Singletary Appreciation Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

Watching Cover1's piece on the Miami-Bills game

The point of the clip was a 3rd down dual crossing route which Beasley was not able to haul in and convert

I noticed this:

image.thumb.png.a8a82566e48c9cb41337830feb30d75c.png

That's Devin Singletary there, knocking a 6'1" 230 lb LB ass-over-teakettle to form the "Y" in "YMCA" then land harmlessly, like a discarded burger wrapper, at Josh Allen's feet as he makes his throw.

Since I was one who called Motor out for his poor blocking skills in 2019, I feel it behooves me to show some appreciation for this almost FredEx-worthy RB block on a LB.

• Like (+1) 18
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

14 hours ago, 727Bills said:

While Mongo is being abused 

To genuflect whilst playing NFL football enhances the degree of difficulty and generally earns more points from the Russian judges. 

EDIT: @Gugny made me do it! He is a true inspiration! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Mongo really sucks.  Cut him 🤔

I am not going as far as cut him yet, but bench him for sure. He is bad out there. I have never thought he was great but he has gone from slightly below average but servicable starter to flat out liability this year.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Blocking as a RB has little to do with size or even strength 

It's all about technique and commitment... If you fully commit to your technique and don't back down from the oncoming rusher you will usually win the battle

Was anybody more impressive than Thurman? And he was no giant. It was a thing of beauty! 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 727Bills said:

While Mongo is being abused 

12 minutes ago, Process said:

Mongo blocking from his knees. Oh my.

6 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Mongo really sucks.  Cut him 🤔

Only on TBD does a "Motor Appreciation Thread" get turned into a "Bash Mongo" thread.

I will tell you that if you watch the full clip, though he does get shoved off balance, Mongo still manages to delay his guy and send him deep into the backfield - where he gets a bead on Josh only after the ball is on its way.  (I do not promise that holding wasn't involved, but he's sufficiently subtle about it)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Was anybody more impressive than Thurman? And he was no giant. It was a thing of beauty! 

The great thing about Thurm is he could do so many things well, especially as part of the passing game, hence his league leading stats year over year in combined yards from scrimmage…

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The great thing about Thurm is he could do so many things well, especially as part of the passing game, hence his league leading stats year over year in combined yards from scrimmage…

He was truly ahead of his time. He could do SO MANY things, which allowed that offense to click.

Different times, different guys, different schemes………but the Bills are fun to watch again, and it reminds me of those good times! Winning is always great, but being FUN to watch while you do it is even better. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, boater said:

Is it him, or is it Daboll's playcalling? Or the offensive line? He has produced nothing. Zilch. Nada. Moss isn't better. Maybe our RB just suck.

Moss/Singletary don’t have the speed to get to the outside and we don’t have the interior OL to run up the middle/off guard. 

• Agree 1

Like it or not Devin is our best RB, he does well considering we can’t run block worth a damn. 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 3

Just now, Azucho98 said:

Don't know what happened to Mongo this season.  When he came back from injury last year the O-line played much more physical, and he did a nice job filling in at center when Morse was hurt.  He just doesn't seem to be the same player.

Maybe it’s our Oline coach, he hasn’t been particularly impressive with the way his charges have been performing…,

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Like it or not Devin is our best RB, he does well considering we can’t run block worth a damn. 

Go Bills!!!

So true DO, whether you lean toward Devin or Zach, the bottom line is their struggles reflect the inability of our OL to create any holes. Even small ones. Brandon will have his work cut out this spring. Maybe we can steal a Guard tomorrow?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

To genuflect while playing NFL football enhances the degree of difficulty and generally earns more points from the Russian judges. 

The only thing that would have made this post better is if you'd used "whilst."  Genuflect is an amazing word!!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Dear Devin:

Stop running into your own teammate on the OL ... it's almost as bad as the Butt Fumble a la Mark dirty Sanchez.

Also, stopping directly into the opposing teams defensive players.

You won't get much production doing those two things.

Your friend,

Concerned Bills Fan

The reason Devin "ran into his own teammate" was that his OL teammate who was supposed to be opening a hole for him got thrown aside like a ragdoll

Sheesh

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Maybe it’s our Oline coach, he hasn’t been particularly impressive with the way his charges have been performing…,

This might be the first post I've read suggesting that, which I find fascinating. I've certainly wondered about Johnson's coaching as well. But from our vantage as fans, how could we know? 

It's possible Allen's playmaking covers up some deficits in offensive personnel and coaching. 

Devin Singletary Appreciation Thread Clip #2

This is still from the Cover1 Film Room, about 21:20 in

Top of the 4th, Score Bills up 10-3, 3rd and 13.  Beasley converts. 

That's our man Motor at the tip of the Buffalo Hump, just neutralizing safety Brandon Jones "Not Today, Fella"

I wouldn't say Josh has time to dial up Jimmy Johns and get a sandwich delivered, but he's got enough time to let Beasley's route develop and make the play.

Incidentally Morse makes a clean handoff to Boettger in order to meet and pick up a late blitzer.  Good job by the OL.

image.thumb.png.6be8572548751b52b840621538d82aa4.png

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point of the clip was a 3rd down dual crossing route which Beasley was not able to haul in and convert

I noticed this:

That's Devin Singletary there, knocking a 6'1" 230 lb LB ass-over-teakettle to form the "Y" in "YMCA" then land harmlessly, like a discarded burger wrapper, at Josh Allen's feet as he makes his throw.

Since I was one who called Motor out for his poor blocking skills in 2019, I feel it behooves me to show some appreciation for this almost FredEx-worthy RB block on a LB.

Consider yourself "behooved"

I have always believed in Singletary. My belief in the ability of our O-line to create working room for him - not so much.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Don't know what happened to Mongo this season.  When he came back from injury last year the O-line played much more physical, and he did a nice job filling in at center when Morse was hurt.  He just doesn't seem to be the same player.

Didn't he drop a lot of weight for no reason whatsoever?  That may have something to do with it.  He was blown up consistently on Sunday.

Singletary's a damn good blocker. He has been since he got here. The reason he's not thought of here in that way is that Moss is even better, among the absolute best in the league. But Singletary is not far behind.

I don't think it's any kind of coincidence that both of the RBs they brought in are excellent pass blockers.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, boater said:

Is it him, or is it Daboll's playcalling? Or the offensive line? He has produced nothing. Zilch. Nada. Moss isn't better. Maybe our RB just suck.

I had not realized that the laws of mathematics had been changed such that 5.1 YPC (8th in the NFL this year) has somehow become equal to zilch and nada.

It's neither him, nor the offensive line nor Daboll, it's the perception of people who think our RBs have done nothing.

Fair enough that neither is elite nor anything close. But they're both solid backs.

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I noticed this:

I think this is a great thread and I find myself defending Singletary nearly non-stop around here.  It's the same old, "just want to be right," crowd who takes a stance when a player is drafted, then tries to twist reality into fitting their narrative for said player's entire career.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.