I'm afraid of the refs

JerseyBills

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I read an article from a mainstream non sports outlet recently and they gushed over the ratings a NE/TB Superbowl would do compared to all others.

Although Dallas vs Buffalo was 3rd best. 

Bottom line, I'm worried the NFL has this in mind , I mean the storylines would be endless. The ratings a once in a lifetime occurrence.  

It would not surprise me the least bit to see the refs heavily favor NE in a gm where a couple of holding calls could make a huge dent. 

Edit - here's the link , it was from Yahoo.

https://sports.yahoo.com/are-you-ready-for-a-bucs-patriots-super-bowl-165706199.html

Good.

Go huddle in a corner with a blanket and thumb in your mouth.

I can’t believe people really buy into this crap.

6 hours ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. The refs will always call some BS and try to keep things close, at least. Getting further than that into Vegas lines, favorites, steering narratives, etc… who knows? But we have a QB good enough to overcome those penalties now. He’s already done that multiple times. 

Did you watch the Squeelers vs Dirty Birds?

The Refs had their hands in helping Lamont secure a win or at least a tie .........but some how the Ravens managed to shoot themselves in the foot ;)

The thing I don’t understand….if some of you guys really feel that the refs are out make sure a couple select teams win, why in hell do you follow the NFL? If for even a second I felt the league was rigged I’d dump the sport in a hurry. I’m not about to watch a league that has the same credibility, or even less, than the WWF.

Could one of you conspiracy theorists please explain why you are a fan of this league? 

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

image.png.856c898b3b928373ed9b0cde2e506772.png

The key is to be friendly with the refs,

#1 Help refs pick up flags

#2 Offer free coffee at half time and a ride to the airport

#3 Compliment their keen eyesight & general knowledge of the game

#4 Remember to smile when bad calls ruin the game

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Let me calm the OP down.

The Bills game on MNF is not going to be ruined by pro-NE bias as part of a master Super Bowl conspiracy plot.

Until recently, I agreed. But think of the incredible sums of money being bet now on every game. The NFL itself doesn't need to be corrupt. All it takes is one organization to contact key refs in key games and offer a deal. Maybe not even a very nice deal. Have you read anything about organized crime? NFL refs should be in a witness-protection type program. 

I don't think there's a wide conspiracy to fix games. But I suspect that many refs have been persuaded to look for opportunities to ensure the spread is covered (or not covered). So much money is involved, and it's so easy to get away with, that I think it's naïve to think that deliberate bias isn't a major factor in today's game. If World Cup soccer can be corrupted, so can the NFL. 

Sometimes paranoids have real enemies. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, finn said:

Until recently, I agreed. But think of the incredible sums of money being bet now on every game. The NFL itself doesn't need to be corrupt. All it takes is one organization to contact key refs in key games and offer a deal. Maybe not even a very nice deal. Have you read anything about organized crime? NFL refs should be in a witness-protection type program. 

I don't think there's a wide conspiracy to fix games. But I suspect that many refs have been persuaded to look for opportunities to ensure the spread is covered (or not covered). So much money is involved, and it's so easy to get away with, that I think it's naïve to think that deliberate bias isn't a major factor in today's game. If World Cup soccer can be corrupted, so can the NFL. 

Why would you even watch the NFL if that’s the way you feel?

Just now, Beast said:

Why would you even watch the NFL if that’s the way you feel?

It's not a feeling, it's a suspicion; there's a difference. I watch because the refs can't determine the outcomes, they can only influence it. I don't think the players, coaches, or even most refs are biased. But I do think some refs have been given a powerful incentive to see or not see holding, say, on critical plays. Again, it's just too easy to tip the balance if one is inclined to. Taunting, roughing the passer, Offside, pass interference... All judgment calls. 

It's much more pleasant to think all NFL refs are just ordinary joes doing their job with perfect integrity. I don't blame you for sticking with that belief. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm afraid of the refs

Be afraid of the Bills not playing well enough.

If we loses, that'll be why.

35 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

yeah I am not a big conspiracy guy but I am starting to think points like the OPs aren't to far fetched, hopefully the Bills will be up big in this game and it won't matter but if its close at the end....

They are extremely, wildly far-fetched.

