Super Bowl Halftime: Dr Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Mary J Blige

DrDawkinstein

14 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Way too much rap for me, I’ll skip this one.

Can we please get Metallica before it’s too late. 

It's already too late for Metallica.    They havent put out a good album in 25 years, and James is posting videos of himself playing horrible acoustic music.

If it had to be rap at the very least its a list of talented MCs.  Just happy its not Machine Gun Kelly or BTS.   Post Malone would have been a decent choice given whats available these days. 

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's already too late for Metallica.    They havent put out a good album in 25 years, and James is posting videos of himself playing horrible acoustic music.

If it had to be rap at the very least its a list of talented MCs.  Just happy its not Machine Gun Kelly or BTS.   Post Malone would have been a decent choice given whats available these days. 

If/when the Super Bowl goes through Dallas next, I could see him getting the nod. They've been sticking to a "home town" theme when possible. Like this SB in LA, and Big Boi and Travis Scott in Atlanta, etc.

7 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Meh, but I am getting to be an old fart... sigh.... who?

Must be real old, because Dr Dre hit the scene over 35 years ago, and Snoops famous debut album dropped 30 years ago. Even Eminem is coming up on 25 years! (Crap, I'M getting old!)

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

If/when the Super Bowl goes through Dallas next, I could see him getting the nod. They've been sticking to a "home town" theme when possible. Like this SB in LA, and Big Boi and Travis Scott in Atlanta, etc.

Makes sense.   I know a lot of people put him in the Pop bucket, and thats probably fair, but at the very least he is a decent musician.   Given the fact that he is style ambidextrous there would be a lot of opportunities to bring in a lot of different types of guest musicians.  

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Makes sense.   I know a lot of people put him in the Pop bucket, and thats probably fair, but at the very least he is a decent musician.   Given the fact that he is style ambidextrous there would be a lot of opportunities to bring in a lot of different types of guest musicians.  

I the SB is in Dallas they should have Jimmy Vaughan.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am not a fan of rap music, but if I have to listen to rap - it would definitely be Snoop and/or Eminem.  I don't know much about the other artists, other than their names.  I'm pretty excited about this, actually.  I bet it turns out to be pretty cool.

I've given up on anything ever coming close to the Prince halftime show.  He set the bar and I don't see anyone reaching it.

But everything Snoop touches is gold, in my opinion.  I hope he gets the most time.

Anyone can say what they want about the others, but everyone loves Snoop!

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mango said:

Country singers have been singing America the Beautiful at the opening pretty regularly. Luke Bryant, Carrie Underwood, and Faith Hill come to mind. 

Plus Kid Rock and Shania Twain have done the halftime show. 

Country is currently the 4th most popular genre in the US. 

Rock and Pop have been dominating all things music at the super bowl for some time, while rap and hip hop have been very much neglected considering they are the number one streamed music genre and number 2 in actual album sales. 

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/nearly-a-third-of-all-streams-in-the-us-last-year-were-of-hip-hop-and-rb-music/

I guess she isn’t country anymore, but I’m surprised they haven’t gotten Taylor Swift to do the halftime show. Very few people anymore can fill football stadiums like she can.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I feel like rap is best in the club, or in the car...live, though? Not sure how well that will translate- especially when, at least half the fans in the stadium are probably not fans...

You never see the stands, just the “volunteers” and “extras” on the field going crazy, greatest show ever!!!1

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think they ought to do away with musical acts at Super Bowl half time entirely. They're always over-produced and mediocre, they're running out of good acts wiling to do the shows, and most people change the channel to Puppy Bowl anyway.

So you may be asking: What do you suggest instead, Logic? Well, I'll tell you: Ya ever been to a football game and seen where, at halftime, they throw the frisbees really long distances and dogs go and catch them mid-air in acrobatic leaps? Like they run 60 yards at a dead sprint and then do a run-and-jump off a step and fly into the air majestically and catch the frisbee and the crowd goes wild? Right. Well, just track those things all over the country throughout the season, and find out who the very best frisbee catching acrobat dog is. The goodest boy, if you will. And bring him to the Super Bowl, and let him go do his thing for the duration of halftime.

You may be rolling your eyes or saying that this would never work. But be honest with me: If they had a really excellent acrobat dog doing sprint-and-catch daredevil frisbee tricks, WOULDN'T YOU WATCH IT?! You can't tell me you wouldn't. Wouldn't your WIFE watch it? Wouldn't you and your drunken friends bet on the outcomes of each throw? Wouldn't it be a uniting spectacle for all of America in a time of great discord? 

It would be the best and you know it. It's what they should do. I'm certain of it.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

Let's be objective here...

Shows from the last 10 years:

2021:  The Weeknd

2020:  Shakira and JLo

2019:  Maroon 5

2018:  Justin Timberlake

2017:  Lady Gaga

2016:  Coldplay

2015:  Katy Perry

2014:  Bruno Mars

2013:  Beyonce

2012:  Madonna

2011:  Black Eyed Peas

Not very diverse, in terms of musical genres.

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think they ought to do away with musical acts at Super Bowl half time entirely. They're always over-produced and mediocre, they're running out of good acts wiling to do the shows, and most people change the channel to Puppy Bowl anyway.

So you may be asking: What do you suggest instead, Logic? Well, I'll tell you: Ya ever been to a football game and seen where, at halftime, they throw the frisbees really long distances and dogs go and catch them mid-air in acrobatic leaps? Like they run 60 yards at a dead sprint and then do a run-and-jump off a step and fly into the air majestically and catch the frisbee and the crowd goes wild? Right. Well, just track those things all over the country throughout the season, and find out who the very best frisbee catching acrobat dog is. The goodest boy, if you will. And bring him to the Super Bowl, and let him go do his thing for the duration of halftime.

