Thurs nite football: Jaguars at Bengals

I am Not sure it would have made a difference, But Urban Meyer did not coach a tactically sound game— two key misses to me:

1) As I said up thread, you kick that FG in the second quarter to build that 3-score cushion. Instead, they didn’t get it and he let the Bengals back in it.

2) 4th and 4 on the last jags offensive possession— 5 minutes left and ball at midfield and the offense was looking good, and defense is looking terrible. You have to go for it. Go and win the game at that point! 

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am Not sure it would have made a difference, But Urban Meyer did not coach a tactically sound game— two key misses to me:

1) As I said up thread, you kick that FG in the second quarter to build that 3-score cushion. Instead, they didn’t get it and he let the Bengals back in it.

2) 4th and 4 on the last jags offensive possession— 5 minutes left and ball at midfield and the offense was looking good, and defense is looking terrible. You have to go for it. Go and win the game at that point! 

Also burning through his timeouts so quick didn't really help.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Bengals secure 1st place in the AFCN for another week.  Chalk up another conference win.

Their OL played a good game.  Looks like they really upgraded from last year.

They played two halves.  Jailbreak in the first and solid in the 2nd.  Seem better at run blocking than pass protection

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

but how about that offensive holding call on Spain? He literally didn’t touch the defender.That could have cost the Bengals the game. 

If it was the call I saw he had a grip on the guys arm and swung him around by it

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So ... where does Joe Burrow fit in the ranks of recent (2018 or later) 1st round QBs? Is it now Allen, Lamar, then Herbert/Burrow/Murray tied for 3rd?

I'd say he's right there with Mayfield he can get the job done but I don't know if I'd consider him really exceptional in any way.

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So ... where does Joe Burrow fit in the ranks of recent (2018 or later) 1st round QBs? Is it now Allen, Lamar, then Herbert/Burrow/Murray tied for 3rd?

I would add Baker Mayfield to that last group.  Burrow is a reincarnation of Bengal's great Ken Anderson.  The AFC is freaking loaded at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm putting Herbert ahead of the other 2. He's looking like Josh West to me. Burrow very good though. AFC is stacked with young QBs

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

I'd say he's right there with Mayfield he can get the job done but I don't know if I'd consider him really exceptional in any way.

Both Mayfield and Herbert have far better talent around them, and protecting them, than what Burrow has dealt with.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If it was the call I saw he had a grip on the guys arm and swung him around by it

i just re-watched it just now again in case I was wrong. He didn’t touch him. It looked like Spain tried to grab his arm, but totally whiffed and the defender came in at a weird angle. There was almost no contact between them at all. 

that was sort of emblematic of a lot of ticky tack offensive and defensive holds and illegal Contact penalties they called all night. Some were legit, but most were way too ticky tack, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Both Mayfield and Herbert have far better talent around them, and protecting them, than what Burrow has dealt with.

Yeah which is why things are probably going to be rougher for Burrow this year than either of them, though Herbert is probably at least neck and neck with Lamar if not out right QB3 in the AFC

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I would add Baker Mayfield to that last group.  Burrow is a reincarnation of Bengal's great Ken Anderson.  The AFC is freaking loaded at QB.

Both excellent points. Kenny Anderson was my favorite QB of his era.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Depends what your criteria are.  Best QB right now?  Best QB to have for the next 10 years?  I’d say, Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Burrow, Murray, but it’s real close.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Probably Trevor Lawrence's best game so far.

He looked very comfortable. Gotta give Urban credit for a solid gameplan.

• Agree 2

Friday morning reflections:

- Slow the horses on the Trevor Lawrence hate which was strong after last weekend. The kid is supremely talented. He is going to be just fine. The Jags still need to put more pieces around him but he had a real good night and hard to put any of this defeat on him.

- I thought the Jags got the rough end of the penalty deal. Especially on that final drive. One of those hands to the face penalties felt very bogus and the shot of Urban on the sideline he looked bemused and furious in equal measure. That might have been the moment the penny dropped - no Buckeye Benefits anymore coach!

- The reason the Bengals could get almost nothing going first half was because yet again - they couldn't protect Burrow. Nice adjustment at half time to go to the quick passing game, lots of slants and shallow crossers second half but this rather goes back to the debate around draft time.... Chase is a great receiver but second half he almost disappeared because the short game meant more Boyd out of the slot and use of the Tight End. The Bengals should have prioritised blocking over pass catching for me. 

- Think fair play to the Bengals defense which is much improved. I was quite harsh on Lou Anorumo last year as their DC but they are currently top 10 in yards and points per game given up without really making lots of big high profile additions. It is guys like Eli Apple and Trae Waynes, other people's trash and getting really solid play out of Logan Wilson and Akeem Gaither-Davis two mid-round linebackers from their 2020 draft class. 

