Week 15: Dolphins at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

As a retired professional meteorologist, I have to agree with every word in this post, except the last part about the NWS office.  The NWS has to put out a forecast and give it their best shot.  What are they supposed to do, just shrug and say, we don't have any idea?  Probably the best thing would be to say that there will be localized heavy snow, with a decent chance that Rich Stadium (honestly I can't remember its current name) will be hit.

I mean that's pretty much what they did...they gave their initial forecast as to what they were expecting but gave the caveat that it was too early to know definitively and that even slight wind direction changes could make a big difference in the placement of the bands and the intensity. 

7 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

For the education and professional experience level it takes to work for the NWS, the employees get paid peanuts.  Maybe when I’m 60 and already sitting on another pension I’ll consider working for the NWS.  Otherwise they can keep their $80K per year GS-12 job that requires a Graduate or Doctorate level degree plus 4-6 years operational experience.  🤮 

Yeah, I spent my entire career in meteorology and related fields, and never worked for the NWS.  The pay grade issue, the lack of compensation commensurate with the educational requirements, the shift work, and the factory-line mentality to get forecasts out one after another whether you've got the weather figured out or not, all pushed me in other directions.  Visit Silver Spring MD sometime and get a tour of the huge NWS HQ complex to see where the money goes, and where the high-grade jobs are.  I got away from daily forecasting and moved into related fields, working at a national lab and then DoD, ended up a GS-15 for 10 years.  Didn't get filthy rich but did OK.  (Maybe once you're 60 with a pension you'll want to work for the NWS.  I'm 66, with pensions, and would never consider it.)

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean that's pretty much what they did...they gave their initial forecast as to what they were expecting but gave the caveat that it was too early to know definitively and that even slight wind direction changes could make a big difference in the placement of the bands and the intensity. 

OK then.  Glad to see that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That isn't accurate. Buffalo is expected to get 10-18".

In fact at game time, Buffalo may have more than OP since the snow is supposed to start over Metro Buffalo Friday night before dropping south a few hours prior to kickoff.

Huh? Accu weather has north Buffalo at 1 to 3 inches for all Saturday into Sunday AM

On 12/12/2022 at 1:14 PM, Big Turk said:

Bills require less individual talent to play well in their system but far more teamwork and trusting other people will be doing their job in the scheme to work as a unit.

If this was true we wouldn’t have drafted a CB (twice) in the the first round and we definitely wouldn’t have traded up….

I can’t say why Elam isn’t playing, could be a # of things including…. Hasn’t played CB on the right side often, is terrible vs. the run, Doesn’t play our D nearly as mistake free as Jackson, Bills waiting on their man D, hoping to spring it in the playoffs. Elam is hurt.

They’re worried about a Tre White reinjury…and want to keep Elam ready on the left…who knows?

30 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

If this was true we wouldn’t have drafted a CB (twice) in the the first round and we definitely wouldn’t have traded up….

I can’t say why Elam isn’t playing, could be a # of things including…. Hasn’t played CB on the right side often, is terrible vs. the run, Doesn’t play our D nearly as mistake free as Jackson, Bills waiting on their man D, hoping to spring it in the playoffs. Elam is hurt.

They’re worried about a Tre White reinjury…and want to keep Elam ready on the left…who knows?

It assuredly is true. 

This is like a weather channel debate than football talk.   Back in the old days (60s) weather was hardly discussed as it related to football.  Little to no passing and run the ball was the mentality.  How times have changed.  

46 minutes ago, Nitro said:

This is like a weather channel debate than football talk.   Back in the old days (60s) weather was hardly discussed as it related to football.  Little to no passing and run the ball was the mentality.  How times have changed.  

Because football is an outdoor sport and weather doesn't stop you from playing it. Teams are supposed to plan for and overcome the elements. Before domes, it was just the norm.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I will believe it When I see it!  Let's go Buffalo!

Hey eey easy yeah, let's go Buffalo?

Times is hard, we putting 2 shows on at once with the asscipade 

4 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Hey eey easy yeah, let's go Buffalo?

