Super Bowl Halftime: Dr Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Mary J Blige

DrDawkinstein

21 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

has rock died? rock n roll will never die but for some reason, may be a generational thing, sb shows lack rock n roll acts. 

I'll take a nap during half time anyway. these days a man needs his nap.

Rock isnt dead. It's just back in the clubs and dive bars. Not many new rock acts that can hold up on the BIG stage, nor do they put on a flashy show with dancers and sets and props and all the extras that go into actual entertainment outside of just music.

Not even sure which semi-older acts you'd be able to find. QOTSA, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam? (All those guys are in their 50s now btw)

But outside of playing 3-4 songs, what is "the show" going to look like? Where is all the flash and big show for something the scale of the Super Bowl?

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, MJS said:

People aren't allowed to dislike certain music genres?

You are entitled to like Whoever you want. At the same time I love this lineup. Sure I would love to see Metallica, Megadeth, Testament and Slayer do a halftime set together but today I'm just being an a$$😊

Isn't Snoop guilty of capital murder? He drove a car in a drive by that killed someone? And didn't Dre's son OD off heroin? Eminem OD'ed too and pulled a gun on someone? And all these owners and players and musicians and businesses are only their because they bailed themselves out. No one wants their stuff. Hmm. Maybe I should start a career of murder. Looks like it pays.

• Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

has rock died? rock n roll will never die but for some reason, may be a generational thing, sb shows lack rock n roll acts. 

Yeah I was diggin it the time Slash popped up and worked his magic with the guitar. Was short but awesome...

Would love to see Metallica do it. Have seen them live twice years back and was great!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Rock isnt dead. It's just back in the clubs and dive bars. Not many new rock acts that can hold up on the BIG stage, nor do they put on a flashy show with dancers and sets and props and all the extras that go into actual entertainment outside of just music.

Not even sure which semi-older acts you'd be able to find. QOTSA, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam? (All those guys are in their 50s now btw)

But outside of playing 3-4 songs, what is "the show" going to look like? Where is all the flash and big show for something the scale of the Super Bowl?

Rock music might not be dead, but it’s culturally irrelevant. Rock will always be an important part of my life, but I can’t avoid the truth. It’s a special niche, eventually becoming no different than opera or classical, as far as having limited appeal. I don’t think any genre ever really died, but they become a special interest. I can no longer use my interest in rock music as a conversation starter with people my age, the way I could a couple decades ago. The appeal of new rock music is very limited. You still have tons of baby boomers and younger people who listen to older acts, but interest in new rock music is a select few imo. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I bet all the tv execs thinking this is a cool fresh idea to have a bunch of 50+ rappers from the 90s do a half time show.

Meanwhile everyone under 25 won’t know who any of these people  

I like it, but I’m old 

I think they’re trying to pick a “safe” way to attempt cultural relevance. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

Rock music might not be dead, but it’s culturally irrelevant. Rock will always be an important part of my life, but I can’t avoid the truth. It’s a special niche, eventually becoming no different than opera or classical, as far as having limited appeal. I don’t think any genre ever really died, but they become a special interest. I can no longer use my interest in rock music as a conversation starter with people my age, the way I could a couple decades ago. The appeal of new rock music is very limited. You still have tons of baby boomers and younger people who listen to older acts, but interest in new rock music is a select few imo. 

True.

Plus it just isnt conducive to a "show". The NFL wants a "show", not a concert, not 5 guys standing on stage playing instruments for 4-5 songs. They want dancers, and costumes, and props, and sets, and special effects, and a big production.

Good luck getting James Hetfield to ride a big golden lion

katy-perry.jpg?w=1500

Or dance with sharks

2000.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, beavis said:

Isn't Snoop guilty of capital murder? He drove a car in a drive by that killed someone? And didn't Dre's son OD off heroin? Eminem OD'ed too and pulled a gun on someone? And all these owners and players and musicians and businesses are only their because they bailed themselves out. No one wants their stuff. Hmm. Maybe I should start a career of murder. Looks like it pays.

We don't know what he did or if he did anything back then. What we do know is "allegedly" his body guard shot and killed a gang member, however both snoop and his body guard were acquitted.

As for the 2nd bold, you may want to have a few million dollars before you start that career lol. It does seem to help way more often than not...

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

12 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

You are entitled to like Whoever you want. At the same time I love this lineup. Sure I would love to see Metallica, Megadeth, Testament and Slayer do a halftime set together but today I'm just being an a$$😊

I think music tastes are one of the most polarizing things there are. It comes down to personal taste and rarely are even two individuals aligned.

That's why I think they should cast a wide net. Pull in a country star, a rap star, a pop star, a rock star, all in one show.

None of it is for me. I listen to classical, 90's rock and pop, 50's and 60's rock, and some early 2000's music. I don't like rap (except for some early stuff) and hip hop. I don't like 80's rock and metal. I don't really like anything from today. But I would appreciate more diversity in their music choices for halftime and If I knew there was going to be some diversity I would be more likely to tune in instead of doing other things during halftime.

Plus I think it makes business sense to try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, even if I am never the target audience (which I know I never will be).

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Lol, I remember when back in the day the wife would surprise me at half time with one of those "delightful, stress relieving gifts". Those days are long gone now lol

Now the only thing she sucks is the joy out of life?

