Matt Barkley...Keep on the Roster

Wizard

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ā 

Ā 

He's not a good backup QB option. Ā  Ā The people pondering whether he is as good as Keenum clearly don't follow the rest of the NFL because Barkley is flat-out terrible and Keenum can actually play QB in the NFL. Ā  Ā It's not close.

Ā 

He can be a cheerleader on the practice squad or he can bounce around between teams again.

I guess you forgot how he helped dismantle the Fish 2 years ago when they were fighting for a playoff spot? The guy can play. Heā€™s probably not better than Keenum but to call him flat out terrible is wrong.Ā 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Keenum didn't show as a better option than Barkley.Ā  I just love the fact that he was willing to do whatever including punting during the preseason because it was needed.

And we canā€™t have him on the PS because ???Ā 

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Barkley might be the worst qb in the nfl. Really nice guy and the best part of last game was him punting. But he is horrible. Nice guy though.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

He's not as horribleas some here have said. If he were, there wouldn't be a spot for him in the NFL, on a roster or a practice squad. And there obviously is, as he's building a pretty long career.

Ā 

He had a nice game for us against the Jets a few years ago and subbed in in 2019 and arguably out-performed Josh in that game, three INTS for Josh against one for Barkley. Against NE, was it?

Ā 

You don't want him starting. But you can say the same about every 3rd string QB, nearly all of the 2nd stringers and a bunch of the 1st stringers around the league.

Ā 

Keenum has clearly been better.

Ā 

But as a great locker room guy, you get the benefit of that by giving him a practice squad spot. I don't agree with the OP.

10 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Ā 

Is there?Ā  From what I can tell his entire contract this year ($3.5 million is guaranteed) and he's off the books after this year.

Ā 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/case-keenum-10079/

Ā 

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Ā 

All of his guaranteed money was cleared when he was traded.Ā  He has no dead cap hit right now.

His salary will guarantee after the cutdown.

Ā 

Not that I want the Bills to cut him.

Ā 

Ā 

That's interesting.

Ā 

OverTheCap and Spotrac have quite different details for Keenum's contract. Spotrac lists the Browns contract as his latest, with no money guaranteed, and OverTheCap says the Bills signed him to a new contract. "Following a trade to the Bills, Case Keenum agreed to a new contract worth $3.5 million according to ESPN's Field Yates." They list $2M as guaranteed.

Ā 

Wonder which is true.

Ā 

Both have his salary at $3.5M, but the guarantees are quite different.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Keenum didn't show as a better option than Barkley.Ā  I just love the fact that he was willing to do whatever including punting during the preseason because it was needed.

When will he ever be asked to punt again? It was cool of him to punt,but that doesnt make him a better QUARTERBACK.

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Just keep him as punter. Let him focus on punting, then if you need an emergency QB, he's available. Knock on wood.

I assume you are kidding but I admire his effort.Ā 

16 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Ā 

In the 1st and 3rd games Keenum played with our 2nd string against the other teams 1st - 2nd string.Ā  In the one game where he played with our starters he looked good.Ā  Aside from that, Keenum and Barkley both have large books of work (including training camp this year) that indicate Keenum is the better option.Ā  There's also a salary cap / financial implication to cutting Keenum.Ā  Keenum's gonna be the backup, with Barkley on the practice squad.

Ā 

It isĀ 

Ā 

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=nfl+practice+squad+salary

Ā 

Practice Squad minimum salary:Ā $9,200 per week or $165,600 for 18 weeks.

Practice squad salary for veterans with 2+ years of experience: Approximately $14,000 per week or $252,000 for 18 weeks.

And,I thought teams are allowed to pay MORE than the PS minimum.

