RBs or Lack Of

billsfan_34

Lets face it, our backs are not NFL caliber. Neither Singletary or Moss can hit the hole, get to the edge or break tackles. Moss, does on occasion, run over a few safeties here and there.

I thought it was a big mistake this past offseason not getting a big bruising back with some burst, and tonight proved how bad we are at the position. 

We gave up 200 plus on the ground, and couldn’t run at all. This is on Beane.

Playoffs??? Playoffs??? (Jim Mora).

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Thing is that they've tried. They've addressed the issue in the draft and it's just not really working out. Be it scouting or our ability to develop or both, something's not working so I agree it's on Beane. Could have easily had Javonte Williams as far as the draft goes, he looks great. Moss is such a disappointment. I hate to admit it and wanted him to succeed but outside of some toughness he just looks so slow and painfully average out there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Not saying the Rbs cannot be upgraded by Contact happens behind the line al lot.  And for some reason we don’t like to run outside much.  

We dont run outside because the RB’s lack speed to get to the edge. When holes open, our backs cannot hit them. Every RB gets tackled for a loss here and there, but the good ones make up for it. 

8 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Thing is that they've tried. They've addressed the issue in the draft and it's just not really working out. Be it scouting or our ability to develop or both, something's not working so I agree it's on Beane. Could have easily had Javonte Williams as far as the draft goes, he looks great. Moss is such a disappointment. I hate to admit it and wanted him to succeed but outside of some toughness he just looks so slow and painfully average out there.

Both are subpar. Beane had a lovefest for Singletary and Moss would not even be value as a 6th round- he looks slow and fat.

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

We dont run outside because the RB’s lack speed to get to the edge. When holes open, our backs cannot hit them. Every RB gets tackled for a loss here and there, but the good ones make up for it. 

Breida, jet action hand offs to wrs.   I don’t agree. 

what happened to jet action?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, motorj said:

This isn't a running team, never was and never will be, until there's a regime change

It doesn't have to be a running team, though. It has to be a team with some effective running plays around our A+ QB and above average WR depth. We don't have that, there's no need to sugarcoat or fake like we do at this point. We just don't have a dynamic player at RB. Old Matt Breida isn't really it, we all knew that, even before the fumble tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Not saying the Rbs cannot be upgraded by Contact happens behind the line al lot.  And for some reason we don’t like to run outside much.  

Our backs are too slow to get to the edge with the exception of Breida

Edited by VaMilBill
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, mattynh said:

We don’t run outside much because our RBs lack of speed.  Ironically, if Moss would’ve just made a simple cut outside to the right, he would’ve had a walk in TD.  

I like Beane, but he whiffed on both 3rd round RBs & compounded the problem by not addressing those mistakes this past draft/off season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

They've got two backs that are fine if there's a hole.

But there are no holes.

One of them is good enough to make his own holes in short yardage.

No.

They f...ing suck worse then the oline.  If they got cut no one would care.  

If Feliciano or Ford were cut they would be back ups minimum somewhere else.  

Did you see what the Titans rolled out there against NE last week and what those bums did. 

Essentially Tennessee's 4th and 5th RBs I think Foreman had been unemployed ran for over 100 as did Hilliard. 

Our RBs are the WORST position on the team.  Horrible.   

We are a northern outdoor stadium team built for playing in a dome. I swear that field house does more harm than good sometimes.  How we constantly relinquish home field advantage due to our pass happy scheme makes no sense. It’s Buffalo and until there is a dome built (big if) we need to be prepared for crappy weather. We are not, and tonight and the Colts game shows it.
Our remaining games at home will likely be wins since those teams are hot garbage but that shouldn’t take away from the fact that the Bills aren’t built to win in their own stadium. 
frustrating. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

They've got two backs that are fine if there's a hole.

But there are no holes.

One of them is good enough to make his own holes in short yardage.

While I don’t think Singletary is good, I think he could be serviceable with a better o-line. His yac is good enough and he has been receiving 1st contact near the LOS. The whole draft should be focused on the o-line and a CB for an insurance policy for White. 

Kerryon Johnson is still out there. If Kalen Ballage can play in the NFL right now, Kerryon Johnson can play in the NFL right now. He's faster than Singlemoss and only has 3 fumbles through 3 years - better rate than Singlemoss and Breida. 24 years old, 4.3 ypc in the NFL. What am I missing on this guy? He might be better than any back currently on our roster.

4 hours ago, Nelius said:

They've tried???  No, they have tried - on a budget.

We need to spend more than a 3rd round pick on a RB!

You might say RBs are a "dime a dozen" but you get what you pay for.

When your QB is your best runner, you have a problem. It was a glaring problem Monday night.

Bills lack of a running game is much to do with their personnel up front and scheme than their RB’s. Zack Moss should never touch the field but Singletary and Breida can do the job. 

New England doesn’t have stud RB’s but they dominate at the point of attack up front. That’s where we lack and they also don’t try to establish the run game running out of shotgun, that’s scheme. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Im not sure what your watching, but these backs are not “fine”. They are epically bad.

I can't say they are that bad because the line gets no push and doesn't open up running lanes.

The truth is I don't know because the run blocking is garbage.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Andy1 said:

If your backs are slow, they better be powerful. If they are small, they better be McCoy like elusive and quick. Ours are neither. Oline needs replacements too. 

All along I've thought Moss and Singletary were adequate. No more. They're both backup quality, as is Breida and the entire offensive line, except Morse and Brown. I thought the Bills were ready this year, but they're not. 

7 hours ago, motorj said:

This isn't a running team, never was and never will be, until there's a regime change

I completely agree. The question that needs to be asked, imo, is Why? Why have we refused to acquire better OLinemen and a big Back who can catch and block? It’s not like our OL is exceptional in passpro. Take away Allen’s Houdini-esque escapability, and all of them sans Brown need upgrading.

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

It doesn't have to be a running team, though. It has to be a team with some effective running plays around our A+ QB and above average WR depth. We don't have that, there's no need to sugarcoat or fake like we do at this point. We just don't have a dynamic player at RB. Old Matt Breida isn't really it, we all knew that, even before the fumble tonight.

This well-known, glaring team weakness is on McBeane and has been since they handed the future to Allen. How is it that EVERYONE aside from these two know this, yet they’ve purposely done nothing about it? IF there are any brawlers on the team who could raise the current level of OL play, they’re currently playing on the Dline.

5 hours ago, Nelius said:

Kerryon Johnson is still out there. If Kalen Ballage can play in the NFL right now, Kerryon Johnson can play in the NFL right now. He's faster than Singlemoss and only has 3 fumbles through 3 years - better rate than Singlemoss and Breida. 24 years old, 4.3 ypc in the NFL. What am I missing on this guy? He might be better than any back currently on our roster.

For Gods Sake -and continued employment @ OBD, Git-er-Done Brandon!

They need to stop with the heavy rotation.  None of the players, especially the RBs, can get a feel for the game and what the opposing players are doing.  Hence, we never see a RB get comfortable and make good back side cuts.  

It doesn’t help that the offensive line is  slow and unable to execute any basic blocking scheme.  But overall I think the coaches take the rotation of players, so that we have fresh legs, to the extreme. And very few

players can get into a rhythm and even consider taking a game over.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.