Ughhh, looks like another rainy home game

Bubba Gump

1 minute ago, Augie said:

He was a nice guy, more drunk than myself. I would HATE myself if I had punched him. We were Bills fans enjoying a game, even with our little foibles. I see that as being petty. Nobody meant anybody any harm.

I guess you skip the chronic at Bills games?  :)

GO BILLS! 

Hey, man. I gotta draw the line somewhere. Like strangers petting me at a sports event 😆

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

He was a nice guy, more drunk than myself. I would HATE myself if I had punched him. We were Bills fans enjoying a game, even with our little foibles. I see that as being petty. Nobody meant anybody any harm.

I guess you skip the chronic at Bills games?  :)

GO BILLS! 

I know a number of angry stoners. It seems counter-intuitive, but perhaps that’s why they took it up?

10 hours ago, Augie said:

At the Nashville game a drunken Bills fan behind me, for some unfathomable reason, started patting me on the head after good plays. He was a “nice drunk guy”, so it was no big deal, sort of a good luck charm. (I wasn’t 100% sober myself.)  At one point he said to me “Hey! Your head is wet!” To which I responded “I know, you keep spilling your beer on me!”   😂  

OK, quoting myself, which is extremely rare. After WAY too many posts here, this one keeps ME laughing at the memory. The trip was well worth it, despite the loss. 

Some people might have been angry and combative. I was just having fun and laughing….until Josh slipped at the goal line. Life happens. 

14 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

But WGRs Jeremy White tells me fall is elite…

Fall has been very good for the past 20+ years.    This fall is the rainiest I can remember.   The 1997 season we seemed to have rain every game day but it was mostly just raining around game day itself.    This fall,   seemed like every other morning when I woke up there was another 4 tenths in the rain gauge..........then we had several 4+ inch down pours.   I live on a small lake and the water level has been above the highest watermark on the walls everywhere.   And it's almost TG and we haven't had a real hard frost in the low 20's yet........about a month late for that.   Been very unusual.

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

Agreed.  This is why I want us to have a dome.  I feel like cold weather teams are a thing of the past and it only really helps in playoff games.  However, with our fans and the league being a passing one, I have zero concerns with HFA in the playoffs.  It will make Josh better and that is what's most important

Just to point out that in the last 20 years only Indy (dome) and Tampa Bay (warm weather) two times won Super Bowls.  Rest were cold weather open air stadium teams. 

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The human body was not designed for bad weather. It often rains, snows or is windy in Buffalo. 30 years ago we took some advantage of this. But now the NFL is more passing than ever before. No fan, player or coach enjoys or looks forward to bad weather games. At least build a retractable roof. No matter how strong your arm is, no QB wants to deal with cross winds.

Warm weather teams have a poor Super Bowl track record in the past 20 years.  

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

OK, quoting myself, which is extremely rare. After WAY too many posts here, this one keeps ME laughing at the memory. The trip was well worth it, despite the loss. 

Some people might have been angry and combative. I was just having fun and laughing….until Josh slipped at the goal line. Life happens. 

Augie I have always liked your style.  

22 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Jesus I guess you didn’t read the thread…. These two played each other in OP in both wind and rain in 2019. One guy looked good, one guy looked awful…. Not saying that will be the case Sunday but that’s a complete tone deaf post.

Yeah I was at that game. Wentz and the Eagles beat us silly.

The last regular season Bills/Colts game here was when it  snowed 6+ inches during the game and that was earlier than today.

Remember the year we played NE here in Dec(?), the game when the FG attempt took a literal 90 degree turn before it got to the goal line.  The winds gusted so hard that it picked up gravel off the lots and bike windows in several people's cars.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why are people complaining about the elements? Aren't we the fans who relish playing on bad weather? You know, REAL football? Isn't that why we are spending a billion and a half on an open air stadium in the middle of a sea parking lots?

I don't know in general, but I think part of the issue is a perceived mis-match between the style of offensive football we're playing (heavily reliant on the passing game, and the deep passing game at that, with a finesse OL and little run game) and the elements we play in.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Hey, man. I gotta draw the line somewhere. Like strangers petting me at a sports event 😆

“Some thirty inches from my nose
The frontier of my Person goes,
And all the untilled air between
Is private pagus or demesne.
Stranger, unless with bedroom eyes
I beckon you to fraternize,
Beware of rudely crossing it:
I have no gun, but I can spit.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/310947-some-thirty-inches-from-my-nose-the-frontier-of-my

I somehow don't think packed sporting events were Auden's thing nor would be modern passenger Aircraft.

