Free Agents - who do you like?

Desert Bills Fan

5 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Looking at UFAs, as of right now. 
some of my rational:

- area where Bills could use an upgrade.

- under 30 years old

- producing at a high level. 
- not the highest priced.

- good availability (or have a reason why an oft injured or contract year wonder would be a good idea) 

RB: Leonard Fornette from TB. Formidable weapon running and catching. 

CB: JC Jackson from NE. Active. Lots of tackles and 8 interceptions.

Inside LB: Kwon Alexander from NO. Good at rushing the QB too.

I want Gesicki him and Knox in two TE sets money  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Maybe should have started with the list of Bills UFAs -  and that the top 5 salaries, I am assuming, will not be back (Hughes, Addison, Butler, Sanders, Trubisky)

- we have a ton of young DLs so not seeing any big FA signings there.

- we probably need a Sanders replacement WR although Davis is now the #2 guy…. and several good candidates at reasonable costs were mentioned in the responses to the OP. I would look hard at resigning lil dirty McKenzie…

- I think we need a kick a$$ running back and while Singletary is OK, we need another good one - as this position has so many injuries.

-and a CB who could be our #1 for reasons like, what if Tre is not ready , or has lost a step, or we invest in an upgrade from Wallace.

- I don’t know about signing a guard. The last couple games the Oline was good. Boettger the FA we sign?

3 hours ago, finn said:

Cordarelle Patterson alone may be enough. Suddenly you have speed on offensive and another weapon for Allen. Draft a corner and a guard, sign your own free agents, and you're good to go. 

If McKenzie leaves all of a sudden Patterson will become a necessity. This will all depend on cap variables and who leaves or is cut. Cordarrelle is high on my list.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Here’s the thing. We’re probably at most getting one big ticket guy. Probably none tbh. 

Guys with reasonable contracts I like are:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (backup QB)

Cordarelle Patterson RB

Jerick McKinnon RB

Zach Pascal WR

Jamison Crowder WR

Robert Tonyan TE

Ben Jones Center

Mark Glowinski OG

Derek Barnett DE

Larry Ogunjobi DT

Love Glowinski and Patterson. Sign them, have a solid draft, get Tre back healthy and we are in business. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MWK said:

Christian Kirk (LOVE HIM)

Melvin Gordon-to pair with singletary

Chase Edmonds

Cordarrelle Patterson

Jamison Crowder

Michael Gallup

DJ Chark

Byron Pringle

Chandler Jones(Unrealistic but a dream)

Von Miller (Also unrealistic)

Larry Ogunjobi

Austin Corbett

Mark Glowinski

Andrew Norwell

Melvin Ingram

Steven Nelson

Bryce Callahan

Zach Ertz

Mo Alie Cox

Will we get any of these guys, who knows. But I’d love to actually sign a FA other than Emmanuel Sanders this year. And please let Wallace walk.

Is Ertz a free agent, if so id be all over that, JJ Watt too if hes available.

19 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If McKenzie leaves all of a sudden Patterson will become a necessity. This will all depend on cap variables and who leaves or is cut. Cordarrelle is high on my list.

Love Patterson have always wanted him here but he hasn't been much of a WR, but we could get some runs out of him.

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Here’s the thing. We’re probably at most getting one big ticket guy. Probably none tbh. 

Guys with reasonable contracts I like are:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (backup QB)

Cordarelle Patterson RB

Jerick McKinnon RB

Zach Pascal WR

Jamison Crowder WR

Robert Tonyan TE

Ben Jones Center

Mark Glowinski OG

Derek Barnett DE

Larry Ogunjobi DT

Fitz would probably pay the Bills to come back.

27 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Love Patterson have always wanted him here but he hasn't been much of a WR, but we could get some runs out of him.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I too love the skill set Patterson would bring. Gives you a great kick and punt returner, a starter at RB if needed, and a phenomenal third down back. Plus he can always play WR too. With a full off-season of working the position, I’d trust him to pull it off. I’d be thrilled to bring this guy in. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tortured Soul said:

I know Jones is from Rochester. Does anyone know if he's still connected to the area/would see this as an opportunity to win a Superbowl with his hometown team?

honest question having not seen Arizona play all year.

Is Chandler Jones that good? He had 10.5 sacks, but 5 were in the first week of the season. I’m sure where to find pressures and such. 