16 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Ā 

Ā Yes he would have to be given quite the offer to leave the Bills imho.Ā  He and his family likely were thrilled to return to the area and the team.Ā  Barkley has earned a decent amount in his time in nfl so money alone likely isn't gonna entice him and his skillset is not a starting qb really or he'd already have secured a spot with the utter lack of qb talent that was in the NFL when he got drafted.Ā  That low level of talent for starting qb has risen somewhat but still not sufficient to fill the backup and vet roles in wb rooms with options better than Barkley.Ā  He's also likely on a team friendly salary.

Ā 

Ā  I also believe there is nothing preventing a team of giving some sort of signing bonus to a player they put on the PS.Ā  So Bills could send a lil bonus his way to offset the money differences.

I don't know about "practice squad bonuses "....the minimum PS salary for a veteran is $207,000. It counts against the cap. However, I think a team can pay whatever they want which is attractive to the players and might scare off a team thinking about poaching a player from a PS.

2 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I don't understand all the hate towards Barkley.Ā 

Ā 

I believe he's only started 2 games for the Bills and in one of them he was super impressive.Ā 

Ā 

Shouldn't you at least give the guy a chance to play in more games before you bash him?Ā 

No hate, just realism. Heā€™s a liability athletically. In real games against starters ( most teams anyway) the Bills have a better chance with Keenum.Ā 

Ā 

I believe he's only started 2 games for the Bills and in one of them he was super impressive.Ā 

Ā 

Shouldn't you at least give the guy a chance to play in more games before you bash him?Ā 

No hate. I think heā€™s a great guy to have around the team. Ā If he ever had to play Iā€™d be very worried

Ā 

Beane knows this too. Thereā€™s a reason they went after Trubisky and Keenum the last few years

18 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Barkley might be the worst qb in the nfl. Really nice guy and the best part of last game was him punting. But he is horrible. Nice guy though.Ā 

He is nowhere close to the worst in the NFL, but yes, he would be a low end #2 QB.

Ā 

Ā 

I think you should trust the coaches and Beane. They clearly wanted and upgrade at backup QB and were willing to let him walk. They brought him back to be a camp QB and soon to be practice squad QB. That should tell you what they think of him. They love him for the locker room, but don't want him to be the first guy off the bench if Josh goes down. And that's ok.

18 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Helped set the league record for number of Matts to punt for one team in a single preseason. Unlikely to ever be broken.Ā 

I had thought about the Matt "syndrome" but didn't want to go there, yet. Thanks for breaking the ice šŸ§Š!

When Barkley goes to the PS he will then be part of the QB room, he doesnā€™t need to be on the 53 to do that. Ā 
Ā 

if the sh-t hits the fan he can be called up to playā€¦,Ā 

Edited by Don Otreply

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

Pre-season Statistics

Ā 

Barkley: 34/45, 76%, 389 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT

Keenum: 35/49, 71%, 314 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT

Ā 

Ā 

Keenum has 78 TD and 48 INT in his career for a 2.2% INT and an 86 QB rating

Barkley 11 TD 22 INT with 6.7% INT and 66 QB rating

Ā 

These players are not comparable.

13 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

I guess you forgot how he helped dismantle the Fish 2 years ago when they were fighting for a playoff spot? The guy can play. Heā€™s probably not better than Keenum but to call him flat out terrible is wrong.Ā 

Ā 

11 TD 22 INT......66 rating......in the NFL today that is about as terrible as it gets and still be getting chances to be an emergency QB or a #2 after a team has injuries at the position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ā 

Ā 

Thank you.Ā  I believe you're aware of the following, but to the OP you responded to what follows below needs saying:

Ā 

The only reason Barkley vs Keenum is a question, is because Keenum had a rough outing in the first preseason game behind a jailbreak OL throwing to second and third string WR who were possibly not where they were supposed to be, when they were supposed to be there.Ā  Plus, it may have been a "progress check" where he realized he wasn't as fully versed in how to run the offense against totally different defensive looks, as he thought he was.

Ā 

During the 2nd preseason game when playing behind the 1s or a mix of 1s and 2s,Ā  Keenum looked like what he is - a fully functional NFL QB who does not quite have the physical tools to start in the league.

