Mark Gaughan: Jerry Hughes remains as critical as ever to Bills' front four

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/mark-gaughan-jerry-hughes-remains-as-critical-as-ever-to-bills-front-four/article_af6bea18-3cf3-11ec-a4ee-aff61e61c292.html

The 33-year-old Hughes remains as critical as ever to the success of the Bills’ front four.

Hughes still has the best pure speed edge-rush move of the six defensive ends on the roster. He still leads the team in pressures on the quarterback, and he still leads the defensive ends in playing time – the truest test of who the coaches trust the most.

Hughes has played 58% of the defensive snaps. Last year he played 59%. Rookie Greg Rousseau is second among defensive ends at 50% of the snaps.

• Like (+1) 8

22 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He and Addison are cogs in the rotation and feel both also teachers to our young guys. I'd welcome one back next year at a reduced salary and maybe other as a coach.

I don't think Jerry will be here next season. Possibly Addison either, but imo if one of them stays I think maybe Addison could have the better chance than Jerry unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I don't think Jerry will be here next season. Possibly Addison either, but imo if one of them stays I think maybe Addison could have the better chance than Jerry unfortunately. 

why?

cap space 2022 $15,358,479

Can Jerry be replaced with that?

(I thought that they had more)

2023 cap space

$76,745,875

2 minutes ago, delirious said:

Jerry is up there with FredEx, E. Wood, and Meatball on my list of favorite players that played in the drought era.

I remember when we traded for him back in the day.  What a deal.  It’s pretty crazy to think that he’s going to go down as one of the great Bills players of the past century 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I remember when we traded for him back in the day.  What a deal.  It’s pretty crazy to think that he’s going to go down as one of the great Bills players of the past century 

Can’t even remember that underwhelming linebacker we traded for him but that was a steal without a doubt!  Jerry Hughes will always be one of my all-time favorite Bills players.  

38 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

What I can’t understand is why Hughes always has a high pressure rate but never seems to get very many sacks.  I know that sacks can be a deceiving metric but you’d assume that a pass rusher of his ability would end up with a higher total.  

if he wasn't held every play he would have the sack numbers. he gets slowed down just enough to get the pressure but not the sack

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I believe Bills will find a way to bring Hughes back next year.  His numbers are too good to let him leave and he's playing at a high level.

6 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Can’t even remember that underwhelming linebacker we traded for him but that was a steal without a doubt!  Jerry Hughes will always be one of my all-time favorite Bills players.  

Kelvin Sheppard

• Like (+1) 8

I looked it up before posting. My impression was that Hughes seems to convert a significant number of his sacks into fumbles. Now I just have totals so I can't say which fumbles were strip sacks and which were not.  But look at these numbers below.  When Hughes does get home he makes a differnce.  TJ Watt is just incredible...

Hughes  15 Forced fumbles on 57 sacks 26%

JJ Watt 26 FF on 102 sacks 22%

Myles Garrett 10 FF on 53 sacks 19%

Nick Bosa 3 FF on 16 sacks 19%

Joey Bosa 8 FF on 51 sacks 16%

Josh Allen 2 FF on 17.5 sacks 11%

TJ Watt 20 FF on 58 sacks 35%

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

We better replace him with someone other than our current roster. In recent weeks, jerry has been our best disruptive imo

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Kelvin Sheppard.  Bills 2011 3rd round pick.  Colts waived him a year later (2014).

Sheppard went on to play 2 years for Miami and then for the Giants.

Bills Fans say: 

The 33-year-old Hughes remains as critical as ever to the success of the Bills’ front four.

Hughes still has the best pure speed edge-rush move of the six defensive ends on the roster. He still leads the team in pressures on the quarterback, and he still leads the defensive ends in playing time – the truest test of who the coaches trust the most.

NFL Referees Association says:

Yeah!  So What!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kelvin Sheppard.  Bills 2011 3rd round pick.  Colts waived him a year later (2014).

Sheppard went on to play 2 years for Miami and then for the Giants.

To his credit he was a starter for most the of 6 years he played in the league after that trade. Game impacting numbers were super pedestrian tho with just 10 QB hits, 3 sacks and 2 INTs in his entire career (he played LB) in comparison the oft criticized Edmunds has already topped him in all the game impacting stats and a few games away from topping him in career tackles. Edmunds is 23 years old.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

What I can’t understand is why Hughes always has a high pressure rate but never seems to get very many sacks.  I know that sacks can be a deceiving metric but you’d assume that a pass rusher of his ability would end up with a higher total.  

Having to be held to prevent from sacking QB is a pressure but most players being held that often would get penalties called on holder but not Hughes.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I looked it up before posting. My impression was that Hughes seems to convert a significant number of his sacks into fumbles. Now I just have totals so I can't say which fumbles were strip sacks and which were not.  But look at these numbers below.  When Hughes does get home he makes a differnce.  TJ Watt is just incredible...

Wow! Josh Allen IS a God! He does it all.

