Week 16: Bills at Pats - DISCUSSION

YoloinOhio

30 minutes ago, Success said:

You should really put together a summary of when wins really count & when they don't, and when fans should feel good about them & when they're meaningless.

It's all quite hard to keep up with.  I know that personally, I felt good about beating the Chiefs, who are the #1 seed in the AFC right now.  But apparently, that was a gimme.

I agree, the Chiefs are the same Chiefs they were for that Sunday night game vs Bills. Criticizing Mahomes is against NFL scripture , so the talking point is how much better the Chiefs D is now. The reality is Mahomes was a turnover machine earlier in the season and as he went, so went the Chiefs. He’s cut down the INTs and fumbles; aside from that it’s the same team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills forced themselves to run the ball at that high a %… McD didn’t believe his QB could throw in that weather so he turned it into a run first, defensive battle…. A game the Bills will more times than not lose.

Disagree. Why would the Bills want to get into a defensive struggle with the Pats? That's exactly what THE Pats want to do. It's a game plan the Pats win more often than not! It's obvious they have an inferior QB and offense. You beat the Pats by trying to score early and often. Thus, taking them out of their ground and pound and short passing game. The Bills can't play conservative or scared. McD and company should have trusted Allen and their receivers  more even in the wind. I believe if he did the Bills would have beaten the Pats. Of course side note about the refs calls make me sick to this day. 

Edited by newcam2012

1 minute ago, HamSandwhich said:

not well versed in how this is determined but is there a chance this game gets flexed? 

Nope, would have had to happen a couple of weeks ago I think.

Edit:  12 days minimum

Edited by eball

2 hours ago, JustHewIt said:

Well, I think it's kind lame to act like you were just a dropped ball or two away from kicking ass in a game you didn't really score in until garbage time.  By that logic, the bills are really a 12-2 team, if not for coming out flat and a miscue here and there.

In reality you're a five loss team who has beat up on some bad/injured teams and lost to most of the good teams you've played (and even a couple mediocre ones).  You had a stretch of your season that was *****, and you had a stretch that was strong.  Sounds pretty familiar, actually.

To your other point, the O moved it at the end of the third quarter when you were down 20-0 and running out of possessions.  Your other two drives in the third quarter were:

3 plays, 9 yards, INT
6 plays, 22 yards, Turnover on Downs

Another arrogant azzhat Pats fan to block.

Cueing the over/under on the number of times the media tells how HARD it is to beat the Pats coming off a loss. It is virtually impossible to beat Belichick coming off a loss........even though its already happened this year, happened twice last year including a 3 and 4 game losing streak, the year before with Tommy Brady, twice the year before that, and the year before that.......

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I thought that was exactly what I said… McD played an offensive game that isn’t the Bills strength because he was scared of the wind. It cost them the game. 

Bill didnt want to throw at all.  Imo, Mcdermott tried to to be conservative, until he had no choice but to throw.   This game the full offense will be available.  As funny it was that they have all of there pass plays.  They are a run first team and Buffalo saw all of their best stuff.  As the game went on the defense figured it out and shut it down. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Cueing the over/under on the number of times the media tells how HARD it is to beat the Pats coming off a loss. It is virtually impossible to beat Belichick coming off a loss........even though its already happened this year, happened twice last year including a 3 and 4 game losing streak, the year before with Tommy Brady, twice the year before that, and the year before that.......

Not to mention the endless slobbering over the elite Patriots defense, without mentioning whatsoever that the Bills give up only 1.2 points more per game and are ranked second in scoring defense, right behind the Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Not to mention the endless slobbering over the elite Patriots defense, without mentioning whatsoever that the Bills give up only 1.2 points more per game and are ranked second in scoring defense, right behind the Pats.

Well it's because they are TOUGH and PHYSICAL.  Not a soft, finesse D like Buffalo.  A D that is TOUGH and PHYSICAL would never get pimp caned by Indy.

• Haha (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Bill didnt want to throw at all.  Imo, Mcdermott tried to to be conservative, until he had no choice but to throw.   This game the full offense will be available.  As funny it was that they have all of there pass plays.  They are a run first team and Buffalo saw all of their best stuff.  As the game went on the defense figured it out and shut it down. 