Ā 

He is the backup, and he knows he is the backup.Ā  He indirectly said that in his post-game presser, explaining how important the game is to the players who were "playing for a job" and explaining "he's been there".Ā  Note the tense, he's not there now, and he knows it.

Ā 

Preseason stats are meaningless.Ā  If they meant something, Peterman would be proudly starting at QB for the Bills.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

11 TD 22 INT......66 rating......in the NFL today that is about as terrible as it gets and still be getting chances to be an emergency QB or a #2 after a team has injuries at the position.

Iā€™m looking at his time with the Bills. I donā€™t care what he did over his career with other teams. As a back up heā€™s been solid here. Thatā€™s all you can ask for.Ā 

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That's interesting.

Ā 

OverTheCap and Spotrac have quite different details for Keenum's contract. Spotrac lists the Browns contract as his latest, with no money guaranteed, and OverTheCap says the Bills signed him to a new contract. "Following a trade to the Bills, Case Keenum agreed to a new contract worth $3.5 million according to ESPN's Field Yates." They list $2M as guaranteed.

Ā 

Wonder which is true.

Ā 

Both have his salary at $3.5M, but the guarantees are quite different.

Ā 

Thanks.Ā  One thing we all have to accept is these sites do the best they can for us fans but the official stuff is only known by the teams/NFL.

Ā 

33 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Ā 

A little, but not much - maximum I believe for 2022 is about 20k per week - still a 600k pay cut from being on the roster.

Ā 

It seems so.Ā  There was more tweaking of the PS in the last year and it does sound like there is a maximum now.

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

Ā 

A little, but not much - maximum I believe for 2022 is about 20k per week - still a 600k pay cut from being on the roster.

Ā 

Is there a maximum?Ā  Former Bills rb Jonathon Williams got 510K to sign with the Broncos p.s. after he was cut by the Bills.

Ā 

Unless the rules, changed, I think the maximum is whatever the team is willing to pay, though I agree that the Bills won't give Barkley much more than the minimum allowed.

Ā 

Edited by Billy Claude

4 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Ā 

Is there a maximum?Ā  Former Bills rb Jonathon Williams got 510K to sign with the Broncos p.s. after he was cut by the Bills.

Ā 

Unless the rules, changed, I think the maximum is whatever the team is willing to pay, though I agree that the Bills won't give Barkley much more than the minimum allowed.

Ā 

Ā 

From what I have been reading it seems they changed that rule in the last year to set a vet maximum.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Ā 

Ok.Ā  Thanks, didn't know about the rule change.

Ā 

Ā 

The article was just updated today (it corrected the number of PS to 16 this year) and was originally wrote this spring.

It seems it finally gives all the details for this year's PS rules and salaries.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-2022/xfsq4rhj3ro6sdw8p4y6hzia

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Anyone remember the last time a QB3 threw a pass for the Bills?Ā  I don't.

Ā 

(Please, no Nate Peterman jokes)

Ā 

Ā 

Four QBs (including Peterman) threw passes for the Bills in games in 2018: Allen, Peterman, Derek Anderson and Barkley.

Ā 

Three in 2017: Tyrod, Peterman and Joe Webb.

Ā 

Three in 2016: Tyrod, Manuel and Cardale Jones. That's about as far as I was interested enough to go.

Ā 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Vomit 1

23 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Four QBs (including Peterman) threw passes for the Bills in games in 2018: Allen, Peterman, Derek Anderson and Barkley.

Ā 

Three in 2017: Tyrod, Peterman and Joe Webb.

Ā 

Three in 2016: Tyrod, Manuel and Cardale Jones. That's about as far as I was interested enough to go.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I totally forgot about Derek Anderson..............like that he even existed.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Barkley sample size is so small that all this actually tells you in reality is that Keenum has gotten opportunities that Barkley has not

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-2022/xfsq4rhj3ro6sdw8p4y6hzia

Ā 

$19,900 max salary (weekly x18) this year

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.