Cap Confusion?

NakedSquid

I just looked at the list of expiring contracts and there's more than $30 million in expiring contracts, but all reports say that we're up against the cap for next year is that because next year's contracts are being boosted by that much?  I know Allen is going up a bunch... Can anyone explain.  Thanks 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-free-agency-buffalo-bills-jerry-hughes-harrison-phillips/

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Cap Confusion?
3 minutes ago, NakedSquid said:

I just looked at the list of expiring contracts and there's more than $30 million in expiring contracts, but all reports say that we're up against the cap for next year is that because next year's contracts are being boosted by that much?  I know Allen is going up a bunch... Can anyone explain.  Thanks 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-free-agency-buffalo-bills-jerry-hughes-harrison-phillips/

Best place to see the details… 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NakedSquid said:

Expiring contracts don't count against the cap as basially those players are all due zero in 2022.  The only way the team saves money against next years cap is to either cut a player under contract assuming the dead cap hit isn't larger than the actual cap hit. This past season Star fit into that situation, would have basically cost as much to cut him as keep him.  The other way to save money is to re-do, extend, reduce existing contracts with the players approval.

But to answer your question, ignore expiring contracts WRT the 2022 cap.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Definitely got to trim the fat off the top, the first 4 on the Spotrac site is $35 mil alone and not nearly worth that to keep around

TF are you talking about?  Sort by cap hit.  The top 4 on the list are $63.3M

There is no fat to trim off Stefon Diggs or Tredavious White

Josh Allen admits he could lose a few pounds

Very few football knowledgeable people would assert those three aren't worth it to keep around.  Josh Allen's full salary hasn't hit yet, Diggs is underpaid relative to vet WR with similar production, and Tre White is paid like a top-5 CB - which he is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I could see D. Williams restructure.

Mongo, Star, Klein, and Beasley face a ‘restructure or release’ scenario. 

I know the team is only around 9 million right now, but they can open it up to ~25 if need be. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Very few football knowledgeable people would assert those three aren't worth it to keep around.  Josh Allen's full salary hasn't hit yet, Diggs is underpaid relative to vet WR with similar production, and Tre White is paid like a top-5 CB - which he is.

I think he was being sarcastic…?

• Like (+1) 1

D line under contract is very underwhelming after Ed. 

You’ve got a very expensive Star, and then very unproven Gregory, AJ, Boogie and Mike Love…. 

They really need a home run this draft. 

A lot of high priced average talent on this roster at this point. 

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had to assume sarcasm on that one..

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Expiring contracts don't count against the cap as basially those players are all due zero in 2022.  The only way the team saves money against next years cap is to either cut a player under contract assuming the dead cap hit isn't larger than the actual cap hit. This past season Star fit into that situation, would have basically cost as much to cut him as keep him.  The other way to save money is to re-do, extend, reduce existing contracts with the players approval.

But to answer your question, ignore expiring contracts WRT the 2022 cap.

his point was if 30M comes off the books, whose cap hits are suddenly backfilling that from our existing roster in next years calculation. 

IE generally he expected to see $30m to play with but guys are instead just costing more 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I could see D. Williams restructure.

Mongo, Star, Klein, and Beasley face a ‘restructure or release’ scenario. 

I know the team is only around 9 million right now, but they can open it up to ~25 if need be. 

I think he was being sarcastic…?

The Bills are currently over the cap -$1.3M.

They can push some money out to next year BUT Josh Allen's cap hit goes up $24M to $39M next season.

17 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

his point was if 30M comes off the books, whose cap hits are suddenly backfilling that from our existing roster in next years calculation. 

IE generally he expected to see $30m to play with but guys are instead just costing more 

Some cap hit increases:
- Edmunds went up almost $9M

- Allen up about $6M

- Diggs up about $11.5M - note that the Bills paid him a large portion of his 2011 salary as a signing bonus to create space last year. 
- Sanders and Addison have dead cap of about $3.4M total due to voidable years. 

I just got started and there’s about $30M right there. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NakedSquid said:

The Bills can free up a lot of space restructuring contracts and they have the option to cut Beasley and Mongo. If they cut those two players and restructure Josh, Diggs, Milano, Tre, Dawkins, Hyde and D.Williams they will have about 36 million in cap space and another 3 million if they want to restructure Star but that would make Star harder to cut in 2023 so pick your poison on that one. Given how the Bills restructured many contracts last off-season I will not be shocked to see them do the same this off-season. 

With about 36-39 million to work with the Bills will easily have enough space to resign many of their own free agents but likely not enough to go "big name" hunting in free agency either. Expect the off-season to look similar to 2021 where the team's biggest acquisition (Sanders) was a mid-level acquisition and the rest of the moves were mainly to resign the team's current talent. The draft will likely be where "upgrades" happen. 

• Agree 1

I’d trade or cut Edmunds, keep Klien and draft a replacement.  Use savings for a true pass rusher.   

