Week 6: Bills at CHIEFS 10/16 4:25pm

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

There is a long way to go in the season but if this happens...

(11) Michael Nania on Twitter: "If the Jets, Chiefs (vs. BUF), and Giants (vs. BAL) win this week, the Jets will be the #2 seed in the AFC." / Twitter

That's the kind of stuff we used to hang our hat on during the drought years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

That's the kind of stuff we used to hang our hat on during the drought years. 

I live in NJ and have family, friends, and co-workers who are Jets fans. I will have to listen to their **** all week if it does happen. I do think the Jets have shot. GB doesn't look all the dominant. Even the Pats game two weeks ago I thought NE was controlling the play for long stretches of the game. They almost won at Lambeau. I do think GB will win but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a one score game throughout. I also think the Bills win in a close one. Giants and Ravens is a toss up.

Edited by Greg S

So I was taking my car in for tires this morning, and since it was cold, I had on my slightly battered, vintage Super Bowl era Starter jacket.  The manager of the Goodyear Center said, "Oh, I love that." 

Not the usual reaction you get when you live 1100 miles from Buffalo and only 70 miles from Arrowhead.  It turns out he's from Batavia so we talked Bills, last year's playoff game and Buffalo foods for 15 minutes.  OK, people behind me were getting annoyed, but screw 'em. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

This! Exactly this. The purpose of pressure on a QB is to force him to hurry his process. He was already in a rush, what with 13 seconds and all.

Um.  The difference between a QB hurrying and getting the ball out fast is 2.1-2.4 seconds vs 3-4 seconds.

Letting Mahomes have as long as he wants with no pressure is an invitation to big plays, because no coverage can hold up that long.

26 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

As of now only Kumerow is out

Is this from the McDermott interview on radio?

Edited by Beck Water

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. It is a fantastic article and I highly suggest everyone give it a read. There are tons of graphics and things that wouldn't paste well here, so just check it out if you're interested.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/10/14/23403727/bills-chiefs-game-plans-schemes

The Game Plans That Will Decide Bills-Chiefs

The game of the year is here. Kansas City and Buffalo have electric quarterbacks, incredible offenses, and capable defenses. Who has the upper hand in a game that could go a long way in determining who wins the AFC?

Everybody stay calm. It’s Bills vs. Chiefs.

The greatest game of last season—of perhaps the last several seasons—was played between the Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs just nine months ago. You remember? The one in which Josh Allen scored the game-winning touchdown, and then Patrick Mahomes somehow came back and scored the actual game-winning touchdown—until, of course, Allen drove down the field and scored the final game-winning touchdown—that is, until Mahomes used all 13 seconds remaining on the clock to drive into field-goal range, send the game into overtime, win the coin toss, and (you guessed it) score the actual, final, I-really-mean-it-this-time, game-winning touchdown.

Yeah. Pretty good football game.

Entering Week 6, it would be unfair to expect the same fireworks from the rematch. But of course, there is still reason to get excited. These are the two best teams by expected points added per dropback by a country mile, as Allen and Mahomes have become the defining quarterbacks of this generation of football. And they’re both AFC contenders, looking to repeat as division winners and make the playoffs. Where they might meet again. And might meet every year. For the rest of time.

OK, it’s very tempting to expect the same fireworks.

There is no doubt that Buffalo and Kansas City have planned around this Week 6 matchup for awhile. So Steven Ruiz and I took a look at last year’s matchup—as well as this year’s versions of the Bills and Chiefs—to try to understand what each team will bring to this game. We’ll break it down on both sides of the ball; I’ll play the Chiefs, and Steven will play the Bills.

We’ll start there: when the Bills have the ball. Ruiz, take it away....

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

already posted that one, but yours is prettier because it has a tweet and pictures.

it's a great article tho

I enjoyed it.  Lame ending though.  Stephan Ruiz, who supposedly is representing the Bills, concludes that the Chiefs win.  Ben Solak, who is supposedly representing the Chiefs, concludes the Bills win.

A lot is being made of the Miami defense against Buffalo in the 2nd half.  Kollman did a Film Room on it.   He does some good stuff, but he also does some reactive stuff and in this case, I think he missed the fact that the Bills were literally getting baked on the sideline (afternoon in Mia usually hot but has cloud cover/some rain), they were playing with a 1-legged OLman at the end of the final series, they had 3rd stringers at C and across the R side of the line most of the game with no substitutes available, and the WR were playing through cramps despite getting IVs in both arms. 