You're saying it's not far-fetched for the NFL to risk it's multi-billion dollar industry for like a ten or twenty percent bump in ratings? If that? Ratings are huge on the SB no matter who plays.

Talk about killing the goose that lays the golden eggs! It would be absolutely nuts to even think about it. What the owners want is stability over the decades. This would be a pretty sure way to avoid that for a miniscule possible gain.

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

The casuals would eat a TB/NE Superbowl up. They're thinking $$$ , not about the real fans

The casuals go to Super Bowl parties anyway. The teams don't matter, it's the occasion.

And the small extra $$$ they gained by doing this are vastly dwarfed by the year-on-year-on-year profits they would be risking. It simply does not make sense.

We can't control what happens. We should be used to this by now 

I did read somewhere that the Pats are 2nd in awarded 1st downs via penalty at 2.5 a game behind Atl and NYG at 2.6. 

They are also 1st in not awarding opponents 1st downs via penalty.

Conclusion? Refs turn a blind eye on the Patriot defense, especially on 3rd downs. 

8 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

But it could be ruined by the officials for no reason at all

That paranoia is justified, when it comes to officials.

All goes back to....."Just give it to 'em."

….. don’t forget the “tuck-rule” that got the cheaters to their first SB

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

The thing I don’t understand….if some of you guys really feel that the refs are out make sure a couple select teams win, why in hell do you follow the NFL? If for even a second I felt the league was rigged I’d dump the sport in a hurry. I’m not about to watch a league that has the same credibility, or even less, than the WWF.

Could one of you conspiracy theorists please explain why you are a fan of this league? 

Probably because deep in their hearts they want to believe that their team will at some point benefit from the BS calls that favor opponents. 

The only game this year where I legit think it cost us the game was the jags game. You could make an argument for the titans game too, but the jags game is what I really remember. Lots and lots of flags in that game and refs not calling multiple false starts on the jags. 

For the refs to help push the Pats to the superbowl, they'd litterally have to call every game there way from now until February, which just sounds crazy 

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Except the fan polls done heavily favored a Buffalo - Arizona Superbowl

The fan polls didn't include bucs-pats as an option. So we don't know. 

50 minutes ago, finn said:

You have to be naive to the point of being a dunce. 

After what happened in the NBA and Soccer, fans should just ASSUME it's rigged after every bad call. 

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I read an article from a mainstream non sports outlet recently and they gushed over the ratings a NE/TB Superbowl would do compared to all others.

Bottom line, I'm worried the NFL has this in mind , I mean the storylines would be endless. The ratings a once in a lifetime occurrence.  

It would not surprise me the least bit to see the refs heavily favor NE in a gm where a couple of holding calls could make a huge dent. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/are-you-ready-for-a-bucs-patriots-super-bowl-165706199.html

I’ve said this since the Pats were 1-3 and was laughed at by nearly every poster. 

The laughers aren’t laughing now, but still in denial over what the NFL actually is.

50 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

The fan polls didn't include bucs-pats as an option. So we don't know. 

You have to be naive to the point of being a dunce. 

After what happened in the NBA and Soccer, fans should just ASSUME it's rigged after every bad call. 

Naive to the point of being a dunce. That describes 90% of NFL fans. Who think this isn’t heavily heavily scripted entertainment 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

We’ve been dealing with the refs all season. They’ve been bad to the point of corruption. If the refs have an ulterior motive not favoring us, it makes our victory more difficult , but not impossible. 

I agree , in all my years of watching NFL football , this year has been very exasperating watching the Officials  ruin games. Its a shame that as a fan, your mindset is as much consumed with the officiating as it is hoping one's team plays well, wins.. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, finn said:

It's not a feeling, it's a suspicion; there's a difference. I watch because the refs can't determine the outcomes, they can only influence it. I don't think the players, coaches, or even most refs are biased. But I do think some refs have been given a powerful incentive to see or not see holding, say, on critical plays. Again, it's just too easy to tip the balance if one is inclined to. Taunting, roughing the passer, Offside, pass interference... All judgment calls. 

It's much more pleasant to think all NFL refs are just ordinary joes doing their job with perfect integrity. I don't blame you for sticking with that belief. 

There's a difference?

You "suspect" the league is fixed. 

Whatever. Same stance. If you suspect the leafue is fixed and contiinue to watch it and spend money on it....