At some point, Father Time catches up with people.    He is an UFA after this year and has been making $10.75 million a year on his existing 2 year contract.  It is time to cut ties and let the other 5 defensive ends,  several on rookie contracts, take over.  You can not have every shiny toy you want.  Remember that our two rookie DE and one 2nd year DE will get better with more experience and growth.

That ~ $10 million a year (plus releasing a player from the 40 man roster) could be used for a veteran guard.  The 10 highest paid guards are $10 million or more.  You can look at the list of 2022 FA guards at ...  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-value/guard/free-agent-2022/limit-100/    .(put 2022 in the parameter box for "FA year".       We would have a stronger team with a veteran OG upgrade and a 3rd round pick for a rookie center (Linstrom? Luke Matthews?)  or 2nd round pick for a OG. (Green?  Hines?). 

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

At some point, Father Time catches up with people.    He is an UFA after this year and has been making $10.75 million a year on his existing 2 year contract.  It is time to cut ties and let the other 5 defensive ends,  several on rookie contracts, take over.  You can not have every shiny toy you want.  Remember that our two rookie DE and one 2nd year DE will get better with more experience and growth.

That ~ $10 million a year (plus releasing a player from the 40 man roster) could be used for a veteran guard.  The 10 highest paid guards are $10 million or more.  You can look at the list of 2022 FA guards at ...  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-value/guard/free-agent-2022/limit-100/    .(put 2022 in the parameter box for "FA year".       We would have a stronger team with a veteran OG upgrade and a 3rd round pick for a rookie center (Linstrom? Luke Matthews?)  or 2nd round pick for a OG. (Green?  Hines?). 

The Bills have 11 DL guys this season but DEs Addison, Hughes, Obada are free agents which leaves DEs Rousseau, Epenesa and Basham under contract for next season.  The Bills will want to have at least 4 DEs.  Hughes leads all DL guys this season in snap counts and has a high QB pressure rate.  I think it's likely the Bills will want Hughes back.

DTs Phillips, Zimmer and Butler are free agents which leaves Star and Oliver under contract for next year.  The Bills seem to like Zimmer so I believe they'll try to bring him back.  The 4th DT spot will probably be a new guy.

Bills will address OL needs through draft is my guess and spend their money on retaining guys such as Hughes, Sanders, and maybe Wallace.

I couldn't agree more Hughes still has a lot in the tank and he proves it every week he always shows up on tape putting pressure on the QB which makes the opposition have to pay attention to him & gives others a chance to get in there and make a play .

I think he could be extended for another year if he keeps playing the way he has .

On 11/3/2021 at 8:12 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I think the opposite, Hughes will be back but not Addison. 

My reasoning is, they may still want one more veteran player on the roster as still overall much youth on the D Line.  Of the two think Hughes is playing better and means more overall to the team.  Also possible they may they release both and bring in a younger but still vet player, but would give better chance to bringing back Hughes.

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2021 at 9:59 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Watt got one of those against Allen earlier in the year.

I am excited to move on from Hughes and Addison next year and really develop our defensive line of the future. I think Hughes is highly overrated by Bills fans. He is a solid, average player.

My main issue is he disappears for so many games. He'll have a great game, then do nothing for weeks and weeks. And, obviously, his lack of sack production.

• Sad 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I know some here think Jerry is done but the dude always has his hand on the pressure valve & in most every shot i see he's around the QB & although sacks are nice the pressure to make the oppositions QB move or throw before he's ready is key to the D .

I think he's worth keeping around 1 more season for a decent contract if one of the younger players would have shown a big presence in the D then he may have been expendable but dude is still bringing it every down that he is on the field & i would like to see him retire as a Bill !! 

• Like (+1) 4

Have any of you that want Jerry gone actually watched any of the games this year especially the last one it seems as if Jerry was always around the QB causing pressure & he actually got a sack last game .

Sure he may not be the player he once was but if he still has to be accounted for by the opposition and is always getting some kind of pressure on the QB then he's worth keeping around i would think unless of course one of the youngsters show to be a lot better than him .

He still has a lot of experience that he can pass on to the younger guys if he would do a team friendly contract then lets keep him !! 

On 11/3/2021 at 7:46 PM, The Jokeman said:

He and Addison are cogs in the rotation and feel both also teachers to our young guys. I'd welcome one back next year at a reduced salary and maybe other as a coach.

No comparison between the two please.
 not sure about Addison anymore. and time for him to go away. not a fan after watching him closely some games.

Jerry Hughes should play.

and draft his skill set replacement. Because he is not on the team. His relentless pursuit of the ball is amazing 😀

been a huge Fan after the 2nd season after Colts.

Even with so many Cringe worthy penalties back in the day , because of his temper I still loved #55

and i still do. Dude just balls all day long.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:01 AM, maryland-bills-fan said:

restructure or retire. I mean that in the most respectful way.

He is Buffalo Bill at heart for sure. Loyal as a Pit Bull.
get the Hardware and go out on top Jerry

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.