Aaron Rodgers out with Covid, now back but has Covid toe. No, Broken Toe.

Big Blitz

I find it rather hilarious that Aaron Rodgers called himself a “critical thinker” and then went on to talk about his beliefs in homeopathic medicine.

Homeopaths take a natural substance, dilute it down so far with water or alcohol that literally no molecules of the original substance remain, then they “potentize” it, which basically means just shake/stir the water in a “special” way that they claim transfers “healing energies” to the plain water (that used to contain a natural substance (like onions, or herbs, etc)).

Believing in that sounds like the opposite of critical thinking.

If you apply critical thinking skills to homeopathy, you would no longer believe in it.

By the criteria of modern evidence based medicine, homeopathy shouldn’t even be practiced.

Its amazing how much my opinion of Aaron Rodgers has changed in just a few days time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

We all have opinions about the vax.  That's not what matters.

What it comes down to is this.  Unvaxed players in the NFL can still play.  Their employers (the NFL) allows this.  What matters is Rodgers lied about his vax status to his employer.  Show me any employer that's cool with being lied to by an employee.

This isn't vax vs. unvaxed.  This is an employee lying to their employer.  Don't make this into more then it is.

Edited by The Red King
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Unvaxed players in the NFL can still play.  Their employers (the NFL) allows this.  What matters is Rodgers lied about his vax status to his employer.  Show me any employer that's cool with being lied to by an employee.

—rogers lied to his employer and his coworkers. He lied to cameras in a very public way. 
—Beasley did not lie. I’d rather he vax but as long as he tests and rules…cool. 
—rogers is a jerk. NFL won’t address it because he’s a star. He was a jerk before, this just proved it. 

• Like (+1) 4

Because it’s inescapable, I’ll chime in. 

I don’t care. He’s an adult. He made a decision that I definitely don’t advise but whatever. He now pays the consequences. En masse the more people who follow his lead, the worse the societal consequences. 

My annoyance about this is that he’s taking up headline space and I’m super annoyed that it helps the Chiefs. I want those ***** to stay down. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

—rogers lied to his employer and his coworkers. He lied to cameras in a very public way. 
—Beasley did not lie. I’d rather he vax but as long as he tests and rules…cool. 
—rogers is a jerk. NFL won’t address it because he’s a star. He was a jerk before, this just proved it. 

Re the 2nd and 3rd -

Agreed

Re the 1st -

Rodgers claims that his employer (the club) and his coworkers knew his vax status from Day 1 and that he has been following all protocols, except during the pressers ("because it didn't make any sense to me")

Of course, once he lies (or at best, is deliberately deceptive) on one topic, his credibility falls across the board with me, so I'm gonna leave it to his club and the NFL to figure out if its true or not. 

He made it clear that he feels he doesn't need to follow protocols that don't make sense to him.  If he thinks he can pick and choose what he follows based on what makes sense to him, and he criticized the protocols in general, who is to say what he actually did?

• Like (+1) 1

We already knew that Rogers was a dbag based on his estranged family but in a normal state of things that doesnt really matter. The NFL has always been a world of heroes and villains and questionable characters. As long as you win then it all goes away (even a murder involvement, ask Ray Lewis). But this case of Rogers is far beyond just lying. Its way beyond Beasley or the others who are anti vax but at least were honest so people knew the risks of being near them. Rogers is so arrogant and deluded that he exposed himself to others as if vaccinated when he wasnt and the Packers were ok with that. He knowingly allowed himself to be a potential vessel for this virus and expose his teammates, opponents, the media and fans to it. Totally unconscionable and selfish and potentially life threatening for some people. But I guess when your ego is as big as Rogers is thats A Ok. 

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

We all have opinions about the vax.  That's not what matters.

What it comes down to is this.  Unvaxed players in the NFL can still play.  Their employers (the NFL) allows this.  What matters is Rodgers lied about his vax status to his employer.  Show me any employer that's cool with being lied to by an employee.