So maybe in more ordinary circumstances where we have an OL and unhindered WR, that "show something else, drop into cover 2" stuff will work as well for other teams, or maybe it will result in confusion and gaps in coverage Allen can exploit.

Ruiz mentions the addition of Von Miller, but he doesn't mention that 1) Miller seems to have raised the level in the DE room the same way Diggs leveled-up the WR 2) the Bills also rebuilt the interior of the DL at 3/4 positions.  Here's hoping that Ed and BigJ are closer to normal.

Good article on The Athletic ... https://theathletic.com/3691083/2022/10/14/bills-chiefs-roundtable-preview/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

The Athletic’s Chiefs writer Nate Taylor and Bills writer Joe Buscaglia to break down the matchup.  Nothing earth-shattering/anything that hasn't been discussed here, already.  Here are their predictions ...

Nate: Bills 31, Chiefs 30 — Here’s an almost obligatory prediction: The team with the ball last wins the game. So we’ll go with the Bills winning on a late field goal. Of course, Bills fans will want the field-goal attempt to start with only a few seconds on the clock, ensuring that it’s the final snap of the game. The Bills, I believe, have learned plenty from how their previous season ended, more than just what went wrong in the final 13 seconds of regulation. The best way the Bills can prove they’re the NFL’s best team this season, at least through six weeks, is by beating the Chiefs on the road.

Joe: Bills 33, Chiefs 24 — The Bills have enough offensive firepower to go toe-to-toe with Mahomes and the Chiefs, but I think their defense is better equipped than last year to deal with this evolved version of the Chiefs offense. As long as the defensive front gets into the backfield on occasion, I cautiously think the Bills will come away victorious in this round.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Good article on The Athletic ... https://theathletic.com/3691083/2022/10/14/bills-chiefs-roundtable-preview/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

The Athletic’s Chiefs writer Nate Taylor and Bills writer Joe Buscaglia to break down the matchup.  Nothing earth-shattering/anything that hasn't been discussed here, already.  Here are their predictions ...

Nate: Bills 31, Chiefs 30 — Here’s an almost obligatory prediction: The team with the ball last wins the game. So we’ll go with the Bills winning on a late field goal. Of course, Bills fans will want the field-goal attempt to start with only a few seconds on the clock, ensuring that it’s the final snap of the game. The Bills, I believe, have learned plenty from how their previous season ended, more than just what went wrong in the final 13 seconds of regulation. The best way the Bills can prove they’re the NFL’s best team this season, at least through six weeks, is by beating the Chiefs on the road.

Joe: Bills 33, Chiefs 24 — The Bills have enough offensive firepower to go toe-to-toe with Mahomes and the Chiefs, but I think their defense is better equipped than last year to deal with this evolved version of the Chiefs offense. As long as the defensive front gets into the backfield on occasion, I cautiously think the Bills will come away victorious in this round.

i think a lot of these themes continue to show the Bills control the ball game and it will be theirs to lose.

• Like (+1) 1

May have a paywall, but good discussion between Joe Buscaglia and Chiefs reporter Nate Taylor

https://theathletic.com/3691083/2022/10/14/bills-chiefs-roundtable-preview/?redirected=1

Key points:

-Both reporters point to the matchup between the Chiefs OL and the re-vamped Bills DL as key. 

Joe: Well, not to be redundant, but I think not just me but the Bills themselves cannot wait to see how their new-look defensive line stacks up against Mahomes and their stellar offensive line. The way the Chiefs fixed their offensive line problems over the last two years is eerily similar to how the Bills addressed their defensive line. The only difference is that the Bills didn’t trade for someone like the Chiefs did for Orlando Brown. The Chiefs offensive line is extremely impressive when they are at full capacity, and this matchup will wind up being one of the biggest tests for Miller, Oliver, Jones, Rousseau and company to see if they can finally solve the Mahomes riddle.

-I had not realized that the Chiefs are playing 1 vet safety and the rest rookies in the secondary.  Hmmmmm.

