Thurs nite football: Jaguars at Bengals

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Hate going for 4th down there. Being up 17-0 Has the same impact at this stage as being up 21-0. Three scores, and really burying the Bengals in a hole. 

Nothing wrong with going for it, but if you are running a QB sneak you don't do it from shotgun.  Meyer should go back to college.

3 minutes ago, QCity said:

Half the distance. It can never reach the endzone.

They could call an unsportsmanlike penalty, then after two of those they could award 6 to the opponent. Never happens, but it is in the old-time part of the rules.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Nothing wrong with going for it, but if you are running a QB sneak you don't do it from shotgun.  Meyer should go back to college.

i don’t know. You can go up by 3 scores going into the half. Bengals get the ball first in the second half too. What you have done now by not scoring the 3 is you can let the Bengals back in the game with a TD out of the half and it is suddenly 1-score game.

There are sort of diminishing marginal returns the more you can go up on a team and the earlier you can do it, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

That would be true if the ball had no length, but it does.  The front edge of the ball can move halfway back but at some point the back end crosses the plane.

Nope! They measure from a single point on the ball, the tip. They will never award as safety in that situation. The opposite holds true as well - if they are 1 inch away from a score and the defense jumps Offside, they will never award a touchdown.

• Agree 2

Just now, QCity said:

Nope! They measure from a single point on the ball, the tip. They will never award as safety in that situation. The opposite holds true as well - if they are 1 inch away from a score and the defense jumps Offside, they will never award a touchdown.

Are you saying footballs can defy the laws of physics?

• Like (+1) 2

i don’t know. You can go up by 3 scores going into the half. Bengals get the ball first in the second half too. What you have done now by not scoring the 3 is you can let the Bengals back in the game with a TD out of the half and it is suddenly 1-score game.

There are sort of diminishing marginal returns the more you can go up on a team and the earlier you can do it, IMO. 

I agree.  Give your rookie QB as much breathing room as you can especially on the road.

Not scoring put a big negative on his head going into the locker room.

Bad decision the way I see it.

1 minute ago, QCity said:

I mean there are special rules the refs have if a team is actually doing something like this that give them a lot of leeway with what they can do all the way to potentially making a team forfeit. I'd say if it came to that they'd probably go with a safety.

Josh gets the TD in that situation and there no reason why Lawrence don't either.  Good idea to go for it but horrible use of the QB.  If you're going to play it the way Meyer did, then I agree with you. I'd rather kick a field goal than do a QB run out of shotgun from the 1. 

3 minutes ago, QCity said:

but it’s always the tip if the ball closest to the opponent’s end zone… isn’t it?

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Are you saying footballs can defy the laws of physics?

Yes!

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean there are special rules the refs have if a team is actually doing something like this that give them a lot of leeway with what they can do all the way to potentially making a team forfeit. I'd say if it came to that they'd probably go with a safety.

Maybe if it went on long enough? Also, since this game is so exciting, the Bengals didn't have to run a 2nd QB sneak there. Since the clock was running, they could have waited until 10 sec were left on the clock and just intentionally false started for the 10 sec runoff and end of half.

23 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Lawrence's throw to Shenault was Allen-esque.

Lawrence reminds me of early Josh where he's not one of the top QBs in the league or anything but he's got a strong arm, he's a pretty good runner and he's very competitive so even if he's not pure greatness (yet?) he is darn fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1