his cuts.

Edited by Beck Water

I really wish the weather forecast was better for Sat night...I hope we get lucky in that area...Because I really want to see the passing game...I'm curious...This is fascinating stuff..

The Bills Offense was rounding into an absolute buzz saw late last year...And Beasley was an important piece of that...He's probably heathier now...I have no idea what to expect, but it certainly can't hurt...Brady had his guys too...Josh and Beas have had a lot of success together...

Let's see...B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Also, cannot stress enough how often Allen has to reset in the pocket to avoid quick pressures we keep leaking.

I know Allen tries to keep his eyes downfield, but there are going to be plenty of times he is going to have to check the rush and slide around to escape or buy time.

Open windows in coverage will often close before he is able to reset to get a pass off and that means off-schedule scramble drill passes.

Of course there are times Allen just prefers to go long and ignores the easy check down stuff in front of the sticks.

He is the anti-Trent Edwards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

🙄

Should the Bills give back the 10 target, 6 reception 96 yard game he had against Detroit, or the 5 target, 5 reception 44 yd game he had against New England, or the 9 target, 7 reception, 76 yd game he had earlier in the season against Miami?

Look, one of two things is true.  If the Bills really didn't plan on McKenzie being the slot receiver (the way Beane implied today) and he really isn't able to get open against zone (the way Josh implied today), then the minute Crowder broke his leg Beane should have been burning up the phone lines looking for someone to trade for or bring in to fill that role.   McKenzie played 2 more games after that and before the trade deadline, and one of them was a very bad game for him - the Kansas City game.  So there were plenty of snaps and plenty of film on his play at that point, and he'd already had an expanded role vs  last year, before Crowder's injury.

So if you're right, and McKenzie shouldn't get more targets - and maybe you are, I'm certainly not behind center with 300 lb goliaths trying to kill me while I search for an open target to throw the ball - why wasn't a change made then? 

If McKenzie is the bum that so many here say he is (and you imply, excuse me if I'm reading into you), and he's not deserving of the high end of his utilization (which has worked pretty well when it's happened, actually),then  it's a real problem that he's one of the only 4 receivers that have been on the roster for ~half the season.  If that's the case, and maybe it is, then Orlovsky/Greg Cosell/Simms/even Sullivan all have a point that this isn't a Superbowl caliber offense.  Because if changing the usage of the personnel we already have on the field or the play design/play calling can't make a difference - being giddy over the return of a 33 yr old guy who has been on the couch seems like a pretty slim reed.

I say all that having gone on record that if it helps Josh to have Beasley back, I'm all for it, and he still looks quick in the feet and "surgical" in his cuts.

I don't think McKenzie is a bum, but he's not a very good wideout. That's the main reason he doesn't need more targets.

I think they papered over the loss of Crowder until it became apparent the McKenzie/Shakir combo wasn't cutting it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

🙄

Look, one of two things is true.  If the Bills really didn't plan on McKenzie being the slot receiver (the way Beane implied today) and he really isn't able to get open against zone (the way Josh implied today), then the minute Crowder broke his leg Beane should have been burning up the phone lines looking for someone to trade for or bring in to fill that role.   McKenzie played 2 more games after that and before the trade deadline, and one of them was a very bad game for him - the Kansas City game.  So there were plenty of snaps and plenty of film on his play at that point, and he'd already had an expanded role vs  last year, before Crowder's injury.  Time to "fish or cut bait"!

I have to ask - how do you have time to generate so much content?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/12/cole-beasley-back-at-practice-for-bills-gm-says-i-trust-his-hands-video.html

Beane is indulging in a bit of revisionism here.  Last year McKenzie played about 1/4 of the offensive snaps - 24%.  Prior to Crowder's injury, McKenzie was playing 50% of the snaps, to Crowder's 33% - so he had an expanded role before Crowder went out.  After Crowder's injury, McKenzie has played 58% of the snaps.  So not a big difference vs. the difference between last season and the first part of this season.

I wish our press would ask Beane a few more questions, like be prepared to point that out and say "does this mean that Shakir hasn't developed as you anticipated?"  "are you saying that McKenzie is not able to get open against zone defense?" and follow up "if that's the case, why did you wait until now to re-sign a retired player instead of looking to make a move for a player after Crowder was injured or before the trade deadline?"