This isn't vax vs. unvaxed.  This is an employee lying to their employer.  Don't make this into more then it is.

Agreed this is not being vaxed or unvaxxed.

Again, Rodgers claims (in the McAfee show) that he did not lie to his employer, just the press and the rest of us.

He justifies his lie by claiming that he had to do it to avoid being attacked and torn apart by media and fans.

There are a number of players who have declined to answer on the vax question and have not been torn apart, that I've seen, anywhere.  Someone here made a claim about "feral vaccine zealots" tearing players apart just for saying they're not vaccinated, and doing the same to players who won't answer.

I saw a bunch of this kind of article, https://thesportsrush.com/nfl-news-im-not-going-to-be-answering-questions-about-vaccines-josh-allen-other-buffalo-bills-refuse-to-answer-questions-about-covid-19-vaccine-not-convinced-to-get-vaccinated/

or this

https://bolavip.com/en/nfl/lamar-jackson-josh-allenn-and-unvaccinated-qbs-could-cost-their-teams-2.5m-per-game-20210827-0002.html

Where is all this feral tearing apart?  Both of those seem like reasonable coverage of the issue to me - the unvaxxed guys could cost their teams (as Rodgers is, and could perhaps but not certainly avoided if he were vaxxed), guys who refuse to answer aren't showing leadership to the team on the issue.  Fair.  Their right, but fair points.

For that matter, where is all this feral tearing apart of openly unvaccinated players?

Kirk Cousins, who said he is unvaccinated, drew some critical coverage, but frankly, this reads as milquetoast compared to some criticism of his play etc he has incurred.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/05/why-wont-kirk-cousins-get-vaccinated/

If that's "feral tearing apart" those words have a different meaning to some people than to me. 

Now Beasley took a lot worse attacks, I'll grant - but he went a lot further than just saying he's unvaccinated or refusing to answer on Twitter.  He tweeted what some regard as misinformation repeatedly and re-tweeted some one-sided controversial people (as well as some stuff he was right about).   So that was kind of a self-induced problem.   And right now, Beasley's looking better and better because at least he's a stand-up, straightforward guy. 

Rodgers is a wussy little weasel IMO, creating a problem for himself and then ranting on and on to blame everyone but himself for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

What pile on has been going on for Josh then?

Josh was trending on Twitter for about two days, with the blue checkmark brigade coming up with every clever possible way to reference him as a big, dumb jock.  

Same with Dak when he invoked his HIPAA excuse. 

That’s nothing compared to what A-Rod has going on now, but if Josh gets covid (let’s hope not) during the season and we find out he’s not vaxxed, he’ll see similar venom from the same people. 

I suspect that many of the people (not all, as Aaron bring a lot on himself) clinging to A-Rod’s immunized comments aren’t really that concerned he misled reporters… it just helps them justify their anger at anyone high profile who hasn’t gotten vaxxed. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Josh was trending on Twitter for about two days, with the blue checkmark brigade coming up with every clever possible way to reference him as a big, dumb jock.  

That’s nothing compared to what A-Rod has going on now, but if Josh gets covid (let’s hope not) during the season and we find out he’s not vaxxed, he’ll see similar venom from the same people. 

I suspect that many of the people clinging to A-Rod’s immunized comments aren’t really that concerned he misled reporters… it just helps them justify their anger at anyone who hasn’t gotten vaxxed. 

With Dak...HIPPA don't work that way.  That's part of the hubbub.  HIPPA, for example, keeps Dak's doctor from revealing Dak's vax status.  It does not prevent anyone from asking someone questions about their own health.  I giggle a lil everytime someone incorrectly invokes HIPPA.  "That word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

As for the vax, there are crusaders on both sides.  Josh may have trended a day or two, as you note, and has since been left alone.  Hardly a pile-on.  NFL stars trend a few day if they so much as fart sideways.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

With Dak...HIPPA don't work that way.  That's part of the hubbub.  HIPPA, for example, keeps Dak's doctor from revealing Dak's vax status.  It does not prevent anyone from asking someone questions about their own health.  I giggle a lil everytime someone incorrectly invokes HIPPA.  "That word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

As for the vax, there are crusaders on both sides.  Josh may have trended a day or two, as you note, and has since been left alone.  Hardly a pile-on.  NFL stars trend a few day if they so much as fart sideways.

