[Edit] The Obligatory Edmunds Thread (was: Edmunds name-only title)

beacon

This thread brings up some conjecture/questions on my part

Would a switch back to a 4-3-4 (more traditional) D alignment help with the run game. Of course I am assuming they can get a better MLB and move Edmunds and Milano to the OLB positions.

is the reason the Bills use a 4-2-5 because they are concerned about their defensive backfield and want some help back there. Milano and Edmunds are pretty good in pass coverage (IMHO-which isn't worth much admittedly).

One of the reasons for asking is in next year's draft maybe using that first round pick on a really good MLB would solve a myriad of problems for the Bills D.

Wait until we play Tampa Bay this coming weekend.  Wish we could have helmet cams on their two linebackers "White and David" and stream this to  Milano ,Edmunds, Frasier and McDermott to watch the entire game.  Wow talk about an intervention!!!  LOL...  Our linebackers are below average in every single category when grading this position.   Want to see how linebackers are supposed to play watch Tampa's two this coming Sunday.   We can sit Milano and Edmunds on the damn bench for all I care they don't do squat except occupy space on the football field anyway.  They have zero impact on games and after last nights pathetic performance they are both expendable IMO.   Good riddance after this year to Edmunds, finally,  and just release Milano take the cap hit get some real linebackers via the draft or FA.  Neither are worth any of the money they are paid.  Period!!

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, zevo said:

I think he gets a lot of *****...but I also have zero desire to hand that man a huge contract...

That’s the issue for me.  You just cannot pay him the huge contract he is in line for.  He’s not a terrible player.  He has a lot of positives, but his problems along with what he soon will cost make me want to move on.  You can get an above average MLB who maintains his gap responsibilities for a whole lot less.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The guy does nothing well except fill out a Uniform.  People are obsessed with his size and speed metrics, and it gets in the way of reality when it comes to his play.    I heard an excellent point about him on the radio this morning.   Everyone remarks on his age, he is only 23 etc.  However, his age doesnt change the fact he has played in over 50 NFL games.  The guy is who he is.  

He can make tackles sideline to sideline as long as he is 100% clean from blockers.   The idea that he is somehow good in zone coverage blows my mind as well.  He is often out of his zone because he gets fooled easily by play action.    Good leader, below average football player and there is no way in heck the Bills should be looking to pay him 12-13 million dollars a year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

Go back and watch every single big play NE made on the ground... you'll notice 49 either completely washed out of the play, or fail to get off a block. 

Looks like tarzan, plays like jane. It's not going to improve. Let miami overpay him next year. 

He's garbage and has been for awhile.  His instincts are terrible. This Edmunds report was such nonsense. He does 1 thing well, cover TE's.  That's it.....literally that's it. Play Dotson, hell play Andre Smith more or just put Klein in there the remaining of the season. What a 1st round "trade up" project bust. 

• Like (+1) 2

I feel like a broken record on topics like this but Edmonds is the perfect example of the type of players this regime has drafted, particularly on defense:

1) undersized built to defend passing teams only

2) shows flashes of greatness at times but mostly invisible especially in big games

3) better suited to be playing in a 3-4 defense as an OLB pass rusher

With that said don't be surprised if he ends up on a different team down the road and flourishes but he's simply not a fit for whatever defensive scheme you want to call this crap under Frazier/McD and will continue to be a liability against teams that follow the Titans/Colts/Pats gameplans against us.

1 hour ago, entropyrules said:

This thread brings up some conjecture/questions on my part

Would a switch back to a 4-3-4 (more traditional) D alignment help with the run game. Of course I am assuming they can get a better MLB and move Edmunds and Milano to the OLB positions.

is the reason the Bills use a 4-2-5 because they are concerned about their defensive backfield and want some help back there. Milano and Edmunds are pretty good in pass coverage (IMHO-which isn't worth much admittedly).

One of the reasons for asking is in next year's draft maybe using that first round pick on a really good MLB would solve a myriad of problems for the Bills D.