I think Beane deserves a little scrutiny and some tough questions about the team's skill player and OL situation.

Note: not to be confused with nostalgia for Sullivan, who didn't ask tough questions he just asked dick questions.

See, I disagree here. Of course Beane is playing a little loosely with the details here.  Why would you ask this stuff? Fill in the blanks yourself. There’s a saying that your actions speak so loudly there’s no need to hear what you say.  A GM’s job is not to bad mouth his players to the media. Those are not tough questions: they’re questions you are guaranteed to get word salad talkarounds from the GM to shield his guys from outside criticism. As to the player moves, fine. The answers will be that they explored options but couldn’t get a deal done due to high draft pick compensation, and that cap considerations forced their hand. These are very boring give and takes with rote responses because there are things that GMs cannot say publicly. I’m not a fan of this style of press in sports .There are opinion columns for a reason : critique Beane all you want there.  Keep “tough questions” for politicians,  not for folks in the entertainment business. Just my opinion and your mileage may vary. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Then I'm gonna say this, meaning it in the nicest most constructive way....in that instance, maybe a QB needs to "get over himself" and change how he looks at the field.

The last thing Allen needs to do is "get over himself".  This guy has repeatedly shouldered the blame for anything that goes wrong on the offense and has never to my knowledge thrown a teammate or coach under the bus.

And for the record Allen does a great job looking at the field. Particularly considering that as WideNine points out he is often running for his life to escape initial pressure. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

In my numbers geek, focused on analytics, been watching football for over 50 years sense of things, I agree with you.

I believe all these guys would say the right stuff about winning is what matters, blah blah but I kind of have the sense that Josh set out the year with some personal goals - show he's one of the top passers in the league, make Diggs one of the top WR in the league, help Gabe Davis earn a big contract. 

Not a definitive source, but in Ty Dunne's show, Isaiah McKenzie said he understands that Diggs has to get the ball first and then Gabe has to get the ball.  He didn't, to me, say this in any kind of a critical way, just 'that's how it is'.  But I'll be critical, and say, that's really not an effective way to play against a quality defense if that's in fact been part of Josh's mindset.  It really needs to be "take what the defense gives you, don't force it".

Because you're right, when the defense realizes it's being dealt "death by 1000 cuts" and it had better change and stop them, either you're already in the endzone and winning the game OR they adapt and move to stop those cuts and then the splash plays become what the defense gives you.

I almost feel like the Miami game was a turning point and they're afraid to go back to 5 yards per play but controlling the ball for 41 minutes due to the player exhaustion that day. IMO, the exhaustion was due to the heat on the sideline, but they're not risking it. Maybe this week they'll go back to it with Cole around. 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Considering he has not had a lot of recent practice with Smoke and how heavy a wet ball is, that was still an impressive close one.

Smoke still has some wheels and had a step or two on Sauce.

It would have been amazing for that to go for a TD and blow up the talk that he's already the best corner in the league like I've been reading this week lol

44 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

See, I disagree here. Of course Beane is playing a little loosely with the details here.  Why would you ask this stuff? Fill in the blanks yourself. There’s a saying that your actions speak so loudly there’s no need to hear what you say.  A GM’s job is not to bad mouth his players to the media. Those are not tough questions: they’re questions you are guaranteed to get word salad talkarounds from the GM to shield his guys from outside criticism. As to the player moves, fine. The answers will be that they explored options but couldn’t get a deal done due to high draft pick compensation, and that cap considerations forced their hand. These are very boring give and takes with rote responses because there are things that GMs cannot say publicly. I’m not a fan of this style of press in sports .There are opinion columns for a reason : critique Beane all you want there.  Keep “tough questions” for politicians,  not for folks in the entertainment business. Just my opinion and your mileage may vary. 

I'm okay with tough questions for blatantly bad moves, but lots of stuff just comes across as being nit-picky. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The last thing Allen needs to do is "get over himself".  This guy has repeatedly shouldered the blame for anything that goes wrong on the offense and has never to my knowledge thrown a teammate or coach under the bus.

And for the record Allen does a great job looking at the field. Particularly considering that as WideNine points out he is often running for his life to escape initial pressure. 

Yes. That is a crazy thing to suggest, especially with respect to McKenzie who has been very flippant about pointing out his teammates' flaws.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.