Marcellus Wiley (Speak for yourself/music city)

major

7 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Hm, thought we did.  Regardless, there was like 16 seconds left.  It was not 4th down, we could have spiked it with a few seconds left

Does not really matter. We kicked off and they had time for the play.  The mid range kick was not a great idea either.  Kick it deep or squib kick it.  20/20 hindsight helps a lot. 

17 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Wade for not running the clock down to 2 or 3 seconds before the FG (we had a time out left)

We did not have a time out left.  Johnson had called a TO at 12:45 of the 4th, Holecek had called one on the field at 2:05, and we took one to ice DelGreco at 1:53 before his FG.

I was at the game.  Bills were pretty banged up and did not have all of their usual KO return special teamers available.

54 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Does not really matter. We kicked off and they had time for the play.  The mid range kick was not a great idea either.  Kick it deep or squib kick it.  20/20 hindsight helps a lot. 

Apparently Christie was overruled by DeHaven.  Christie wanted to kick it out of the end zone.  However, as I recall we had a lot of defensive injuries late in the game.

9 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Apparently Christie was overruled by DeHaven.  Christie wanted to kick it out of the end zone.  However, as I recall we had a lot of defensive injuries late in the game.

That's surprising.  I recall Christie rarely getting touchbacks anymore.  Keep in mind that the kickoff was from the 30 then.  

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

If we had kicked the FG at the gun there never would have been a kickoff

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

We did not have a time out left.  Johnson had called a TO at 12:45 of the 4th, Holecek had called one on the field at 2:05, and we took one to ice DelGreco at 1:53 before his FG.

I was at the game.  Bills were pretty banged up and did not have all of their usual KO return special teamers available.

Ouch...you were there?  Anyway, could we have not run the clock down and spiked it?  Pretty sure it was not 4th down 

18 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am no expert, but a wholesale breakdown in lane discipline suggests a coaching failure of Some kind. 

By the way, I never understood why teams in those types of situations don’t just kick the ball out of bounds. Back then, I think the penalty too was ball at the 35— so you had to go a bit more to even get into Hail Mary range. 

I'd guess the reason for not kicking out of bounds is statistically more teams can score by throwing a long TD pass than returning the KO for a TD.  Besides this game I don't think I've ever seen a TD made on KO return involving laterals.  Also don't recall but wasn't it a squib kick?  That forced Tenn to field the ball and started the clock.  So kicking off and making them field it took most time off clock too.

19 hours ago, folz said:

Maybe he was in the Flutie camp and so is referring to Rob Johnson (but if memory serves, Rob played fairly well in the game and we had a chance to win---though I thought and wanted Flutie to start that game too). Otherwise, I doubt he would be singling out, say, one special teamer...saying it was their fault (on that particular play). It seemed the whole ST blew that play...but I guess there could have been one ST player who was meant to play (final) contain and left his post.

Other options: He could put that game on the refs for not calling it a forward pass...but the mental health part of that question wouldn't really make sense then. The refs in that game were worried about their physical health (not their mental health) if they had disallowed the TD in a hostile Tenn atmosphere.

I had no problem with Johnson playing that game.  The first year Flutie was here, he played great and helped them win many games.  The second season they were still winning, but was more because of defense, seemed teams had figured him out by then, were making him pass to outside and he didn't have the arm for that and were better containing the running.

Having said all that, do seem to recall he was a big Flutie fan so wouldn't be surprised if his comment was directed at Johnson.

20 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

If we had kicked the FG at the gun there never would have been a kickoff

Ouch...you were there?  Anyway, could we have not run the clock down and spiked it?  Pretty sure it was not 4th down 

Yes that was a point of controversy.  We had a 1st & 10 at the Titan 23.  20 seconds left when we kicked the FG, :16 when it went through the uprights.  DeHaven wanted to run a couple of sideline outs, then kick the FG, but Wade with no timeouts overruled him.  Yes, should have run the clock to :03 and kicked the FG.   

I was working in Nashville at the time, and one of our vendors asked me if I wanted tickets, as he was not going to be able to use them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just to show how spoiled we are today as bills fans.......we just went through a week where we scores on ALMOST every time we had the ball......and there are actually blaming a driving in the 3rd quarter or whatever on the loss.

Completely disregarding the fact that our defense LITERALLY could not get a stop the entire second half

On 10/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, folz said:

Maybe he was in the Flutie camp and so is referring to Rob Johnson (but if memory serves, Rob played fairly well in the game and we had a chance to win---though I thought and wanted Flutie to start that game too). Otherwise, I doubt he would be singling out, say, one special teamer...saying it was their fault (on that particular play). It seemed the whole ST blew that play...but I guess there could have been one ST player who was meant to play (final) contain and left his post.

Other options: He could put that game on the refs for not calling it a forward pass...but the mental health part of that question wouldn't really make sense then. The refs in that game were worried about their physical health (not their mental health) if they had disallowed the TD in a hostile Tenn atmosphere.