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills can free up a lot of space restructuring contracts and they have the option to cut Beasley and Mongo. If they cut those two players and restructure Josh, Diggs, Milano, Tre, Dawkins, Hyde and D.Williams they will have about 36 million in cap space and another 3 million if they want to restructure Star but that would make Star harder to cut in 2023 so pick your poison on that one. Given how the Bills restructured many contracts last off-season I will not be shocked to see them do the same this off-season. 

With about 36-39 million to work with the Bills will easily have enough space to resign many of their own free agents but likely not enough to go "big name" hunting in free agency either. Expect the off-season to look similar to 2021 where the team's biggest acquisition (Sanders) was a mid-level acquisition and the rest of the moves were mainly to resign the team's current talent. The draft will likely be where "upgrades" happen. 

I’m not as big in keeping some of our guys, and we have not received many “upgrades” in the past few drafts.   Hopefully we get a Chandler Jones or some impact front 7 in FA.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Some cap hit increases:
- Edmunds went up almost $9M

- Allen up about $6M

- Diggs up about $11.5M - note that the Bills paid him a large portion of his 2011 salary as a signing bonus to create space last year. 
- Sanders and Addison have dead cap of about $3.4M total due to voidable years. 

I just got started and there’s about $30M right there. 

Yeppers.  I guess this is as good as any place to congratulate Devin Singletary and Dawson Knox on their bumps in pay in

accordance with the NFL Proven Performance Bonus escalators.  They both got over $1M in 2022 raises!

OTC has great details on the program.

https://overthecap.com/proven-performance-escalator/

• Like (+1) 1

These are the must haves and I expect Beane is working on it:

Diggs restrux/extension - $6M savings 

White restrux - $7M savings  

Dawkins restrux - $5M savings

Those are the big ones. More can be picked up restrux even Milano, Hyde, Williams, Star, Allen

Add in releasing Beasley, Klein, Mata and Ford.

We now have $50M in Cap Space...

Big problem this year, two years of pandemic cap.  We dont have much rollover money $2 millionish, and the cap this year is low 208.2 given the current player salaries.   Going to have to move on from guys like Feliciano, Beasley, and Starr- and then you have a major decision to make with Levi Wallace as his market value should be a little north of $8 million a year.  

Management really needs to decide if they are going to stick to their mantra of rewarding players already in the building with contracts for hard work and good play.  Wallace, and Phillips have really earned extensions, but that's probably around $14 million for two guys who are are just good players, not world beaters.   Truth is you need guys like that, but it could come at the cost of spending money on a really nice pass rusher like Chandler Jones.  

• Like (+1) 1

There was almost no turnover on the roster last year.  I expect a decent amount this year.  I could see Beasley, Feliciano, and Star get let go.  Can’t see Beane spending much to bring any of our Free Agents back.  And Edmunds is getting too expensive for what he brings.  Same with Williams, but I’d rather over-pay to protect Josh than over-pay for a MLB who’s always in the right spot but doesn’t make any game changing plays.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Oh the old let’s release good players so we have cap room to sign overpriced free agents just so we can crowd… love this time of year 

LOL yes, like the swallows returning to Capistrano.

Also, it's time for a call to Beane to restructure every high dollar contract!

Beane restructured 3 contracts last year (Diggs, White and Poyer) which was out of character and did free up $17M.

He also asked for 3 players (Addison, Butler and Morse) to take pay cuts to the tune of $7M.

I see a lot of work Beane and his minions need to do but history shows me there will be a lot of pissed off fans on this board during FA.

Here are some facts if anyone wants to see Beane's restructures.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/buffalo-bills/restructure/

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I’d trade or cut Edmunds, keep Klien and draft a replacement.  Use savings for a true pass rusher.   

I’m not as big in keeping some of our guys, and we have not received many “upgrades” in the past few drafts.   Hopefully we get a Chandler Jones or some impact front 7 in FA.  

Since 2019 the Bills have drafted Ed Oliver, Knox, Singletary, Gabe Davis, Bass, Dane Jackson, Groot, and Spencer Brown. That's a lot of impact in the past three draft classes and there are still a lot of players that can develop like Boogie who flashed his rookie season, Moss who played well at times and AJ who has not had an easy transition into the NFL. I wouldn't knock the Bills drafting ability. Even on the D-line where many think this team hasn't developed players in the past few years this team has Ed Oliver and Phillips who are really good players and they got a solid rookie season out of Groot while Boogie flashed as a rookie on a crowded D-line. 