Guard

Lake Tomlinson (LG, SF)

James Daniels (RG, CHI)

Connor Williams (LG, DAL)

Austin Corbett (LG, LAR)

Alex Cappa (RG, TV)

Mark Glowinski (RG, IND)

Tight End #2

Mo Alie-Cox (IND)

Chris Herndon (MIN)

Running Back

Rashaad Penny (SEA)

Chase Edmonds (ARI)

James Conner (ARI)

Marlon Mack (IND)

Jerick McKinnon (KC)

Wide Receiver

Cedrick Wilson (DAL)
Christian Kirk (ARI)
Braxton Berrios (NYJ)

Edge

Chandler Jones (ARI)
Von Miller (LAR)
Melvin Ingram (KC)

Defensive Tackle

Horrible Harry

F. Fatukasi (NYJ)

Tim Settle (WFT)
B.J. Hill (CIN)

D.J. Jones (SF)

Cornerback

Casey Heyward (LV)

Charvarius Ward (KC)

Donte Jackson (CAR)

Steven Nelson (PHI)

Affordability was a priority with the exception of Chandler jones

Edited by gobills404

What I would like to see

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Contract changes

• Have Cole take a pay cut or just cut him (I like Cole a lot, but his price is too high for the production, could save 6.1 M by cutting him)
  • Have Klein take a pay cut or just cut him (I think he is replaceable and you could save over $5 mil by cutting him)
  • Have Feliciano take a pay cut or just cut him (He is a good backup .. like his toughness, but can save 3.5 million by cutting him and the line looked better without him)
  • Cut Tyler Matakavich. save 2.5 million (doesn't add enough to justify keeping him)
  • Cut Cody Ford. Save 1.5 M.
  • Cut Matt Haack if another viable punter comes up.
  • Extend Diggs (22.2 M est.), Knox (8.3 M est.) - negative hit to the salary cap
  • Note: Star not included because almost all of his salary has been guaranteed at this point)

Resignings (estimates are based off of a few different web-sites .. so just guesses)

• Harrison Phillips (5.4 M est.)
  • Justin Zimmer
  • Ryan Bates
  • Jerry Hughes (3.3M est.), Levi Wallace (9.6 M est.), Efe Obada, Ike Boettger, Tyler Dodson, and Siran Neal if their respective prices do not get too high

Others I would like to see them add

• DE Shaq Lawson - The current coaches got the best out of him. 1 year prove it deal
  • TE Mo Alie-Cox (7 M est.) or O.J. Howard (2.2 M est.)
  • RB Rashad Penny or RB/KR Cordarelle Patterson (6 M est.) - elite kick returner, can handle the Isaiah gadget plays
  • S Terrell Edmunds
  • WR Laquon Treadwell - I thought very highly of him coming out of college  and he never put it together. Would be cheap.
  • CB Donte Jackson (10 M est.)

Given they are not flush with cash, the best thing to do is see who gets cut by other teams that will want to do a prove it deal later in free agency (e.g., Trubisky)

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Tortured Soul said:

I know Jones is from Rochester. Does anyone know if he's still connected to the area/would see this as an opportunity to win a Superbowl with his hometown team?

https://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4736445/football-journey-chandler-jones

While he was born in Rochester, he grew up in Endicott, NY.

And the Jaguars were his favorite team growing up.

Some relatively under-the-radar guys (aka not going for the top 20ish free agents) that I like:

• Michael Gallup, WR
  • Cedrick Wilson, WR
  • Marques Valdes-Scantling, WR
  • Chase Edmonds, RB
  • Maxx Williams, TE
  • OJ Howard, TE
7 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

honest question having not seen Arizona play all year.

Is Chandler Jones that good? He had 10.5 sacks, but 5 were in the first week of the season. I’m sure where to find pressures and such. 

He was #8 in pass rush grade on PFF this year, though his run defense woes brought his overall grade down to #40. They'd have to do their homework on him but he's as good a pass rusher as we could really hope to add this offseason.

14 hours ago, MWK said:

Christian Kirk (LOVE HIM)

Melvin Gordon-to pair with singletary

Chase Edmonds

Cordarrelle Patterson

Jamison Crowder

Michael Gallup

DJ Chark

Byron Pringle

Chandler Jones(Unrealistic but a dream)

Von Miller (Also unrealistic)

Larry Ogunjobi

Austin Corbett

Mark Glowinski

Andrew Norwell

Melvin Ingram

Steven Nelson

Bryce Callahan

Zach Ertz

Mo Alie Cox

Will we get any of these guys, who knows. But I’d love to actually sign a FA other than Emmanuel Sanders this year. And please let Wallace walk.

Why is Von Miller unrealistic? We know that Brandon Beane was trying to trade for him before the Rams beat him to the deal. We know that Beane places a (borderline irrational) premium on pass rushers. We know that DL draft picks outside the top 20 can’t be expected to contribute much during their first 2 or so years. And we know that the pass rush was wildly inconsistent this season and was a major reason why the Bills aren’t still playing football games.