The Chiefs drafted rookie receiver Skyy Moore in the second round and the team added veteran receivers JuJu Smith-Schuster and Marquez Valdes-Scantling in free agency. The Chiefs are no longer the deep-passing attack they once were with Hill, but Mahomes, star tight Travis Kelce and the new receivers have still been able to lead the league in points per game (31.8) entering Sunday’s showdown.

The second major change is that the Chiefs’ secondary has five new members: veteran safety Justin Reid, rookie Bryan Cook and rookie cornerbacks Trent McDuffie, Joshua Williams and Jaylen Watson. The Chiefs revamped their secondary in part to be more competitive against superstar quarterback Josh Allen and the Bills’ collection of talented receivers, such as superstar Stefon Diggs, Gabriel Davis, Isaiah McKenzie and rookie Khalil Shakir.

Asked "Are you surprised the Bills are betting favorites vs the Chiefs at home?

Joe: I am, and I’m not. The surprise is in the initial reaction based on the history with Mahomes and how incredibly talented he is, but the surprise ends when you factor in this version of the Bills. This Bills team is the best one I have ever covered. They are good almost everywhere, and even when they’re injured at critical positions, they still find a way to crush teams. When they are at their best, I think they can beat anyone this year — and this is coming from someone who has seen a lot of bad-to-mediocre football over the years in Buffalo. They’ve managed a 4-1 record against three teams with winning records and the reigning Super Bowl champions, and their lone loss was due to self-inflicted errors and missed opportunities above all else. With all of that said, though, the Chiefs are in a different tier than their other opponents so far this season. This matchup is going to be electric.

May we be at our best!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

From the Ringer article I posted above, I found this line pretty astonishing:

"I’m not exaggerating when I say that an Allen-to-Davis post route might be the most effective play in the history of ball. The duo has been perfect on those plays, going 9-for-9 for 426 yards and four touchdowns. That’s 47 yards per throw."

----------

Needless to say, a healthy Gabe Davis is a game changer for the Bills offense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 5

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I find it amazing that some blame the guy no longer here(the ex special teams coach) for that 13 second collapse… As if kicking into the end zone was the reason they botched those next two plays. it’s laughable. 😅

There was nothing negative about the original posters post… he was just being making a joke and a few highly sensitive fans came to shout him down. 

It IS the reason they botched the next TWO plays.  If they didn’t kick it out of the end zone, there wouldn’t have been enough time for 2 plays and a FG.  Capiche?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The bills seem to have been handling the injuries well but playing Phillips vs Pittsburgh was beyond dumb. The guy looked like he got sniped when he went down vs the Titans. Players don't usually come back from hamstrings in two weeks and we brought him back for a game we basically knew we were going to win by 30 points. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Process said:

The bills seem to have been handling the injuries well but playing Phillips vs Pittsburgh was beyond dumb. The guy looked like he got sniped when he went down vs the Titans. Players don't usually come back from hamstrings in two weeks and we brought him back for a game we basically knew we were going to win by 30 points. 

With all due respect, the Bills have one of the best, if not THE best medical staff in the league.

They have shown time and time again that they prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to injuries.

If they felt that Phillips was ready to play, then I trust them. Guys get re-injured, it happens. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

With all due respect, the Bills have one of the best, if not THE best medical staff in the league.

They have shown time and time again that they prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to injuries.

If they felt that Phillips was ready to play, then I trust them. Guys get re-injured, it happens. 

They had Davis out there basically on one leg for two weeks. I don't think they are aggressive in general trying to get guys back, but I don't think they are more "cautious" than any other team in the league. 

Playing Phillips in a game we had zero need for him was dumb period. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Process said:

They had Davis out there basically on one leg for two weeks. I don't think they are aggressive in general trying to get guys back, but I don't think they are more "cautious" than any other team in the league. 

Playing Phillips in a game we had zero need for him was dumb period. 

I'll never cease to be amazed by the degree to which posters on an internet message board rate their own medical expertise ahead of that of trained professionals. 

Agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This team is extremely deep 

Daquon Jones and Siran Neal were our highest graded players according to pff. Both posted 90+ grades. 

It's been stated many times but the way this culture was built is masterful. The way Beane plucks low to mid tier FAs and coaches develop late round rookies is masterful. 

