Dolphins @ Bengals - TNF Game Thread

Simon

16 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

As much as I’d like to agree, I don’t. Unfortunately for us, Miami still has a weak schedule (while 3 of our next 4 games are against the Ravens, Chiefs, and Packers), and McDaniel will easily be able to deflect since his MVP QB went out with an injury. 

Also Miami might have a QB problem if Tua remains out

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd agree that Miami is better with Bridgewater than Tua. 

When it comes to throwing more than 20 yards I would agree.   Otherwise, no. Tua has been doing a good job this year at quick shots to move the chains.   His deep ball and pocket awareness are the worst part of his game. 

His rare deep ball has been successful but wasn't going to be sustainable. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think he's in the 14 to 18 range.  Fast processor.  Accurate.  Average arm strength and mobility.

I think McDaniel has done a nice job bringing in an offense more suited to Tua and surrounding him with weapons like Hill and Waddell. 

No disrespect intended to our WRs but could you imagine Josh having Hill and Waddell to throw to ?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Shouldn't be any turbulence issues in the vicinity of Florida ...

For real.  I just want to say, the older I get, the more cautious I've become.

It's one thing to get released from the hospital after this and go home and have someone watching you.

For me, it's a completely different thing to leave, get on an airplane, and if something goes wrong....................!

911 won't help at 35,000 ft.  Doctors or not, I would be nervous.

34 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I think McDaniel has done a nice job bringing in an offense more suited to Tua and surrounding him with weapons like Hill and Waddell. 

No disrespect intended to our WRs but could you imagine Josh having Hill and Waddell to throw to ?

That speed is hard to deny , or duplicate.  We really could use someone like Waddell.   We beat teams with routes and scheme, so some great speed would be a plus. Maybe they need to give cook some reps out as a receiver ? Drafted the guy , use him. 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, appoo said:

After seeing what Tua looked like on the field it is mind boggling that he’s being released and sent back on the team plane.

literally unbelievable 

What is more unbelievable is the complete shock of the media about such an injury, as if we had no prior indication that Tua might have a susceptibility to having a (more intensive) head injury so soon after his (not really a) back injury four ***** days ago.

This whole Twitterverse outpouring of "OH NOEZ how unprecedented and how unexpected we are praying for U nobody could have seen this coming how sad" makes me retch. Everybody with a willingness to accept the images being shuttled through their optic nerve since Sunday saw this coming.

• Agree 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
9 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I think he said it after the half.  I'll have to watch the replay to see if I heard him right.

Re: Al Michael's comment, he said Tua asked coach (as he was being taken off on stretcher), what happened on the play, eg: complete or incomplete pass.

The comment was made in regard that Tua was not only conscious, but also had his barrings to engage in conversation with his coach.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

Mike McDaniels is full of *****.

I actually like this guy.  I think he is being honest. He is kind of nerdy , and I don’t see him being malicious enough to pit Tua in if Drs told him to keep him out.   Fins are in good hands , unfortunately.   But I at least like the guy compared to a creep like Belicheck

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I saw a 6 TD and almost 500 yard comeback that he made against Baltimore. He beat us after throwing a nice bomb to Jaylen. The talent is there and he finally got a coach who believes in him. If you can’t see the talent then idk what to tell you. I’m not saying he’ll ever be at the caliber of Allen or Mahomes etc. But he’s damn good and I hate to see when people write him off as some bum.

My eye sees an average QB. Maybe a game manager and borderline starter. Add on that the guy can't stay healthy going back to his college days. Not sure why you are defending him? He made one throw against the Bills to a wide open Waddle with no pressure on him. You or I could have made that throw. In Balt, the guy played like shut for 3 quarters. Then Balt collapsed. He did make some very good throws at the very end. His body of work just isn't good. The one quarter of play vs the Ravens is an outlier. 

The Dolphins made a colossal mistakes reaching for The when Herbert was ripe for the picki

11 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I would tend to agree...but after Sunday's hit and him all woozy, then playing 4 days later, nothing would surprise me.

