Tommy Doyle at Jumbo TE

YoloinOhio

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m glad that he’s getting some experience out there and he seems to be making a difference.  Iirc he had 1 (maybe 2 penalties) and almost had another for going  Morton Downey Jr on someone after the play.  Doyle was fired up

It would be nice if we had a TE2 worthy of being active.  Are we the only team in the league that only dresses 1 TE weekly?  I hope he’s been practicing some routes and they have some trickery planned for these playoff games. 

Tight ends do NOT weight 320 pounds.

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The Brown and Doyle picks have me hoping that we're over the "slimmed down" guys phase and will value size.

In this draft I want a DT who when he walks into the room people think there's an earthquake happening. 

Jordon Davis at 320 pounds is your guy.  But he will be drafted in the top 20.  We need other positions more, and unless there is a GIANT run on offesve linemen, I'm expecting one of them, a defensive back and a linebacker in the first 3 rounds.  A good late round pick might be Marquan McCall, NT, Kentucky
Height: 6-3. Weight: 358.
Projected 40 Time: 5.35.
Projected Round (2022): 5-7.

That would give an entirely different look to the defense.  We could go 3-4.

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Tight ends do NOT weight 320 pounds.

Some posters do NOT understand humor.

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Jordon Davis at 320 pounds is your guy.  But he will be drafted in the top 20.  We need other positions more, and unless there is a GIANT run on offesve linemen, I'm expecting one of them, a defensive back and a linebacker in the first 3 rounds.  A good late round pick might be Marquan McCall, NT, Kentucky
Height: 6-3. Weight: 358.
Projected 40 Time: 5.35.
Projected Round (2022): 5-7.

That would give an entirely different look to the defense.  We could go 3-4.

Jordan Davis does NOT weigh 320.  

good call on McCall.  Would love him late rounds.  Hopefully we can get Harrison back at a reasonable rate and draft a big DT that can play 30%+ of the snaps as Philips backup.  

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

good call on McCall.  Would love him late rounds.  Hopefully we can get Harrison back at a reasonable rate and draft a big DT that can play 30%+ of the snaps as Philips backup.  

McCall is more my size of DT. 320 is a bit skinny for my liking. 

Get the 350 pounder in here, get some good Buffalo food in him and get him bulked up and ready to roll!

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

McCall is more my size of DT. 320 is a bit skinny for my liking. 

Get the 350 pounder in here, get some good Buffalo food in him and get him bulked up and ready to roll!

Davis isn’t 320.  My eyeballs tell

me 340-360, but who knows.  They also say that he’s 26 when that’s impossible. He’s plenty big enough.  He just won’t be there when we draft

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

...  the Georgia website has him at 340   https://georgiadogs.com/sports/football/roster/jordan-davis/5423

https://omaha.com/sports/college/it-seems-like-a-dream-outland-trophy-winner-jordan-davis-has-plenty-to-celebrate/article_8234293a-7343-11ec-b637-0ba00e4eccaf.html

pro football network    340     https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jordan-davis-georgia-dt-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/01/georgias-340-pound-dl-jordan-davis-admits-conditioning-was-off-against-alabama.html

wikapeada has him at 360    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Davis_(American_football)

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/10/2022 at 8:54 AM, No Place To Hyde said:

I've seen him out there but haven't noticed him. Best compliment a young OLman can get IMO. 

I'm thinking they try and throw him a pass this week or next (providing we make it) much like they have done with Dawkins before.

Daboll obviously reads these forums😏😏

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/10/2022 at 7:51 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Anyone notice him the last couple games and if he’s been a factor? I admittedly didn’t. Interesting wrinkle. 

ive said for years it was a waste to have Lee smith in those packages instead of a developmental tackle 

give the young man some live bullets to develop 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

There was a group of guys in 337 last game cheering wildly and ironically every time the ref did the #72 eligible announcement, which was often. It was a funny schtick. 

But dammit if tonight from our seats I wasn't SINCERELY doing the hand signals for a lineman declared an eligible receiver (like pantomiming brushing something off both shoulders) and cheering every time I saw #72 report. 

I WANT TO SEE SPLITS OF OFFENSIVE SUCCESS WITH AND WITHOUT DOYLE ON THE FIELD TONIGHT. It FELT like those were effective plays, especially in the red zone. But that might just be my newfound love for our new jumbo TE2 personnel and the fact that the refs have to broadcast it every time. 

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

There was a group of guys in 337 last game cheering wildly and ironically every time the ref did the #72 eligible announcement, which was often. It was a funny schtick. 

But dammit if tonight from our seats I wasn't SINCERELY doing the hand signals for a lineman declared an eligible receiver (like pantomiming brushing something off both shoulders) and cheering every time I saw #72 report. 