It’s an excellent question that leads into another.  If you’re going to only play 2 LBers in your base defense, can you afford to have one of them blow assignments regularly in hopes that his splash plays make up for it?  To me, that’s an obvious no.  If you’ve only got one LB in the correct position, smart teams will eat you alive.

In the AFCCG, Mahomes ate him alive.  If Edmunds was out of position, he’d hit Kelce.  When he was in position, Pat just moved him with his eyes…and then hit Kelce anyway.

There’s a reason he has so many defenders.  He’s a talented guy, but he’s a really bad fit for this scheme.

5 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

Go back and watch every single big play NE made on the ground... you'll notice 49 either completely washed out of the play, or fail to get off a block. 

Looks like tarzan, plays like jane. It's not going to improve. Let miami overpay him next year. 

I never get tired of the Joel Buchsbaum sayings.  He obviously foresaw Tremaine Edmunds playing in the NFL.  

16 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I feel like a broken record on topics like this but Edmonds is the perfect example of the type of players this regime has drafted, particularly on defense:

1) undersized built to defend passing teams only

2) shows flashes of greatness at times but mostly invisible especially in big games

3) better suited to be playing in a 3-4 defense as an OLB pass rusher

With that said don't be surprised if he ends up on a different team down the road and flourishes but he's simply not a fit for whatever defensive scheme you want to call this crap under Frazier/McD and will continue to be a liability against teams that follow the Titans/Colts/Pats gameplans against us.

I think he’s a Will in a 4-3.  Let him start on one side of the field so that he can see the whole play in front of him and chase dudes down.  Don’t force him to make quick decisions when it’s clear he doesn’t have great instincts.  You don’t need a great athlete at MLB.  You need someone who can recognize a play and has a good first step.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gisele said:

He is the exact same player he was last year and the year before.  His game hasn't improved with his age.  I think he's old enough now that we can retire the "well, he's only ____yrs old".  He's a grown man and just isn't that good.

And it was never about raw "age" anyway.

It was really about "experience," and now he has quite a bit of that.

And I do agree; he hasn't really improved.  Looks like the same player.

Perhaps his hair isn't long enough !?!??!?

Edmunds and Milano are speedy, useful LBS. If our front is going to be pushed around by O-lines, they might give up yardage. Bottom line,  Hyde got victimized on Harris's long run and there were missed tackles on Harris's other long run Stephenson long run. You want to put the loss on Edmunds, it doesn’t explain the red zones failures in the 4th qtr. That's where I would start to fix this team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Edmunds and Milano are speedy, useful LBS. If our front is going to be pushed around by O-lines, they might give up yardage. Bottom line,  Hyde got victimized on Harris's long run and there were missed tackles on Harris's other long run Stephenson long run. You want to put the loss on Edmunds, it doesn’t explain the red zones failures in the 4th qtr. That's where I would start to fix this team.

It’s about more than that, though.  This should have been the easiest game of his career from an assignment perspective.  He didn’t have to worry about coverage.  He didn’t have to worry about misdirection plays or getting wiped out by pulling linemen.  He had one responsibility.  Fill your gap.

FWIW, I don’t think he was terrible, but he was far from perfect on a day where a more cerebral player could have been perfect.  This wasn’t Rodgers up there calling audibles.  It wasn’t Mahomes throwing no look passes or Brady making instant reads with pinpoint accuracy.  Hell, it wasn’t even the Colts with an elite line and RB.  It was Mac Jones handing the ball to his backs over and over and over.  It was an ugly rock fight which is what any good MLB should want.  Kuechly may have made 20 tackles in a game like that, but BB would never use that game plan against someone like him.

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

It’s about more than that, though.  This should have been the easiest game of his career from an assignment perspective.  He didn’t have to worry about coverage.  He didn’t have to worry about misdirection plays or getting wiped out by pulling linemen.  He had one responsibility.  Fill your gap.