What really irks me is the media is running with the back issue Tua suffered in Buffalo. Why doesn't someone call out the bull####! Say something like I saw the play and how Tua's reacted afterwards. That's a concussion and no one can convince otherwise. I'm not buying what is being said. There should be a league wide investigation. This is unacceptable. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Miami Coach not really doing a good job expressing knowledge around head injuries

"I dont think an injury he sustained last week made him fall the way he did today and cause his injury"

Well.... if he had a concussion 5 days ago, and his brain was already f'd up, and he whacks his head again... that's no bueno.

Also - not that I expect football analysts to understand injury carryover, but does no one on the panel understand that just because he was released today that doesnt mean he is "healthy" and safe?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

My eye sees an average QB. Maybe a game manager and borderline starter. Add on that the guy can't stay healthy going back to his college days. Not sure why you are defending him? He made one throw against the Bills to a wide open Waddle with no pressure on him. You or I could have made that throw. In Balt, the guy played like shut for 3 quarters. Then Balt collapsed. He did make some very good throws at the very end. His body of work just isn't good. The one quarter of play vs the Ravens is an outlier. 

The Dolphins made a colossal mistakes reaching for The when Herbert was ripe for the picki

What really irks me is the media is running with the back issue Tua suffered in Buffalo. Why doesn't someone call out the bull####! Say something like I saw the play and how Tua's reacted afterwards. That's a concussion and no one can convince otherwise. I'm not buying what is being said. There should be a league wide investigation. This is unacceptable. 

I guess we’re gonna agree to disagree on this 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

I actually like this guy.  I think he is being honest. He is kind of nerdy , and I don’t see him being malicious enough to pit Tua in if Drs told him to keep him out.   Fins are in good hands , unfortunately.   But I at least like the guy compared to a creep like Belicheck

It's not about being malicious it's about being reckless.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Yeah.  He'd pry still try a bomb to Gilliam but that would be a special offense.  Let's hope Tua's okay.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Re: Al Michael's comment, he said Tua asked coach (as he was being taken off on stretcher), what happened on the play, eg: complete or incomplete pass.

The comment was made in regard that Tua was not only conscious, but also had his barrings to engage in conversation with his coach.

I thought Michaels and Herbstreit we're pretty bad. I hapoen to like both of them especially Herbstriet on college football. However, they were kissing Tua's behind like no other. Then they went on to kiss Bridewater's behind like he was Tom Brady. 

I was pretty disappointed with their effort tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

His durability skills are the only average thing…

I saw tua Play football as a high schooler And I knew he would be an NFL player at 17

The dude has tons of talent

What he doesn’t have is the requisite durability or size to last in the NFL… talent ISNT the issue

The ability to last in the NFL was always the question

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Have to hold the medical evaluator responsible.  It's his job to make the call and protect the player (his patient) from returning to the game.  I'm sure every player will say he's ok to play but the evaluator has to protect the player from himself sometimes. It really is crazy to not think he was concussed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

I don't think his honesty is in question but his competency on the topic should be.  He's honesty wrong then.  That is if we believe the decision to play Tua was his alone.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everything but his durability skills are average

I saw tua Play football as a high schooler And I knew he would be an NFL player at 17

What he doesn’t have is the requisite durability or size to last in the NFL… talent ISNT the issue

There's some talent lacking.   His arm is extremely weak and there's times when that's a critical talent to have.

8 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I don't think his honesty is in question but his competency on the topic should be.  He's honesty wrong then.  That is if we believe the decision to play Tua was his alone.  

There's some talent lacking.   His arm is extremely weak and there's times when that's a critical talent to have.

His arm is a lot stronger than you think

He has at least the same arm strength as a Joe Burrow… And I’ve seen them both live multiple times… in college and pros… tua in HS

He has 3x a stronger arm thanMatt Barkley our backup… That’s why one was a top 10 pick and one was a fourth rounder

Tua Throws with touch… That doesn’t mean he can’t sling it

Bills fans have become spoiled with Allen because he has an otherworldly arm never seen

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Miami Coach not really doing a good job expressing knowledge around head injuries

"I dont think an injury he sustained last week made him fall the way he did today and cause his injury"

Well.... if he had a concussion 5 days ago, and his brain was already f'd up, and he whacks his head again... that's no bueno.

