Micah Hydes Interception

Awwufelloff

On 1/16/2022 at 11:36 AM, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Mac never looked Off the safety… the contrast between that and how well Josh looked off the safety on the Sanders TD was blindingly obvious. And never mentioned by the broadcast crew. 

He also pump faked to the left for some reason instead of the right in man coverage.  If he pump fakes to the right that's pry a TD.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Meet my friend Taron Johnson.

That's a great INT with a heluva run back.. Lamar threw a bad pass here....   But it does not compare IMO to the Hydes INT. That was just a shocking "WTF just happened"  play. I watched it on TV and I thought New England had a sure 6 points.. My jaw dropped when I realized... no its was intercepted.  Best INT I have ever witnessed in 50+ years of being a Bills fan IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

That's a great INT with a heluva run back.. Lamar threw a bad pass here....   But it does not compare IMO to the Hydes INT. That was just a shocking "WTF just happened"  play. I watched it on TV and I thought New England had a sure 6 points.. My jaw dropped when I realized... no its was intercepted.  Best INT I have ever witnessed in 50+ years of being a Bills fan IMO.

Greatest or best? Best? Okay I won't argue.  It was a phenomenal defensive play, both mentally and physically 

Greatest? Johnson, hands down. Johnson won a tightly contested playoff game when the outcome hung in the balance.  Bills were going to beat the Patriots even if Hyde drops the ball.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Plus this.  I saw it in the stadium, and when I saw Hyde break on the ball, I thought he had a shot to get there and make a play.  It wasn't some miracle.  He read the routes and Jones and made the right decision.  The catch was incredible, but the PBU would have been just a good safety doing his job.  

Plus, Jones hinges the ball in the air, and as others have said, he failed to look Hyde off.  It wasn't a great pass.  

However, for pure football beauty, it was an all-time great play.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

It wasn't a great pass. 

However, for pure football beauty, it was an all-time great play.  

It was a sure fire TD if Hyde doesn't make it there.. SO I disagree. Its a game of inches 

But that is all I am really talking about. Just the sheer beauty of it... It stood out to me against all the rest....

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/16/2022 at 1:45 AM, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

I live in Wisconsin. Packers fans constantly tell me how salty they are we stole Hyde from them . Amazing play

Do you tell them that we just paid him to come play here and that their team could have done the same if they wanted him? No theft involved.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:45 AM, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

It was a sure fire TD if Hyde doesn't make it there.. SO I disagree. Its a game of inches 

But that is all I am really talking about. Just the sheer beauty of it... It stood out to me against all the rest....

Yes, it was a sure fire TD, but it wasn't a great pass.  Jones's job is to evaluate the window and get the ball there before the window closes.   Either he didn't see Hyde at all, or he misjudged how long it would take Hyde to cover the ground.  Either way, Jones threw deep into double coverage when he wasn't supposed to.  That's on him, all day long.   It's his job to evaluate the situation.   Single coverage, yes, you take the chance.  Double coverage, no, unless you are sure, sure, you will get the ball there before the window closes.  

I was sitting in the stadium watching the ball, and it was in the air a LONG time.  Allen's touchdown to Sanders was the exact same distance in the same corner of the same end zone, and Hyde wouldn't have come within three strides of Allen's ball.   If Jones wants to be the man in the NFL, he has to throw the ball with more velocity.   If he can't throw it with any more velocity, then he has to know that he can't get that ball into that window.  As Clint Eastwood famously said, "a man's got to know his limitations." 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, skibum said:

Levi Wallace was burnt to a crisp on that play! He should give Hyde his game check. 

The more you look at the play, the worse it looks.  

Actually, however, I don't think it was as bad as it looked.   It's just one more example of why this defense, as this team understands and plays it, is so good.  

The thing to remember is that Wallace knows he has help over the top.  That allows him to overplay the shorter options.   Doesn't mean that a great corner doesn't recover - White probably would have been right there with Hyde, but I'd be Wallace played it as he was supposed to.  

On 1/16/2022 at 11:36 AM, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Mac never looked Off the safety… the contrast between that and how well Josh looked off the safety on the Sanders TD was blindingly obvious. And never mentioned by the broadcast crew. 

Right. You can see Jones pretty much look at his receiver all the way (although I think his pump fake did slow the corner) while Allen looks to his right before going left to Sanders. The other differences between the two throws is how much more air Jones had to put under the ball and how much longer it took to get there.