Our run D went from a weakness to a strength. Our pass rush as well. Our beat up secondary hasn't missed a beat with multiple 1st time starters.  I think we're just superior to KC overall but should be a dog fight and great challenge 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

in hindsight, yes, we probably could have rested JPhillips against the Steelers.

I think Phillips may also want to be out there too badly and may be downplaying the issue. He may also legit feel good on his hammy at practice speed or in training but even if comes to blast his 340lb body off the line at full game speed the soft tissue just goes “you thought wrong”. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

This team is extremely deep 

Daquon Jones and Siran Neal were our highest graded players according to pff. Both posted 90+ grades. 

It's been stated many times but the way this culture was built is masterful. The way Beane plucks low to mid tier FAs and coaches develop late round rookies is masterful. 

Our run D went from a weakness to a strength. Our pass rush as well. Our beat up secondary hasn't missed a beat with multiple 1st time starters.  I think we're just superior to KC overall but should be a dog fight and great challenge 

that Kansas City D ain’t good, but you just know they’ll be playing out of their minds for this game.  (And being very physical with our receivers).

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll never cease to be amazed by the degree to which posters on an internet message board rate their own medical expertise ahead of that of trained professionals. 

Agree to disagree.

Enlighten me on the expertise you have that qualifies you to rate the bills medical staff as the best in the league? Please tell me how a fan, any fan, could possibly know or judge that?

• Haha (+1) 1

The way I see this game playing out is that the Chiefs will test if we've really gotten better against the run, early. They'll then test their screen game vs our D with McKinnon/Pacheco. This is the game for Groot/Oliver to cement their names into conversations around the league. Maxx and Chandler presented problems for the Chiefs offensive line. Von, Groot and Oliver needs to do the same, 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

You mean to tell me that the incessantly negative posters on a fan forum get pushback?!  This is an outrage!  It's not like the Bills are the superbowl favorite.  I guess your views  are just more "valid" and "accountable" than those damn positive posters.

Depends how you see things. What's "innessantly" mean and include?  Does that include positive posts too?  A balance of positive and negative critiques is probable a good thing. I saw a long time poster here pretty much attacking another for his valid negative critiques. Happens all the time! It is what it is...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:55 PM, Dan said:

I was under the impression the first team was, however, named after Buffalo Bill? 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/important-dates-in-bills-history-how-the-bills-got-their-name-16401977

yes that is true. But that was not part of the name the team process for current franchise originally owned by Ralph. Ralph adopted the Bills name from the previous franchise. He did not hold a name the team contest.

The original AAFC team did the fan contest in '47, changing from Bisons, choosing Bills, claiming out of 4500 entries the fans choose Bills 1st, over Bullets 2nd, Nickels 3rd, Blue Devils 4th. I don't know if i believe that. I think team owner James Breuil, who owned Frontier Oil, really liked Bills choice due to the explanation on the two chosen as co-winning fans submissions linking Buffalo Bill Cody on 1 fan sub with illustration.(that Bills actually used in early years) and 2nd fan sub linking Buffalo Bill Cody with Frontier Oil western expansion.  

wiki: and many other sites confirm this also: "Wilson got wind of Lamar Hunt's plans for a new league, the American Football League, to challenge the NFL. He tried to put together a team in Miami, but was turned down. His next choice was Buffalo, where the AFL's first choice of owner, Pat McGroder, had declined to start a team. In September 1959, Wilson sent Hunt a telegram with the words, "Count me in with Buffalo.” He named his new team the Bills, after a previous team that had played in the All-America Football Conference from 1946 to 1949. On October 28, 1959, the Buffalo Bills officially became the seventh AFL team." 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, well, last week you were saying the 14 point spread was too large and it turned out we doubled the spread. So maybe people are sensitive to your criticism because it isn't based in fact?

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and eat crow. Obviously, that was an opinion not a fact. Aren't we allowed to give opinions anymore? How is saying the spread was too large a criticism? Talk about grasping at straws. Did you forget that I said the Bills would win? 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have to be honest.  The only thing I want to know is today's injury report.

Fingers crossed for Poyer, Edmunds and Knox and for no new names to pop up.

McDermis was on WGR with Sal Capicola this morning and said Kumerow is only player ruled out for Sunday. 
Encouraging. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.