Hitting Me Tough Again Today - What Could Have Been

BuffaloBaumer

I am not sure what is going on as I really thought I was through the tough stretch of emotions. Knowing that KC is hosting in 2 days is just gutting me again. I know it's all been said but these 13 seconds just won't go away. I know that we should all be happy that Allen is our QB (and that is an understatement because he's the best player in the NFL) but it still doesn't help that what ifs. Who would have ever thought Rogers would win 1 SB over all these years? I am just going to bullet point the pain and then hopefully I can move on from this nightmare:

3 just brainless plays had to happen in order to lose that game. Just avoid ONE moronic playcall and the Bills are playing on Sunday

Buffalo had the healthiest roster they could ever want heading into the Championship

Allen was literally playing the best football anyone has ever see in the history of the playoffs

All the QBs who were going to be obstacles were knocked out of the playoffs and we were 13 seconds from achieving the ultimate KO in KC

Watching all the highlights all week long and enjoying all the hype was torn away (too painful to watch). The Allen hype would have been just bliss

I had friends and family flying in from all over the country and the tailgate being prepared would have been 1 for the ages 

Being at the game knowing that if they win, Super Bowl celebration would have been a memory of all memories

The 2 weeks of joy leading up to the Super Bowl watching every possible clip you could find on TV/radio, etc..

The mood of the city if they had won this weekend....I wanted it so badly for everyone

They will have more chances but will they ever have a better chance? I don't think so.....players and coaches leaving, health, AFC only getting stronger and stronger

Thanks for the therapy session as I really hope there are some responses to get me past this feeling. Never did I think it could be worse than wide right....and it is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Look how close Rousseau was to getting an INT.

45A7F13D-A1AE-464D-A27D-4A4F0646EB33.jpeg.90116680b4f84a629b2c8269defa3b68.jpeg

He wasn't close. Mahomes threw the ball under his arms. People are so use to Mahomes doing unbelievable things that they just don't react to it anymore. He has a 400 yard 4 TD game and everyone is like yeah whatever...

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 3

I posted this in another thread, might be more appropriate here. 

The off season is summed up for me as follows:

I'm sick for Josh Allen, who was perfect in two games.  He could not possibly play any better.. and he goes home.

I'm sick for Gabe Davis, who could not properly enjoy his career night in the playoffs.

I'm sick for us fans,  who once again have to be gracious losers of a historic game that will be brought up for generations to come.

I'm sick that another fanbase is gifted a W.  One that they likely felt entitled to

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I am right there with you. Frustrating as hell. I know its only sports and in the big picture its not that important but this loss will sting all the way till next season.

Yup, there is just something worse about the coaches letting the team down than a player making a mistake. There was just ZERO reason to have this happen and it will never make sense as to what they could have been thinking. I truly believe that SOMEONE thought during the flurry of 24 points in 2 minutes (2 point and 1 point conversions) that they were up by 4 and not 3. nothing else makes sense, NOTHING.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Greg S said:

That photo is extremely deceptive.

He never had any chance of a pick on that play; it was one of the sickest throws you will ever see from a QB at any level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaahhhhhhh. . .. . .. ..  . Nope. Didn't help.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm in full rationalization mode - but I think we would have had a very tough time w/ the Rams in the SB (I know they still have to beat San Fran).

They have a pass rush, we don't.  Defense wins championships, and theirs is better. They have a more balanced team - we have relied on Allen an inordinate amount of time.

There was a reason for this, I think. When we do make it back to the SB (next year), there won't be that kind of doubt.  We'll be the best team.

I am still hurting too especially now with the tv coverage for the games this weekend. Man, 13 f'n seconds.  I trully believe that they would have made the Super Bowl and likely win that game too. On bright side, Josh Allen has cemented himself as a top/franchise quarterback which makes the Bills a contender again next year. 

4 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm in full rationalization mode - but I think we would have had a very tough time w/ the Rams in the SB (I know they still have to beat San Fran).

They have a pass rush, we don't.  Defense wins championships, and theirs is better. They have a more balanced team - we have relied on Allen an inordinate amount of time.

There was a reason for this, I think. When we do make it back to the SB (next year), there won't be that kind of doubt.  We'll be the best team.