- Still not sure Cincy are a playoff team as it stands but they could give Baltimore or Cleveland a shock loss or two this year that muddles up that playoff picture. Punchy team. If they can just get a couple of improvements on the offensive line and maybe one top level corner this team could make some noise next year.  

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Are you suggesting that Brady is going to be playing for 10 more years?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

- Slow the horses on the Trevor Lawrence hate which was strong after last weekend. The kid is supremely talented. He is going to be just fine. The Jags still need to put more pieces around him but he had a real good night and hard to put any of this defeat on him.

- I thought the Jags got the rough end of the penalty deal. Especially on that final drive. One of those hands to the face penalties felt very bogus and the shot of Urban on the sideline he looked bemused and furious in equal measure. That might have been the moment the penny dropped - no Buckeye Benefits anymore coach!

- The reason the Bengals could get almost nothing going first half was because yet again - they couldn't protect Burrow. Nice adjustment at half time to go to the quick passing game, lots of slants and shallow crossers second half but this rather goes back to the debate around draft time.... Chase is a great receiver but second half he almost disappeared because the short game meant more Boyd out of the slot and use of the Tight End. The Bengals should have prioritised blocking over pass catching for me. 

- Think fair play to the Bengals defense which is much improved. I was quite harsh on Lou Anorumo last year as their DC but they are currently top 10 in yards and points per game given up without really making lots of big high profile additions. It is guys like Eli Apple and Trae Waynes, other people's trash and getting really solid play out of Logan Wilson and Akeem Gaither-Davis two mid-round linebackers from their 2020 draft class. 

- Still not sure Cincy are a playoff team as it stands but they could give Baltimore or Cleveland a shock loss or two this year that muddles up that playoff picture. Punchy team. If they can just get a couple of improvements on the offensive line and maybe one top level corner this team could make some noise next year.  

Nice points.  I'd be delighted if the Bengals get good enough to give the Browns and the Ravens a loss each.  No telling who the Bills' competition for first seed will be, or whether we'll need help like that.

Lots of good young QBs right now, but it's still gonna be rough for the teams who haven't landed their guy yet.

Some of those good young QBs are going to have to endure a few years of misery before winning.  Zach Wilson for example will have to get beat up for four years with the Jets before getting to go to an NFL team.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Bengals’ o-line looked awful, esp in the first half, but I doubt Sewell would have changed that.  They were getting over-run.  Chase is a weapon that can be moved all over the field to cause matchup problems for the defense and he catches the ball even when he’s not “open”. The Bengals made the right pick.  BTW, where was Tee Higgins last night?

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Bengals’ o-line looked awful, esp in the first half, but I doubt Sewell would have changed that.  They were getting over-run.  Chase is a weapon that can be moved all over the field to cause matchup problems for the defense and he catches the ball even when he’s not “open”. The Bengals made the right pick.  BTW, where was Tee Higgins last night?

Tee was hurt. He and Jessie Bates both missed the game injured. I am not going to tell you that Sewell has been dominant off the bat for Detroit and so would have immediately made that tire fire line better, but he has had a solid start to his career and I still think that is the way they should have gone. You have to protect your Quarterback. We have seen already this season here how Josh got unsettled by chaos in front of him. We saw it for both Burrow and Lawrence at times las night. For me it was the wrong pick and my view hasn't changed one bit. No knock on Chase. He is a very talented player. But Cincinnati needed to make a determined effort to improve that line. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tee was hurt. He and Jessie Bates both missed the game injured. I am not going to tell you that Sewell has been dominant off the bat for Detroit and so would have immediately made that tire fire line better, but he has had a solid start to his career and I still think that is the way they should have gone. You have to protect your Quarterback. We have seen already this season here how Josh got unsettled by chaos in front of him. We saw it for both Burrow and Lawrence at times las night. For me it was the wrong pick and my view hasn't changed one bit. No knock on Chase. He is a very talented player. But Cincinnati needed to make a determined effort to improve that line. 

The Bengals drafted three offensive linemen this year (including their second round pick) and their starting LT was a top 10 pick in 2019.  Chase is going to be a problem for opposing defenses for a long time. He was the right pick.

• Disagree 1

Just now, mannc said:

The Bengals drafted three offensive linemen this year (including their second round pick) and their starting LT was a top 10 pick in 2019.  Chase is going to be a problem for opposing defenses for a long time. He was the right pick.

None of them are Penei Sewell. Chase will be a problem if they can keep Burrow upright. At the moment, they can't. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

None of them are Penei Sewell. Chase will be a problem if they can keep Burrow upright. At the moment, they can't. 

I haven’t seen the Bengals until last night.  Was the pass pro that bad in their first three games, or did Jags’ D just have a good game?