Week 16: Bills at Pats - DISCUSSION

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Watching Saturday Night, it is clear the NEQB prefers, and relies heavily on, Hunter Henry the TE.  

Also many of very shallow crossers with yac.   The offense is a power running offense with quick shots and reliance on the TE.

49 and 58 need to step up.  

Jones is bad under pressure, as well.  He can't really move in the pocket, so it's fairly easy to sack him if you can get back there - which is the biggest challenge against that line.  The line is one of the best in the league, imo.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Success said:

Jones is bad under pressure, as well.  He can't really move in the pocket, so it's fairly easy to sack him if you can get back there - which is the biggest challenge against that line.  The line is one of the best in the league, imo.

Yo..i can't with your evaluation of this guy, It's generally so off base. He is not as mobile as other QBs obviously, but there is plenty of film where he has either moved up in the pocket or ran out of the pocket, got rid of the ball, or made the following play after throwing an Int. or sacked good. Please stop with these non factual post about the guy. This has to be how it was when Brady first started out on forums such as this.

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Yo..i can't with your evaluation of this guy, It's generally so off base. He is not as mobile as other QBs obviously, but there is plenty of film where he has either moved up in the pocket or ran out of the pocket, got rid of the ball, or made the following play after throwing an Int. or sacked good. Please stop with these non factual post about the guy. This has to be how it was when Brady first started out on forums such as this.

The bolded is hilarious, and typical of what I've seen from Pats fans online.  So many are convinced he'll be as good as Brady or close to it, based on the fact that his stats are better than some of Brady's 1st year stats.

Jones is such an average prospect right now.  He gets more time than just about any QB in the NFL, and he's hyped through the roof for completing game-manager kinds of passes under almost no duress.  When he is pressured somewhat, we see what we saw on Saturday - less accuracy, crucial picks, and a QB who looked lost halfway through the game.  

Personally, I'm happy about the hype.  He'll never play well enough to match it. Could he still pan out & be a solid starter?  Of course.  But he could just as easily end up as a career backup.  He'd be floundering in NY or Jax, or almost anywhere else.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Success said:

The bolded is hilarious, and typical of what I've seen from Pats fans online.  So many are convinced he'll be as good as Brady or close to it, based on the fact that his stats are better than some of Brady's 1st year stats.

Jones is such an average prospect right now.  He gets more time than just about any QB in the NFL, and he's hyped through the roof for completing game-manager kinds of passes under almost no duress.  When he is pressured somewhat, we see what we saw on Saturday - less accuracy, crucial picks, and a QB who looked lost halfway through the game.  

Personally, I'm happy about the hype.  He'll never play well enough to match it. Could he still pan out & be a solid starter?  Of course.  But he could just as easily end up as a career backup.  He'd be floundering in NY or Jax, or almost anywhere else.

You too have no idea what that statement meant....that statement was not comparing him to tom brady...it was to say that rival fans will discredit everything about a team in their division before conceding anything in favor of that team.

POINT: when Brady was here, i am sure plenty of rival fans rather had in front of a car before coming to the realizing he was good. 

edit: I am wrong to generalize. SOME rival fans. 

7 minutes ago, driddles said:

Come on man.  When Brady started out we were on stone tablets.

That's true...time sure flies......so at bars, telephones calls, living rooms and water bubblers meetings then.

Edited by Ghost_002!

2 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

You too have no idea what that statement meant....that statement was not comparing him to tom brady...it was to say that rival fans will discredit everything about a team in their division before conceding anything in favor of that team.

POINT: when Brady was here, i am sure plenty of rival fans rather had jump in front of a car before coming to the realizing he was good. 

And what does the bolded have to do w/ Jones?

Just now, Ghost_002! said:

*face palm......*

he plays for your rival team, the team you hate most...just like when brady was here!?

You implied that Jones has been deemed "good," and we're just not acknowledging that because we're rival fans.

I think the hype on him to this point is what isn't valid, or realistic.  I think my take is unbiased, and it's actually the take that is most consistent w/ the scouting on Jones coming in.

Time's gonna tell on this one.  I know that after initially being concerned about Jones, I no longer have any worry about him at all.  I think at best that he'll be a marginal starter.  He's exactly what scouts said he was going to be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

You implied that Jones has been deemed "good," and we're just not acknowledging that because we're rival fans.

I think the hype on him to this point is what isn't valid, or realistic.  I think my take is unbiased, and it's actually the take that is most consistent w/ the scouting on Jones coming in.

Time's gonna tell on this one.  I know that after initially being concerned about Jones, I no longer have any worry about him at all.  I think at best that he'll be a marginal starter.  He's exactly what scouts said he was going to be.

I explained what I meant and the purpose of that statement. Enjoy the rest of the thread. 

👍

48 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Did you know there are other QBs in history not named Tom Brady? There was even football played before the year 2001 if you can believe that.