Had they missed that 2-point conversion, and we took a 7-6 lead on that TD - the entire game would have been different, imo.

Jones would have been seen as MUCH more of a liability in any kind of comeback situation in those conditions. Even a single point.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm personally looking forward to the media reminding us all week how soft the bills are because of their suspect run d...... which just so happens to be ranked 8 slots higher than the Pats run d..... a pats run d that has allowed 220+ rush yards in 2 of their last 3.

• Like (+1) 2

Still kinda' frustrating,  we knew when we played them both that the Pats and Bucs were ripe for a Loss.  We were one week too early.  The Colts and Saints took care of them in their next games.  It's time for Buffalo to win a close contest vs a good team.  

• Like (+1) 1

Pats* fans that have already built Jones up in their minds to be the next Tom Brady are in for a rude awakening over the next couple seasons, in my opinion.

He seems to be a quarterback that you can win with so long as your defense and running game are doing well. I don't see him being a transcendent talent that can put teams on his back and carry them the way that true franchise quarterbacks sometimes need to do.

Put differently: immobile, pocket-only QBs with limited improvisational, off-structure ability don't tend to be among the elite signal callers these days. Brady is about the only one, and he's obviously more the exception than the rule when it comes to quarterbacking. 

I'm not saying Jones definitely can't or won't be elite. Maybe he will be. But many Pats* fans seem to think it's a foregone conclusion, based solely on his being a capable care taker and winning some games on the backs of an elite defense and coach. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I'm personally looking forward to the media reminding us all week how soft the bills are because of their suspect run d...... which just so happens to be ranked 8 slots higher than the Pats run d..... a pats run d that has allowed 220+ rush yards in 2 of their last 3.

On one of the sports shows, they said that the Bills don't have a chance in the next one because of McD's comments about Belichick after the wind game.

You know - because Belichick will now be "mad."

These are paid professionals who said this.  They said that a HOF coach who is preparing for the most important late-season game in the AFCE in decades will try harder because he's "mad."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Well it's because they are TOUGH and PHYSICAL.  Not a soft, finesse D like Buffalo.  A D that is TOUGH and PHYSICAL would never get pimp caned by Indy.

Amen. Or give up 100 yards to notDalton but don’t tell Hilliard go for 11-131 and notGeorge but D’Onta Foreman go for 19-109 In the same game……the same in which the Titans top 3 WRs were notMichael but Westbrook-ikhine, notJacob But Cody Hollister and notRyan but Dez Fitzpatrick.

so strong!  Ooooh so tough. They’re just lucky that Beane failed the OL and Daboll is 1/2 an idiot.

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Pats* fans that have already built Jones up in their minds to be the next Tom Brady are in for a rude awakening over the next couple seasons, in my opinion.

He seems to be a quarterback that you can win with so long as your defense and running game are doing well. I don't see him being a transcendent talent that can put teams on his back and carry them the way that true franchise quarterbacks sometimes need to do.

Put differently: immobile, pocket-only QBs with limited improvisational, off-structure ability don't tend to be among the elite signal callers these days. Brady is about the only one, and he's obviously more the exception than the rule when it comes to quarterbacking. 

I'm not saying Jones definitely can't or won't be elite. Maybe he will be. But many Pats* fans seem to think it's a foregone conclusion, based solely on his being a capable care taker and winning some games on the backs of an elite defense and coach. 

Reminds me of Andy Dalton.  He’s better than I thought he would be, I’ll give him that

i wonder in we’re going to see Spencer Brown @ LT and Cody Ford out there again.  Sadly, I really don’t think we stand a chance without Dawkins.  Not having a backup LT is maddening.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Success said:

On one of the sports shows, they said that the Bills don't have a chance in the next one because of McD's comments about Belichick after the wind game.

These are paid professionals who said this.  They said that a HOF coach who is preparing for the most important late-season game in the AFCE in decades will try harder because he's "mad."

Still my favorite trope in sports…the classic ‘bulletin board material’. These guys get payed for piling up statistics and performing well week to week but they supposedly only try when they are mad 😂

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Amen. Or give up 100 yards to notDalton but don’t tell Hilliard go for 11-131 and notGeorge but D’Onta Foreman go for 19-109 In the same game……the same in which the Titans top 3 WRs were notMichael but Westbrook-ikhine, notJacob But Cody Hollister and notRyan but Dez Fitzpatrick.

so strong!  Ooooh so tough. They’re just lucky that Beane failed the OL and Daboll is 1/2 an idiot.

