OJ Howard expected to sign with Bengals (update: signs with Texans)

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, Commish said:

So, if he signs with the Bengals, does that affect the Bill's cap hit?

Nope he got paid to be in Bills training campand nothing can change that.

and he'll make more getting paid somewhere else

46 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

If playing with Josh couldn't get him going and motivated don't know what Burrow can do.

No hate on Burrow, maybe their TE depth is seriously lacking.

They have no one behind Hayden hurst.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

how bad must have howard been for the bills to cut him?  besides he ability, was it an attitude or work ethic issue?

Ability shown throughout camp and preseason wasn’t going to get him on the field on offense and he doesn’t play ST as a depth guy, so gots to go. Essentially he got beat out for TE2 by Quintin Morris. Sweeney can play ST and Josh likes him so he gets to stay as the depth TE. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have no one behind Hayden hurst.

Ability shown throughout camp and preseason wasn’t going to get him on the field on offense and he doesn’t play ST as a depth guy, so gots to go. Essentially he got beat out for TE2 by Quintin Morris. Sweeney can play ST and Josh likes him so he gets to stay as the depth TE. 

We have no one behind Knox! Lol

8 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

IMO they could have kept Howard and Morris and put Sweeney on the PS. Outside of Knox, I worry if they have to be consistently relied upon. But then again I’m not the GM or coach :) 

Howard didn’t do enough to make the team, it’s that simple. He got beat out by Morris for TE2 and if you are going to be kept as TE3 you need to play on teams, which he does not. It’s pretty clear he was the worst of the TEs in camp. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Howard didn’t do enough to make the team, it’s that simple. He got beat out by Morris for TE2 and if you are going to be kept as TE3 you need to play on teams, which he does not. It’s pretty clear he was the worst of the TEs in camp. 

After seeing some of Morris tape from the preseason, both blocking and his catches... that dude looks like he can play.  The athleticism/receiving aspect was never in question, but if he can block now... that guy could be a legit TE2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

After seeing some of Morris tape from the preseason, both blocking and his catches... that dude looks like he can play.  The athleticism/receiving aspect was never in question, but if he can block now... that guy could be a legit TE2.

He has developed well. TE is also one of the tougher positions in the nfl for young guys to develop because it is not a position that is utilized the same way in most college schemes as it is in the league. Outside of a few college offenses, most TEs coming out of college are a projection based on measurables

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

During camp at SJF, Astro used to comment about the TEs doing extra work w/Boras.  Sometimes it would be Knox  + Morris or Morris + Sweeney.

Howard was never mentioned.  He either thought he didn’t need the work or just didn’t feel the need to compete/get better.

I wasn’t surprised when he was cut.  I think his ‘respect the process’ was at best, Null.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, hemma said:

During camp at SJF, Astro used to comment about the TEs doing extra work w/Boras.  Sometimes it would be Knox  + Morris or Morris + Sweeney.

Howard was never mentioned.  He either thought he didn’t need the work or just didn’t feel the need to compete/get better.

I wasn’t surprised when he was cut.  I think his ‘respect the process’ was at best, Null.

The failure was in the pro scouting process and decision to sign him at all, and to that deal. But it’s wise to recognize that error and cut your losses early instead of doubling down on a player that doesn’t fit and isn’t going to help your team. The money is spent either way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So many people (fans) grade a player on what they see during the games, but the coaches see these guys in meetings, practice, and the locker room. I’m guessing Howard hasn’t impressed anyone in any of those off field venues. 

They also have cameras everywhere at TC. They track the players every move during drills, on the sidelines, etc. I believe every team has these. Probably some QC coach who watches that film and reports on that to the staff. 

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

If playing with Josh couldn't get him going and motivated don't know what Burrow can do.

No hate on Burrow, maybe their TE depth is seriously lacking.

It is, they lost their starting TE last year in free agency and replaced him with Hayden Hurst. 

2 hours ago, Commish said:

So, if he signs with the Bengals, does that affect the Bill's cap hit?

The correct answer is "perhaps", it depends upon the language in his contract with the Bills.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Nope he got paid to be in Bills training campand nothing can change that.
and he'll make more getting paid somewhere else

He will get paid more due to per-game salary.  But, unless he had "no offset" language in his contract, anything he gets paid by the Bengals will reduce the amount he is paid by the Bills.

1 hour ago, BlazinBill said:

Almost certain I heard on WGR yesterday that based off contract structure if he was picked up by another team we would get cap relief from his hit- may e I misheard?

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I heard this, too. I think Sal said it, but not 100%.

Then hopefully this is the case.  "Offset language" prevents a guy with guaranteed money from double-dipping on salary

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.