What to do at CB?

GreggTX

8 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Haha!  Yeah I thought about that but after that first year as  white started  because our talent level was no where close to what it is now , rookies seem to have had a harder time getting on the field for consistent periods of time. Maybe with our depth being so bad at cb now , a guy drafted at 25 could be a starter. I guess it just depends how the draft goes and if someone drops.   Of course, with the success of Brown , it is proof a good rookie can earn starting time , but it sure took a while for it to happen and it took losing games,  an abysmal run game m and injuries for Brown to get his shot. 

You are right of course, as white started after being drafted at 25 , but it’s a different Mcd now , a different roster , and I am not totally sure Mcd will start a rookie full time at CB. He sure likes his vets.  Tre was drafted at a different time , expectations were much lower and Mcd had all the time he needed to allow development as he wasn’t expected to make the playoffs.  None of that is true now and the expectations are much higher from Mcd and the team is expected to compete for the SB    I think only time will tell if he will actually give a rookie a starting position with a lot more on the line now. He may have his hands tied tho and be forced to because of the situation so I guess a cb drafted at 25 could start for us , but  I still would bet Mcd gives a vet every chance  to start over a rookie.

Hey , if Sauce drops to 25 or one of the top 5 cbs is still there , maybe they could crack the starting line up.   Like I stated tho , I think that’s very UNUSUAL  to land a PLUG IN READY ( based on mcds RECENT ROOKIE use )  cb drafting that low who they will actually start, and with Mcd I will believe it when I see it. 😀. White has been a great pic and I think that much talent is hard , not impossible , but difficult to find at 25  ( after all he turned out to be a pro bowl caliber guy ) so like I said , that’s rare,  wouldn’t you agree ?    I don’t think anything I said was off base that much as we have seen rookies have a much harder time cracking the line up now as it’s a much more talented roster compared to when Tre was drafted.   Good point about Tre tho ! 😊

Didn’t Rousseau start as a rookie? I thought he did. Either way, your right, McDermott generally takes it slow with rookies. However, with our cb depth being what it is, whatever rookie cb we draft will be battling in camp for a starting spot. We’ll have Dane, vet fa, and rookie cb (plus I’m sure another vet or late round rookie)  competing for two starting spots week 1. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I am still all in on Donte Jackson. It is a great fit. But I am guessing his cost has to come down. He is coming off an injury, but I like his speed and fit. 

If they plan of drafting one early, I am not opposed to a vet like Peterson. In fact he gave a great interview on NFL network the other day. I never loved Joe Haden. 

Kyle Fuller is a great fit. Good zone corner who is very physical. He is coming off a bad year, but I think our defense accentuates his positives and he is only 30. 

Nate Hairston and Rasul Douglas were guys they showed a ton of interest in pre-draft. 

My #1 target would be Jackson, followed very closely by Kyle Fuller. 

I like Jackson and Douglas. I am kind of curious if they could nab Douglas for cheap while GB is dealing with their current chaos. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The wrinkle is that the Bills also need a o-guard. I highly doubt they take a g in rd 1 but anywhere thereafter is a possibility. At this point in time I would say g is higher than WR in priority. 

Saffold and Bates would make a nice combo, IMHO...as long as the Vikings don't offer sheet him away from us.

White is a 27-year-old elite athlete working with the best physical therapists and trainers available, not a 40-year-old weekend warrior doing rehab at the local strip mall limited by the number of therapy sessions his insurance plan will allow.

I'd say it's more likely than not that he's going to be ready to go for the season and back to form by October. 

That said, I imagine they'll still add a vet or two for depth and draft a CB in RD 1 who will likely start week 1 (and probably win DROY with this defense). 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We’ve seen how one weak link along the OL can bring the entire unit (and team) to its knees. I agree w brown will be better….I just don’t know when.  Might take another year. Saffold for one year should be great for our run game. 

hopefully Kromer can be the big difference maker and we can keep him for awhile. 

Offseaon ain't over either👍

30 minutes ago, MPL said:

White is a 27-year-old elite athlete working with the best physical therapists and trainers available, not a 40-year-old weekend warrior doing rehab at the local strip mall limited by the number of therapy sessions his insurance plan will allow.

I'd say it's more likely than not that he's going to be ready to go for the season and back to form by October. 

That said, I imagine they'll still add a vet or two for depth and draft a CB in RD 1 who will likely start week 1 (and probably win DROY with this defense). 

LOL

I’m 40, had back surgery and my physical therapy was at a strip mall next to an Advanced Auto Parts and Flooring shop.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I don’t disagree we need to shore up the CB position still, between Free Agency and the Draft.

On the Tre White piece, optimistic scenario is actually that he returns around the end of the preseason.  With that said, I think it is fair to question what his level of play will be when he returns.  One more reason the strengthen the CB depth.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2022/3/2/22958602/tredavious-white-on-schedule-in-return-from-injury

That's weird because I heard some guy in a podcast say 12-14 months. I feel better now. :)

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

CB Andrew Booth (Clemson) to undergo core muscle surgery- Ouch, that was a CB linked to us a few times. 