Both throws were made from almost the same spot on the field and you can really see the difference when watching them back to back.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can see how Jones looking at Agholor, or at least in his direction, led Hyde to go that way.  Versus Josh looking right first and keeping the safety away.

Very true, but also by my rough estimation looking at the video above Josh's ball gets there a full second faster. Mac's took three mississippis and Josh's took two mississippis.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:48 AM, PatsFanNH said:

but damn that Hyde pick was a thing of beauty.. (now will come the 3 Bills fans to tell me it wasn’t it was all on Jones weak arm. Sad they can’t even take a complement to their best D player right now..)

I thought it was a good throw by Jones and if Hyde doesn't make a fantastic play, it is a TD. I also think Jones did a good job with the pump fake to slow the corner. But I also think he looked toward his receiver the whole time and put just a little too much air under the ball, allowing Hyde to get there in time. I actually am one who thinks Jones played well as a rookie and is going to be a good QB in this league. If you watch the throw from the endzone (All 22) you will see what I mean. A little harder throw and lower trajectory and Hyde doesn't get there. Like I said, I like Jones and it is a minor criticism regarding a couple things that, IMO, made the difference between it being a really good throw and being a great throw.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I thought it was a good throw by Jones and if Hyde doesn't make a fantastic play, it is a TD. I also think Jones did a good job with the pump fake to slow the corner. But I also think he looked toward his receiver the whole time and put just a little too much air under the ball, allowing Hyde to get there in time. I actually am one who thinks Jones played well as a rookie and is going to be a good QB in this league. If you watch the throw from the endzone (All 22) you will see what I mean. A little harder throw and lower trajectory and Hyde doesn't get there. Like I said, I like Jones and it is a minor criticism regarding a couple things that, IMO, made the difference between it being a really good throw and being a great throw.

For a rookie I considered it a great throw just because he is a rookie..  My point to all the detractors is simple It was the right call and it wasn’t such a poor throw that just “anyone” could have picked it. Hyde showed why he was special.. he’ll all game he was special.. (the punt return as well) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

You need to watch a Deion Sanders highlight reel.  

Great comment.   I mean, it was a great play by Hyde.  Beautiful.  Perfect.   But he isn't the only guy who's ever made a play like that.  

I disliked Sanders.  He was a jerk.  But he was an absolutely extraordinary athlete who dedicated himself to developing his cover skills.  Hyde is dedicated like Sanders was, but Sanders brought athleticism to his craft that Hyde only can dream of. 

And, on the question of whether Jones made a good throw, yes, he can make the throw he needs to make, he can learn to look off defenders, he can learn to recognize defenses (Allen's throw to Sanders, there was no way the safety was coming over the top - it was pure one on one), yes, Jones can learn to do all that, and I think he will, but on Saturday night he showed that he hadn't yet learned it, and that's why it was a bad throw.  

On 1/20/2022 at 1:14 PM, Shaw66 said:

Yes, it was a sure fire TD, but it wasn't a great pass.  Jones's job is to evaluate the window and get the ball there before the window closes.   Either he didn't see Hyde at all, or he misjudged how long it would take Hyde to cover the ground.  Either way, Jones threw deep into double coverage when he wasn't supposed to.  That's on him, all day long.   It's his job to evaluate the situation.   Single coverage, yes, you take the chance.  Double coverage, no, unless you are sure, sure, you will get the ball there before the window closes.  

I was sitting in the stadium watching the ball, and it was in the air a LONG time.  Allen's touchdown to Sanders was the exact same distance in the same corner of the same end zone, and Hyde wouldn't have come within three strides of Allen's ball.   If Jones wants to be the man in the NFL, he has to throw the ball with more velocity.   If he can't throw it with any more velocity, then he has to know that he can't get that ball into that window.  As Clint Eastwood famously said, "a man's got to know his limitations." 

mckorkle has a noodle arm= INT 

the ball hung in the air too long- simple as that

mckorkle knew what he wanted to do, he will learn to look off the safety but he will probably never have the arm to make that throw look easy like QB1 does

14 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

mckorkle knew what he wanted to do, he will learn to look off the safety but he will probably never have the arm to make that throw look easy like QB1 does

I don't think he had a horrible arm.  I can imagine him being a thrower like Andy Dalton as he develops.   But you're right, he'll never make that throw look easy.   If he learns his craft, he will learn to do the little things that will make him either not make the throw at all, or look off the safety, or release it a little earlier.  

