Cover 1 Salary Cap Spectacular!

TheyCallMeAndy

14 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

What were their suggestions on the roster based on the cap?

Trying to remember as much as I can but I might miss a few things...

-They left the big potential restructures alone (White, Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde) but available if necessary 

-Talked extension for Morse, Knox, Diggs, and possibly Edmunds to lower cap hit...but were ok leaving Edmunds alone and letting it play out...

-Keep Beasley, but try for a pay cut

-Either cut Klein, Matakevich, or get them to take pay cuts

-Hughes, Addison, Butler gone...

All in all, they ended up with about $28 million in cap space...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

-They left the big potential restructures alone (White, Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde) but available if necessary 

-Talked extension for Morse, Knox, Diggs, and possibly Edmunds to lower cap hit...but were ok leaving Edmunds alone and letting it play out...

$28M can go a long way if structured well.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Many thanks for the summary

Can you remember if they said anything about our FA?  Harrison Phillips, Levi Wallace, Siran Neal (fasted guy on the team), Justin Zimmer, Ryan "Rick" Bates, and Isaiah McKenzie would be a few of interest to me.

54 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I think Jerry stays. Just a gut feeling. And I think he'd stay on a vet minimum with incentives built in. 

I think Jerry is gone unless it is a HUGE pay cut

I was there for the segment.

Two things I think people should brace for

- Players we love are going to be gone...they will be asked to take pay cuts and some will and some wont

- We are not going to be huge players in free agency

- Get ready for the "biuld through the draft model"

One thing I am hoping for is they use youth to fill special teams and stop paying this huge money to special teams players...the way the rules are set up nowadays for ST's really should drive us that direction.   Use that money on important places like Yac monsters, and the lines.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I appreciate the summary from everyone.

I think the most difficult part to project is the progress players like Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, Doyle and Brown will make.  It makes departing with Addison, Hughes much easier, if they make nice leaps.  I think they all will grow and perform better... just a matter of how much.

I agree with needing a playmaker/game changer on offense and IDL and IOL upgrades.

6 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

I appreciate the summary from everyone.

I think the most difficult part to project is the progress players like Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, Doyle and Brown will make.  It makes departing with Addison, Hughes much easier, if they make nice leaps.  I think they all will grow and perform better... just a matter of how much.

I agree with needing a playmaker/game changer on offense and IDL and IOL upgrades.

Calais Campbell is my free agency target for the DL. Similar to other free agent DL they've acquired or tried to acquire in that he's multiple, can play inside and out. Close relationship with Rousseau. He'd be so good for the young DL we have. Plus he's still a very good football player that would add toughness and stoutness upfront.

• Like (+1) 6

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Many thanks for the summary

Can you remember if they said anything about our FA?  Harrison Phillips, Levi Wallace, Siran Neal (fasted guy on the team), Justin Zimmer, Ryan "Rick" Bates, and Isaiah McKenzie would be a few of interest to me.

-Harrison Phillips they sign

-Wallace they let test the market- but are open to bringing him back if nothing materializes (Same for Lil Dirty, I believe)

-Bates’ tender (RFA?) is picked up- don’t remember what level

Im sure I got something wrong...😉

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

-Harrison Phillips they sign

-Wallace they let test the market- but are open to bringing him back if nothing materializes (Same for Lil Dirty, I believe)

-Bates’ tender (RFA?) is picked up- don’t remember what level

Im sure I got something wrong...😉

Thanks.  Something will materialize for Wallace, I'm sure of it.

Remember anything about Justin Zimmer?

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Calais Campbell is my free agency target for the DL. Similar to other free agent DL they've acquired or tried to acquire in that he's multiple, can play inside and out. Close relationship with Rousseau. He'd be so good for the young DL we have. Plus he's still a very good football player that would add toughness and stoutness upfront.

He's been a guy I've penciled in as the 9th DL..........a backup to Phillips and a mid-late round rookie at DT1T and 3T and DE.............and as you said he's a Rousseau fan/supporter.

He'd have to be cheap though.    He's not a playmaker anymore.

2 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I think Jerry stays. Just a gut feeling. And I think he'd stay on a vet minimum with incentives built in. 

He’s lost a step, but I still see him as the best pass rusher on the team this year. 

i wouldn’t be shocked to see him retire, go somewhere else or re sign cheap. He’s made $80 million over his career??!?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I think Jerry is gone unless it is a HUGE pay cut

I was there for the segment.

Two things I think people should brace for

- Players we love are going to be gone...they will be asked to take pay cuts and some will and some wont

- We are not going to be huge players in free agency

- Get ready for the "biuld through the draft model"

One thing I am hoping for is they use youth to fill special teams and stop paying this huge money to special teams players...the way the rules are set up nowadays for ST's really should drive us that direction.   Use that money on important places like Yac monsters, and the lines.

The Bills have always been build through the draft outside of Diggs right?

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Jerry has enough in the tank to be worth keeping, he won't be signing up for vet min.

