Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

Ok. Fair statement. But could it be said that he does this by choice because he knows it would make him a quick buck? Just a general question. 

My initial thought was similar, what a sleaze. Then found out that he reps woman in the adult entertainment industry who are often prayed upon...

Repping sexual assault victims is his area of practice. I don't think it's fair to call him an ambulance chaser any more than any other type of civil attorney. 

4 minutes ago, DRsGhost said:

Wait, are you a biologist? Because I'm told that these terms are difficult to define these days.

:lol:

I'm a Heathen.  Watch the video.  Heh. 🕷️ 💖.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Like I said, “according to some in this thread.” Point is, it’s not up to the victim to drop anything police or the DA may be pursuing relative to bringing criminal charges. 

Agreed.  And I believe you know this, but the civil suit may be filed whether or not criminal charges are being pursued.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

He admitted to having sex with the girl.   He didn’t say anything about being part of the assault, which happened after the fact.  

According to the plaintiff’s lawyer only at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

My initial thought was similar, what a sleaze. Then found out that he reps woman in the adult entertainment industry who are often prayed upon...

Repping sexual assault victims is his area of practice. I don't think it's fair to call him an ambulance chaser any more than any other type of civil attorney. 

His responsibility is to his client. No question. I just see his tactics as below ground and unethical. What he's doing is something I don't see in my fringe legal followings on TV. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

According to the plaintiff’s lawyer only at this point.

Araiza's lawyer basically confirmed that Matt had what they consider consensual, non-forceful sex with her. 

Just now, mob16151 said:

How many pages before this thread sets a record as TBD's longest ever.

1 Billion pages!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Matt was forecast to be an nfl draft pick based on the results around the time shortly after this incident occured.  Police would be notified by the hospital after the rape kit was done.

Was it released that she went to the hospital before the police?

Btw. A note. If a woman is ever raped she should go to the hospital first. They will alert the police and experts advise this method for better justice results. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Victim has not dropped the "criminal pursuit".  DA states that charges are still under consideration.

I suspect you're correct that the DA is hesitant because the evidence is considered questionable or incomplete.

If the DA has dna from the rape, thry likely would have obtained samp,es and did tests finding matches.

if they don’t have dna as evidence, and her known to be passed out/ drunk, they will need situation evidence of who went in the room with her.

thry likely told them they did not have an evidence based case on Matt unless someone cam forward and says he was there…of which sworn statements by some  said he wasn’t even at the house.

he gets cut she and the lawyer can be sued for ruining his career.

Just now, Motorin' said:

Araiza's lawyer basically confirmed that Matt had what they consider consensual, non-forceful sex with her. 

I haven’t seen that, but I’ll take your word for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

If you think that highly of their judgement, you may pause to think they believe his involvement actually is at the lower end of the possibilities, and that they have access to more than you or I do. 

just another consideration of how you can frame things all sorts of ways.

They do have more access. The NFL and teams hire LEO professionals to vet all their players pre draft. Pat MacAfee said as much the other day and flat out said “they knew”. 

Rob Maadi asked 5 FO’s. 3 said they didn’t know. 2 said they did. The two that didn’t said it didn’t effect their draft status because they weren’t going to draft a punter anyways. 

Are we supposed to believe that the people who weren’t drafting a punter had access. But the team that drafted him didn’t? 

I don’t buy it. For years we’ve heard stories of prospects talk about how surprised they were at what teams knew about them in their pre draft interviews. 

The Bills knew. If they didn’t know, they didn’t do their due diligence. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Which is a crime.

It's technically a crime because California's law is weird.  Nobody (I think) has any actual objection to a 21 year old hooking up with a 17 year old.  That sort of relationship would be legal in most states, including New York.  My own daughter was 17 not that long ago.  If she had a consensual hook up with a college guy, I wouldn't have been happy about it or anything, but it wouldn't occur to me to want the guy prosecuted.  Age of consent in my state is 16 so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I don't want the Bills disciplining a player, employee, volunteer, intern, or anybody else just because they technically broke a law in some other state that doesn't make any moral sense to begin with.  Let's stick to the "drugging her drink" and "setting her up to get raped" part -- that's what's important here.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Mango said:

They do have more access. The NFL and teams hire LEO professionals to vet all their players pre draft. Pat MacAfee said as much the other day and flat out said “they knew”. 

Rob Maadi asked 5 FO’s. 3 said they didn’t know. 2 said they did. The two that didn’t said it didn’t effect their draft status because they weren’t going to draft a punter anyways. 

Are we supposed to believe that people that people who weren’t drafting a punter had access. But the team that drafted him didn’t? 

I don’t buy it. For years we’ve heard stories of prospects talk about how surprised they were at what teams knew about them in their pre draft interviews. 

A guy with the hype he had would have been drafted higher if there were no red flags. Teams knew.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I mean I'm no expert but I have to believe there's a reason Araiza's criminal defense attorney believes his client is facing no charges at all, while the circumstances are different for at least one of the other accused. 

If the purported tape of him admitting to sex with her isn't admissible in court, that would be a big reason. 

California is a 2 party state

that means both sides must allow their recording. If one did not then it is inadmissible in criminal/ civil court.

him having sex with her….let’s assume it’s true….it’s not an illegal act if he thought she was 18 and sober.  It becomes a he said/ she said.

we do not know if he ebpven was the voice being recorded.  Has anyone e er answered your phone or talked on your phone?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's not in CA. And even if it's legal, it's ***** gross. Wooderson wasn't a character you should aspire to be.

"This is slighly skeevy" is not a reason to release a player.

When people focus on this particular aspect of the story, it tells me that they made up their mind 48 hours ago and are now just looking for reasons to support the conclusion that they lept to.  If this entire story was just "Matt Araiza hooked up with a 17 year old when he was in college," it would not be a story.