Getting back to the topic of the thread, current forecast on WUnderground is cloudy at gametime with 20% chance of showers, rising to 50% chance of showers at 3 pm with falling temperatures.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Wacka said:

The last regular season Bills/Colts game here was when it  snowed 6+ inches during the game and that was earlier than today.

Remember the year we played NE here in Dec(?), the game when the FG attempt took a literal 90 degree turn before it got to the goal line.  The winds gusted so hard that it picked up gravel off the lots and bike windows in several people's cars.

I remember being there.  One of the trailers that they sell souvenirs was tipped on its side in the parking lot, and they had to straighten the goal posts after they tipped. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why are people complaining about the elements? Aren't we the fans who relish playing on bad weather? You know, REAL football? Isn't that why we are spending a billion and a half on an open air stadium in the middle of a sea parking lots?

We don’t play in the rain.  We watch our team play in the rain.  

This is real football.  You’re talking about football of the past.  

Another open air stadium in Buffalo just doesn’t make sense.  Football games aside. The world revolves around money.  The earning potential for an open air stadium pales in comparison to a dome or a retractable roof stadium.  Why build a stadium that will only be used for football 6-7 months of the year?  Baffling imo

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Another open air stadium in Buffalo just doesn’t make sense.  Football games aside. The world revolves around money.  The earning potential for an open air stadium pales in comparison to a dome or a retractable roof stadium.  Why build a stadium that will only be used for football 6-7 months of the year?  Baffling imo

How about a retractable dome?

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, that’s what I meant when I said retractable roof.  

Anything that will 💯 remove the outside elements from what is happening in the stadium.  Concert, games, convention or any other event.  

I’m really at a loss as to why they wouldn’t want to at least have the option of keeping the elements out. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, that’s what I meant when I said retractable roof.  

Anything that will 💯 remove the outside elements from what is happening in the stadium.  Concert, games, convention or any other event.  

I’m really at a loss as to why they wouldn’t want to at least have the option of keeping the elements out. 

the model, to me, is super obvious— they should build the exact same type

or stadium as Lucas Oil in Indianapolis. Retractable roof; let’s it on of Light; easy to open and close; multi-use for conventions, concerts, etc.

https://www.uni-systems.com/projects/retractable-roof-lucas-oil-stadium

why would the city or state pay a dime for an outdoor stadium that has extremely limited functionality? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the model, to me, is super obvious— they should build the exact same type

or stadium as Lucas Oil in Indianapolis. Retractable roof; let’s it on of Light; easy to open and close; multi-use for conventions, concerts, etc.

https://www.uni-systems.com/projects/retractable-roof-lucas-oil-stadium

why would the city or state pay a dime for an outdoor stadium that has extremely limited functionality? 

It’s beyond baffling and just an idiotic idea.  Has anyone stated why they aren’t planning on a retractable roof/dome?  I’d love to sit in on these meetings and hear what the reasoning is. 

If REAL football is the reason, heads should roll.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s beyond baffling and just an idiotic idea.  Has anyone stated why they aren’t planning on a retractable roof/dome?  I’d love to sit in on these meetings and hear what the reasoning is. 

I think the reason is purely monetary.  I'm sure they've calculated the ROI for extending the use of the stadium to concerts/conventions etc in the Buffalo area vs. the additional construction and maintenance costs.

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the reason is purely monetary.  I'm sure they've calculated the ROI for extending the use of the stadium to concerts/conventions etc in the Buffalo area vs. the additional construction and maintenance costs.

If it is an issue of cost and ROI, then the city need to push for a roof, and the team needs to carry a lot more of the cost. From the city’s standpoint, they are going to get a ton more value out of an indoor stadium in the long run. 

I would be curious too from a “football perspective,” which of the newest stadiums (esp in colder cities) are completely open air? The last I can think of is Met Life, but that was built in 2010 and in a very different sort of market. 

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

strange that all the other cold weather stadiums with roofs/domes found it advantageous.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Because there are too few events that would substantially use a football stadium sized venue the rest of the year...

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know in general, but I think part of the issue is a perceived mis-match between the style of offensive football we're playing (heavily reliant on the passing game, and the deep passing game at that, with a finesse OL and little run game) and the elements we play in.