FWIW, I don’t think he was terrible, but he was far from perfect on a day where a more cerebral player could have been perfect.  This wasn’t Rodgers up there calling audibles.  It wasn’t Mahomes throwing no look passes or Brady making instant reads with pinpoint accuracy.  Hell, it wasn’t even the Colts with an elite line and RB.  It was Mac Jones handing the ball to his backs over and over and over.  It was an ugly rock fight which is what any good MLB should want.  Kuechly may have made 20 tackles in a game like that, but BB would never use that game plan against someone like him.

I feel your frustration with the LBs in general. The problem is that TEs, Harry and that huge full back were getting to the 2nd level and our D-line was blocked by a talented O-line. The Bills stopped some runs early, but Edmunds didn't have his best game. I'm not excusing his performance, but he's an easy target. Did you hear Oliver,Star or Hughes's name mentioned last night. I thought Phillips and Poyer played well but Rousseau and Epenesa looked timid.

34 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Watched the play break down.  Oliver was in the guard/center gap.  He needs to take those two on.  Instead he engages the center.  The guard moves to the next level.  He pushed Edmunds to the left of the hash mark.  The back side guard is steam rolling Milano to the same area.  Hyde had to choose the far side where the run was going or the cut back.  He was too slow to react to that cut back.  If you look, the OT was blocking Wallace.  WR Harry had Epenessa pushed inside and the full back took out Dodson.  Breakdown starts when one does not execute.  Oliver takes the OG/C double team leaves Edmunds to fill the hole and Hyde to cover the outside.  Thanks to Brian Baldinder

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Watched the play break down.  Oliver was in the guard/center gap.  He needs to take those two on.  Instead he engages the center.  The guard moves to the next level.  He pushed Edmunds to the left of the hash mark.  The back side guard is steam rolling Milano to the same area.  Hyde had to choose the far side where the run was going or the cut back.  He was too slow to react to that cut back.  If you look, the OT was blocking Wallace.  WR Harry had Epenessa pushed inside and the full back took out Dodson.  Breakdown starts when one does not execute.  Oliver takes the OG/C double team leaves Edmunds to fill the hole and Hyde to cover the outside.  Thanks to Brian Baldinder

Great breakdown, Edmunds, Dodson or Hyde, should have made a play. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Showing your ignorance in fantastic fashion earns you style points. Glaring lack of understanding, not so much. 
I’ll type slowly so you may be able to comprehend. 
Applying

the 

5th 

year 

option

gives 

the 

team

one 

more 

season 

of

coaching

and 

growing

with

intent

to 

mold

this

rare

physical 

specimen

into 

a

HOF

game-changing

player.

If

unsuccessful,

he’s 

released

after 

next 

season

with 

no 

future

$$

obligations 

Ok, I’ll type like a normal human being so everyone else sees just how stupid you really are.  The 5th year option GUARANTEES you have to pay a player again. Which cost you $12.69MM next year, or you could slap either a transition tag on him, which as of 2021 was worth $12.7MM and gives you first right of refusal or you could put the franchise tag on him for $14.7MM.  So you committed $12.69MM of cap space for a career underachiever, to save next to nothing.  Now he has proved he’s not worth that and you are stuck, or you had the option to lock him down if he blew up with no risk, or work on a mid year contract for likely the same money if he was playing well.  So you took all the risk, for next to zero reward and now you are stuck.   

Ignorance is bliss, but only for the ignorant, the rest of us still can’t stand you.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:23 AM, beacon said:

How can they keep him at MLB? We have seen it game after game. It's because they traded up to get him and don't want to admit what a terrible move it was. No instincts, gets screened off all the time, no impact plays. No way they can pay him top $$$$. 

Trade him for OL

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Showing your ignorance in fantastic fashion earns you style points. Glaring lack of understanding, not so much. 
I’ll type slowly so you may be able to comprehend. 
Applying

the 

5th 

year 

option

gives 

the 

team

one 

more 

season 

of

coaching

and 

growing

with

intent

to 

mold

this

rare

physical 

specimen

into 

a

HOF

game-changing

player.

If

unsuccessful,

he’s 

released

after 

next 

season

with 

no 

future

$$

obligations 

Speaking of ignorance and also arrigance....