Times is hard, we putting 2 shows on at once with the asscipade 

Im coming back soft 😆 

I think that there is too much emphasis here on the weather, and not enough on football.  The Miami Football team will be fine.  This will be a close and competitive game. 

Back to Bills O-Line issues and avoiding mistakes.  Catch the ball, hold onto the ball stuff like that.   

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’d say let’s have that conversation. 

Go ahead, move Herbert ahead of Allen on your power ranking lists.

Who is Jackson Powers and Steven Ruiz? Never heard of them. 

Love Herbert, but I feel I'm being fairly objective here when I say most NFL GMs would choose Allen to start their franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Nothing in the world more boring than weather talk.

Have you ever discussed ballet or carpet fibers or Tibetan animal husbandry?

Edited by wjag

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

I think that there is too much emphasis here on the weather, and not enough on football.  The Miami Football team will be fine.  This will be a close and competitive game. 

Back to Bills O-Line issues and avoiding mistakes.  Catch the ball, hold onto the ball stuff like that.   

Dolphins are in a tough spot. They aren't playing a losing football team like they did during their 5-game winning streak. They are playing a 3rd straight road game and in the NFL that is almost unheard of. To play B2B in California and now have to come to snowy Buffalo. If the Bills play the way, they are capable of they will win. Avoid turnovers obviously.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

I disagree about Miami being fine. The offense is timing based, speed oriented, has a poor run game, and a middling defense with a decimated secondary. At a minimum, the conditions will throw off the timing and limit a gimpy Hill. Not to mention QB not particularly good or able to run, a detriment in a weather or snow game.

Dolphins have their own online issues w Armstead health in question. Several guys out or gimpy on the Phish offense. 

I think the Bills beat this team 8/10 times on a neutral site. 

I think the Bills are furious about that Miami loss, a fluky loss, with 11/22 starters out and blasted by extreme heat. Even still they dominated the stats and were the better team that day that simply blew it and ran out of time. This team will be at their best Saturday.  

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’d say let’s have that conversation. 

Go ahead, move Herbert ahead of Allen on your power ranking lists.

Who is Jackson Powers and Steven Ruiz? Never heard of them. 

I think that Herbert is receiving more help from his playmakers and O-Line.   Josh has not been great, but the rhythm is often interrupted by drops and holding penalties.   The Bills offense is sputtering but it is an 11 man problem, not Josh's problem.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I think that Herbert is receiving more help from his playmakers and O-Line.   Josh has not been great, but the rhythm is often interrupted by drops and holding penalties.   The Bills offense is sputtering but it is an 11 man problem, not Josh's problem.   

There are things to clean up but they are the number 2 offense.  I don't think they're sputtering.

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

You gotta love that the City of Buffalo is projected to get 0.1” while The stadium is right in the target zone of 14.5”.  Miami has to be shaking their heads. It’ll look good on TV for the nation. Everyone likes a good snow game.

Buffalo is going to get 12 to 22 inches per NOAA

12 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Then you haven't seen many CB's if you think he's the worst you ever seen. He's having a down season sure, but he looked good last season and had a good year drawing a bit of attention.

In any event, it's clear he's struggled some this year, but don't see how you could honestly say the worst you have ever seen 

Let us not forget the Giant's immortal Elvis "Toast" Patterson

28 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Oh man…if we get up by a lot and Tua is playing poorly how badly to I want a chant at the stadium from the Bills faithful of

”MVP…MVP…MVP” for Tua.

I honestly think he has mostly played quite well this season, but that would just be perfect.

He's played rather poorly the last 2 games and has been completely awful in the 3 games he's played below 45 degrees 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

NWS Buffalo updated the Lake Snow Warning for Southern Erie to be 1-3 feet now from 15-22 inches.

Their forecast, specifically for Orchard Park:

Friday Night: 4-8"

Saturday Day: 5-9"

Saturday Night: 4-8"

Basically there will be a lot of snow and the game will look like a snow globe for the National TV Audience.

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.