Star is OUT for Steelers game

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Harry looked good in preseason.. hopefully he is healthy enough to make an impact, because I’m sure the Steelers will be rushing the ball quite a bit with Najee, an iffy OL and Matt Canada at OC. 

Harry is healthy and looking good in practice per Sal

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So many of us were hoping (maybe too much) for this guys return to free up Oliver and Edmunds and others to play more to their strengths. I was always worried when "We get Star back..." was always such a key feature for how we were going to improve our run D because he hadnt played in a year.

And now here we are...

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Star has been such an albatross.  Terrible, awful signing.

After watching Vita Vea last night, Star is even worse of a signing...was likely never going to have very much impact on the team...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

After watching Vita Vea last night, Star is even worse of a signing...was likely never going to have very much impact on the team...

Tremaine Edmunds and the Bills need a Vita Vea. I would’ve targeted Quinton Bohanna late in last years draft. There’s Jordan Davis and Travis Jones in upcoming draft though

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, jletha said:

So many of us were hoping (maybe too much) for this guys return to free up Oliver and Edmunds and others to play more to their strengths. I was always worried when "We get Star back..." was always such a key feature for how we were going to improve our run D because he hadnt played in a year.

And now here we are...

the lack of a good backup beyond "hope" is/was annoying.  We "hope" Star is back, then "hope" he is impactful.  Same for Harry.  It's not a good plan.  Look at a player like Vea on Tampa last night.  Even without that guys athletic ability to disrupt the pass, he makes a huge impact in run D.  We have nothing like that.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Tremaine Edmunds and the Bills need a Vita Vea. I would’ve targeted Quinton Bohanna late in last years draft. There’s Jordan Davis and Travis Jones in upcoming draft though

There’s a guy who plays for Georgia (can’t remember his name but he’s a monster 6’5 well over 300 and athletic)... I would sell the house for something like that next draft...we have missed far too often on our interior dline....

• Like (+1) 2

Also, cue the ready made excuses for Edmunds.  "Star is out."  An elite MLB does not need "Star" to be there, just someone slightly competent.  

We also need to find a replacement for Star, always did.  Bean's offseason and draft failure right here.  (Bean did a lot of good stuff, but not getting a replacement here is bad.  Hopefully someone is on a PS somewhere).  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the lack of a good backup beyond "hope" is/was annoying.  We "hope" Star is back, then "hope" he is impactful.  Same for Harry.  It's not a good plan.  Look at a player like Vea on Tampa last night.  Even without that guys athletic ability to disrupt the pass, he makes a huge impact in run D.  We have nothing like that.  

Harry is the replacement for Star, also why he beefed up this offseason. That is the plan. Hoping his new body is up to the challenge. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He's a monster.   We need someone like that so bad

Another great player would surely help. And I can definitely see them drafting someone next year to replace Star.

But the last year we had Star we were an elite defense. His first year here, the year before that, a very good defense.

But particularly for a week, we'll be fine.

I think I heard on the cover 1 podcast that McDermott said Star was 'trending in the right direction' earlier this week, so he shouldn't be out for long.

Yes we could use him against a likely heavy  dose of Najee Harris on Sunday but I think we will be better off this year when Star is missing due to an improved Harrison Philips, who seems fine after that recent knee scare.

We'll still have enough for Sunday and Star will be available soon after I would say.

Lets see how Ed Oliver and Tremaine Edmunds do this week (who stand to benefit the most from a proper 1-Tech) and then compare it to how they do next week when hopefully Star returns.

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Also, cue the ready made excuses for Edmunds.  "Star is out."  An elite MLB does not need "Star" to be there, just someone slightly competent.  

We also need to find a replacement for Star, always did.  Bean's offseason and draft failure right here.  (Bean did a lot of good stuff, but not getting a replacement here is bad.  Hopefully someone is on a PS somewhere).  

No. In McDermott's scheme, the LB absolutely does need someone up front to eat blocks. 

That's why McDermott has guys like Star up front wherever he's been, and why he brought Star to Buffalo.  It's why he had Star and guys like him in front of Kuechly.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PaattMaann said:

Harry is the replacement for Star, also why he beefed up this offseason. That is the plan. Hoping his new body is up to the challenge. 

that plan, however, is mere hope.  Would have liked an actual player who is ready for the position Day 1, not someone who has to beef up.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

Ask any “elite” MLB how elite they would’ve been without a good DT. Ray Lewis, Kuechly, Harry Carson, Shane Conlan all had good/great DTs

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

No. In McDermott's scheme, the LB absolutely does need someone up front to eat blocks. 

Any scheme honestly 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

that plan, however, is mere hope.  Would have liked an actual player who is ready for the position Day 1, not someone who has to beef up.  

I get where your coming from. I would just say the counter argument is that the staff identified a player already on the roster that they think is ready for that position from day 1 (of this season). Guess we will see how it works out in like 50 hours. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Bad, bad sign people. Star is out. Star. Watt is a star and he just signed a huge contract. Their star is in, ours is out.  Stars are in the sky, so is the moon. Moon landings were faked, some people believe the nfl is fixed. Coincidence? You be the judge.

keanu reeves woah face GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

McDermott announced on WGR

This is not a good start to the season for him. After the off year and the light workload in TC, he should have been fully healthy for the opener. 

In a way, glad we get to test our upgraded D without his presence. We dont want to find out in the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Bad, bad sign people. Star is out. Star. Watt is a star and he just signed a huge contract. 

I am not particularly concerned about JJ Watt as the team did a decent job against him last year. Cam Heyward was wrecking havoc in the first quarter or so and we adjusted well too. 

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Utter nonsense.

There you are, our resident weather vane pointing in the exact wrong direction at all times.

Star’s opt out last year froze his salary and limited their flexibility.  He sat out and didn’t even get vaccinated!  Now he’s back but has a soft tissue boo boo and is once again clogging up space - under the salary cap, not on the field.  On a per-dollar basis no one has been worse for the Bills than Star over the past three years.  No one.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2