On 12/7/2021 at 5:08 PM, DCofNC said:

Ok, I’ll type like a normal human being so everyone else sees just how stupid you really are.  The 5th year option GUARANTEES you have to pay a player again. Which cost you $12.69MM next year, or you could slap either a transition tag on him, which as of 2021 was worth $12.7MM and gives you first right of refusal or you could put the franchise tag on him for $14.7MM.  So you committed $12.69MM of cap space for a career underachiever, to save next to nothing.  Now he has proved he’s not worth that and you are stuck, or you had the option to lock him down if he blew up with no risk, or work on a mid year contract for likely the same money if he was playing well.  So you took all the risk, for next to zero reward and now you are stuck.   

Ignorance is bliss, but only for the ignorant, the rest of us still can’t stand you.

Wow. I know you! - you’re Jethro Bodine, aren’t ya? Seems evident you only graduated “plum through the 6th Grade”..  1st, it isn’t your money, so quit yer damn crying. 2nd, his ‘22 salary is average for starting MLB’s. Should the Bills (no, son, not you..) decide by next season they can’t get all of what they need from him as our starter (read Buffalo Bills 4th year starting MLB, Pro Bowler and Defensive Captain), they’re under no further financial commitment 13 months from now. These, my prodigal son, are what the Bills wish to do with THEIR money and Their player in the real world. Hot-headed nincompoops screaming from the cheap seats aren’t invited to weigh in. Obviously, I didn’t type slow enough for this to sink in.. 3rd, you weren’t asked to vote for team captains and Pro Bowl nor decided who plays where and how often. NFL coaches, players and select voters do -thus rendering your witless ramblings.. well, witless -as befits a Jethro Bodine. 
I hope you’re able to follow this explanation. I don’t care to -ya know, type slow again..

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Would McD have the stones to play him outside next year. Maybe by some miracle he excels? He's already paid for.

I have to think this has been discussed at OBD as much as here at TBD. But doing so takes away his greatest aspect -covering the middle of the field on short throws. It’s in every teams’ playbook for Hot reads. WRs, TEs & RBs are always circling in this area. A couple Patriot* receivers made a multiple SB career out of it.  Edmunds length is freakish enough that many QBs no longer even attempt this, but his best attribute is his speed to go along with his unique frame. Do we all wish he hit like Jack Lambert? Read plays like Willie Lanier and be ever in the right spot like Dick Butkus? Of course. But none of those guys faced today’s game. It’s a passing 1st game today and that area of the Defense has been easy pickin’s since the West Coast Offense first reared it’s head. Tremaine brings a dimension perfectly suited to defend against this. 

I think the onus is on us the fans to accept it and be grateful he can take away this prevalent aspect of today’s game.

Now, being better at recognizing run schemes and keeping himself from being fooled in another direction is still a noticeable challenge, but this can be learned. Speed and gigantic reach can’t.

I would trade him this off season. He has value to some moron GM that will think they can get him to play better and he is still young. 

They can probably get a low first rounder or high second round pick. Maybe a player and a second round pick.  

If they give him a long term deal this off-season they are really stupid. Picking up the option made sense. He has still not proven he is worthy of a long term deal. Make him play the last year of his deal if you can't or don't want to trade him.

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

The wonderlic is easy on purpose. They want the athlete to do well. Failing means you have trouble reading and comprehending at a basic level. It is not an IQ test but one can assume if you score very low on wonderlic, then IQ is exceptionally low. 

I am not sure what you wrote is clear to me 😎

18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I have to think this has been discussed at OBD as much as here at TBD. But doing so takes away his greatest aspect -covering the middle of the field on short throws. It’s in every teams’ playbook for Hot reads. WRs, TEs & RBs are always circling in this area. A couple Patriot* receivers made a multiple SB career out of it.  Edmunds length is freakish enough that many QBs no longer even attempt this, but his best attribute is his speed to go along with his unique frame. Do we all wish he hit like Jack Lambert? Read plays like Willie Lanier and be ever in the right spot like Dick Butkus? Of course. But none of those guys faced today’s game. It’s a passing 1st game today and that area of the Defense has been easy pickin’s since the West Coast Offense first reared it’s head. Tremaine brings a dimension perfectly suited to defend against this. 