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Was it released that she went to the hospital before the police?

Btw. A note. If a woman is ever raped she should go to the hospital first. They will alert the police and experts advise this method for better justice results. 

She went to get a rape kit done within 48 hours of the incident.

i do not know if she went to the police first.  some stories say she did then the told her to get a rape kit done. If a rape kit is done at a hospital they are required to notify the police. Then the police would follow up with her after notification of the rape kit.

Come on, Pegula… Step up… Your franchise is in crisis… and your Pegula Sports crisis management team is abysmal… You need to assure the team, the community, and your fellow owners you have some plan… So far, you are failing the test of leadership…

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

Originally, practice was going to be at 3 and McDermott was going to speak before Practice.

Then they said Practice was going to be moved to 4 bc they got in late and McDermott would still speak before Practice.

Then they said Practice would be at 4, but McDermott would now speak post Practice.

I think this speaks volumes that they're trying to get all their ducks in a row before McDermott speaks again. Which is sad because he should just be focusing on Practice and Beane should be speaking.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Come on, Pegula… Step up… Your franchise is in crisis… and your Pegula Sports crisis management team is abysmal… You need to assure the team, the community, and your fellow owners you have some plan… So far, you are failing the test of leadership…

There’s not much any of them can say. They can’t give any info of what they know right now. The only statement to make really is if they decide to cut him 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Am I really comparing gang rape to murder? Yes, yes I am. I think it's worse, and I'll die on that hill.

Is this trolling, I’m old and not even sure I know what trolling is, but are their other people here who share the opinion that ending a woman’s life isn’t as bad as sexually assaulting them ?

4 hours ago, mannc said:

What is your basis for this statement? Just curious…did he say that?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/27/bills-investigation-of-matt-araiza-didnt-include-information-from-alleged-victims-perspective/

Attorney Dan Gilleon said that he informed team counsel Kathryn D’Angelo regarding the situation in late July.

“She seemed like she was concerned,” Gilleon told the AP. “She says she’ll get back to me, and then she never did. I even followed up and said, ‘Hey, you guys haven’t talked to me and called me back like you said you would.’ And they just ignored that, too.”

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Are we supposed to believe that people that people who weren’t drafting a punter had access. But the team that drafted him didn’t? 

I've been rolling this around in my brain. 

It's not just the LEOs, but the team's area scouts and scouting assistants talk to coaches, athletic trainers, teammates, roommates - all trying to get a sense of what the player is like, because success in the NFL these days is at least as much about willingness to focus and work hard and avoid distractions as it is about physical talent.  They also as I understand it, try to have younger assistants who are closer to college age hang out in college bars and just "shoot the *****" to see what comes up.

So the Bills could have known about it (since other teams did) and arguably should have known about it.  But did they know?

I think part of what is eating at McDermott right now is that they honestly didn't - or at least, knew part of it but not all.  Perhaps Araiza told them there was an incident involving sex with a young woman who said she was a college student, but turned out to be under 18.  Perhaps Araisa did not tell them that the same young woman alleges she was gang raped later that night at the same party.  Perhaps he did not disclose this, even when he read the 3 June LA Times article that spurred him to hire a defense attorney.

I think, in hindsight, part of what Beane was reflecting over "we have to review our procedures" for drafting players, when he traded Cody Ford, may have been some procedural gap or judgement call on the part of the area scout about what to write up on a 6th round prospect, which either failed to include this information or failed to uncover it.

2 minutes ago, julian said:

Is this trolling, I’m old and not even sure I know what trolling is, but are their other people here who share the opinion that ending a woman’s life isn’t as bad as sexually assaulting them ?

I'm not trolling, but don't recontextualize my statement. There's no need for less accurate descriptions.

Edited by BullBuchanan

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

There’s not much any of them can say. They can’t give any info of what they know right now. The only statement to make really is if they decide to cut him 

Yup.  Can’t imagine “We’ve done an investigation and currently believe Matt Araiza when he says he is innocent of these accusations” will go over well.  

Because that’s all they could say if they aren’t cutting him.  Due to this being an ongoing lawsuit, they can’t exactly trot out a lawyer to start giving an opening statement outlining why they feel that way.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If he's still on the roster as practice starts that tells me they aren't cutting him. I'm really interested to see what the Bills say. If they're still sticking with him they must have pretty strong evidence that he had nothing to do with the alleged rape.

• Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

If he's still on the roster as practice starts that tells me they aren't cutting him. I'm really interested to see what the Bills say. If they're still sticking with him they must have pretty strong evidence that he had nothing to do with the alleged rape.

With the current timing of things I honestly don't expect them to cut him separately from the rest of the final cutdowns.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Captain Caveman said:

With the current timing of things I honestly don't expect them to cut him separately from the rest of the final cutdowns.

Plus he is a punter, though he is a rookie there's not much he has to be ready for. I could see them giving him personal time off and not having him at practice for the distraction alone.

3 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

That’s pretty vague.  It shows that the Bills did in fact speak to her lawyer.  It’s safe to say her lawyer told them plenty about the allegations…he doesn’t say that he made his client available to them and he doesn’t say what he would have told the team if they called back that he didn’t tell them initially. I think you’re putting too much faith in the word of the esteemed Mr Gilleon.

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

There’s not much any of them can say

Agree… But as owner, he should be visible, and like McD, express empathy for all involved… and his confidence in the ongoing internal investigation and upcoming decision process… Doubt Jerry Jones would be hiding… Unimpressed…

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Given all the attention around Araiza's spot on the roster I think it is only fair that the Bills make an exception to this rule. The fans deserve to know what's going on.

If he is practicing, or not, just opens things up to even more rumors and questions before mcd speaks