He threw for 160 yards (RJ).  He sucked, and Flutie brought them all of those wins to get to the wildcard game.  Wade was eventually going to get fired.  He shouldve said screw you Ralph and played Flutie.  If they won and made it closer to the SB, he would've been forgiven.  We were better than the Titans.  We could've made it to the Rams, and that would've been fun. The #1 punishing defense against the Greatest Show on Turf.  Big Old Teddie would've sat on Marshall Faulk and stopped him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, Bills fan since 87 said:

Wade for not running the clock down to 2 or 3 seconds before the FG (we had a time out left)

This game created the strategy of running the clock down to 2 or 3 seconds. Before this game, the common wisdom was to preserve downs and time in the event of a bad snap. 

On 10/22/2021 at 1:55 PM, folz said:

Rob Johnson threw for 131 yards, had a completion percentage of 45.5%, thew zero TD's, and was sacked 6 times, for a wonderful rating of 64.8.

Those who say he had a good game are either misremembering or trying to sell you something.

He DID have a final drive where he led the team down for a score (bringing the total to 16 points). But that's about all he was good for.

Rob Johnson was a terrible QB.

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

RJ.  Team didn’t respect that loser.

Yes, we should all be able to agree that he was a loser, regardless of where everyone was on the Flute vs Johnson debate. He was great at losing games. He was 9-17 as a starter in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

He threw for 160 yards (RJ).  He sucked, and Flutie brought them all of those wins to get to the wildcard game.  Wade was eventually going to get fired.  He shouldve said screw you Ralph and played Flutie.  If they won and made it closer to the SB, he would've been forgiven.  We were better than the Titans.  We could've made it to the Rams, and that would've been fun. The #1 punishing defense against the Greatest Show on Turf.  Big Old Teddie would've sat on Marshall Faulk and stopped him.

The Bills had the lead in that game and would've met the Rams had Porter did his damn job and stayed in his lane. I would've preferably kicked in out of the end zone and made them go 80 yards. So I blame both Porter and whoever decided to give them the opportunity to return the kickoff

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The Bills had the lead in that game and would've met the Rams had Porter did his damn job and stayed in his lane. I would've preferably kicked in out of the end zone and made them go 80 yards. So I blame both Porter and whoever decided to give them the opportunity to return the kickoff

Well, i mean we still would have to have won 2 games on the road still to meet the Rams.  No guarantee there

23 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Yes that was a point of controversy.  We had a 1st & 10 at the Titan 23.  20 seconds left when we kicked the FG, :16 when it went through the uprights.  DeHaven wanted to run a couple of sideline outs, then kick the FG, but Wade with no timeouts overruled him.  Yes, should have run the clock to :03 and kicked the FG.   

I was working in Nashville at the time, and one of our vendors asked me if I wanted tickets, as he was not going to be able to use them.

Dehaven’s plan might burn 6 to 8 seconds.   If Johnson gets picked, or takes a sack, or we get a penalty we have no time outs and then we can discuss why he didn’t just kick  for 3.  

The clock management ultimately lost the game.  As stated, it was 1st and 10 at the Titans' 23 and they had just taken their 1st timeout prior to the FG try to stop the clock at :20.  You run the ball twice and the Titans are forced to take their remaining TOs, and if they don't, can at least spike the ball.  Then kick the FG on 3rd down leaving 10 seconds or so left.  Then you kickoff into the endzone.  Why they had to kick it on 1st down and with :20 left is anyone's guess. Heck, even kneel-downs would have worked since it would have made the kick a 42-yarder instead of 40.

13 hours ago, MJS said:

Rob Johnson threw for 131 yards, had a completion percentage of 45.5%, thew zero TD's, and was sacked 6 times, for a wonderful rating of 64.8.

And one of those sacks was in the end zone. Flutie was more mobile and most likely wouldn't have taken that safety.

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

And one of those sacks was in the end zone. Flutie was more mobile and most likely wouldn't have taken that safety.

Yet Flutie also was more prone to turnovers, there's no telling for sure we would have been in better position to win or lose with him starting. 

On 10/22/2021 at 6:02 PM, Rico said:

Easiest to just blame Ralph anyways. Because Ralph.

Ya gotta admit, Ralph by that time wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed…, and the next near two decades proves this out…, 

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Those who say he had a good game are either misremembering or trying to sell you something.

He DID have a final drive where he led the team down for a score (bringing the total to 16 points). But that's about all he was good for.

Rob Johnson was a terrible QB.

Yes, we should all be able to agree that he was a loser, regardless of where everyone was on the Flute vs Johnson debate. He was great at losing games. He was 9-17 as a starter in Buffalo.

Flutie was also awful.  His completion percentage while in Buffalo was about 56, RJ had 60.  Neither Flutie or RJ ever won a playoff game.   They both were overrated by their respective fans, both were backup level players.  

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Flutie was also awful.  His completion percentage while in Buffalo was about 56, RJ had 60.  Neither Flutie or RJ ever won a playoff game.   They both were overrated by their respective fans, both were backup level players.  

Flutie was figured-out midway through the 1999 season.  RJ was a sack-taking injury-prone guy. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.