Week 18: Jets at Bills - a W wins the AFC East!

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I have tried a LOT of single malts.  You know, all "research."

😂

It's one of my favorites and competes with some 18 year olds.

Go for it and let me know what you think.

Why do people hate MNF?  Do you have to work nights or something?  Or go to bed early so you can't see the whole game?

What's not to love about "playoff weekend" lasting an extra day?

You'd rather have no football on Monday night with the whole thing already behind you for another week?

I want more football.

I think the concern is you seem to be penalizing the winning team so that they lose a day of preparation for the next game.

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would totally take Shaq back the Jets are where players go to die

True enough about the Jets, but he also flamed out in Miami, and three of his four years in Buffalo were mediocre at best.  He had a decent year in his contract year, but that’s it.  He is not worth the phone call in my opinion at this point.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Is 1974 when you fell asleep?

Hey Netflix: Bills theme, 1974 to present day, sonyab fell asleep to OJ game 1974, wakes up to Josh Allen 2022, can't believe there's not a dome yet in OP.  Pitch the pilot I'm in.

• Dislike 1

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

😂

Why do people hate MNF?  Do you have to work nights or something?  Or go to bed early so you can't see the whole game?

You'd rather have no football on Monday night with the whole thing already behind you for another week?

I want more football.

Big yes to the bolded, especially in the playoffs. I have competing priorities in my life besides just football. I love football! But I love other things too. And I also have to make time for things I don’t love, but ought to do. (Like my job and other responsibilities.) 

So yeah, Saturday and Sunday are great for playoff football. Give me 3 games each day and I’m very happy! But don’t try to take a third night out of my week. 

As a side note, the MNF production is so obnoxiously bad that it actively hurts my enjoyment of the games. That’s been true for a while now, but doesn’t HAVE to be true going forward, so it’s a lesser complaint in this context. 

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can't give you evidence of the future because it hasn't happened yet.........just like they didn't know that the majority of the games played in Rich Stadium would be played in an era of player free agency.    

The outdoor stadium crowd is mostly just thinking about what's important now.

I'm banking on significant change.

Higher costs of attendance, more player freedom,  a less violent but faster and more skillful game with a lot more technology on the field,  a season that continues to stretch deeper into winter and less fans wanting to shell out those big bucks to sit out in that cold all seem like good plays to me.

And if you want to pretend that the prospect of playing in the league's worst weather hasn't hurt the Bills chances of signing players in UFA..........even in a system where the owners have much more control over players than they will in the future.........then you do you.    

To paraphrase Lee Smith on the sideline last game..........nobody likes being out in this sh*t.

The bills media dept made a video on preparing for the weather games.  One of the bills employees said “the players hate this weather”.  Hate.  Why would a player that hates the winter conditions choose to go play in arctic conditions?  It’s one of the reasons we had to say overpay for FAs in the past.  

Now that we have an elite QB//HC/GM players should be taking less to join this team.  Instead, we paid Emmanuel Sanders 8m.  Feliciano overpaid.   Klein overpaid, Norman overpaid, butler overpaid, addison overpaid, Quinton Jefferson overpaid, Matakavich overpaid.  All average ball players.  All overpaid.  We don’t even overpay for great players, we overpay for average joes.  All of those guys are just that….and overpaid.  

I don’t pay attention to the economic infrastructure and ongoings in Buffalo, so I can’t really comment on why the city/state wouldn’t want to build a roof, but I know why we should want to build a roof.  To watch better football, to sit comfortably and enjoy the game without being miserable.  So families can sit and enjoy the game (because most kids don’t want any part of sitting in that weather to watch football). So we can better attract free agents and keep our players.  So the stadium can be used for other things while being located in a city that is freezing cold almost half the year.  

Lee wasn’t just talking about the players.  Lots of people hate that weather. Oh well, it was fun thinking about while it lasted.  Maybe, if we lose to the jets today, the pendulum will start knocking again.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can't give you evidence of the future because it hasn't happened yet.........just like they didn't know that the majority of the games played in Rich Stadium would be played in an era of player free agency.    

Higher costs of attendance, more player freedom,  a less violent but faster and more skillful game with a lot more technology on the field,  a season that continues to stretch deeper into winter and less fans wanting to shell out those big bucks to sit out in that cold all seem like good plays to me.

