Week 4: Texans at Bills

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Good afternoon,

Ed Oliver is a bust.

Thank you,

It's cute how everyone is reacting negatively to this -- how much time does Oliver get? 3 years? 4 years? The jury should not be out on a top-10 pick anywhere near that long. As a top-10 pick, he's clearly a bust. "Serviceable" is nowhere near good enough for a top-10 pick. Frazier said they are expecting a breakout season. So far, that's not happening. If he were a third rounder, he wouldn't be a bust, but as a top-10 pick I don't see how he could be characterized otherwise. He's supposed to be a star and an impact player, but he's clearly not.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's cute how everyone is reacting negatively to this -- how much time does Oliver get? 3 years? 4 years? The jury should not be out on a top-10 pick anywhere near that long. As a top-10 pick, he's clearly a bust. "Serviceable" is nowhere near good enough for a top-10 pick. Frazier said they are expecting a breakout season. So far, that's not happening. If he were a third rounder, he wouldn't be a bust, but as a top-10 pick I don't see how he could be characterized otherwise. He's supposed to be a star and an impact player, but he's clearly not.

When nobody responds but you NEED them to....quote yourself!

• Haha (+1) 29
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

43 minutes ago, Muppy said:

next man UP! Our roster is deep Im not too concerned about the texans and lets see what happens

Go Bills!!

m

It's deep in some areas sure. imo the CB position is a little concerning , for me anyways. (knock on wood...don't believe in jinx's) if Tre goes down, or 2 CBs go down in same game like other week (which thankfully wasn't anything major), it wouldn't be good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I get it I guess, especially Feliciano with the concussion. Just hope we arent overlooking the Texans...

Also, likely we still win, but now won't cover that -17.5 points.

This team doesnt overlook anyone.  Why do people keep saying this stuff.  It should be clear by now that these guys at least stay focused on the week ahead.

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I can give you he hasn't been as good as expected. Has been pointed out by quite a few times before that his better games was with Star in the line up. However I agree that a little more is expected as a early 1sr rd pick.

imo I'm not ready to give him a bust label yet, I'm looking to see how he does with Star back and see if he does indeed have a break out season that was spoke about

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

There are other TBD whipping boys at the moment-- Edmunds, Ford, e.g. Ed's going to have to get in line.

EDIT: Agree, though. Ed Oliver's good will is getting pretty close to its expiration date.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I know hindsight is 20/20, but it's really irritating to know that we could very easily NOT have a guard problem right now.

Wyatt Teller was drafted by us. There's one guard position solved.

The draft pick used on Cody Ford, meanwhile, could have been used on Elgton Jenkins, who has already made a Pro Bowl and is one of the better interior o-linemen in the league. He was drafted seven spots after Ford. Dalton Risner was another option. He was taken four spots after Ford. Both, to this point in their careers, are vastly superior to Ford.

Nobody hits on 100% of their draft picks or personnel decisions, and everyone makes mistakes, but the poor guard play in Buffalo is GLARING right now when taking into account who we had and could've had on our roster.

Coulda woulda shoulda dep't is closed.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

52-10.  I think Buffalo scores early often and in all three phases of the game.   Some want to point to 2018 Bills vs Vikings.  The vast Majority of teams with wide spreads win and cover.   Allen is too talented.  The wrs are too talented.  

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Poyer was injured by Edmunds tackling HIM instead of the ballcarrier fyi.

Geez. So let me guess people are mad because Tremaine is tackling everyone  now. ISN'T THIS WHAT YOU PEOPLE WANTED?!?!!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As with the constant chatter of self appointed experts regarding the value of Tremaine Edmunds, thankfully the Bills will not rely on fan opinions to determine the value of Ed Oliver or any other players with respect to their past, present, and future contributions to the team.  I can guarantee you that the Bills definition of "bust" will be completely different than average Joe Fan around here.  I suspect they think they are getting pretty good production out of Ed Oliver, because, well, they are.  No, he is not Aaron Donald and never will be.  That does not make him a bust, nor does anyone's random definition of what a top ten pick should be.  

15 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Coulda woulda shoulda dep't is closed.  

Correct.  The absolutely most useless type of analysis is hindsight analysis.  Literally anyone can pick the right answer after the question has already been answered.  

Edited by FLFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I know hindsight is 20/20, but it's really irritating to know that we could very easily NOT have a guard problem right now.

