Week 12: Bills at Saints on Thanksgiving

YoloinOhio

On to New Orleans.  On to New Orleans.  On to New Orleans.  Game is over they got beat for 1 million reasons.  Expect alot of runs from New Orleans.  Play balanced on offense.  Buffalo should win.  Super Bowl isnt won or lost in November.

Edited by Mat68

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

How much longer do they trot McKenzie out there for kick/punt returns? That fumble was mid 2000 era Bills bad. Just a laughable play….. his fumbling/muffing issues in the return game aren’t going away.

I like McKenzie a lot as a player, but messing with the return game this off-season seemed like a foolish decision then, and it hasn’t unfolded well so far. I don’t even think he’s that bad, but we just had such an automatically good thing going. Was saving some $ and the roster spot really worth it?

Good teams get beat, and badly.  Learn from it move on.  Still feel it comes down to Bills and Chiefs.  Buffalo plays well on thanksgiving.  They beat The Saints they are 7-4.  In 2 weeks they beat the Patriots 8-4. Long way to go.  No need to jump off the bandwagon.  

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Wentz was serviceable. I don't see anything that screams elite or franchise. The Colts beat the Bills via their run game, defense, and a huge special teams play. 

I never said he was elite. I said he’s played well this year. In response to someone who said he was trash.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, fallen627 said:

I like McKenzie a lot as a player, but messing with the return game this off-season seemed like a foolish decision then, and it hasn’t unfolded well so far. I don’t even think he’s that bad, but we just had such an automatically good thing going. Was saving some $ and the roster spot really worth it?

I feel like every returner fumbles at some point during a season and then fans jump on him. I can't get too worked up about this. It was a fluke play - he slipped on a very wet surface while cutting. On every subsequent return, he ran it straight up the gut with no cuts.

More broadly, he's their only option at this point. There are no miracle solutions at the returner position in the pool of street free agents. So far McKenzie has one fumble and one muffed punt (which worked out to the Bills benefit because by recovering it in the EZ they got it at the 20 instead of the 8 yard line). My guess is that's about league average. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Good teams get beat, and badly.  Learn from it move on.  Still feel it comes down to Bills and Chiefs.  Buffalo plays well on thanksgiving.  They beat The Saints they are 7-4.  In 2 weeks they beat the Patriots 8-4. Long way to go.  No need to jump off the bandwagon.  

The biggest thing is all the “contending” teams that play each other in the next few weeks  - losses will mount everywhere, the afc is wide open. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I think they win, and the Bills have 11 days to get their act together for the home stretch. 

If they lose, they can still pull it together, win the division and so make the playoffs, but the self-analysis will need to deeper, and it will come amidst intense media and fan criticism. It wouldn't be a pleasant 11 days for them or us. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The biggest thing is all the “contending” teams that play each other in the next few weeks  - losses will mount everywhere, the afc is wide open. 

Just looked through the remaining schedule for each week, and wow.. you aren't lying.  Every week has about 4-5 matchups of contending AFC teams vs contending AFC teams. 

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Just looked through the remaining schedule for each week, and wow.. you aren't lying.  Every week has about 4-5 matchups of contending AFC teams vs contending AFC teams. 

Yes...playing with the Playoff Machine at ESPN...even though it doesn't have week 18 as yet...has scenarios where every current contender is eliminated by just dropping a couple of key games here or there.

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yup. 

I see the Bills getting to 10-6 with one game being a toss-up: the Monday night game vs. NE. I think they lose to TB and NE on the road and win the rest. I also think NE may well lose to the Colts in Indy, which would make that Monday night game determinative of the division winner. Of course, as we well know crazy things can happen every week. I do have a good feeling about the NO game, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something about that team. I haven't seen much of them and they have a couple of good wins. Who is going to start at QB?

Start to play with balance or this team is going nowhere. It’s that simple. Regardless of what the clueless Jeremy White or Mile Schopp think…the only thing you do by being one dimensional (on purpose) is help the other team. Start running and being less predictable, or forget this season. I’d walk into Dabols office today and say run the ball or we will use the 11 days to find an OC that will. No room for grey area.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Tighten up the discipline.  Too many lazy penalties.  I foresee a win on Thanksgiving.

adding to your post I would add Do Your Job to the best of your ability out there Men ... I think the Bills know too how humongous a game this is in light of their recent losses. Its sink or swim time mateys.

The fanbase is losing its swagger we need Wins....Bring swagger  back #17 ...I trust he wants to as desperately as any Bills fan now will he is the question.......................

m

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

The saints are coached as well as anyone in the league. And they can run the ball with anyone. After last week, it’s all out there. The Saints are going to make the Bills prove they can stop the run or else they won’t ever stop running it. Whatever bull#### went on yesterday better be fixed today, otherwise we are going to get drilled.

• Like (+1) 1

We are absolutely going to get bullied and get our a$$es kicked by the Saints on "Drew Brees Night" in New Orleans.   

Philly just ran for 242 yards on the Saints D.   They won't allow anything like that to happen against them again.  I can't see the Bills offense moving the ball well at all.

After reading through this thread a lot of you are attempting to put the blame on that blowout loss to the Colts on the HC...McD doesn't call the offensive or defensive plays.

While not being able to stop the run at all against the Titans... and now the Colts tells me the defense has some serious scheme limitations. Staying in Nickle defense all game while being gashed like that was more than foolish.

Star was in the Titans game and that Bills defense still gave up 143 rushing yards on 20 attempts, 3 TDs to Derrick Henry.