And if you want to pretend that the prospect of playing in the league's worst weather hasn't hurt the Bills chances of signing players in UFA..........even in a system where the owners have much more control over players than they will in the future.........then you do you.    

To paraphrase Lee Smith on the sideline last game..........nobody likes being out in this sh*t.

I agree with all this, but WNY isn’t exactly known for its forward thinking, so it’s no surprise. It’s not going to be a dome, yet I’ll be there enjoying the games when it’s built. However, I’ll always agree with this. I also expect the league to continue adding more

games each season as well 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2022 at 4:54 AM, YoloinOhio said:

We score the most 👋

Yeah the Bills score the most and allow the second least points, impressive combo.

I think the other main takeaway here is that we would ideally want to face the Raiders in the first round. A -68 point differential from a team that plays indoors and has to travel across the country with Derek Carr at QB...you'd love to see it. 

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

😂

I want more football.

On the whiskey front, I'd recommend Redbreast 12, Midleton, and The Quiet Man as excellent Irish whiskeys and Hibiki for a Japanese whiskey. Still more of a bourbon (Woodford Reserve) man myself, but those are all fantastic. 

As far as MNF goes, the five hour time difference is a killer for me as the SNF and MNF games start at 1:25 AM here and usually finish around 5 AM. Means booking a half day off the next day at minimum and still being pretty wrecked (can't rebound as well from the all-nighters as I used to!). I mean I've done it every game this season and I'll continue to if we get the primetime games, but yeah the 1 PM and 4 PM games work better for me and a few of the other posters that live abroad. I can appreciate that the night game atmosphere is pretty awesome though and would love to be there live for one someday, I've only ever been to the afternoon games throughout the years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The bills media dept made a video on preparing for the weather games.  One of the bills employees said “the players hate this weather”.  Hate.  Why would a player that hates the winter conditions choose to go play in arctic conditions?  It’s one of the reasons we had to say overpay for FAs in the past.  

Now that we have an elite QB//HC/GM players should be taking less to join this team.  Instead, we paid Emmanuel Sanders 8m.  Feliciano overpaid.   Klein overpaid, Norman overpaid, butler overpaid, addison overpaid, Quinton Jefferson overpaid, Matakavich overpaid.  All average ball players.  All overpaid.  We don’t even overpay for great players, we overpay for average joes.  All of those guys are just that….and overpaid.  

I don’t pay attention to the economic infrastructure and ongoings in Buffalo, so I can’t really comment on why the city/state wouldn’t want to build a roof, but I know why we should want to build a roof.  To watch better football, to sit comfortably and enjoy the game without being miserable.  So families can sit and enjoy the game (because most kids don’t want any part of sitting in that weather to watch football). So we can better attract free agents and keep our players.  So the stadium can be used for other things while being located in a city that is freezing cold almost half the year.  

Lee wasn’t just talking about the players.  Lots of people hate that weather. Oh well, it was fun thinking about while it lasted.  Maybe, if we lose to the jets today, the pendulum will start knocking again.

Are you complaining about over paying for players during UFA?  That’s what happens?

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

Are you complaining about over paying for players during UFA?  That’s what happens?

That’s not complaining.  That’s just stating facts.  Most teams overpay for good/great players.  We’re not overpaying for good/great players. …….we overpay backups to be starters.  I’m stating that playing in the cold and nasty conditions is frowned upon by many players.  People that aren’t from the cold, prefer to not play in the cold.  The Buffalo climate has had a negative effect on the talent that we’re able to acquire.  Some players won’t even consider signing with the bills because of the weather.  No roof on the stadium just compounds that for some players.  Sanders said it best earlier in the year, after this season, “i’ll be on the beach while y’all are up here freezing”.  

Again, not complaining.  I’m not cold.   I usually attend road games and avoid traveling back to Buffalo after October.  If they don’t put a roof on the stadium, that ritual will continue.  It just makes it a harder sell for our GM to acquire some players. 