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think music tastes are one of the most polarizing things there are. It comes down to personal taste and rarely are even two individuals aligned.

That's why I think they should cast a wide net. Pull in a country star, a rap star, a pop star, a rock star, all in one show.

None of it is for me. I listen to classical, 90's rock and pop, 50's and 60's rock, and some early 2000's music. I don't like rap (except for some early stuff) and hip hop. I don't like 80's rock and metal. I don't really like anything from today. But I would appreciate more diversity in their music choices for halftime and If I knew there was going to be some diversity I would be more likely to tune in instead of doing other things during halftime.

Plus I think it makes business sense to try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, even if I am never the target audience (which I know I never will be).

I agree, it's hard to satisfy everyone's musical taste and accommodate everyone. There have been some crappy Halftime shows in recent past but I like the fact they try to switch the genres every year. I find it nothing wrong with diversifying your musical palette, taking a chance I found a crapload of songs outside of my typical musical comfort zone and I love that. An all genre performance is cool but it has to be done right where everything mesh and not sound like a sound clash.

Hope they roll the ‘64 with the switches onstage at some point like they did on the 02 Up In Smoke tour.

Was fortunate enough to get a spot as a backstage runner for the Buffalo stop of that tour. Actually had to run to a specialty electronics store to pick up new toggles for that car!  Also made a million trips to Anchor Bar that day.

Got to watch sound check which was awesome.

Eminem was checking and Dre and his crew were sitting about 15 rows deep on the floor seats, and when the song ended Dre shouted out “who brought the white boy???!!??” and everyone cracked up.

Slapped hands w Eminem in the tunnel, said whatup to Warren G & Nate Dogg while they were riding low rider bicycles around the empty arena. Walked next to a very angry Ice Cube while carrying some of his stuff back to the bus, his back was jacked up so he didn’t perform that night.

Oh and no one in the production office would sign for Snoop’s courier delivery 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Amorgus said:

You want a "show"? Halftime with Gwar and Rammstein.  Everyone will forget about Janet's nipple after THAT.

GWAR gets my vote!!

5 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Oh and no one in the production office would sign for Snoop’s courier delivery 😂 

"My favorite thing about the FedEx Delivery Man is that he's a drug dealer and he dont even know it!"

RIP Mitch Hedberg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Amorgus said:

GWAR dismembers Roger Goodell on stage, Rammstein performs a live sex act, then they all get an stage together and do the George Carlin universal sports cheer while an array of flamethrowers erupt.  Sponsored by Pampers.

I feel this really brings the diversity and "something for everyone" that @MJS was hoping for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo ill said:

Now the only thing she sucks is the joy out of life?

Lol, honestly I can say no. I consider myself lucky, or blessed, whatever you want to call it because I know that a high percentage of marriages get tough after a while, especially as long as I've been married.

Although those type of things are rare at this point, she's the best, sweetest, very good sense of humor woman I could ask for. So thankfully I lucked up and got a good one. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

As long as Suge Knight is alive, I dont trust it 😆

Yeah, actually you make a solid point. Forgot about that dirty *****. He was the main reason for a large majority of that ***** back then, if not all of it...I'm sure he has the connections to make things happen despite being in prison.

Talk about a dangerous, untrustworthy, and crazy guy that you couldn't turn your back to due to good chance you get shot in back of the head.....he's definitely is it. 

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

There's not much 'traditional' rock and roll coming out any more.  There's some pretty good rock/hip hop mashups out there, but the music we liked in the 80s is as dead as Tawny Kitaen

When the classic rock bands finish up dying out, im not sure what follows.  As the classic rock fans age out, it'll be interesting to see how much of that music survives in the popular conscious, say, 30 years from now

On a related note, I get a chuckle when I drive back to Buffalo and put 97 rock on and they're playing the exact same music that they were the day i left in 1988

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Halftime for me is a time to go to the bathroom and resupply game time snackage, for all I care the half time show can consist of Gregorian chants sung buy a choir with lisps.

just sayin 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

couple things. although '80's had some cool music, hair bands and the like, I'm more partial to the '60's & '70's rock.

as for 30 years from now, I'll be fortunate to be here another 10, so I'll never know. my daughter really likes the classic stuff and I've given her all my vinyl. she went out and got her a turntable and spins those discs so they shouldn't collect any dust for a while. now I'm working on the grandson and he seems to get in to the groove when I play an old tune.

as for the 21st century and rock being part of the big extravaganzas like the sb, it's a drag that it's pretty much dead to most of this generation but, it is what it is.

rock n roll will never die as long as I'm above ground and I'll take it with me when I go.

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Yeah I get it.  I'm partial to 80s rock & alt, but still have a ton of vinyl too.  my daughter has a turntable and likes the aesthetic of records, but listens to them from that perspective rather than a desire to hear Led Zeppelin II again.  Her spotify playlist is a bunch of bands (?) i've never heard of.  Most of it is OK though, just not what we're used to.

There is a guy from Buffalo named Grabbitz who is getting some play on alt radio.  a pretty fun video too, give it a minute

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Which one is the screamer? lol

Edit: I assume Mary J Blige ?

She’s the only one I don’t really understand being included. I’m far from an astute observer, but I thought it’s been a pretty long time since she was relevant. Even back then, I never thought she was really big, but I could be wrong.

• Agree 2