I understand all that - simply stating that both Dak and Josh had non-committal answers, and both had to deal with a couple days of blowback.   

Obviously a couple days is better than the avalanche Aaron Rodgers is dealing with, but - and I hope we don’t find out - I tend to think Josh & Dak will face similar ire of these folks should they catch covid and we find out they aren’t vaxxed.  

I know they didn’t mislead anyone, but I’m simply saying that I don’t believe that’s the driving force behind some people’s anger at Aaron.. it just a useful excuse to be super duper angry. 

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I suspect that many of the people (not all, as Aaron bring a lot on himself) clinging to A-Rod’s immunized comments aren’t really that concerned he misled reporters… it just helps them justify their anger at anyone high profile who hasn’t gotten vaxxed.

I personally am going to leave off psychoanalyzing people as to what emotions they're feeling inside and how they're trying to handle these hypothetical emotions they're feeling inside, but You Do You.

I think trending on twitter for a couple days is weak sauce as "tearing apart by venomous vaccine zealots".  They said worse about Josh for longer after the draft, after the Houston playoff loss, after the AFCCG, etc.  If an athlete can't handle a couple of days of trending on Twitter with people saying nasty stuff, he probably needs to stay off social media.

It was a temporary kerfluffle, and died off quickly.  Beasley got worse, because he went beyond his status into playing Internet Epidemiologist.

I don't believe Rodgers was concerned for being savaged or torn apart by vaccine advocates.  As someone I knew would say "I've been called worse by better people"

I believe he was motivated by self-interest - he gave himself freedom to do stuff that would be "outed" as violations if he were known or believed to be unvaccinated.   Apparently Rodgers has been filming commercials, going to parties, and doing other things the NFL's protocols prohibit for unvaccinated players.   If he were known or suspected to be unvaccinated by the public, someone might rat that to the NFL.  But by creating the public impression he was vaccinated, he gained freedom from scrutiny for doing those things because they are allowed if vaccinated.

What I primarily feel about Rodgers is pissed off at his entitlement that as an NFL star, he is "above the rules" little people must follow and can choose which of his employer's rules to disregard.  Retrospectively invoking Martin Luther King and pretending to be some sort of brave social justice warrior taking a stand against unjust employer rules when he was mum about actually trying to change protocols before they were put in place merely ices that. 

I'm pissed off that our guys got dinged for stuff Rodgers will likely get away with.

I'm also irritated by the irony of the guy being given a 45 minute platform viewed by millions of people in which he whinges repeatedly about being canceled - while obviously, markedly NOT being canceled, by the fact of having that uninterrupted platform to say whatever he wants.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I personally am going to leave off psychoanalyzing people as to what emotions they're feeling and what actually motivates them, but You Do You.

So trending on twitter for 2 days being referenced as a "big dumb jock" = being torn apart by "venomous vaccine zealots" (I realize those aren't your words, but those are the words I'm seeking info about what they mean)

I think that's kind of weak sauce as "tearing apart by venomous vaccine zealots".  They said worse about Josh for longer after the draft, after the Houston playoff loss, after the AFCCG, etc.  If an athlete can't handle a couple of days of trending on Twitter with people saying nasty stuff, he probably needs to stay off social media.

It was a temporary kerfluffle, and died off quickly.

I personally doubt that Rodgers was truly concerned about the "venom" that Josh Allen, Maine Edmunds, Jordan Poyer, and others took for refusing to answer questions about whether or not they're vaccinated. 