Wow.  Could push him down….but how long is he out.  Could we afford to draft him if he were to miss most of the season while likely going to miss Tre for part of it?  He’d be a no brainer pick @ 25 if he were healthy. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Wow.  Could push him down….but how long is he out.  Could we afford to draft him if he were to miss most of the season while likely going to miss Tre for part of it?  He’d be a no brainer pick @ 25 if he were healthy. 

It's normally anywhere from 3-12 weeks or longer but depending onb the individual it can really sap the speed, OBJ had it, Clowney, Allen lazard and Ed Oliver.

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

It's normally anywhere from 3-12 weeks or longer but depending onb the individual it can really sap the speed, OBJ had it, Clowney, Allen lazard and Ed Oliver.

Nick Bosa too I believe 

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

The same can be said for every position in the league.  Beane and McD should be talking about building the OL into a beast now that the DL is a beast.   When we lost last season, it was usually due to terrible OL play. We shouldn’t be ok with average to below average starters imo.  Not when it come to keeping josh healthy.  Josh so already so hard to sack, put a great line in front of him and we’ll be unstoppable. 

I agree completely. Also, Saffold doesn't suck at pass protection. Bates isn't better at anything. That's ridiculous. Saffold is average there and a mauler in the run game. Brown still has a very long way to go and I wouldn't mind resigning Williams for a year and drafting or signing another OT. If Brown does become worthy of a starting role at some point in the future, someone moves inside. Right now I view Brown as a liability.

12 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I think odds are that the first round pick will be a CB.

Almost HAS to be now.  No other position is as big a hole right now and I don’t think that the draft is deep in outside corners that are ready to play a lot in the league.  Unless they sign a vet that can competently start. I would not wait until pick 57 to pick one and expect him to play a lot this year.

6 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I agree completely. Also, Saffold doesn't suck at pass protection. Bates isn't better at anything. That's ridiculous. Saffold is average there and a mauler in the run game. Brown still has a very long way to go and I wouldn't mind resigning Williams for a year and drafting or signing another OT. If Brown does become worthy of a starting role at some point in the future, someone moves inside. Right now I view Brown as a liability.

Saffold was awful in pass protection the last 2 seasons. He gave up 28 hurries  last year and 10 qb hits. He looked like he was stuck in the mud and Tannehill was sacked 2nd most in the league, partly because Saffold couldn’t stay in front of his man.  

So maybe he’ll be better in our scheme, next to Dawkins and back with Kromer.  But he hasn’t been in average in pass protection the last 2 years.  He’s been poor in that respect.  He a beast run blocker…no doubt.  

agreed about brown.  High upside and athleticism he gets mauled a lot. Needs a lot of work. If bates leaves, we have who on the right side?  Ford and Brown as of now.  Josh probably wouldn’t make it through the season if that were the case.  

We don't know at this point how many cap dollars Beane is willing to throw at the CB position considering he's probably already got some major contract tinkering he's got to do with the signings he's already made.   He may feel limited to a fairly low level signing at CB.  For a player with more ability, they might be limited to a draft pick.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, GreggTX said:

is a former 7th round pick that is well below average for a CB. Jackson has done well just to stick on an NFL roster this long, but do we really want a starting tandem of Neal/Jackson week 1? That thought really scares me. I don't want either of those guys taking even 3% of the defensive snaps.

Huh.  Not NFL roster material?  This is a very slanted opinion and seems to be non sensical.  Maybe he should not be CB2, but, he played great when he played last year.  I think we will sign and/or draft a CB early this year, but, Jackson is in the conversation to start....let alone be on the roster.

I think Round 1 is a strong possibility for a CB.  And since we play zone, we may get the 1st or 2nd best zone CB in the draft.

I also love taking a CB there as we did late in the 1st round with White.  It also syncs up nicely down the road in 5 years when White will be declining.

EDIT - I like Guard, CB2 or Breece Hall (RB)late in the 1st.  Maybe WR.  Depending who is there and BPA at these positions I like CB2 and Breece Hall

Edited by Manther
Adding for draft position options
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Tanoros said:

Your jumping the gun a bit with your worries. FA just started, and not many corners have been signed yet. Additionally, Jackson is going into his 3rd year, after playing nearly half the season last year and not doing bad all. What makes you so worried about him playing, “even 3% of the snaps”? He’s already done more than that and did just fine. 

The Bills will bring in a vet cb or two. Probably a mid priced vet and low priced vet. Additionally they will draft at least one cb maybe two (or UDFA). I’m sure they draft a cb early in the draft and have the drafted cb(s), Jackson, and vet(s) all compete for the two starting spots. Then when Tre is ready to play again, they keep the cb who was playing the best opposite of Tre (assuming Tre is ready to go). 