He pretty well showed there’s nothing left in the tank.  He was a non-factor all year, IDGAF what the “pressure” numbers show, unless it changed something, it’s nothing.   He’s not getting home at all anymore.  He’s no longer faster/stronger and he never had size, it’s time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

40 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He pretty well showed there’s nothing left in the tank.  He was a non-factor all year, IDGAF what the “pressure” numbers show, unless it changed something, it’s nothing.   He’s not getting home at all anymore.  He’s no longer faster/stronger and he never had size, it’s time to move on.

It's never been more the time to move on from Hughes, Addison and Butler. I'd rather spend that money on younger more productive players. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

It was a great show. They took a very realistic approach to the cap and how to make room. 
They didn’t touch White, Dawkins, and a few other guys salaries for now. They left those as “coupons” if they needed an extra move or two to make a trade or pickup in FA that they couldn’t pass on. 
$28 million and they don’t put the team in any serious cap jeopardy. This means that the draft will become that more important. I feel like it’s the opposite of last year where Beane basically said it was going to be difficult for rookies to make the team. This draft they will need to find two immediate starters, interior O or D line and then probably WR 3 or CB 2, and two more rotation guys for next season. With another player who can contribute on special teams and hopefully become a contributor like a S. Neal. Keep the core and then build in the draft. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's never been more the time to move on from Hughes, Addison and Butler. I'd rather spend that money on younger more productive players. 

I would too, but McDermott has a thing about keeping the veterans in each room.  I guess a question is at what point do Harry and Oliver start to count as veterans?  I would not be surprised if he wants to keep Hughes as a veteran leader.

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Long, but a darn good watch/listen for sure.  While they are ultimately just fans like us, they clearly do some homework and have some interesting insight and opinions. 

Yup. 

Saw it a couple of days ago. Great stuff!!

44 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Strong disagree on Hughes. He was easily their best pass rusher. Did a fine job. I'm with the Cover 1 folks, I'd fully expect them to try to tempt him back one more year for another shot at a championship somewhere in the $4M range.

And I hope they get him. He would probably be a major positive factor in the pass rush as he was this year.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 2/14/2022 at 4:34 PM, BuffaloMatt said:

I love jerry Hughes as much as anyone but he’s  done time to move on. 

Edited by 97bills
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Pretty much but every year you have the fans talking about this free agent or that free agent we’re not bringing any of those free agents

Kind  of  depends on what who you are refering to.  The FO did make a big splash just a couple of years ago with Diggs.  And last year certainly seems like they were considering the JJ Watt move, and a little possibility of Ertz.

So, this year, with the subtraction of Sanders, not unreasonable to think a modest investment will be made.  Where to put the $7M in the offense will be interesting.  Could go a reduced Beas price, or Berrrios, or a reduced price McKenzie along w Gronk or Ertz.  I think the odds are they do take a bargain FA RB.  I think it would be a long shot for any substantial investment in RB, but others like the thought of Barkley (and the dream/hope of Toney) or Fournette.

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Pretty much but every year you have the fans talking about this free agent or that free agent we’re not bringing any of those free agents

Imo you are 99% spot on, this year though I could see Beane  doing a Diggs type of deal for an O or D line guy, but this time a 2nd or 3rd round pick type of thing…,  I admit it’s wishful thinking on my behalf…, but it would be nice to add a productive line guy that can step right in and play well. 

Go Bills!!!

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. 

Saw it a couple of days ago. Great stuff!!

Strong disagree on Hughes. He was easily their best pass rusher. Did a fine job. I'm with the Cover 1 folks, I'd fully expect them to try to tempt him back one more year for another shot at a championship somewhere in the $4M range.

And I hope they get him. He would probably be a major positive factor in the pass rush as he was this year.

Hughes has 11 sacks in 3 years and only 18 tackles this year, he has nothing left just because we like a player doesn’t mean we should keep him that’s not how we win a super bowl. We need guys that can get the QB on the ground, and make stops on 3 down. It’s been time to move on,and if he really is our best pass rusher with those 11 sacks in 3 years explains why our front 4 has left a lot to desire. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Imo you are 99% spot on, this year though I could see Beane  doing a Diggs type of deal for an O or D line guy, but this time a 2nd or 3rd round pick type of thing…,  I admit it’s wishful thinking on my behalf…, but it would be nice to add a productive line guy that can step right in and play well. 

Go Bills!!!

It's okay to engage in some wishful thinking.  Last year they did add Sanders, tried for a reasonably priced $12M Watt, and inquired about Ertz.  And that was after Beane said to not expect any moves.

IMO, those needs are still here.  Could be negotiating again w Minn for Hunter, add a Berrios, and get Gronk here on a reasonable deal.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 97bills said:

Hughes has 11 sacks in 3 years and only 18 tackles this year, he has nothing left just because we like a player doesn’t mean we should keep him that’s not how we win a super bowl. We need guys that can get the QB on the ground, and make stops on 3 down. It’s been time to move on,and if he really is our best pass rusher with those 11 sacks in 3 years explains why our front 4 has left a lot to desire. 