Amen, brother. How many years has football commentary been obsessed with Brady? And with no end in sight! He's been the Messiah since the Kelly era, for god's sake. What a preening jerk, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Buffalo needs a healthy oline badly to have a chance in this game against that defense

It's just another good defense, no better or worse than Tampa's or Carolina's or Pittsburgh's. The Bills defense is better. That's not to say it will be easy because, again, the offensive line play this year is just so so bad.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

He throws to Borne and Meyers everywhere, including over the middle. The Pats may be down Agalor. And Harry.. Harry be missed for his blocking ability.. 

Where Jones LOVES to target Henry, is in the red zone. He has I think 9 or 10 TD catches now. The red zone where you need take TE away IMO.. 

and third and long.  Henry is your best playmaker and his favorite target when he needs something to happen.

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Not when you faced them! They were a mess and just playing gods awful! Mind you they still don’t look right to me.  Meanwhile you mention one.. 

Pats—- Cleveland, Chargers, Bills, Titans

close losses:

TB, Dallas, Colts,Miami

Bills. —Chiefs

close losses;

TB, Jags, Pats, Titans, Steelers

so again Chiefs kinda stunk then (they did start 2-4 like the Pats)

This is such BS that someone said and now its gospel.  The Chiefs won the week before the Bills and the week after.  They scored 31 points and 42 points in those two games.  I pointed this out to you before and you obviously ignored it because it doesnt fit your narrative.  

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

This is NOT going to be a popular assessment on this board...but I think it's about as fair as I can see it.

When he first led the Pats to a Super Bowl and beat the "Greatest Show of Turf"...I was glad to see it. Truth be hold, that was the story every young boy pretended to play out on their back yards when playing football. Unheralded and unknown young QB taking over for an injured Pro Bowl QB, leading a mostly pathetic franchise to a World Championship. Seeing it played out at the time was one of the greatest sports stories ever told. 

But then he won again. And he kept winning. People got sick of it (and some of that was simple jealousy it wasn't their team doing it). People got sick of seeing the 90s Bills for somewhat the same reason. The "Them AGAIN?!?!" feeling. 

I used to hate Brady. Truth is...it's not his fault that Buffalo couldn't field a competitive team for 20 years. He didn't hire Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Malarkey, Marrone, Rex. Tom Brady didn't draft EJ Manual, JP Losman, Trent Edwards. I can say I have actually enjoyed watching him in Tampa.

Cycle forward to Mac Jones. Are there similarities? I think so. Are they "the same"? Not at all.  Mac is, right now very good at playing "Patriot Ball". Play within what McDaniels asks him to do. He's a good kid, seems very smart with a plus football IQ. He doesn't have Josh Allen's arm...but he doesn't need to. He is not spectacular. He may or may not turn into that guy.

It's likely he walks away this year with the RoY. What happens in years 2, 3, 4 remains to be seen. He has some potential to be really solid. Could also make a case that like Baker Mayfield he was already close to his ceiling as a QB. That's why we keep tuning in. To see what happens next. Me? I'm not afraid of competition. The whole "iron sharpens iron" philosophy. So a Patriot team that can keep the Bills from getting complacent is a good thing in my view....just have to hope our guys win the majority😂

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Evian said:

If the Bills can't beat a rookie QB at NE, and then beat the Falcons and Jets at home, they don't deserve to make the playoffs. 

NE is 3-4 at home. They are not some juggernaut. 

Agree. Bills have beaten one team with a winning record thus far (KC). No more excuses just win out and win the division like expected.

29 minutes ago, Evian said:

If the Bills can't beat a rookie QB at NE, and then beat the Falcons and Jets at home, they don't deserve to make the playoffs. 

NE is 3-4 at home. They are not some juggernaut. 

11 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Expecting a dog fight. Bills were embarrassed at home the other week. If game is close Josh needs to step up and get them a win.

I too am expecting one of those physical, brutal battle intensive games. I used bold for the "embarrassed" you said here because I think that particular term has lingered in the minds of the Bills Defense (especially Hyde and Poyer)  After the loss vs Pats the 1st game they took offense to that very word when answering media questions.

Now if there's a single person that doesn't believe Bills haven't been foaming at the mouth for this rematch along with "embarrassed" still as fresh in their mind as the day the guy said it, I'd say you couldn't be more wrong...

I feel confident this D will be as ready as they ever have for this match up. Looking forward to it myself..

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Agree. Bills have beaten one team with a winning record thus far (KC). No more excuses just win out and win the division like expected.

So true after everything this year Buffalo still has a chance, but with the oline and Dline I’m starting to think we’re just who we are at this point. I still hope they beat NE , but that will be hard if we play with that same oline last week, it want matter how great Allen is if his getting hit as soon as they snap the ball. Maybe the oline can grow a set for one game. Go BILLS 

I have to appreciate not going into a game against the Patriots thinking we will need luck or certain breaks to go our way to have a chance.

It's kind of the opposite.  I feel like the Pats need those things to beat the Bills.  If it's just talent against talent & everything else is equal, the Bills win.

And we have the better QB - finally.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.