What's the best advice anyone ever gave you?

WhoTom

17 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

From my Dad, ahead of my first year of college

1. Don't have too much sex, which is interesting because I had a great senior year of high school, or at least the later part, where I had sex, multiply, with this woman named <redacted>, with the door open, in my bedroom upstairs.  I liked her.  She was pretty, and she was *stacked*.  And I would mention that perhaps that she should remove her clothing, you know like rhetorically, and there we landed.  I am curious about why he offered this advice, but perhaps I will ask when he's on his death bed or something
  2. Don't have sex with men.  Not my thing.  And not that there's anything wrong with it.  But, WTF DAD?!
  3. Always wear pants of some sort
  4. Stop watching the Buffalo Sabres (the man knew this... in 1989!)

This is the best advice you've ever received?  What is the worst?

16 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

You make a good point.  The worst advice?  "Don't marry that woman; she's trouble."  And 14 years of marriage + 3 years of dating later, here we are.

But is she trouble?

"Loose lips sink ships"

Loose lips sink ships is an American English idiom meaning "beware of unguarded talk". The phrase originated on propaganda posters during World War II. The phrase was created by the War Advertising Council and used on posters by the United States Office of War Information.

I like Red lips sink ships too 🙂

m

1 hour ago, muppy said:

“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”

― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

#TRUTH -m

Reminds me of DC Comic character Green Lantern.

In the beginning he was fearless and then it was changed to one who could overcome great fear.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

In the beginning he was fearless and then it was changed to one who could overcome great fear.

sometimes quotes smack u upside the head and you think YES that is so true but I never really heard it put like that. Now I get IT. #growth

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

"Only fools have no fear." - Worf (ST:TNG)

• Like (+1) 2

I was young, fresh out of school and a custodian - "go for this" "go for that" type of guy in a local machine shop in 1976.  The shop was very clean and was tiled from one end to the other. I buffed the main aisle every day and while buffing I was always checking out the girls, who did piece work, along the way.

One day on my buffing run I was waved into the machine division where these three old lathe operators were chuckling when they told me to "Never dip your pen in company ink" 

Of course I needed clarification, so they cheerfully advised me not to get involved with the girls, in any way, shape, or form.  And if I did get involved, the entire shop would know every little screaming, steamy detail.  I welcomed and honored their advice and still use the phrase to this day.  They probably saved me from a world of misery.

don't tell people anything they don't need to know...especially when it comes to business.

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Anyone making you miserable is your fault. You are giving them permission to make you miserable.

i heard this recently and agree 100% 

we all have the tendency to give some people the power to stress us out.  it's easier said than done, but don't give them that power.  i actually heard this in a back pain seminar.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

“Hanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head.” ........Ann Landers

“Toxic people will pollute everything around them. Don’t hesitate. Fumigate.” – Mandy Hale

“I will not allow anyone to walk in my mind with dirty feet.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

Never Put Off Tomorrow What You Can Do Today

Never Get In A Fist Fight.  But If You Must, Hit First and Hit Hard

Love, and Cook with Reckless Abandon 

Lifes Most Urgent and Persistent Question Is - What Are You Doing For Others

If You Love Life, Don’t Waste Time, For Time is What Life is Made Of

Just Do It

No Act Of Kindness Is Ever Wasted

Kill Them With Kindness

• Thank you (+1) 1

Half joke, half serious...

I was about 12 years old and at a Bisons game with my dad. Hot blonde comes walking up the aisle and with my 12 year old hormones, I'm basically entranced and staring at her all the way up. My dad leans over and says "Just remember - someone, somewhere, is sick of ***** that."

It was kinda surprising since my dad never even swore around us growing up, let alone say something so crass. But he was right. And it helped me keep a perspective of not always chasing the next hot piece of ass, and that if the fire was dying a little in my current relationship that it is a natural part of being with someone for a long time, and you need to work at it.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:40 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Anyone making you miserable is your fault. You are giving them permission to make you miserable.

Yup.  Taking it personal.  One of the "4 Agreements."

"Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering."

7 hours ago, Pete said:

No Act Of Kindness Is Ever Wasted

No good deed goes unpunished. 

🤭😁

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Best actual advice I got was when my mom died. She has brain and lung cancer, and I helped take care of her with my grandma (I did nights, grandma did days), and I was tired. I was done, I was out of gas. I have some beef with my brother over how little he did to help, and just didn't want to go to the funeral. I was ready to move on with my life (I thought) and just didn't want any drama. I don't know if I actually would have not gone, but I know I was considering it. I mentioned this to my dad, who had been divorced from my mom for several years at that point.

My dad explained to me that funerals are really important. You'll see all these people (or even just one) that cared about the person you also cared about. You'll share stories and you'll share experiences. You'll remember. And even though it hurts, sharing those experiences is super-healing and can help bond you with others, so that the person who is gone is STILL making an impact. When many people from many years ago in my mom's 'old life' showed up to honor her, it was the one of the most uplifting things I have ever gotten to experience, and it helped me heal.

I am really not sure that if I had not discussed this with my dad, EVEN IF I had decided to go, I would have gone in with the attitude I needed to have to have it be a positive experience. I had not been to an (edit: family) funeral previous to that except as a kid, and that is just a whole different experience.

Sadly, I lost my best friend in the middle of Covid. His folks could not have a funeral. A year later, his mom had a ceremony for him, very small. I was very conflicted as I thought I had moved on and this felt somewhat like picking at a scab that was healing fine already. Well, my dad's advice came to me, and I knew I had to go. It was not easy, especially with the time delay, but I got to remember my friend in the best way possible, with other people who valued his life and his spirit.

I know this is something most folks know already I guess, but I didn't. I'm glad my dad was around to explain it to me.

Edited by Golden*Wheels
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/1/2022 at 7:18 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Never tune-up the boat in the middle of the ocean."

don't ***** where you eat.

lol

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Don't take advice from the internet.

😲

consider the Source!

wooooooooooooooooooooo lol

m

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.