Apparently Rodgers has been filming commercials, going to parties, and doing other things the NFL's protocols prohibit for unvaccinated players.   If he were known or suspected to be unvaccinated by the public, someone would probably call on that to the NFL.  But by creating the public impression he was vaccinated, he gained freedom from scrutiny for those things.

I’m simply responding to a poster who asked “what pile on there was for Josh?”

There was a pile on, for about two days, and it definitely wasn’t what Aaron is dealing with… not even close, but if a high profile athlete wanted to avoid the spotlight - they saw how people reacted to Josh and Dak over the summer.  

Edited by SCBills

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’m simply responding to a poster who asked “what pile on there was for Josh?”

There was a pile on, for about two days, and it definitely wasn’t what Aaron is dealing with… not even close, but if a high profile athlete wanted to avoid the spotlight - they saw how people reacted to Josh and Dak over the summer. 

I understand your main point and appreciate your information.

I was responding to your comment "I suspect that many of the people clinging to A-Rod’s immunized comments aren’t really that concerned he misled reporters… it just helps them justify their anger at anyone who hasn’t gotten vaxxed."

IMHO that's getting into "psychoanalyzing people as to what emotions they're feeling inside and how they're trying to handle these hypothetical emotions they're feeling inside"

Again, I personally don't believe that Rodgers was really motivated by avoiding The Attack of the Twitterverse.  He's been in the league for 17 years and has undergone all sorts of controversy in his time.    He had an obvious self-serving motivation - to avoid scrutiny and possible "outing" to the league for violations of league protocol for unvaxxed players in his public appearances/activities.

• Agree 2

Self interest as his motivation.  Rodgers is a spokesman for Prevea Healthcare. He ain't worried that "Blue Meanies" in the press and social media would tear him apart for saying he uses homeopathy or that he's unvaccinated. It might jeopardize his money-making arrangement with Prevea, which vaccinates people and offers allopathic, FDA approved medical treatments.

Prevea Healthcare promotes vaccination.

image.thumb.png.72ad67ffe14ce3167e6ea012e0dcfbd6.png

Prevea promotes vaccination (see above) and their CEO has done television spots about the dangers of taking ivermectin:

Pretty damned hypocritical of Rodgers to take their money as their spokesman when he doesn't believe their treatments are appropriate for his own use and in fact paints them as profiteers uninterested in healing people.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I understand all that - simply stating that both Dak and Josh had non-committal answers, and both had to deal with a couple days of blowback.   

Obviously a couple days is better than the avalanche Aaron Rodgers is dealing with, but - and I hope we don’t find out - I tend to think Josh & Dak will face similar ire of these folks should they catch covid and we find out they aren’t vaxxed.  

I know they didn’t mislead anyone, but I’m simply saying that I don’t believe that’s the driving force behind some people’s anger at Aaron.. it just a useful excuse to be super duper angry. 

I mean it'd be news either one of them has that happen and it's one of the best players in the NFL on one of the best playing(currently) teams in the NFL being out for at least 1-2 games. It'll invite conversation on why the decision they made had this risk and wasn't as team friendly/competitive as the alternative, but I don't see how that wouldn't be a reasonable discussion to have in that situation. They wouldn't be going through the kind of outrage Rodgers is because they wouldn't have lied, it would just be the decision they potentially made came back to bite them.

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it'd be news either one of them has that happen and it's one of the best players in the NFL on one of the best playing(currently) teams in the NFL being out for at least 1-2 games. It'll invite conversation on why the decision they made had this risk and wasn't as team friendly/competitive as the alternative, but I don't see how that wouldn't be a reasonable discussion to have in that situation. They wouldn't be going through the kind of outrage Rodgers is because they wouldn't have lied, it would just be the decision they potentially made came back to bite them.

I mean, I'd be pissed if Josh missed a game or wasn't 100% (like D-Dawk) and it came out he wasn't fully vaccinated.  That's not taking every effort you can to be available to your team under the rules (leaving aside my personal views on the societal aspects of vaccination).