Reminds me of Andy Dalton.  He’s better than I thought he would be, I’ll give him that

i wonder in we’re going to see Spencer Brown @ LT and Cody Ford out there again.  Sadly, I really don’t think we stand a chance without Dawkins.  Not having a backup LT is maddening.

Yea I like us for a win here unless we’re missing Dawkins still then it’s an uphill battle 

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

These are good points…Brady is great at those subtle moves in the pocket though to make guys miss so he’s got some weapons against pass rushers.  Jones kind of reminds me of a Ryan tannehill type at the moment

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea I like us for a win here unless we’re missing Dawkins still then it’s an uphill battle 

I just don’t see how it’s possible to win vs a decent team with the same OL as we had this week.  Our only chance would be to run every play and hope that they can just maul the pats weak front 7.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Success said:

Hackery at its finest.

Here's an idea.  Maybe McD was pissed at himself for taking his first L against the bradyless Pats in a game he should have won.  Maybe he's not afraid of the Hoody like he's supposed to be.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I just don’t see how it’s possible to win vs a decent team with the same OL as we had this week.  Our only chance would be to run every play and hope that they can just maul the pats weak front 7.  

Yea we can take some solace in the fact that the panthers actually have a great defense though…NE will be able to pace us better on offense than Carolina did though for sure.  I don’t think it’s impossible we beat NE without Dawkins but I certainly wouldn’t bet on it.  Carolina seems like a team we should’ve struggled against missing offensive linemen and also because they could frequently run designed qb runs with an extra blocker I was actually pretty impressed with our defense that game.  When I read the injury report I thought we were gonna lose like 14-10 again 😂

If we can get up early it’s game over. Noodle arm can’t throw them back into a game (unless we turn it over).

Also, for the love of god cover Henry in the red zone! He is the only person noodle arm will throw to there. I couldn’t believe the Colts leaving Henry open multiple times in the red zone.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea we can take some solace in the fact that the panthers actually have a great defense though…NE will be able to pace us better on offense than Carolina did though for sure.  I don’t think it’s impossible we beat NE without Dawkins but I certainly wouldn’t bet on it.  Carolina seems like a team we should’ve struggled against missing offensive linemen and also because they could frequently run designed qb runs with an extra blocker I was actually pretty impressed with our defense that game.  When I read the injury report I thought we were gonna lose like 14-10 again 😂

Yeah, it’s not so much without Dawkins as it is having Brown @Lt vs BB.  If our OL plays a good game, I’m confidant that we’ll win we’ll win. 

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The line was utterly terrible for the most part yesterday, but at the same time they were facing a very good unit. Probably as good as NE's defense, honestly. 

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The line was utterly terrible for the most part yesterday, but at the same time they were facing a very good unit. Probably as good as NE's defense, honestly. 

Yeah….but I don’t think we’ll score over 21 if our OL plays like that again.  I was scared for Josh’s life yesterday.  

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought it was more 50/50. There were times that Allen was running for his life, as usual - but I thought there were significant portions of the game where it actually looked normal, and he had plenty of time to throw.

I was actually kind of encouraged after watching the game.  They also looked better run blocking, imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I thought it was more 50/50. There were times that Allen was running for his life, as usual - but I thought there were significant portions of the game where it actually looked normal, and he had plenty of time to throw.

I was actually kind of encouraged after watching the game.  They also looked better run blocking, imo.

Yeah, but under siege 50 percent of the time is almost by definition not good. That's way too often. 

My guess is that they run early to set up play action, then its dink and dunk, take a random shot.  Josh will need to play lights out and its going to come down to turnovers, penalties, and mistakes.  Hopefully its a COVID free affair if nothing else.

Watching Saturday Night, it is clear the NEQB prefers, and relies heavily on, Hunter Henry the TE.  

Also many of very shallow crossers with yac.   The offense is a power running offense with quick shots and reliance on the TE.

49 and 58 need to step up.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.