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s not complaining.  That’s just stating facts.  Most teams overpay for good/great players.  We’re not overpaying for good/great players. …….we overpay backups to be starters.  I’m stating that playing in the cold and nasty conditions is frowned upon by many players.  People that aren’t from the cold, prefer to not play in the cold.  The Buffalo climate has had a negative effect on the talent that we’re able to acquire.  Some players won’t even consider signing with the bills because of the weather.  No roof on the stadium just compounds that for some players.  Sanders said it best earlier in the year, after this season, “i’ll be on the beach while y’all are up here freezing”.  

Again, not complaining.  I’m not cold.   I usually attend road games and avoid traveling back to Buffalo after October.  If they don’t put a roof on the stadium, that ritual will continue.  It just makes it a harder sell for our GM to acquire some players. 

I’m saying any UFA is gonna be an over pay no matter if great, good, backup. I’ve thought we’ve gotten pretty good deals on the players we have re-signed.

If you’re speaking to we are overpaying relative to typical UFA overpays, then maybe. But I think the idea that re-signees take deals says it’s more perception than reality as the re-signees have better perspective and they take deals. 

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think the best consideration for a dome is the fans. Players in the NFL are the least considerate of the market they play in and most interested in money. The NFL players window to make big money is so short that taking a pay cut to play in a glamour market isn't really what they will do. That's not to say market/weather isn't a factor for free agents but typically money and ability to win are far ahead of it.

Buffalo is only that bad weather wise for the back 4-6 weeks of the season and possible playoffs. Since Pegula took over the Bills have had no issues paying the bonuses and such needed to acquire starting caliber players and not overpaying for backups. Players don't have it that bad for most of the season and they can spend the off-season where they want to. 

But the fans typically don't have this luxury. The weather does impact the attendance and the ability for fans to enjoy the game. So long term I do think a dome is the way to go as it would be the best for the fans. However a dome would add a lot of short term costs to the stadium. Easily hundreds of millions more dollars in construction costs for a dome. I think those costs are just simply not tenable for the city or the Pegulas to afford. 

17 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I’m saying any UFA is gonna be an over pay no matter if great, good, backup. I’ve thought we’ve gotten pretty good deals on the players we have re-signed.

If you’re speaking to we are overpaying relative to typical UFA overpays, then maybe. But I think the idea that re-signees take deals says it’s more perception than reality as the re-signees have better perspective and they take deals. 

Every UFA is an overpay?  Are you serious….. do you really think that’s true?

You think addison and butler were worth their contracts?  Feliciano is terrible.  Klein is paid 6M+ to play 25% of the snaps this year. Sanders hasn’t done much except take snaps from Gabe Davis.  The panthers paid Hassan Reddick 8M.  Was he an overpay?  Was Judon an overpay?  Cordarelle Patterson? Ngakoue? Hendrickson?  James connor?  Awuzie? 

So, but I don’t agree.  not every ufa is overpaid. Not even close.  

my point.  The weather and playing outside in cold weather only hurts us when signing FA.  It, in no way helps us. 

20 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think the best consideration for a dome is the fans. Players in the NFL are the least considerate of the market they play in and most interested in money. The NFL players window to make big money is so short that taking a pay cut to play in a glamour market isn't really what they will do. That's not to say market/weather isn't a factor for free agents but typically money and ability to win are far ahead of it.

Buffalo is only that bad weather wise for the back 4-6 weeks of the season and possible playoffs. Since Pegula took over the Bills have had no issues paying the bonuses and such needed to acquire starting caliber players and not overpaying for backups. Players don't have it that bad for most of the season and they can spend the off-season where they want to. 

But the fans typically don't have this luxury. The weather does impact the attendance and the ability for fans to enjoy the game. So long term I do think a dome is the way to go as it would be the best for the fans. However a dome would add a lot of short term costs to the stadium. Easily hundreds of millions more dollars in construction costs for a dome. I think those costs are just simply not tenable for the city or the Pegulas to afford. 

I agree that the fans are the biggest consideration.  I was just starting another point

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Every UFA is an overpay?  Are you serious….. do you really think that’s true?

You think addison and butler were worth their contracts?  Feliciano is terrible.  Klein is paid 6M+ to play 25% of the snaps this year. Sanders hasn’t done much except take snaps from Gabe Davis.  The panthers paid Hassan Reddick 8M.  Was he an overpay?  Was Judon an overpay?  Cordarelle Patterson? Ngakoue? Hendrickson?  James connor?  Awuzie? 