I WANT TO SEE SPLITS OF OFFENSIVE SUCCESS WITH AND WITHOUT DOYLE ON THE FIELD TONIGHT. It FELT like those were effective plays, especially in the red zone. But that might just be my newfound love for our new jumbo TE2 personnel and the fact that the refs have to broadcast it every time. 

It probably felt like they were effective because every play was effective last night. However I think the formation has been effective the last few games. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:03 AM, NewEra said:

I’m glad that he’s getting some experience out there and he seems to be making a difference.  Iirc he had 1 (maybe 2 penalties) and almost had another for going  Morton Downey Jr on someone after the play.  Doyle was fired up

It would be nice if we had a TE2 worthy of being active.  Are we the only team in the league that only dresses 1 TE weekly?  I hope he’s been practicing some routes and they have some trickery planned for these playoff games. 

I don't have the link handy but he is being used as a blocker for the past several games. Along with Bates on the OL , things have changed singificantly for the offense , esp in the run game. It seems Doyle is one of the reasons and also why Sweeny was not activated for last night's game. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I don't have the link handy but he is being used as a blocker for the past several games. Along with Bates on the OL , things have changed singificantly for the offense , esp in the run game. It seems Doyle is one of the reasons and also why Sweeny was not activated for last night's game. 

Good to see them set throw out of the 2TE set.  That’s what I was banging the table for all offseason.  Having the ability to run 2TE sets to switch things up and keep the opposing D on off balance.  It’s been a key to our run game and it helps open up the pass gam.

I didn’t think that Tommy Doyle would be that TE2 but I’m happy that he is.  He’s been a difference maker.  He might not be capable of pass blocking as an OT just yet, but he can maul and move.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

The more playing time Tommy Doyle, gets I could see the Bills using Dawkins as trade bait in the off-season.  Not saying it will happen but seeing what they could get is a possibility.

I’d say it’s more likely that Dawkins gets bumped to Guard but I doubt that as well. Doyle and Brown are both RTs. I suppose with an off-season to train and get stronger and learn Brown could become that guy at LT but as we saw this year he’s not close to that guy yet 

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

ive said for years it was a waste to have Lee smith in those packages instead of a developmental tackle 

give the young man some live bullets to develop 

Lee Smith actually did a fine job.  The mistake was not having anyone decent to replace Smith in that role for most of this season.   Tommy Sweeney is not the answer at TE#2.  

Doyle is a much better run blocker and he is athletic enough to catch a short pass.  It’s a good role for him and it gives the offense another dimension. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Lee Smith actually did a fine job.  The mistake was not having anyone decent to replace Smith in that role for most of this season.   Tommy Sweeney is not the answer at TE#2.  

Doyle is a much better run blocker and he is athletic enough to catch a short pass.  It’s a good role for him and it gives the offense another dimension. 

In Lee Smith's last year with Bills against AFC West he was assigned to block opponent pass rusher and he did it with ZERO penalties.

Josh Allen said he depended upon Lee Smith for understanding on AFC West teams.

Bills should have brought him as a "consultant" for KC game.

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Hey I wonder.  Did he attend 

And how he was knocked for it

Don't you mean he was Knoxed for it?

5 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

The more playing time Tommy Doyle, gets I could see the Bills using Dawkins as trade bait in the off-season.  Not saying it will happen but seeing what they could get is a possibility.

When’s the last time you saw him pass block?

On 1/10/2022 at 5:54 AM, No Place To Hyde said:

I've seen him out there but haven't noticed him. Best compliment a young OLman can get IMO. 

I'm thinking they try and throw him a pass this week or next (providing we make it) much like they have done with Dawkins before.

BUMPEROOSKIE and PROPS @No Place To Hyde it took a few weeks but Holy cow I LOVED IT last night:-)))))

I call that playing up to the level of your teammates BOOM

m

On 1/10/2022 at 8:21 AM, Hebert19 said:

Wait for tackle eligible against pats

BOOM you too :-)))))

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This jumbo package is a revelation. Has solved our short yardage woes. Any time we need a yard, we can get it now. 

save #17's legs for scrambles and being his elite self and not put his body in jeopardy? lol Yeah Id love that but I dunno ..he's a Baller  will he acquiesce the carries?? #17 aint afraid of no stinkin' short yardage,,,,But jumbo package FTW conceptually I like it.

m

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

I think the point got missed though.

It wasn’t that Lee smith was a bad player, just that it was a dumb role for a vet TE to be a pure in line blocker.

Put a cheap young developmental OT there and you get as good if not better blocking, save money, and give a guy invaluable live reps at a position that has had its contact practice opportunities gutted. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.