If Someone Was Attempting to Break into Your House What is the First Thing You Would Grab?

T&C

I have a 9mm... and I know how to get to it fast but I'd grab 2 cans of hornet/wasp spray. Fairly cheap but very effective... shoots over 20'. The reason for 2 is that if one fails you have a backup, although they rarely fail. I'm not in a bad area at all but a story I read made me aware of this. Bear spray is expensive and could probably cause harm to yourself... the bouncers at bars use this one if it gets too crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Process said:

I can't imagine finding someone trying to break into my home and grabbing wasp spray. Sounds like a good way to get yourself killed. 

Ever had it sprayed on your face/eyes? It will ***** you up immediately... 

Edited by T&C

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m afraid my wasp and bear spray is not in my night stand. Apparently I have failed to properly prepare.  🤷‍♂️

How about your Glock or Beretta?   🤣

Personally, I would rush to the kitchen and grab an 8" chef's knife.

Why would I reach for this?

B/C that's what everyone reaches for in every movie I've ever seen.

6 hours ago, Process said:

I can't imagine finding someone trying to break into my home and grabbing wasp spray. Sounds like a good way to get yourself killed. 

Actually, the good way to get yourself killed in this scenario is to own and reach for your 9mm as the OP mentioned.  

Statistically speaking anyway.  

I own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended.

Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" I shout as I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle.

Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot.

Draw my pistol and fire at the second man. Miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nail the neighbor's dog instead.

I have to resort to my cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grapeshot. "Tally ho, lads!" The grapeshot shreds two men in the blast. The sound and extra shrapnel set off every car alarm in the neighborhood.

Fix bayonet and charge the final terrified rapscallion. He bleeds out waiting for the police to arrive as triangle-shaped wounds are difficult to stitch up.

Just as the founding fathers intended.

• Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, T&C said:

I have a 9mm... and I know how to get to it fast but I'd grab 2 cans of hornet/wasp spray. Fairly cheap but very effective... shoots over 20'. The reason for 2 is that if one fails you have a backup, although they rarely fail. I'm not in a bad area at all but a story I read made me aware of this. Bear spray is expensive and could probably cause harm to yourself... the bouncers at bars use this one if it gets too crazy. 

I've been thinking about this. Don't have a gun, not sure I would be able to use one if I did. Thanks for the idea.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m afraid my wasp and bear spray is not in my night stand. Apparently I have failed to properly prepare.  🤷‍♂️

They weren't on mine 15 minutes ago, the wasp spray is now!

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Actually, the good way to get yourself killed in this scenario is to own and reach for your 9mm as the OP mentioned.  

Statistically speaking anyway.  

This is actually incorrect. While defensive gun use is relatively uncommon it is highly effective when used.

https://www.nap.edu/read/18319/chapter/3#15

A different issue is whether defensive uses of guns, however numerous or rare they may be, are effective in preventing injury to the gun-wielding crime victim. Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was “used” by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies (Kleck, 1988; Kleck and DeLone, 1993; Southwick, 2000; Tark and Kleck, 2004). Effectiveness of defensive tactics, however, is likely to vary across types of victims, types of offenders, and circumstances of the crime, so further research is needed both to explore these contingencies and to confirm or discount earlier findings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeviF said:

Draw my pistol and fire at the second man. Miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nail the neighbor's dog instead.

So you use the break-in as an excuse to kill the neighbor's dog whose barking has been annoying you.

Interesting.

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

Burglars would be very upset to break into my house only to find me running at them naked with a Louisville Slugger

So that is your nickname for it. Interesting.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I live right down the road from the police station. So I would grab my phone and call 911 ASAP. Cops would be at my house in about 20 seconds and maybe sooner.

Lol not in Buffalo. I was on the phone with a friend in depew when I found someone breaking into one of my apartments near Grant and Amherst in black rock. I hung up with him and called the cops who were right around the corner on hertel. Couple mins later my friend shows up. Couple hours later the cops showed up who didn't believe it was my house. Fun night. 

• Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Lol not in Buffalo. I was on the phone with a friend in depew when I found someone breaking into one of my apartments near Grant and Amherst in black rock. I hung up with him and called the cops who were right around the corner on hertel. Couple mins later my friend shows up. Couple hours later the cops showed up who didn't believe it was my house. Fun night. 

That's terrible. You would think the cops would respond a lot faster than a couple of hours later.

20 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The one time I had someone come to my house annoyed and drunk I picked up the chain saw I had been using for cutting limbs that day and started it.

I then asked "Was my limb cutting bothering you?"

His response was "Wrong house" before stumbling down stairs and leaving.

You bring your chainsaw inside the house after using it?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

You bring your chainsaw inside the house after using it?

On the day in question it was hot & humid so I brought it inside to clean it.

I also have an electric staple gun in house as well and several other tools.

There is a chain saw in living room right now although it is in a box and is the lighter electric one my wife uses.

The gas powered one is in garage right now since I have not used it since last weekend.

13 hours ago, T&C said:

Do you also have a lighter because that might scare the ***** out of some would be burglars.....though you might also burn your house down.

41 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Most likely they will just wait till you're not home, then break in... Steal your weapons too. 

😏

It's not a deterrent gun ownership... Actually, it's the opposite. 😕 😞 

If they manage to cut out the concrete in my basement and haul out the safe they've earned it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There is a chain saw in living room right now although it is in a box and is the lighter electric one my wife uses.

The gas powered one is in garage right now since I have not used it since last weekend.

It is important to have properly sized chainsaws for all members of the family

20 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It is important to have properly sized chainsaws for all members of the family

I suppose so but I never looked at it that way.  We have different ones for different tasks and some tasks I am better at and some my wife is.

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Gotta wake the Eagle...

image.png.c0880e2c3a468316025fea3757fdf163.png

I was SURE you were a Patriot supporter not an Eagle.

image.png.f02670fb504396649f682d392611e737.png

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LeviF said:

Burglars would be very upset to break into my house only to find me running at them naked with a Louisville Slugger

Rumor is this is normal activity at your house …. All in the name of “adult fun”

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Am I allowed to say, you live in an odd household? I would hate to have the mods after me  :D

16 hours ago, T&C said:

I have a 9mm...

9mm is nothing to brag about.  Most girls aren't impressed even by 9cm.

As for what to grab? 🤔

The family jewels? 

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Do you also have a lighter because that might scare the ***** out of some would be burglars.....though you might also burn your house down.

Jet spray 'Gumout' carburetor cleaner used to do that impressively, too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.