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Probably because deep in their hearts they want to believe that their team will at some point benefit from the BS calls that favor opponents. 

So then they rooted for a team that won a fixed league. If that would bring those fans enjoyment, I guess whatever.

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

There's a difference?

You "suspect" the league is fixed. 

Whatever. Same stance. If you suspect the leafue is fixed and contiinue to watch it and spend money on it....

So then they rooted for a team that won a fixed league. If that would bring those fans enjoyment, I guess whatever.

They seem to happy over in Patriot Land over the last 20 years. 😂

1 hour ago, finn said:

This.  It isn’t new in sports.  It’s been proven to happen in the worlds most popular sport.  It been proven to happen in the worlds 3rd most popular sport.  Why not football?  Because it’s more sacred?  Because it’s mean to be played outside in the elements and is a manly sport?  Because the refs have no reason to steer outcomes in certain direction (except millions of dollars)?

it’s just ridiculously naive to rule out that this could be happening when it’s happened in other major sports.  

My biggest issue with officiating:  the nfl is a multi billion dollar company that has the resources to fix the majority of their issue.  They can add cameras.  They can add officials.  They can change the process of how the game is officiated and who makes decisions and when.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BassToMouth said:

I’ve said this since the Pats were 1-3 and was laughed at by nearly every poster. 

The laughers aren’t laughing now, but still in denial over what the NFL actually is.

Naive to the point of being a dunce. That describes 90% of NFL fans. Who think this isn’t heavily heavily scripted entertainment 

I don't agree it's heavily scripted, except in the narratives fed to the media and broadcast crews; I do think there's collusion there to make money and, ideally, influence outcomes. But even if the league isn't concerned about referee corruption, it should at least be concerned about the appearance of corruption, because that will hit them in the wallet. I don't see that concern, nor even concern that many of the refs are incompetent. They're playing with fire on both counts. The NFL is wildly popular now, but it could go south very fast. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some numbers:

121 officials, seven per game, 272 regular season games, 1,800 NFL employees. 

96 million views, last season's Super Bowl was down but still the No. 1 sports event draw. 

$15.3 billion - 2019 revenue, by far the biggest sports draw in the country. The NFL has steadily increased revenue every year since 2001, with a logical drop in 2020 due to the pandemic. 

While human nature is human nature — I'm sure there is some bad behavior on an isolated scale — but what would happen to this goldmine if widespread game fixing was unearthed? It would more than likely be a tremendous blow to the millions of fans everywhere. 

Conspiracies take three things to succeed. 

• A compelling reason to start a conspiracy.
  • A high number of competent conspirators. 
  • An ability to keep said conspiracy under wraps 365 days a year in a world where everything is leaked.

While it is appealing to see Belichick vs. Brady, my instincts say fans want something different. "Anybody but the Patriots". 

Once one's head is wrapped around a conspiracy, logic and fact will rarely persuade. It's easy to see trends that favor a massive plot and even easier to ignore trends pointing against it. It's why we, as fans, regardless of team, believe the refs are against us. 

Conspiracies are easy to believe in. And they're near impossible to pull off. 

12 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

NBC pregame show talked about how “the path is clear to a Chiefs-Patriots AFC championship game”

PLEASE GOD let this be posted in the Bill's locker room!!!

4 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Some numbers:

96 million views, last season's Super Bowl was down but still the No. 1 sports event draw. 

$15.3 billion - 2019 revenue, by far the biggest sports draw in the country. The NFL has steadily increased revenue every year since 2001, with a logical drop in 2020 due to the pandemic. 

While human nature is human nature — I'm sure there is some bad behavior on an isolated scale — but what would happen to this goldmine if widespread game fixing was unearthed? It would more than likely be a tremendous blow to the millions of fans everywhere. 

• An ability to keep said conspiracy under wraps 365 days a year in a world where everything is leaked.

While it is appealing to see Belichick vs. Brady, my instincts say fans want something different. "Anybody but the Patriots". 

Once one's head is wrapped around a conspiracy, logic and fact will rarely persuade. It's easy to see trends that favor a massive plot and even easier to ignore trends pointing against it. It's why we, as fans, regardless of team, believe the refs are against us. 

The fact that you went to that much trouble to debunk a potential conspiracy tells me one thing.