Von Miller’s projected annual salary is $10-11 million, according to Spotrac, which is about the salary cap equivalent of cutting Jon Feliciano and AJ Klein.

32 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Why is Von Miller unrealistic? We know that Brandon Beane was trying to trade for him before the Rams beat him to the deal. We know that Beane places a (borderline irrational) premium on pass rushers. We know that DL draft picks outside the top 20 can’t be expected to contribute much during their first 2 or so years. And we know that the pass rush was wildly inconsistent this season and was a major reason why the Bills aren’t still playing football games.

Von Miller’s projected annual salary is $10-11 million, according to Spotrac, which is about the salary cap equivalent of cutting Jon Feliciano and AJ Klein.

Didn't realize his projected salary was so low, although I am afraid that they'll keep bums like Feliciano and Klein because they like them for some reason. And I think there is a solid chance that he goes back to the Rams. But I would love to get him. 

• Agree 1

I think many posters will be really disappointed (again) this offseason, esp. those who expect some big name signing.

I am no cap expert and I am be missing something but I've made some calculations yesterday and I'd be really surprised if we make some big moves. Yes you can do magic with the cap if you want to kick the can down the road, but Beane doesn't seem like an all in guy. Thus I expect maybe 2 big restructures but nothing more extraordinary. I am working with Sportrac data so feel free to correct me.

My main idea is that we will bolster IOL no matter what so I expect big FA signing there.

Right now Sportrac says we are 1.3M over the cap. Let's assume Morse retires (7,6M savings), we cut Beasley (6.1M), Klein (5,2), Sweeney (1M) and all fringe/PS players who are counted now (except let's say Hodgins, Stevenson and Cam Lewis), plus we restructure Diggs (6M) and White (6,5M). That leaves us with 35 players signed and 38,5M cap space.

Then let's say we sign Brandon Scherff (8M cap hit - I guess he will command 11AAV but I'll only state only first year cap hit), Bates (3,5M), Phillips (4M), Zimmer (1,5M), Dodson (0,9M), Hughes (or similar vet, 2,5M), QB FA (3M), RB FA (1M), TE FA (2,5M), WR FA (3M), cheap DE FA (1,5), T.Jones (or similar 1M) and 6 draft picks (WR, IOL, CB, TE, LB, DE - together 7,3M). I count 6 rookies since it is unlikely that more will make the team. That is together almost 40M.

You just need to fill the roster somehow. So I'd say top OL FA and thats it. Maybe you can save money here and there (Star, Feliciano) and take more expensive WR or CB or something but I really doubt we will be able to make a big splash for top CB or top DE. Or maybe we could but at the expense of top OL which I think should be a priority.

Also, as follows from the above, I would be shocked if we keep Beasley or Klein, unless they take significant pay cuts.

Finally, looking at our cap situation going forward, I think we need to get rid of Edmunds. I actually like him, and I think this defense will be much worse without him (unless we get some stud somehow), but I don't see how we can also pay him going forward, together with Allen, White, Diggs, Milano, Johnson, Oliver and Knox (and I'd pay the last two). So he is the odd man out in my book. Therefore, I'd really consider trading him now if there is a potential suitor. I doubt Bills see it this way though. If they do, I'd trade him, draft LB high (rounds 1-3) instead of CB and sign more expensive CB FA.

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He would be our Deebo. Running backs hit the wall early, but he's a human Swiss Army knife. 

15 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

What's the infatuation with OJ Howard? I'll take Gronk over him. Chark and Gallup only. Draft a RB over listed group

No infatuation - he's a realistic option with our budget as a #2 TE.

Gronk is not a realistic option.

IMO

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Chark is ripe to go to a 1/2 year deal to get to better situation for lesser than mkt value.  

Pump up the stats in this offense

Then go get your WR1 deal

Not a great year to try and break the bank when you're up against Adams, Godwin, JuJu, etc.

The Bills have the appeal (for offensive stats) that the Pats used to have for ring-seekers.

Ehh, I’m not big on half year deals, very hard to make them work.

14 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Is Ertz a free agent, if so id be all over that, JJ Watt too if hes available.

I could see Patterson becoming the new Ertz here.

And by the way, I don't know if I put too much into this, but I think I saw Bryant Johnson at the airport yesterday, but I can't be sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, gordong said:

can we PLEASE get a pass rusher...  PLEASE.  LIKe a real Pass rusher...  I dont care how much it costs...cut someone cut 2 people... we need a freaking pass rusher..  Sorry but Hughes, Addison are not the answer. 

The cap will make it challenging to add an impact pass rusher this off season. 

Guys like Chandler Jones and Von Miller will likely get other offers that the Bills won't be able to match or top.