So, but I don’t agree.  not every ufa is overpaid. Not even close.  

my point.  The weather and playing outside in cold weather only hurts us when signing FA.  It, in no way helps us. 

Fair not EVERY but UFAs are generally overpays.  We have hit on some ourselves (Williams last year). But if you’re complaint is we are paying too much for UFAs that are depth then I’m saying that’s pretty typical. 

I don’t think like any on those were worth their contract but I see the intention in most of them. Klein was insurance against Milano leaving. Mongo we can get out of after this year.  

I think all of these were luxuries we could afford cause we weren’t paying josh yet. Going forward we’re not gonna be active in UFA at all. 

Your point is still that we need a dome to get better deals in UFA?  I just don’t think it matters that much. 

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

Your point is still that we need a dome to get better deals in UFA?  I just don’t think it matters that much. 

People love to make blanket statements about everything, including free agents wanting (or not wanting) to come to Buffalo. 

It all depends on the individual.  Some guys probably wouldn't go to WNY for all the tea in China.  Others don't care and even prefer it.

Lastly, I have heard TONS of NFL athletes, used to crazy fan scenes at huge college programs, comment on how Buffalo is like a huge college town when it comes to the fanbase.

This seems to be extremely popular with almost all pro football players--they love it and that makes Buffalo an attractive FA draw!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

People love to make blanket statements about everything, including free agents wanting (or not wanting) to come to Buffalo. 

It all depends on the individual.  Some guys probably wouldn't go to WNY for all the tea in China.  Others don't care and even prefer it.

Lastly, I have heard TONS of NFL athletes, used to crazy fan scenes at huge college programs, comment on how Buffalo is like a huge college town when it comes to the fanbase.

This seems to be extremely popular with almost all pro football players--they love it and that makes Buffalo an attractive FA draw!

Agree I think re-signings like Levi, McKenzie, Milano, Williams show that value. 

9 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Fair not EVERY but UFAs are generally overpays.  We have hit on some ourselves (Williams last year). But if you’re complaint is we are paying too much for UFAs that are depth then I’m saying that’s pretty typical. 

I don’t think like any on those were worth their contract but I see the intention in most of them. Klein was insurance against Milano leaving. Mongo we can get out of after this year.  

I think all of these were luxuries we could afford cause we weren’t paying josh yet. Going forward we’re not gonna be active in UFA at all. 

I don’t have a complaint.  I’m just stating facts.  The weather hurts us with regards to signing free agents.  Not having a dome only compounds the disadvantage.  There isn’t a player in the league that is coming to Buffalo so they can play in the wet, freezing cold wind storms.  There ARE players that won’t sign with Buffalo because of the wet, freezing cold wind storms.  A roof could only help us attract free agents.  It would never hurt us imo.

that said….. we aren’t going to have a roof and that’s too bad.  It just means I won’t be watching many games from the new stadium in November- December

44 minutes ago, sonyab1974 said:

Uh no. I saw the schedule all week. It was at 1. There is no reason to be rude.

Sorry, just a joke.  No offense intended. They changed the game time last Monday.  Not sure what you were looking at all week. 

On 1/8/2022 at 2:52 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Enh ... I forgot to include Chicago, Pittsburgh, KC, and Philly in all of this. Sure, they don't have weather quite as bad as Buffalo, but it's certainly not good in late December/January. Chicago is actually colder than Buffalo, as is Green Bay. Literally every team east of Minnesota and north of the Mason-Dixon line save for Indy and Detroit is undomed, and fat lot of good that's done for Detroit in attracting FA talent. And I don't see any of those non-dome teams getting dome stadiums in the next decade plus either. The NFL will always be a mix of both, and the league wants it that way. Weather games look good on TV, and fans sitting in front of those TVs (the vast majority of fans) love it. I realize it sucks sitting in a windy, 34 degree storm, but the league doesn't care. The flip side using your logic is that Buffalo could attract defensive players looking to bump up their stats. It works both ways. But again, I don't think teams with half a brain make any decisions where they end up overvaluing dome stats. And players want to win. 

It's all academic anyway; the Bills aren't getting a dome. Maybe the new stadium will be designed well enough to mitigate the worst effects, however, and we'll grow to accept it and stop wishing for a dome. 

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.