At the same time, what the hell happened to the #1 scoring offense? Suddenly the best WR in the NFL last season along with a QB in MVP talk can't score more than 6 points on the 28th ranked Jags defense?

This Buffalo high powered, high scoring prolific offense can't figure out how to beat a "cover 2 shell" defense...even against a crappy team like the Jags?

The Buffalo Bills 6 points scored against a #28th ranked Jags defense this offense should have destroyed...

Something is going on with this team...and it starts with the offense.

If the Bills offense scores first and keeps passing, scoring on the Colts... they forget about running the ball and go into passing mode which actually fits what that Buffalo defense does best. 

15 points against a 20th or so ranked Colts defense this offense should have destroyed with their passing game. Allen and Diggs were still out there, Sanders is still out there, as was Knox, Davis and Beese. 

If the Bills offensive line can hold a block for two seconds the Bills should move to a passing scheme that allows the QB to get the ball out quicker and as the opponent moves up to stop that, it should allow the mid to deep passes open up. 

If I'm McD, I'd start thinking about relieving the Bills OC from his duties, game planning, play calling. Something needs to change as this offense has far, far to much talent on this offense to be shut down by any particular offensive scheme. 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, zow2 said:

We are absolutely going to get bullied and get our a$$es kicked by the Saints on "Drew Brees Night" in New Orleans.   

Philly just ran for 242 yards on the Saints D.   They won't allow anything like that to happen against them again.  I can't see the Bills offense moving the ball well at all.

All the "good thing there's another game in a few days" thinking is flawed imo. The Bills are reeling at the moment, and it's hard to see them getting their act together in such a short period against a team well equipped to do the same thing to us that Indy did.

Add in another potential offensive struggle against a usually stout Saints D, and it could be a long Thanksgiving evening.

Sure as hell hope I'm wrong

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

So the Saints won't allow it to happen again but we will?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Gonna be tough to regularly coach/scheme your way out of being outmatched on both lines. 

Exactly.

It's hard to hammer Beane for this personnel situation because he's been dumping huge draft capital into trench players.  A.J., Ed, Rousseau, Boogie, Ford, Spencer etc.  but until the lines get more stout it's hard to scheme around weak line play.

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

So the Saints won't allow it to happen again but we will?

This is a rebound team, the Saints are gonna get smacked in the teeth and they know it.   I'm still openly pleading to Daboll to start trying our RB's 7 yards deep, can't he see the dancing at the line is partially due to our RB's not being deep enough in the backfield to be full speed when they hit the line?  Especially Moss, the dude is a bowling ball but we're not using him that way at all.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

At the same time, what the hell happened to the #1 scoring offense? Suddenly the best WR in the NFL last season along with a QB in MVP talk can't score more than 6 points on the 28th ranked Jags defense?

I'm not going to blame the offense for the loss yesterday but something is definitely still off. We had a drive yesterday where Breida was running well. All of a sudden we take him out for Moss and the drive stalls out. I don't understand why Daboll hasn't figured it out yet. Let our speedy RB punish defenses that drop everyone back into coverage. Then use play action, jet sweeps, and pre-snap misdirection to make defenses hesitate. What happened to McKenzie? We used him successfully on jet sweeps against the Jets and suddenly those vanished again yesterday.

Every time the offense makes some progress Daboll goes back to the same old shotgun snap/long developing route offense that defenses have figured out how to stop. The first drive we did nothing but short passes and runs and it was a good looking drive until the stupid false start. And we inexplicably got away from that strategy for the rest of the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

On to New Orleans.  On to New Orleans.  On to New Orleans.  Game is over they got beat for 1 million reasons.  Expect alot of runs from New Orleans.  Play balanced on offense.  Buffalo should win.  Super Bowl isnt won or lost in November.

It isn't, but hopes and dreams that are high in September wilt and die in the chill of November.  I hope our dreams aren't wilting and dying although it feels like it at the moment.

I hope we show up to play but based on the season so far that is far from a given.

Go BILLS !!

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not going to blame the offense for the loss yesterday but something is definitely still off. We had a drive yesterday where Breida was running well. All of a sudden we take him out for Moss and the drive stalls out. I don't understand why Daboll hasn't figured it out yet. Let our speedy RB punish defenses that drop everyone back into coverage. Then use play action, jet sweeps, and pre-snap misdirection to make defenses hesitate. What happened to McKenzie? We used him successfully on jet sweeps against the Jets and suddenly those vanished again yesterday.

Every time the offense makes some progress Daboll goes back to the same old shotgun snap/long developing route offense that defenses have figured out how to stop. The first drive we did nothing but short passes and runs and it was a good looking drive until the stupid false start. And we inexplicably got away from that strategy for the rest of the game.

That 6 points against the 28th ranked Jags defense is still causing me to think that something is way, way off with the Buffalo offense. 

To me, it's ludicrous that a professional NFL OC refuses to switch up his offense that is no longer working to something that will work. And, when he does find something that actually works he stops using it. 

I simply don't trust Brian Daboll. Either the man is completely inept to construct an offense other than the mid to deep passing scheme he has helped develop in Buffalo...OR...those 11 seasons with the Patriots as an assistant coach...

Let's not forget that the guy spent a year with Nick Saban as the Alabama OC and I gotta wonder who gave him a recommendation for that job...coming from NE as TE's coach. Belichick and Saban have been close since their Cleveland Browns days. Just saying...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.