He has a ton left. He hasn't gotten a lot of sacks but his pressure rate is still quite high. Yes, sacks are better. Still, pressures screw up offensive plays, and Hughes gets a lot of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

It's okay to engage in some wishful thinking.  Last year they did add Sanders, tried for a reasonably priced $12M Watt, and inquired about Ertz.  And that was after Beane said to not expect any moves.

IMO, those needs are still here.  Could be negotiating again w Minn for Hunter, add a Berrios, and get Gronk here on a reasonable deal.

Beane already came out and said they’re going to look to add some guys. So they’ll probably pick up a few average starters and rotation players. What they really need is elite talent on defense and the OLine, though. 

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

"And"? 

No. I mean, maybe one.

You point out that they added Sanders, tried for Watt and inquired about Ertz. But they didn't bring in Watt or Ertz, and money was the reason. They brought in Sanders only.

Cover 1 had 'em with about $10M after making space and then bringing back the guys they wanted. With the coupons still available. So if they think Hunter's health is something they can deal with, I wouldn't be surprised to see them cash in a coupon for a guy like him. But all three? Pretty unlikely, IMO. Guess we'll see. Berrios seems to me like a possibility. He wouldn't cost a lot and he can return kicks besides being a solid slot.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

t's never been more the time to move on from Hughes, Addison and Butler. I'd rather spend that money on younger more productive players. 

Younger players whom (outside of Oliver) haven't proved sheet. Anyone who thinks that Hughes - Addison - Butler can just be replaced by Rousseau - Basham - Epenesa is crazy. The Bills aren't the Jets, they are looking to win the SB next year. Hughes and Addison were by far the most impactful players on the D-Line. Without them (Or signed FA equivalents) Bills go backward on defense, and struggle to win the East.     

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would too, but McDermott has a thing about keeping the veterans in each room.  I guess a question is at what point do Harry and Oliver start to count as veterans?  I would not be surprised if he wants to keep Hughes as a veteran leader.

I agree that Oliver and Phillips are very close to that veteran status. With Jerry and Mario, what you gain in veteran leadership you lose in production. Jerry had 2 sacks this regular season.  As much as he's meant to this team, he's done. 

Thanks for posting OP, I think what the Cover 1 crew posts is great and thoughtful content across the board. Also like Parrino/Talbot’s Shout podcast, & the Buffalo Plus content with Catalana et al., fwiw. It’s pretty neat having so many resources as Bills fans at our fingertips for content compared with what was available during our last SB window run in the 90’s…

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Jerry has enough in the tank to be worth keeping, he won't be signing up for vet min.

Yup, no way. He'd see that offer as a sign of disrespect.

Here's what they said on Cover 1, at about the 2:16 mark. (They had Tompsett play Beane, as Tompsett is the cap experts - and he really does know his cap stuff inside and out - and the others presented to him what they should do with each guy.)

First, Romeo, and Pro-Ant recommended keeping Hughes and there was no real disagreement.

Tompsett:  There's a couple that we want to go through. I think they keep Ike Boettger and Justin Zimmer, but not on a tender, they just come back as a minimum contract, probably the same thing with Jake Kumerow, is the kind of guy who would come back on a minimum deal. They will have to tender Ryan Bates, and that will cost us $2.4, so that one does count some of the cap space. ... I do think they will need to be able to keep him. So that brings us down to $13.8 without anything for Jerry Hughes.

And if they keep Jerry Hughes it would be right around, to be conservative it's going to be right around that $3.8 million number.

So you're probably talking, if we re-sign Harrison Phillips for about a three-year $15 to $18 million deal, we re-sign a starting cornerback for around $6M, we'll say it's Levi Wallace, we tender Ryan Bates, we keep Justin Zimmer, Ike Boettger, Terrell Dodson and we bring back Jerry Hughes on a very reasonable deal just to be there as the rotational guy. And we keep Siran Neal, I also had him as a guy we would keep at that same kind of slightly above minimum, we're probably walking in with $10M.

And from then on they seem to use $10M as their best guess, so I think they're keeping Hughes.

This is after they cut some guys and told some others that if they want to stay they have to take a cut, originally clearing $28M.

This was a fascinating discussion. I listened to every minute and learned a lot. Not that everyone has to agree, but they put up reasonable thoughtful guesses across the board.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

In total, they’re cutting Star, Klein, Haak & Ford and letting a few players (McKettrick) test FA, giving us around $9M after rookie contracts. Definitely on the conservative side as the FO can do other things if they want to. 

Any talk of a new contract/extension for Diggs or Knox?  Those would be my first two priorities.  Knox value could explode after next season while Diggs deserves a pay raise.  Maybe tie some financial incentives based on team production into both their contracts.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.