But, and I think you agree, just because the ball was coming down perfectly into Agholar's hands doesn't mean it was a good throw.  His job is to get the ball there before the defender gets there, and he failed at his job. 

It's got to be discouraging to Jones to look at the film of his throw and then look at Allen's throw to Sanders and realize that there are some things he just never will do on a football field. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

For a rookie I considered it a great throw just because he is a rookie..  My point to all the detractors is simple It was the right call and it wasn’t such a poor throw that just “anyone” could have picked it. Hyde showed why he was special.. he’ll all game he was special.. (the punt return as well) 

:flirt:

If Mac had put the ball in a different place, Hyde wouldn't have had a chance at it.

59 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think he had a horrible arm.  I can imagine him being a thrower like Andy Dalton as he develops.   But you're right, he'll never make that throw look easy.   If he learns his craft, he will learn to do the little things that will make him either not make the throw at all, or look off the safety, or release it a little earlier.  

But, and I think you agree, just because the ball was coming down perfectly into Agholar's hands doesn't mean it was a good throw.  His job is to get the ball there before the defender gets there, and he failed at his job. 

It's got to be discouraging to Jones to look at the film of his throw and then look at Allen's throw to Sanders and realize that there are some things he just never will do on a football field. 

roughly 5 seconds in the air vs Josh roughly 3.5 seconds. INT vs TD

I have a personal list of favorite Bills plays ever...I cant make it a top 10 because none of them are any less special it just keeeps going.......... @oldmanfanwas at a game as was I, I was in the batavia party zone endzone ..Monday night football Bills-Raiders when Ahmad Rashad caught game winning TD and the stadium went NUTS...Shaking from people just jumping up and down cheering..it was electric...in my mind being at highmark last week must have been just as Nuts.......I really think so 🙂

Edited by muppy

21 minutes ago, muppy said:

I have a personal list of favorite Bills plays ever...I cant make it a top 10 because none of them are any less special it just keeeps going.......... @oldmanfanwas at a game as was I, I was in the batavia party zone endzone ..Monday night football Bills-Raiders when Ahmad Rashad caught game winning TD and the stadium went NUTS...Shaking from people just jumping up and down cheering..it was electric...in my mind being at highmark last week must have been just as Nuts.......I really think so 🙂

I couldn't go to sleep that night.  Woke up my wife and told her she wouldn't believe what just happened.  She went back to sleep. 

Saturday night was unlike any game I'd ever gone to.  It was absolutely electric.  

35 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

roughly 5 seconds in the air vs Josh roughly 3.5 seconds. INT vs TD

Zactly.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I couldn't go to sleep that night.  Woke up my wife and told her she wouldn't believe what just happened.  She went back to sleep. 

Saturday night was unlike any game I'd ever gone to.  It was absolutely electric.  

Zactly.  

Im glad u were able to witness it...unreal.......my favorite Bills experience ever was the eruption after he caught that TD...right in front of me :-)))))))))))

On 1/16/2022 at 1:39 AM, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

This was the best I’ve seen all year 

EE8B9589-8A64-494B-9231-BE73CB8A1CD5.jpeg

That play may have set the whole tone of the playoffs for this team !   From giving up a disappointing TD in the very next possession after we scored on a pass Josh was throwing away , to then deflating the Pats as we quickly went up 14-0 after the pick , forcing them to begin to abandon the thought of just running the ball again !  It set the tone , momentum of the game quickly and things snowballed.  My only concern with that pic is look how badly Wallace was beaten in that picture !  Imagine how Hill , kelce may take advantage of that coverage if given the scenario of being covered in man coverage bu Wallace or Jackson !?  This is the type of game that the QB will be more accurate and the receivers more experienced than the Pats receivers and there won’t be the severe weather conditions that may have influenced some drops by the Pats by wide open guys.  We got lots of breaks that game ,even tho I believe the game Showed the true talent difference between us and the Pats right now!  That talent gap won’t be there playing the Chiefs in  their home, and the episodes of broken coverages we saw at times by the Bills won’t go unpunished in all likelihood.  