On 1/30/2022 at 5:16 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

Looking at UFAs, as of right now. 
some of my rational:

- area where Bills could use an upgrade.

- under 30 years old

- producing at a high level. 
- not the highest priced.

- good availability (or have a reason why an oft injured or contract year wonder would be a good idea) 

RB: Leonard Fornette from TB. Formidable weapon running and catching. 

CB: JC Jackson from NE. Active. Lots of tackles and 8 interceptions.

Inside LB: Kwon Alexander from NO. Good at rushing the QB too.

I’m gonna keep it simple and cheap although I love you list. 

Get me 3 guys 

RB- Rashaad Penny - This kid got the goods and is finally healthy. Penny will pick apart those 6 man boxes we see on a consistent basis . I can see him getting 1500 total yds easy with us as a featured back and I can’t see him getting more then 3mil per yr on the open market with his injury history. Penny would be absolutely huge for our offense and would finally fill the need for an explosive game changer back along side Joshy .

Wr- Will Fuller - Another 1yr deal for cheap with massive upside . Line up Fuller next to Diggs and Gabe and u have an explosive Wr trio that rival any in the the league. Remember Fuller is 1yr removed from having over 1100yds for the Texans . I believe the Bills will get this kid healthy with our top trainers and facilities.

DT/DE - Akiem Hicks- This massive man can take over a game at any moment.  Hicks is an older version of Chris Jones if anyone has watched the Bears play over these last couple of yrs they probably seen Hicks make explosive plays for the Bears front line. The Bills should sign Hicks and give him a 40% snap share until we reach the playoffs then unleash him once we get there. Hicks and Oliver would create havoc on passing downs and if we can swing a trade for a DE like Mack or Hunter all of a sudden our front 4 can be one of the best in the league. Hicks also would bring a key leadership role to the Bills front 7 especially if we don’t bring back Hughes or Addison. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/31/2022 at 1:09 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

DE Melvin Ingram KC

G Matt Glowinski IND

Return Cordarrelle Paterson ATL

LB Leighton Vander Esch DAL

TE Mike Gesicki MIA

DT Justin Ellis BAL

WR Braxton Berrios NYJ

I did not realize Berrios is a UFA, he was an absolute weapon for the Jets at the end of the year, would love to get him. 

Would also love Cordarrelle Paterson. Would be nice to have him returning kicks too. 

Also can’t see us grabbing any RBs like Fournette or Gordon, Beane knows not to pay veteran RBs. I’d predict we draft one. 

Fournette also wins the award for most productive player who looks absolutely terrible on the field, I don’t think his career is going to age well. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2022 at 7:23 AM, finn said:

He would be our Deebo. Running backs hit the wall early, but he's a human Swiss Army knife. 

And when Deebo comes up as a FA, I target him too.  Realistically cap wise, if we have close to 25M to spend after cuts, I'd spend it on Scherff & Patterson. Those 2 are all we can afford. Especially if McKenzie leaves and we cut Stevenson?

Edited by LABILLBACKER

22 hours ago, gordong said:

can we PLEASE get a pass rusher...  PLEASE.  LIKe a real Pass rusher...  I dont care how much it costs...cut someone cut 2 people... we need a freaking pass rusher..  Sorry but Hughes, Addison are not the answer. 

I totally agree but the only guy I like is Chandler Jones and he's 32. We're probably going to have to keep drafting pass rushers till one pops.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

And when Deebo comes up as a FA, I target him too.  Realistically cap wise, if we have close to 25M to spend after cuts, I'd spend it on Scherff & Patterson. Those 2 are all we can afford. Especially if McKenzie leaves and we cut Stevenson?

Deebo will be franchise tagged don’t even waste time hoping to get him.

Agree with others....the #1 target in FA should be Cordarelle Patterson. Not even close.

1. Would have said OL earlier in year but the last 4 + 2 games the OL figured out their s#$t and proved they have talent and can compete. Draft and incremental improvements through competition;
  2. Need better pass rush. Bona fide, proven pass rusher rare commodity and $$$$. Need to coach up watcha got;
  3. DBs - no one player is going to catch T.Hill on that route. Never going to stop Hill - just scheme to limit him. Always need more DBs but not in FA;
  4. LBs, WRs - stand pat. We're good

Cordarelle Patterson is an offensive difference maker. Like him, I also LOVED watching Deebo. To call them "gadget players" is a disservice to them. They are football players. Line up wherever you tell them, get them the ball, let them do damage.

Cordarelle Patterson can be a:

• bruising big back (like we desperately need);
  • dual-threat runner / pass catcher in the RPO;
  • KR;
  • WR - although taking reps away from our already more skilled WRs.

Hard to find this value in any other one player in FA

Edited by InTheBuffAllTheTime

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.