But logically, I would point out to myself that a player can be vaccinated and follow the NFL's protocols and still miss a game from Covid (like Davante Adams).  They have exposure risk while following the protocols by eating in a bar/restaurant with family on an Away game, for example.

And under their negotiated agreement, it's a legitimate choice to not be vaccinated.

It would tick me off more if he made 101 excuses, blame-shifted, and critiqued as "not making sense" therefore not gonna follow, other aspects of the same negotiated agreement that gave him that personal choice to not be vaccinated, as Rodgers did.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, we'll see when Josh tests positive.   I think from the past stories, etc. seems reasonably clear to me he isn't vaxxed.   IMO, if you want to protect yourself, get vaxxed, if you want to roll the dice with your life, don't.   But don't impose your personal judgement on others.   Serious vax side effects are beyond rare and the data shows the vax works.  

46 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Well, we'll see when Josh tests positive.   I think from the past stories, etc. seems reasonably clear to me he isn't vaxxed.   IMO, if you want to protect yourself, get vaxxed, if you want to roll the dice with your life, don't.   But don't impose your personal judgement on others.   Serious vax side effects are beyond rare and the data shows the vax works.  

Problem is, it’s not just their own lives they’re rolling the dice with. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I find it rather hilarious that Aaron Rodgers called himself a “critical thinker” and then went on to talk about his beliefs in homeopathic medicine.

Homeopaths take a natural substance, dilute it down so far with water or alcohol that literally no molecules of the original substance remain, then they “potentize” it, which basically means just shake/stir the water in a “special” way that they claim transfers “healing energies” to the plain water (that used to contain a natural substance (like onions, or herbs, etc)).

Believing in that sounds like the opposite of critical thinking.

If you apply critical thinking skills to homeopathy, you would no longer believe in it.

By the criteria of modern evidence based medicine, homeopathy shouldn’t even be practiced.

Its amazing how much my opinion of Aaron Rodgers has changed in just a few days time.

The strange part to me is it obviously didn't work and he's still promoting it as an alternative to the vaccine.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

If.

Not when.

If.

Some people feel the Bills would not have made Josh the $258M man this season without vaxxed.  I could go though the hints I see one way or the other, but there's really no point.  Bottom line, it's his choice as long as he's following whatever protocols apply to him.

I think we all make personal judgements and apply them to others, all the time.  Even saying "don't impose your personal judgement on others" is a form of doing so from one POV.

45 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Problem is, it’s not just their own lives they’re rolling the dice with. 

Let's not go there, and Say we Didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If.

Not when.

If.

Some people feel the Bills would not have made Josh the $258M man this season without vaxxed.  I could go though the hints I see one way or the other, but there's really no point.  Bottom line, it's his choice as long as he's following whatever protocols apply to him.

I think we all make personal judgements and apply them to others, all the time.  Even saying "don't impose your personal judgement on others" is a form of doing so from one POV.

Let's not go there, and Say we Didn't.

Given how Josh has been at press conferences and that Bills Halloween party he's either vaccinated or breaking the protocols at this point, so he'd probably get crap for that the same as Rodgers if it came out.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The strange part to me is it obviously didn't work and he's still promoting it as an alternative to the vaccine.

Well, to be fair - the vaccine has never been touted as 100% effective, so neither vaccine nor homeopathy not working in one instance proves nor disproves effectiveness.

The part I find weird was highlighted by the Packers fan video above.  Here's Rodgers talking about homeopathic treatments, and saying he put together a medical team with 500 pages of documentation they submitted to the NFL.  As I transcribed up thread:

"I'm not disagreeing with Rodgers with his idea of this is what I felt was best for my body, that's fine.....but he talks about spending all this money putting together a medical team and what have you...and then comes out of nowhere and says he also consulted Joe Rogan.  It's one thing if you're coming from a place where you're saying I'm going to do this homeopathic stuff, and this is how I'm going to treat my body.  And then to throw Rogan in there, and ignore all the doctors who are countering the points that he is making, and go to  a guy like Joe Rogan who last time I checked didn't have a medical degree...that to me is like "buddy, what are we doing?  WHAT are we doing?"  And again, it's his option, but if you're going to make the claim you're going through all the boxes, 500 pages of research (ed: from AR's personal medical team), and then go "oh now I'm talking to Joe Rogan"...I just feel that argument is undercut, just a little bit."