Yeah but that's the Bills in 2021. By the time the Bills will be playing in the new stadium, it would be 2026 at the very earliest. By then the entire complexion of our team will be different except for Josh Allen. Plenty of time to build an above average running game at which point we would have a huge homefield advantage. Bring on the Chargers or the Dolphins for an open-air playoff game in Buffalo in late January. The weather has only been an equalizer for the current Bills team because this regime hasn't made it a priority to build a physical offense.

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah but that's the Bills in 2021. By the time the Bills will be playing in the new stadium, it would be 2026 at the very earliest. By then the entire complexion of our team will be different except for Josh Allen. Plenty of time to build an above average running game at which point we would have a huge homefield advantage. Bring on the Chargers or the Dolphins for an open-air playoff game in Buffalo in late January. The weather has only been an equalizer for the current Bills team because this regime hasn't made it a priority to build a physical offense.

Do you see the priorities of this regime changing?

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

strange that all the other cold weather stadiums with roofs/domes found it advantageous.  

So who are "all the other cold weather stadiums with roofs/domes"?

Detroit, MI (2002)

Indianapolis, IN (2008)

Minneapolis, MN (2018)

So 3 stadia?

2 of them were built more than a decade ago.  Perhaps economics have changed?

Minneapolis replaced a dome with a dome....

I don't have energy on the issue, but if one did, one could look into how the public/private spending was split for those stadia and how they have fared in terms of revenue sources other than football.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you see the priorities of this regime changing?

Yes, I am sure McDermott knows a weak running game is holding the offense back. They have methodically cleaned up each weakness year after year. The last ones are interior o-line and RB. I expect both to be a big priority next offseason. I envision a team with a strong defense and running game and a QB with a rocket arm, not to mention a kicker with a big leg, that is used to playing in the elements. That team is going to be a tough out in the playoffs. I don't understand why so many fans want to take that advantage away by building a dome.

Edited by HappyDays

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because there are too few events that would substantially use a football stadium sized venue the rest of the year...

I suppose so.  Hard for me to comment on that considering I live on the other side of the country and don’t keep up with the Buffalo social events.  I just find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t make up that money over the lifetime of the stadium.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So who are "all the other cold weather stadiums with roofs/domes"?

Detroit, MI (2002)

Indianapolis, IN (2008)

Minneapolis, MN (2018)

So 3 stadia?

2 of them were built more than a decade ago.  Perhaps economics have changed?

Minneapolis replaced a dome with a dome....

I don't have energy on the issue, but if one did, one could look into how the public/private spending was split for those stadia and how they have fared in terms of revenue sources other than football.

Detroit also replaced a dome with a dome.

These three stadiums have all hosted a Super Bowl as well.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Retractable roofs are a waste of money (especially in colder climates) as only about 30% of games are played with the roof actually open in stadiums that have them.  I'd prefer an enclosed stadium that gives the mirage of playing outside in like the Vikings have with their translucent roof.  It looks like open air stadium is going to happen though.  Unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I suppose so.  Hard for me to comment on that considering I live on the other side of the country and don’t keep up with the Buffalo social events.  I just find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t make up that money over the lifetime of the stadium.  

yeah stadium concerts are rare these days—even in good weather the Ralph has had relatively  few shows come through over the decades

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Yes, I am sure McDermott knows a weak running game is holding the offense back. They have methodically cleaned up each weakness year after year. The last ones are interior o-line and RB. I expect both to be a big priority next offseason. I envision a team with a strong defense and running game and a QB with a rocket arm, not to mention a kicker with a big leg, that is used to playing in the elements. That team is going to be a tough out in the playoffs. I don't understand why so many fans want to take that advantage away by building a dome.

Well...I most certainly hope you are right.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It looks like it’ll be light rain off an on with a chance of a shower.  So…not a down pour that will make a huge effect.  So good for football, not good for a wet t-shirt contest.

One question I have is whether a wet, slippery field would change their call on suiting up Edmunds

I’ve always been a proponent of getting big men, as QBs, WRs & TEs- never the Smurfs the Bills used to draft. 

Why?

Because OP is an open air stadium, where the last half of the Season, includes wind, cold, driving, rain and snow. Take this year, as the perfect example. Home games on December 6, 19 and January 2,9 to finish the Season!

You need big targets.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.