Also - not that I expect football analysts to understand injury carryover, but does no one on the panel understand that just because he was released today that doesnt mean he is "healthy" and safe?

True , have to understand they have no medical expertise, nor does the head coach. He did seem to misspeak about the falling thing.  He was thrown to the ground violently, so not sure what he is referring to.  I think he is shaken up a little , just lost and your qb is fortunate to be going home.  True he is not out of the woods , the next 48 hours are still a critical time.  You can have delayed bleeds in that period.  So any NEURO changes , like vomiting or confusion or worsening headache are ominous signs.  He is traveling with a dr so that is as safe as he could be unless he started vomiting on the plane etc.  

People makimg an issue about him being discharged don’t know how much medicine has changed. If tests are negative you are discharged.    Hey I was discharged the next morning at 8 am AFTER having spinal surgery on 4 discs with spinal compression after getting out of surgery at 10 pm the night before.  I was in a lot of pain and Was like please let me stay just a day , but nope , sent home !😀.  When I was in residency In The 80’s , we literally kept people In the hospital for bed rest for simple,back pain for 3 -5 days !  No joke !  Medicine is much different now run by insurance companies and CEO’s.  

27 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

For real.  I just want to say, the older I get, the more cautious I've become.

It's one thing to get released from the hospital after this and go home and have someone watching you.

For me, it's a completely different thing to leave, get on an airplane, and if something goes wrong....................!

911 won't help at 35,000 ft.  Doctors or not, I would be nervous.

It’ certainly has some risk , but that is how medicine is risk vs benefit.   Short flight to Miami probably , like a couple hours probably. Maybe three ?  They have time to act unless he became unresponsive and I’m not a pilot , but I would think if that happened they could land in Atlanta etc. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

His durability skills are the only average thing…

The ability to last in the NFL was always the question

You can't dismiss his size or his durability when you evaluate Tua. Of course he is talented. No one is saying he isn't. So was Doug Flute, Matt Barkley, Gino Smith, Tyrod Taylor, etc...

The guy also doesn't throw the ball deep well. His arm is mediocre at best. Look at the Hill pass tonight. Look at the long pass to Waddle and the Balt games. Moon balls to wide open receivers. Tua is too one dimensional for the NFL. He poses no run threat whatsoever, can't throw the deep ball well, locks on to his WR and fails to go through progressions, etc. His one strength is a quick dropback and sling the ball out accurately. That just doesn't cut it in the NFL. He's a pure system QB and that system is very difficult to win with. Tua isntvelite or franchise. Not even close. He could be a version of Jimmy G. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You can't dismiss his size or his durability when you evaluate Tua. Of course he is talented. No one is saying he isn't. So was Doug Flute, Matt Barkley, Gino Smith, Tyrod Taylor, etc...

The guy also doesn't throw the ball deep well. His arm is mediocre at best. Look at the Hill pass tonight. Look at the long pass to Waddle and the Balt games. Moon balls to wide open receivers. Tua is too one dimensional for the NFL. He poses no run threat whatsoever, can't throw the deep ball well, locks on to his WR and fails to go through progressions, etc. His one strength is a quick dropback and sling the ball out accurately. That just doesn't cut it in the NFL. He's a pure system QB and that system is very difficult to win with. Tua isntvelite or franchise. Not even close. He could be a version of Jimmy G. 

Again Buffalo has had Allen for five years…  And we instantly got spoiled

tua Would have been the best or second best quarterback here since Jim Kelly

100% unequivocally

His durability is the only issue…. The guy plays perfectly within a system which is all you can ask for

Bills fans get delusional with rivals

I’ve seen Tua and Joe Burrow close to 10 times live in college and the pros… Joe Burrow’s arm is not that much stronger than Tuas… if any… They have the same level arm Strength .. Tua has a MUCH better arm than Matt Barkley… MUCH BETTER

His arm strength isnt the problem

It’s the ability to survive 17 games

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.