You may be rolling your eyes or saying that this would never work. But be honest with me: If they had a really excellent acrobat dog doing sprint-and-catch daredevil frisbee tricks, WOULDN'T YOU WATCH IT?! You can't tell me you wouldn't. Wouldn't your WIFE watch it? Wouldn't you and your drunken friends bet on the outcomes of each throw? Wouldn't it be a uniting spectacle for all of America in a time of great discord? 

It would be the best and you know it. It's what they should do. I'm certain of it.

I always liked it when they brought the kids out on the field and let them play some flag football. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Wake and bake ftw!

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wake and bake ftw!

When you and the wife are watching a pristine Labrador named Professor Wiggle Bottom defy gravity and catch a frisbee mid backflip instead of a Goo-Goo Dolls/ Matchbox 20 collaboration, you'll thank me AND the joint I flew in on.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

For those who haven't heard of Kendrick Lamar, here's one of his more accessible numbers:

For those who haven't heard of the other three, I can tell you that there's some really good music outside of the rock you're apparently living under.

If that is “good music”, I guess I will stay under the rock. 😂😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

I've always thought (and I'm being completely serious here) that Weird Al Yankovic would be an amazing SB halftime show. There used to be a petition that circulated every season for a few years. One thing that a lot of people don't realize about Weird Al is that, along with being weird, and funny, he's actually an incredibly talented musician. I saw him, with his band, do a polka/rock&roll fusion medley of Prince songs once, and it was jaw-dropping.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've always thought (and I'm being completely serious here) that Weird Al Yankovic would be an amazing SB halftime show. There used to be a petition that circulated every season for a few years. One thing that a lot of people don't realize about Weird Al is that, along with being weird, and funny, he's actually an incredibly talented musician. I saw him, with his band, do a polka/rock&roll fusion medley of Prince songs once, and it was jaw-dropping.

I'm sure he would do an amazing job. I bet he'd write a bunch of new songs specifically for the occasion, picking great songs to parody and then writing football lyrics to them. 

It would probably be better received than 99% of the recent halftime shows, and it would be the most talked about element of the game on social media.

Alas, they'll just keep shoving "flavor of the month" pop music at as for years to come (this year excepted).

• Like (+1) 1

I would love to be a fly on the wall during the time when the SB committee is deciding on the performers.  Who were choices 2, 3 and 4?  I realize they will never make everyone happy as we all have different musical tastes.  So they hopefully make a pick that will please the majority, and assume the rest watch anyways in hopes that it is as bad as they expected. 

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm sure he would do an amazing job. I bet he'd write a bunch of new songs specifically for the occasion, picking great songs to parody and then writing football lyrics to them. 

It would probably be better received than 99% of the recent halftime shows, and it would be the most talked about element of the game on social media.

Alas, they'll just keep shoving "flavor of the month" pop music at as for years to come (this year excepted).

2 minutes ago, BTB said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall during the time when the SB committee is deciding on the performers.  Who were choices 2, 3 and 4?  I realize they will never make everyone happy as we all have different musical tastes.  So they hopefully make a pick that will please the majority, and assume the rest watch anyways in hopes that it is as bad as they expected. 

With the inclusion of Dr Dre (a founding member of NWA) and Kendrick Lamar, I don't believe there has ever been a halftime show as politically charged as this.

28 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Let's be objective here...

Shows from the last 10 years:

2021:  The Weeknd

2020:  Shakira and JLo

2019:  Maroon 5

2018:  Justin Timberlake

2017:  Lady Gaga

2016:  Coldplay

2015:  Katy Perry

2014:  Bruno Mars

2013:  Beyonce

2012:  Madonna

2011:  Black Eyed Peas

Not very diverse, in terms of musical genres.

I always liked it when they brought the kids out on the field and let them play some flag football. 

At least with Bruno Mars the Red Hot Chili Peppers made an appearance ... That was the last real rock act and that was 2014

I'd rather see AIC and Soundgarden with holograms of Layne Staley and Chris Cornell

• Like (+1) 1

BETs best of 1998 line up, with 2015 sensation kendrick lamar thrown in!

about a year or so ago i wouldn't have minded this line up, but in my gym the coach's spottify play list always ends up being eminem and dr dre.  like always.  the irony of Cinderella man by eminem playing while im hitting pads was almost too much the first time i heard it.  now it's unbearable.

13 hours ago, MJS said:

Maybe they should have people from multiple genres to appeal to the largest crowd instead of throwing all their eggs into one or two baskets.

Not that it matters. Nobody cares about halftime shows.

I don't think players are who the halftime shows are for.

Trust and believe the players are excited about this particular one.  

13 hours ago, Governor said:

That’s pop country and it all sucks.

Likely the NFL would bring in pop country crap. But there is some good stuff out there too, check out Sturgil Simpson or Colter Wall. 

And for the record, Id listen to Chris Stapleton sing anything. Hell, put him in lead with Soundgarten or AIC, and I bet you get an amazing show. 

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stanley Lombardi said:

Not to be scatological, but I love the Super Bowl halftime show.  It affords me extra time for my yearly Super Toilet Bowl bowel movement.  What I leave behind has usually proven to be superior in quality to the sh!tshow on my tv screen.

Have you ever heard the term TMI?

8 minutes ago, Stanley Lombardi said:

Not to be scatological, but I love the Super Bowl halftime show.  It affords me extra time for my yearly Super Toilet Bowl bowel movement.  What I leave behind has usually proven to be superior in quality to the sh!tshow on my tv screen.

Lol, I remember when back in the day the wife would surprise me at half time with one of those "delightful, stress relieving gifts". Those days are long gone now lol

• Haha (+1) 1