Great pick by Hyde and one of the most athletic plays I have ever seen a Bills db make !  I just hope that picture is not a forewarning of what the Chiefs may do against our dbs without Tre back there taking at least one of those guys out of their game !   There were plays that the Pats blew I think given the pressure of the playoffs and the crazy weather , and the Chiefs have been there, done that already and  hopefully the play of Hyde /poyer continues to cover up the huge hole present in our. Coverage created by Tres absence !  

On 1/20/2022 at 12:07 AM, Shaw66 said:

Meet my friend Taron Johnson.

Granted that was huge, and I love how unnoticed that the first guy dapping Taron up in the end zone is Zimmer, don’t count that guy out next year, for his position he has elite speed.

However I do have to give the nod to Hyde for how magical that pick was that nobody even believed it happened as evidenced by Portnoy’s crew:

I’ve been watching this multiple times a day since it happened.

And it gets funnier EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

I contend the ball was under thrown. Had Mac placed it 3 yards deeper the receiver is the only one who can make a play on it. 
stiil great play by Hyde. 

On 1/16/2022 at 12:29 AM, Utah John said:

The key thing about that interception was that it denied the Pats the chance to think they could win.  The Bills had taken the opening kickoff and driven the field, scoring their first TD.  The Pats did not move the ball as easily as the Bills had, but they did move it, and that TD the Pats didn't score suddenly drained all the juice out of their offense -- they all started feeling really cold and not very interested.  And their defense played like zombies the whole game.  As time went on the Pats on the field kept looking fondly at the sidelines and the parkas.  

The cold was a real problem for the Pats but the Bills seemed completely unfazed.  It turned out the open air stadium DOES give the Bills an advantage.  

When did New England start playing in a dome?

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Granted that was huge, and I love how unnoticed that the first guy dapping Taron up in the end zone is Zimmer, don’t count that guy out next year, for his position he has elite speed.

However I do have to give the nod to Hyde for how magical that pick was that nobody even believed it happened as evidenced by Portnoy’s crew:

That video is fabulous.  That guy is obviously a good football fan, taking it all in, and we all know that kind of disappointment.  So cool how as they're watching they can see it's a touchdown, it's a touchdown, it's a touchdown!   Wait, what?   

One thing that surprises me is how so many people thought Agholar caught it or it was incomplete.  From where I was in the stadium, the only question was whether Hyde got his feet down and held the ball when he hit the ground - it was obvious he'd caught it.   

As far as the greatest, I'll just repeat what I've said before.   Best INT in Bills history?  Yes, probably.  Probably one of the best in the history of the league.  Greatest?   No.  Twenty years from now, looking back, Bills fans will STILL be talking about Bill Simpson's INT to clinch the playoff game against the Jets in 1981, and they STILL will be talking about Johnson's game-winner against the Ravens, and they STILL will be talking about Josh Allen and the offense against the Patriots.  Hyde's catch, spectacular as it was, will be a footnote. 

I put Hyde's catch in the same category as McGee's kickoff return against the Saints and Beebe's play in the Super Bowl - one of the greatest plays ever made by a Buffalo Bill.   

10 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

I contend the ball was under thrown. Had Mac placed it 3 yards deeper the receiver is the only one who can make a play on it. 
stiil great play by Hyde. 

When you look at the stills in this thread, you can see that the ball is dropping in over the receiver's shoulder right into his hands.   That is exactly where the receiver wants the ball.  It was perfect.  Now, maybe the receiver slowed down a bit to get the ball in that position, in which case you're right.  But he didn't slow down much.   Throw it much deeper and, yes, Hyde can't make the play, but the catch gets tougher for the receiver.  Three yards deep, the receiver has to lay out.  

It's all fun to talk about, but in the end it doesn't matter what we say.  Every time we watch the replay, it just gets better!

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

"That's bad for the over..."

Well,  at least the over still hit for that one guy.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TBBills said:

"That's bad for the over..."

Well,  at least the over still hit for that one guy.

Yeah, I loved that.   Guy's a Patriots fan, and his first reaction is that his bet is going down the shitter.  That's why I don't bet on games, and particularly not on Bills games.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Same with my wife but I also told her I should have gone to game even if she was worried about me driving alone.

Her response "I am still not driving you even if there is another playoff game." and went back to sleep.

15 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

It is not shown during most replays but Zimmer was also blocking off players who were trying to catch Taron.  One of them gave up trying to get past Zimmer.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

What a great video. At least they are recognizing it was a great play. I love the line, its about to be over...that was the second drive of the game and first possession for the Pats

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.