I think the onus is on us the fans to accept it and be grateful he can take away this prevalent aspect of today’s game.

Now, being better at recognizing run schemes and keeping himself from being fooled in another direction is still a noticeable challenge, but this can be learned. Speed and gigantic reach can’t.

Let's for a moment assume he is as good at pass coverage in the middle of the field as you suggest. How did that help against NE, Tenn, and how do you think it would help if they play the Colts again?. Teams can adjust to what he does poorly. 

I have been a long time skeptic of Edmunds and got fooled once again with a few decent games this year. Once again last week he showed he is a truly awful LB. You can't pay him Bobby Wagner money and have him suck at half his job. If he wasn't a first round pick and Beane didn't want to look bad for trading up to get him, he'd be jettisoned this off season. 

As for picking up the option, I 100% agree it was the right move then. Have no issues with that decision.

As for moving to OLB I would love to see him play there a few games. With his speed I think he could be a terror rushing the passer. The argument against that is that he has not shown any pass rushing skill. But that is rushing from the middle which is wholey different than from the outside.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I would trade him this off season. He has value to some moron GM that will think they can get him to play better and he is still young. 

They can probably get a low first rounder or high second round pick. Maybe a player and a second round pick.  

If they give him a long term deal this off-season they are really stupid. Picking up the option made sense. He has still not proven he is worthy of a long term deal. Make him play the last year of his deal if you can't or don't want to trade him.

I think he'll be here next year in that last year.

I would like to believe Beane is shrewd enough not to offer him a new K, but I don't know.

50 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

We'll see what kind of "contract dimension" he'll bring after next year is over. I doubt he gets resigned. There's gotta be multiple MLB's out there who can both pass cover and stop the run. 

27 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Let's for a moment assume he is as good at pass coverage in the middle of the field as you suggest. How did that help against NE, Tenn, and how do you think it would help if they play the Colts again?. Teams can adjust to what he does poorly. 

I have been a long time skeptic of Edmunds and got fooled once again with a few decent games this year. Once again last week he showed he is a truly awful LB. You can't pay him Bobby Wagner money and have him suck at half his job. If he wasn't a first round pick and Beane didn't want to look bad for trading up to get him, he'd be jettisoned this off season. 

As for picking up the option, I 100% agree it was the right move then. Have no issues with that decision.

As for moving to OLB I would love to see him play there a few games. With his speed I think he could be a terror rushing the passer. The argument against that is that he has not shown any pass rushing skill. But that is rushing from the middle which is wholey different than from the outside.

Thank you. I've been saying this for 2 years. In this so called passing league there sure are alot of afc teams who like to run right at Edmunds. And when that happens it's like we're playing with 10.

50 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You think someone is giving up a first round pick for the right to pay Edmunds $13,000,000?  Beane will be lucky if he can find anyone to take him without throwing in a pick as part of a salary dump.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Billl said:

You think someone is giving up a first round pick for the right to pay Edmunds $13,000,000?  Beane will be lucky if he can find anyone to take him without throwing in a pick as part of a salary dump.

You're right. No one is touching him. The league is well aware of his flaws. The only short term solution would be stick 49 on the outside and let Klein be your MLB against run heavy teams. Scrub the nickel and go true 4-3. When you face opposition without a competent RB, go back to the 4-2-5. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely would like to see what we could get for him in a trade. He can not play middle. Has poor instincts and he’s not physical enough at the point of attack. Only thing that’s been saving him is his age. That’s why I think the Bills don’t want to move on from him because they believe he’s still developing. He’s a good athlete but he’s not a middle LB.

On 12/7/2021 at 2:56 PM, Nitro said:

Baldy did mention that linemen were not having to double and we’re getting to the linebackers, but he did not say that the run was Oliver’s fault.  He did not even mention Oliver by name.  He pointed out that every block the Patriots made was effective and that tee got “creased” - which we did.  It’s here if anyone wants to watch it.

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Agree. He’s can’t be traded at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.