Very good point. Rams have a great defense. 49ers are pretty good too. I still think Bills would have beaten both teams though especially against the Rams it would have come down to the last play and we know Allen can deliver (unlike the coaching staff)   

• Like (+1) 1

I’m over it. That game to me and to most everyone I know who aren’t Bills fans is “Josh Allen, Superstar”, not “13 seconds”. Unlike the Music City Miracle which I never want to see again, I can & will watch Josh in this game over and over again. Bills may not be America’s team, but Josh Allen is on the verge of being America’s player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

To me it looks like the ball is right between his hands. I could be wrong but it looks close to me.

It’s the angle of that picture.  On that play Rousseau put his hands up because Mahomes was rolling out getting ready to pass.  Mahomes adjusted and sidearmed the ball under Rousseau’s arms.  Had Rousseau not put his arms up Mahomes simply would’ve thrown the ball over him.  Just a fantastic play by Mahomes.  

• Agree 1

You have to let it go.

Its going to happen someday. You have to have hope.

My beloved Georgia Bulldogs went 41 years without a championship.  Beaten by Alabama 7 times in a row and it looked like 8 times before we pulled off a miracle in the championship game.

My beloved Atlanta Braves went 26 years without a championship and finally it happened.

One day its going to happen.

You keep knocking on that door, one day your going to kick it down.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I am not sure what is going on as I really thought I was through the tough stretch of emotions. Knowing that KC is hosting in 2 days is just gutting me again. I know it's all been said but these 13 seconds just won't go away. I know that we should all be happy that Allen is our QB (and that is an understatement because he's the best player in the NFL) but it still doesn't help that what ifs. Who would have ever thought Rogers would win 1 SB over all these years? I am just going to bullet point the pain and then hopefully I can move on from this nightmare:

3 just brainless plays had to happen in order to lose that game. Just avoid ONE moronic playcall and the Bills are playing on Sunday

Buffalo had the healthiest roster they could ever want heading into the Championship

Allen was literally playing the best football anyone has ever see in the history of the playoffs

All the QBs who were going to be obstacles were knocked out of the playoffs and we were 13 seconds from achieving the ultimate KO in KC

Watching all the highlights all week long and enjoying all the hype was torn away (too painful to watch). The Allen hype would have been just bliss

I had friends and family flying in from all over the country and the tailgate being prepared would have been 1 for the ages 

Being at the game knowing that if they win, Super Bowl celebration would have been a memory of all memories

The 2 weeks of joy leading up to the Super Bowl watching every possible clip you could find on TV/radio, etc..

The mood of the city if they had won this weekend....I wanted it so badly for everyone

They will have more chances but will they ever have a better chance? I don't think so.....players and coaches leaving, health, AFC only getting stronger and stronger

Thanks for the therapy session as I really hope there are some responses to get me past this feeling. Never did I think it could be worse than wide right....and it is.

This year hurt in a way that last year didn’t.  Last year KC stomped us pretty handily and then got taken to the woodshed by Brady and the Bucs. Last year was good, but we were not at the level needed to win a SB.  This year hurt because we had a very real chance to win it all.  Had the KC game ended differently we’d be looking at a home game against the Bengals and then the SB.  We’re obviously better than the Bengals and I don’t think that’s close right now.  The Rams would have worried me (a lot), but that would have been a winnable game.  Also a Rams win over SF isn’t a gummies.  The Rams are much more talented, but Shanny is 6-0 against McVay, including a win a few weeks ago.  I’d have loved our chances against SF. 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I had no idea that a Bill was anywhere near any part of either of those plays. This is brutal. 

1 hour ago, BTB said:

I disagree with one premise in this thread and others that have occurred since Sunday night.  There was NO cakewalk to a SB championship.  Cincinnati has been playing well down the stretch and either the Rams or 49ers would have been formidable SB opponents.  

Rams could easily win it all, no matter who they play. that D is totally legit. 

7 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I'm still furious, and justifiably so. These coaches owe us an apology. 

It won't be until some players on defense are on different teams and they will be ok to tell someone what really happened. The fact that it was so avoidable is what I can't get over. You literally had to try and lose that game with their formations or they thought they were up by 4 instead of 3.

• Agree 1

I'm sorry, I have a tough time getting over it as well.  After Norwood missed the kick in Super Bowl XXV, I thought a team with Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith and on and on, is just too talented not to win a Super Bowl.  Then Joe Gibbs puts together a one-year wonder powerhouse, the Vikings gift the Cowboys a dynasty and there you are.  No rings.  Minnesota hasn't been back to the Super Bowl since the 70's.  Chances just don't come around as often as you think.  This year, we were pretty injury free but one injury to our star corner may have cost us a Super Bowl appearance.