The draft pick used on Cody Ford, meanwhile, could have been used on Elgton Jenkins, who has already made a Pro Bowl and is one of the better interior o-linemen in the league. He was drafted seven spots after Ford. Dalton Risner was another option. He was taken four spots after Ford. Both, to this point in their careers, are vastly superior to Ford.

Nobody hits on 100% of their draft picks or personnel decisions, and everyone makes mistakes, but the poor guard play in Buffalo is GLARING right now when taking into account who we had and could've had on our roster.

In the meantime, if Bills didn't draft Leif Larsen and drafted the QB picked 5 picks later .......

Edited by syhuang
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Quote yourself to make yourself seem even dumber to us. Thanks 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, syhuang said:

In the meantime, if Bills didn't draft Leif Larsen and drafted the QB picked 5 picks later .......

I think there's a lot of miles between "We should have drafted Tom Brady 21 years ago!" and "we shouldn't have traded away the guard that we drafted that immediately went on to become a Pro Bowler".

When your guard play stinks, and you're a season and a half removed from trading away a guard that is now top five at his position, I think it's a reasonable thing to discuss.

Edited by Logic
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think there's a lot of miles between "We should have drafted Tom Brady 21 years ago!" and "we shouldn't have traded away the guard that we drafted that immediately went on to become a Pro Bowler".

When your guard play stinks, and you're a season and a half removed from trading away a guard that is now top five at his position, I think it's a reasonable thing to discuss.

Image how many super bowls we would have already won with Brady in these 21 years. If we’re playing “what if” game, I definitely want Brady for last 21 years over any one else recently. 

Edited by syhuang
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This may be closer than we think as our secondary suddenly is pedestrian at best.  Will be interesting to see Frazier's gameplan.  

I definitely see what you’re saying, but I doubt it, since we’re playing against a rookie, third string, mid-round quarterback who is making his first road start with the Bills Mafia crowd.

8 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The problem is, is that you think almost every Bill is a bust.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

So everyone is entitled to their opinion....my question is do you actually watch the games or just read the box score......Oliver is not meeting expectations as the next great DT from the rams.......does he need to be to be considered a good player?   He puts pressure on the QB....is very good in run support......and takes on double teams on a routine basis.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm fine with sitting guys this week, it's the right move and we aren't losing at home to a weak team with a mid round rookie QB making his 2nd career start even if Allen and the defense aren't on the same level they were last week.

I REALLY hope the team isn't thinking that way. It is a recipe for disaster. I don't think fans should think that way either. 

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Holy crap. Get over it. 

2 hours ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Quote yourself to make yourself seem even dumber to us. Thanks 

I'm not sure there is a way for him to appear any dumber. When you are the bottom, there is nowhere left to go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Poyer is fine, imo. He didn’t just run off the field Sunday, he literally Pranced off. Something's rotten here..

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Awesome to hear how Josh was calling that second Sanders TD.

I’ve wanted Sanders for 3 years now, but I had no idea how cool he is, how much he truly brings to the team. Fantastic interview as well.

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

WTF?! 😳You need meds. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Good afternoon,

Ed Oliver is a bust.

Thank you,

He's played pretty well this year so far.

Was dominant in week 1 especially.

I think we would all like to see more consistency from him as a whole, but he's now in year 3 and has looked better than the last 2 seasons IMO.

Lets let the year play out .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

The problem is, is that you think almost every Bill is a bust.

What? This is totally baseless. What other Bills do I think are busts? Also, even if I did think that (which I certainly don't), that shouldn't change the reaction to the fact that Oliver is a bust. People just don't want to hear it because it's negative.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

So everyone is entitled to their opinion....my question is do you actually watch the games or just read the box score......Oliver is not meeting expectations as the next great DT from the rams.......does he need to be to be considered a good player?   He puts pressure on the QB....is very good in run support......and takes on double teams on a routine basis.

So Ed Oliver is performing up to the standard of a top-10 pick, you think? I never said he had to be Donald, but being just a serviceable player isn't good enough.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

WTF?! 😳You need meds. 

Please explain what in my post is incorrect and why it is so incorrect so as to suggest that I need meds to correct my deranged views.

Everything I said is accurate and reasonable, and the opinion would likely be shared by anyone who doesn't have homer blinders on.