There's still a chance it could be true.... 😉

Oh, and....  "back and to the left.... back and to the left"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

It's a cool storyline.  I think they could spin a KC rematch or Buffalo redemption arc if they really wanted to.

Any "conspiracy" would likely favor us this season. Yes - Pats/Bucs would be the best SB matchup from a ratings standpoint. But the TV contracts don't expire until 2033 so that is mostly moot. The Bills are, however, negotiating with NYS for a new stadium. Having the Bills go on a run could result in more interest from non-diehard Giants fans in Upstate NY and make the state ponying up lots of cash more palatable.

The refs aren't going to be the reason the Bill lose tonight, don't make the playoffs, etc if those scenarios pan out.

And while I'm sure the NFL league offices would definitely prefer a Bucs/Pats SB there's no guarantees it happens and officiating is going to have very little to do with who makes a run come January.

16 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

PLEASE GOD let this be posted in the Bill's locker room!!!

The fact that you went to that much trouble to debunk a potential conspiracy tells me one thing.

There's still a chance it could be true.... 😉

Oh, and....  "back and to the left.... back and to the left"

It's a lot more logical to believe there were two shooters than some widespread scheme to fix the entire sport of football. 

10 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

It's a lot more logical to believe there were two shooters than some widespread scheme to fix the entire sport of football. 

Absolutely more logical - totally agree!!

but... some folks really need an active conspiracy in their lives to keep themselves warm at night.

dog puppy GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Some numbers:

Conspiracies are actually really common and happen much more than most realize

Go look up how many people, businesses, etc have been found guilty of conspiring. Whether it's to defraud customers or to commit other crimes, it happens, and it happens quite often. 

The people that use the "conspiracy theory" or "tin foil hat" labels are usually the same people that have been duped over and over again on numerous things, and have trusted news outlets and the like that have been exposed in recent years as being corrupt and pushing propaganda.

The NFL has admitted they are entertainment in court, so I usually don't take these professional sports leagues as serious as I maybe once did when I was younger and more naive to how the global machine operates. Teams get pushed in certain situations, and that means others will be negatively impacted when that happens.

Let's hope the Bills get their turn and we get to enjoy the fun and excitement which ends with us finally holding up the Lombardi. That's all anyone can do

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Conspiracies are actually really common and happen much more than most realize

Go look up how many people, businesses, etc have been found guilty of conspiring. Whether it's to defraud customers or to commit other crimes, it happens, and it happens quite often. 

The people that use the "conspiracy theory" or "tin foil hat" labels are usually the same people that have been duped over and over again on numerous things, and have trusted news outlets and the like that have been exposed in recent years as being corrupt and pushing propaganda.

The NFL has admitted they are entertainment in court, so I usually don't take these professional sports leagues as serious as I maybe once did when I was younger and more naive to how the global machine operates. Teams get pushed in certain situations, and that means others will be negatively impacted when that happens.

Let's hope the Bills get their turn and we get to enjoy the fun and excitement which ends with us finally holding up the Lombardi. That's all anyone can do

Ya I also don't want the Bills or any team to get the Lombardi because of sketchy calls or because of popularity. 

I never said it's going to happen but this article quoting billionaire tv execs and just the fact they mention and are drooling over a Brady vs Belicheck SB raises a red flag. This game would give them a clear path to the division and potential 1 seed. 

Just hope we aren't talking about the zebras tonight . Whether it's for or against us. 

I don't think you need to believe in a mega-conspiracy (NFL: "let's rig the calls to try to get the Pats and/or Bucs into the SB") to believe that there are subtle things that - in a league that's achieved maybe a bit more of that parity than they'd actually wanted - give certain teams or players a slight edge. And given that parity, a slight edge is often a difference maker. Officials are human. The Patriots are clever, even when they're not out and out cheating.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

wow....this again??

Dude, this has been covered over and over.  The TV contracts are bought and paid for by the networks for another few years.  The "once in a lifetime" ratings won't change anything.  Also, the ad spots have already been sold by the networks for this year's SB (at record prices).   The ratings for this SB won't matter for this year, no matter who plays.

Ask Terry (he, like all the owners, would have to have signed off on this scheme) if he is worried about the conspiracy that consumes you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.