I just can't get over the last 13 seconds and how stupendously stupid our defensive thinking was.  Hypothetically, what if we went for two after the last Davis TD and made it to lead by four.  At that point of course you kick it into the end zone to avoid the possibility of a return.  Even if KC ran the same two plays, they would have been at our 32 with a shot at the end zone.  That's mind-boggling.  That also assumes that they wouldn't have tried for more yardage on their two plays and that our DB's wouldn't have been playing any deeper than the 40 yards they were playing!

If my memory is correct, that's about where Bledsoe was when he launched the Hail Mary pass interference call that beat us in Foxboro.  

Sucks we finished better than the Bengals but had to face two teams better than the teams they faced.

Pats > Raiders

Chiefs > Titans

Of course it's how the cookie crumbles. But it's enough for me to root against Burrow.

Edited by 716er

4 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I'm sorry, I have a tough time getting over it as well.  After Norwood missed the kick in Super Bowl XXV, I thought a team with Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith and on and on, is just too talented not to win a Super Bowl.  Then Joe Gibbs puts together a one-year wonder powerhouse, the Vikings gift the Cowboys a dynasty and there you are.  No rings.  Minnesota hasn't been back to the Super Bowl since the 70's.  Chances just don't come around as often as you think.  This year, we were pretty injury free but one injury to our star corner may have cost us a Super Bowl appearance.

I just can't get over the last 13 seconds and how stupendously stupid our defensive thinking was.  Hypothetically, what if we went for two after the last Davis TD and made it to lead by four.  At that point of course you kick it into the end zone to avoid the possibility of a return.  Even if KC ran the same two plays, they would have been at our 32 with a shot at the end zone.  That's mind-boggling.  That also assumes that they wouldn't have tried for more yardage on their two plays and that our DB's wouldn't have been playing any deeper than the 40 yards they were playing!

If my memory is correct, that's about where Bledsoe was when he launched the Hail Mary pass interference call that beat us in Foxboro.  

Yeah it's rough.  I was there for Norwood and all the other Super Bowls..  That entire era the Bills pounded every NFC opponent during the regular seasons..EXCEPT for the Super Bowl.  That's the one time each year the NFC's best team showed up to beat us.  Argh,, then Music City, and the last couple seasons with tough endings....including 13 seconds to live in infamy.   It's almost like there's an extra force that the Bills have to contend with to win it all. Call it what you want,,, a curse on the city of Buffalo?!?   But all they have to do is bleed 13 seconds off the clock to advance and they completely botch it.. is almost too tough to accept.  

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Your 🍺 reaction merits a 😆 from me. 😁

About all we can do right now it grin and bear it (or bare it, depending on where your head's at). 🍸🍸🍸

Is the draft here yet?  When does training camp start?? 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah i thought I turned the corner today as well, but I had also not allowed myself to watch highlights or interviews from after the game yet.

then this morning I decide to watch the Brandt segment from one bills live and they show the same highlights I was trying to avoid. I was sick to my stomach after the 4th Davis td was shown. Man… This isn’t gonna go away any time soon is it.

53 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This year hurt in a way that last year didn’t.  Last year KC stomped us pretty handily and then got taken to the woodshed by Brady and the Bucs. Last year was good, but we were not at the level needed to win a SB.  This year hurt because we had a very real chance to win it all.  Had the KC game ended differently we’d be looking at a home game against the Bengals and then the SB.  We’re obviously better than the Bengals and I don’t think that’s close right now.  The Rams would have worried me (a lot), but that would have been a winnable game.  Also a Rams win over SF isn’t a gummies.  The Rams are much more talented, but Shanny is 6-0 against McVay, including a win a few weeks ago.  I’d have loved our chances against SF. 

Obviously better than the Bengals, will be disproven this weekend.  I think Cincy is at our caliber, they have a much better defense than they are given credit for and a QB/playmakers that are hitting their stride.

Has anyone actually watched them play this year?  Look I'm a HUGE Bills Fan too, but let's not act like this would have been some lopsided game.  Both Raiders and Titans had great teams, Cincy handled each of them.  

I'm sorry, just tired of hearing people act like we had some cakewalk to a superbowl if we would have beaten KC.  Tell that to the 90s Bills, who were WAY better than their opponent.  Rams still have the most balanced/talented team, been they would've been the top seed in the NFC if not for Stafford faltering through the season and their competition being tougher than most others had to face.

Our defense is still not ready for the big dance, hopefully next year will be the year and some of our young guys grow into their potential.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.