If you think Ed Oliver has performed to expectations for a top-10 pick, perhaps medication would be beneficial for you as well.

Or maybe this is just yet another instance where you jump on anyone who has anything but glowing praise for Bills players.

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's cute how everyone is reacting negatively to this -- how much time does Oliver get? 3 years? 4 years? The jury should not be out on a top-10 pick anywhere near that long. As a top-10 pick, he's clearly a bust. "Serviceable" is nowhere near good enough for a top-10 pick. Frazier said they are expecting a breakout season. So far, that's not happening. If he were a third rounder, he wouldn't be a bust, but as a top-10 pick I don't see how he could be characterized otherwise. He's supposed to be a star and an impact player, but he's clearly 

A) you worry about everything.

B) you invent things to worry about.

C) everything worries you.

D) all this worrying

causes you to be negative a noticeable portion of the time you spend on this forum.

E) you might want to see someone about this affliction…, I’m certain you know someone who could help…, 😁

F) go buy a bottle of a quality Cabernet, boil up some tagliatelle, add a little wild boar sauce and enjoy one of life’s simpler pleasures, oh and share the experience with your important other, it will help. 

Nuthin but luv, Don,

now where was I…

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

A) you worry about everything.

B) you invent things to worry about.

C) everything worries you.

D) all this worrying

causes you to be negative a noticeable portion of the time you spend on this forum.

E) you might want to see someone about this affliction…, I’m certain you know someone who could help…, 😁

F) go buy a bottle of a quality Cabernet, boil up some tagliatelle, add a little wild boar sauce and enjoy one of life’s simpler pleasures, oh and share the experience with your important other, it will help. 

Nuthin but luv, Don,

now where was I…

Excellent advice. I'd opt for pappardelle with the boar, but it's all good. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

verything I said is accurate and reasonable, and the opinion would likely be shared by anyone who doesn't have homer blinders on.

If you think Ed Oliver has performed to expectations for a top-10 pick, perhaps medication would be beneficial for you as well.

I think many would agree he hasn't quite performed the way we hoped or expected out of a top 10 pick. At least I can agree with that. However I don't agree with you in labeling him a "bust" at this time.

It can be a little more difficult to evaluate a DT  than say a LB or WR, etc imo. The thing is he does beat his man more than you may realize. Gets doubled a lot also. Basically point is just because he isn't getting sacks all the time doesn't mean he is not good, or as you say, a "bust". He does make an impact quite often, also pretty good against the run.

He's been pretty good so far this young season. I'd say watch him more closely and see what he does this season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well looks like the DL has been better, not as much last game against WFT, but they do seem to be improved so far. 

They did not win their 1:1s vs WFT, put a lot on the LBs and secondary. WFT OL is decent but not great. Texans OL is pretty solid. 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They did not win their 1:1s vs WFT, put a lot on the LBs and secondary. WFT OL is decent but not great. Texans OL is pretty solid. 

Yeah I know. They are not going to win those match ups every game, but they do look better than last season at this time. 

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What? This is totally baseless. What other Bills do I think are busts? Also, even if I did think that (which I certainly don't), that shouldn't change the reaction to the fact that Oliver is a bust. People just don't want to hear it because it's negative.

So Ed Oliver is performing up to the standard of a top-10 pick, you think? I never said he had to be Donald, but being just a serviceable player isn't good enough.

Dude, if you look at the stats overall, the odds of drafting a guy who can play in the NFL - not a superstar, just a guy who can Do His Job - are roughly 50% in the top 3rd of the first round.  Falls to about 30% in the bottom 2/3 and top of the 2nd, then drops from there.

Lots of reasons for this.

What do you consider a “bust”, especially at DT?

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Excellent advice. I'd opt for pappardelle with the boar, but it's all good. 

Good point, frankly a better choice 👍

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

Holy crap. Get over it. 

People are so easily offended sometimes.

I'm a relentlessly optimistic person when it comes to the Bills. Every now and then, I point out that the team made a personnel move that hurt them or that the QB played a subpar game, and you'd think I personally spat on the Queen of England. 

It's not as if I made a separate thread going on at length about the issue. I simply mentioned, in the midst of a conversation about guard depth, that it would be nice to have Teller or someone other than Cody Ford. Heaven forbid somebody be momentarily critical of our beloved Buffalo Bills! THE HORROR!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1