I would say "undercut to the point where a rockfall is imminent" but that's just me.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Given how Josh has been at press conferences and that Bills Halloween party he's either vaccinated or breaking the protocols at this point, so he'd probably get crap for that the same as Rodgers if it came out.

Someone made the claim that some of the press conferences are being held outside.

That may be true at times, but at other times - for example after Away games and at night - I don't think it is.

The Bills Halloween party is a point.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Someone made the claim that some of the press conferences are being held outside.

That may be true at times, but at other times - for example after Away games and at night - I don't think it is.

The Bills Halloween party is a point.

Josh is most likely vaccinated anyway, one of the rules is unvaccinated have to travel separate from the rest but Josh is in all the photos of players boarding the plane and Beasley isn't in any of them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Self interest as his motivation.  Rodgers is a spokesman for Prevea Healthcare. He ain't worried that "Blue Meanies" in the press and social media would tear him apart for saying he uses homeopathy or that he's unvaccinated. It might jeopardize his money-making arrangement with Prevea, which vaccinates people and offers allopathic, FDA approved medical treatments.

Prevea Healthcare promotes vaccination.

image.thumb.png.72ad67ffe14ce3167e6ea012e0dcfbd6.png

Prevea promotes vaccination (see above) and their CEO has done television spots about the dangers of taking ivermectin:

Pretty damned hypocritical of Rodgers to take their money as their spokesman when he doesn't believe their treatments are appropriate for his own use and in fact paints them as profiteers uninterested in healing people.

He’s been dropped .  Probably a few other sponsors will distance themselves now that one had done it

https://www.channel3000.com/prevea-health-ends-partnership-with-aaron-rodgers/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Josh is most likely vaccinated anyway, one of the rules is unvaccinated have to travel separate from the rest but Josh is in all the photos of players boarding the plane and Beasley isn't in any of them.

We discussed this upthread. 

I think that rule applies only to front office (Tier1 and Tier2) staff and not to players.  I think it may have been part of the original proposals and was changed.

Unvaccinated players are supposed to wear masks on the plane and sit spatially distanced, but someone could hand him a mask at the doorway.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We discussed this upthread. 

I think that rule applies only to front office (Tier1 and Tier2) staff and not to players.  I think it may have been part of the original proposals and was changed.

Unvaccinated players are supposed to wear masks on the plane and sit spatially distanced, but someone could hand him a mask at the doorway.

True, I got this from a recent article since the Rodgers thing but the link to the rules it provides seems to agree with you so. 🤷‍♂️ Still odd that Beasley isn't in any of them though.

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

He’s been dropped .  Probably a few other sponsors will distance themselves now that one had done it

https://www.channel3000.com/prevea-health-ends-partnership-with-aaron-rodgers/

I support Aaron Rodgers (no surprise to most), but I do get why Prevea Health dropped him.  

If he starts talking about how he self-insures and thinks insurance companies are profit hungry, I suspect State Farm would drop him as well. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well I havn’t followed this thread as it developed, basically I don’t spend a ton of time on anything that isn’t All Bills All The Time, but a buddy of mine just sent this to me and it made me chuckle, so thought I’d throw it into the mix here.  Apologies if it’s already in here somewhere…

• Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Rhode Island Red said:

Well I havn’t followed this thread as it developed, basically I don’t spend a ton of time on anything that isn’t All Bills All The Time, but a buddy of mine just sent this to me and it made me chuckle, so thought I’d throw it into the mix here.  Apologies if it’s already in here somewhere…

It's an improvement...

9 hours ago, The Red King said:

i get a little giggle every time someone repeatedly gets the acronym for HIPAA wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1