There are a lot of internal free agents I would let go or only resign on the cheap. But with only about 36 million in space resigning a few key players will eat up a nice chunk of that and take the Bills out of range for a large signing. For example looking at the Bills list of free agents below I am comfortable letting everyone go except H.Phillips, Mac, T.Jones (for special teams), Levi Wallace and either Hughes or Addison on a lower end deal if possible. I also want to keep Bates and Zimmer in the fold as restricted free agents and would offer Neal a one year deal and Ike a camp tryout contract. Guys like Efe, Butler, Mitch (would love to have him back but not at what it would cost), Sanders, Addison or Hughes (can't have both back), and Bredia I can live without but there are several key starters that need to be brought back or replaced. That's going to eat up a nice chunk of the limited cap space this team will have. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

Diggs. White and Dawkins are obvious restructure candidates.

I don’t believe the Bills will see Edmunds as part of their future based at what his market rate most likely will fetch combined with our cap situation.  I think it’s very possible the Bills will look to trade Edmunds for a 2nd rounder.   

The Bills may ask Klein for a pay cut and have him be the interim replacement until they find one via the draft.   

I think Addison, Hughes, Wallace, Butler and McKenzie are gone.

I think Beasley stays, he is most likely a lot more valued from the Bills brass than half the fans are.  Aside from Gabe Davis,  Beasley the only other receiver that had a pretty good game.  

Phillips will be retained.   The young DE’s in Epenesa, Rousseau and Basham will be counted on to perform.

I do believe that Beane will get a marquee DE via trade or FA.  Marquee meaning proven pass rusher.

I think the Bills may look to move on from Star and count on Zimmer and what I think will be an early round DT to replace Star and Butler.

• Like (+1) 1

Which is why this year was so important to make the Super Bowl while Josh was still under his rookie deal. Being up against the cap & Josh being awesome will be the norm for a while. Hopefully soft defense that cant tackle and horrible coaching decisions wont be

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Star's contract is still brutal...

No real savings to cut him. 9 mil if he plays 7 mil if he's gone. 

Luckily he can be restructured to lower his hit or they can cut him next season when he will only be about 2.5 million dead cap. It's not the best contract although I still think he is a productive player just not worth his cap hit. 

2 hours ago, NakedSquid said:

Paid - Milano, allen, white, Dawkins, Hyde, poyer. Edmunds is on an expensive 5th year option. Williams Morse Feliciano have decent contracts as well. 

52 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Oh the old let’s release good players so we have cap room to sign overpriced free agents just so we can crowd… love this time of year 

Not quite the situation we are in.  We need to clear space to make room to:

- get back under the salary cap while we are under the Rule of 51

- sign our draft class

- re-sign or replace some starters/key backups (Wallace, Phillips, Trubisky)

- eventually fit all 53 active roster players plus a full practice squad plus replacement players for IRed players under the cap.

There’s work to be done just to tread water. 

• Agree 1

It's not worth worrying about the Salary Cap. Even if it's to have a budget in mind when thinking about FAs. If there is someone out there Beane wants, he'll figure out a way to make it work. Like when he went after JJ Watt last year, that would not have been a cheap signing and we were already up against the cap.

Fans shouldnt get too bogged down in cap space

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Not quite the situation we are in.  We need to clear space to make room to:

- get back under the salary cap while we are under the Rule of 51

- sign our draft class

- re-sign or replace some starters/key backups (Wallace, Phillips, Trubisky)

- eventually fit all 53 active roster players plus a full practice squad plus replacement players for IRed players under the cap.

There’s work to be done just to tread water. 

There's work but its not that hard to me.  You can add a void year to beasley and star's deals to lower the cap charges.  Milanos 7.5M base salary can be pushed.  Same with Morse's 6.9M (could extend or tack on a void year), and Dawkins 8.1.  Diggs is probably nearing an extension - added years means lowering the 12.5 base salary he has.  Mongo, Matakevich, Klein cuts would get them under.  Williams or Morse could also be released for significant savings.  

Edmunds extension would considerably lower the cap charge, but I'm reluctant to pay him what he probably wants.  I'd look in early rounds for a suitable replacement and develop them in the year with the expectation that edmunds walks in 2023.  

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

There's work but its not that hard to me.  You can add a void year to beasley and star's deals to lower the cap charges.  Milanos 7.5M base salary can be pushed.  Same with Morse's 6.9M (could extend or tack on a void year), and Dawkins 8.1.  Diggs is probably nearing an extension - added years means lowering the 12.5 base salary he has.  Mongo, Matakevich, Klein cuts would get them under.  Williams or Morse could also be released for significant savings.  

Edmunds extension would considerably lower the cap charge, but I'm reluctant to pay him what he probably wants.  I'd look in early rounds for a suitable replacement and develop them in the year with the expectation that edmunds walks in 2023.  

Agreed.  Edmunds is the only difficult decision.  I’d offer him a Milano contract.  In the likely event he turns it down, I start shopping him.  If I get a 2nd rounder or better, I trade him.  If not, let him play out his 5th year option.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

If you say so, wasn't very clear if that was what he was asking IMO 👍

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

You eat Edmunds whole year if you cut or trade him

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.