I wouldn’t be so worried about Jackson though. He showed well enough for a second year, 7th round draft picks. And with the contract Levi got, clearly the Bills aren’t worried about Jackson AND they have a plan. We just have to wait to watch it unfold. 

Agreed

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m wondering if CB is going to be a post draft move. See what they get in the draft 1st.

I’d venture to say that Beane is willing to do this, but in the meantime, business is open if a solid veteran is willing to sign at a fair price beforehand as well.  One thing I love with Beane’s approach is the flexibility his plans allow for.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2022 at 10:09 PM, GreggTX said:

While everyone is talking about RB's and WR's, has anyone noticed that the top CB still standing is a former 7th round pick that is well below average for a CB. Jackson has done well just to stick on an NFL roster this long, but do we really want a starting tandem of Neal/Jackson week 1? That thought really scares me. I don't want either of those guys taking even 3% of the defensive snaps.

I don't know.  The Bills seem to really like Dane Jackson and he played pretty well late last year under difficult circumstances.  They may view Siran Neal more as a special teams player,  but they did just give him a nice contract extension a few weeks ago.  They play pretty conservatively in the defensive backfield and usually give the outside guys safety help.  Plus, this staff has been highly successful at identifying and coaching up later round CBs to play well within this system. If they're confident about Tre White's recovery progress,  they may not view this as being as dire as we might expect.

That's not to say they won't take a CB at 25,  but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait a round or two,  either. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/17/2022 at 11:09 PM, GreggTX said:

While everyone is talking about RB's and WR's, has anyone noticed that the top CB still standing is a former 7th round pick that is well below average for a CB. Jackson has done well just to stick on an NFL roster this long, but do we really want a starting tandem of Neal/Jackson week 1? That thought really scares me. I don't want either of those guys taking even 3% of the defensive snaps.

I'm sure Beane is working on it, but the situation is severe. That would be far and away the worst starting outside CB's  anywhere. Do we draft a CB on day 1? I sure hope so, but that won't be anywhere near enough. We need to address this now. I don't think having 2 rookies starting at outside CB is the answer either. We also don't know when White will be ready, but it will be December at the earliest, I would guess. We also don't know if White will need time to fully recover or IF he will fully recover. I suspect he'll be his old self befotr too long.

Put yourself in Beane's seat. What moves would you be trying to pull off that are realistic? 

I'm looking at the Panthers CB stable and I could see a better CB than Levi shaking loose. Can we afford that? I also like Kyler Gordon, but I don't really follow college football. I know he's scheme versatile and a great tackler. Great short area burst. You thoughts?

First.. I like Dane, and so does McBeane. They both pour the praise on any chance they get, and he played well for us down the stretch.

Second, I'm 100% on team RD1 CB. If we need to adhere to BPA to CB, I'm ok using resources to move up a reasonable amount to get our guy.

Third, I'd like to see us go back to that well again in possibly the 2nd, but def by the 3rd rd. Twice the chance that one of these guys step up. Can never have too many CBs (see tre white injury last year), especially with our base d being nickel.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/19/2022 at 5:57 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m wondering if CB is going to be a post draft move. See what they get in the draft 1st.

I doubt it. They won’t rely on a rookie CB to start on a Super Bowl defense. A veteran FA will be signed before that. If they wait until post draft it will be waiting for June 1, not to see who they get in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I doubt it. They won’t rely on a rookie CB to start on a Super Bowl defense. A veteran FA will be signed before that. If they wait until post draft it will be waiting for June 1, not to see who they get in the draft. 

There’s going to be good veteran CBs signing after the draft. 

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Agreed. They could wait it out , but I think they know they’ll be drafting a CB. Just not going to play much this year . 

They have a plan based on actions. Wallace only has a $2.5 million cap hit this year with Pittsburgh. There’s like 10 CBs available right now that upgrade CB. 

Bills could go CB heavy in the draft. Take 2 in the 1st 3 rounds. All I know is they let Wallace walk cheap early in free agency. They have a plan.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

On 3/18/2022 at 12:10 PM, NewEra said:

Saffold was awful in pass protection the last 2 seasons. He gave up 28 hurries  last year and 10 qb hits. He looked like he was stuck in the mud and Tannehill was sacked 2nd most in the league, partly because Saffold couldn’t stay in front of his man.  

So maybe he’ll be better in our scheme, next to Dawkins and back with Kromer.  But he hasn’t been in average in pass protection the last 2 years.  He’s been poor in that respect.  He a beast run blocker…no doubt.  

agreed about brown.  High upside and athleticism he gets mauled a lot. Needs a lot of work. If bates leaves, we have who on the right side?  Ford and Brown as of now.  Josh probably wouldn’t make it through the season if that were the case.  

How does Saffold compare to what we’ve had at OG? That’s all that matters.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.