Suggested member rank icons

SDS

Just realized I’ve been reading this forum since 2008 when scooby drove a white bmw, man time flies… but I have been thoroughly enjoying all the contributions from you regular posters. You have kept me informed while totally entertained and for that I thank you!

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SDS said:

A recent upgrade changed the member ranking system (the rockets you see). Each level supports its own icon. What do you suggest for the different levels?

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 4.05.19 PM.png

The rank labels are good, but I think some form of visual indicator that quickly shows the difference would be nice.  

Some sites make user names different colors, where hall of fame would be gold.  Or, the user gets more color options to choose from as the ascend higher.  

I also think the rep points being visual before was helpful.  I’m not a fan of that being gone 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The rank labels are good, but I think some form of visual indicator that quickly shows the difference would be nice.  

Some sites make user names different colors, where hall of fame would be gold.  Or, the user gets more color options to choose from as the ascend higher.  

I also think the rep points being visual before was helpful.  I’m not a fan of that being gone 

that’s what the icons are for and is the subject of this post.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SDS said:

A recent upgrade changed the member ranking system (the rockets you see). Each level supports its own icon. What do you suggest for the different levels?

How about a crown for Hall of Famer, although I also like the gold jacket suggestion, if you can find/make one.

41 minutes ago, SDS said:

66A1EC13-D807-4F37-A2E8-BDC76C3C5DF1.jpeg

OMG, was that someone from Alone?

13 minutes ago, SDS said:

that’s what the icons are for and is the subject of this post.

Ah, I thought you were also asking opinions of the rockets.  

I would recommend the color names for post count (based upon the labels you had in the OP) and bring back the rep counter. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Right now if you hover over it shows a number out of 8.  What if you just showed the number 1 thru 8.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Can you add tiny stars within that circle 1 star for probation, 8 stars for Hall of Famer?

im not sure how that would look bc of the size of the circle, but it may be discernible. 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Right now if you hover over it shows a number out of 8.  What if you just showed the number 1 thru 8.

I take it you are on a laptop with a mouse? I’m on an iPad and I get no such thing without clicking and going looking. As I said, whatever is fine, but we were asked for our thoughts, so there you go. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Augie said:
19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

rockets.  

I would recommend the color names for post count (based upon the labels you had in the OP) and bring back the rep counter. 

I have no idea if it’s possible, and it’s no big deal either way, but I liked the rep counter for a reason you may not expect. It’s NOT a matter of getting more for vanity, but a means of controlling my posts count. I pay attention to having more reps than posts so I refrain from some

For me, it lets me know how hard I want to fight back or argue with someone 😋

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Can you add tiny stars within that circle 1 star for probation, 8 stars for Hall of Famer?

im not sure how that would look bc of the size of the circle, but it may be discernible. 

This.  I liked the old footballs 🏈 look

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I take it you are on a laptop with a mouse? I’m on an iPad and I get no such thing without clicking and going looking. As I said, whatever is fine, but we were asked for our thoughts, so there you go. 

Yes I am but my point was to show the number only without having to hover over it.

1 - 8.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Probation = donkey

UDFA = pig

Practice squad = sheep

Rookie = camel

RFA = llama

Veteran = alpaca

All pro = ram

Hall of Famer = goat

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Ah, I thought you were also asking opinions of the rockets.  

like talking to my wife.

What do you want for dinner?

Yes, please mow the lawn. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Are we sure post count is the metric to be used for levels?  Seems a reward for the people with most time on their hands?

In fact do people really care about level?  Seems silly to me

But if you really are doing this again, then give posters of useful, interesting things or breaking news awards.  Not junk posts, goofy comments, or rewarding those who comment on every post, sometimes repeatedly, to boost up a post count.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, hmsmystic said:

Are we sure post count is the metric to be used for levels?  Seems a reward for the people with most time on their hands?

In fact do people really care about level?  Seems silly to me

But if you really are doing this again, then give posters of useful, interesting things or breaking news awards.  Not junk posts, goofy comments, or rewarding those who comment on every post, sometimes repeatedly, to boost up a post count.

lol. This has been an existence from the day I started with the software which was somewhere around 16 years ago. THEY changed the interface and I wanted to make it look nice. 

and no, I don’t sit around reading every single post since 1998, probably almost 10,000,000 posts, and personally hand out rewards. 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

lol. This has been an existence from the day I started with the software which was somewhere around 16 years ago. THEY changed the interface and I wanted to make it look nice. 

and no, I don’t sit around reading every single post since 1998, probably almost 10,000,000 posts, and personally hand out rewards. 😂

Ha!  Fair enough it was more an idea to reward useful posts by I would guess a thumbs up count (say every post that gets 25 thumbs up counts or so)  No issues either way!

I would prefer the star ship Enterprise as opposed to a rocket, how else can I keep pace with the arm arrogance going on in Buffalo,  SDS, can you hook me up? 😁👍

• Haha (+1) 1

Here's my take on a system of icons.

Tried to take a somewhat progressive approach, starting with historical and practice greys, up to getting your logo as a Rookie, then getting different color adornments as you move up.  Veteran just seemed like an obvious place for the standing buffalo - then finishing with All Pro stars and of course a golden HOF.  All are clearly Bills specific, with maybe the exception of Probation, but hey, how long should you really be stuck at less than 50 posts.  😉

Tried to ultimately keep it pretty simple - they are pretty dang small after all, but hopefully easily recognizable and distinctive enough.  And maybe a little less boring than the rocket.

Curious what folks think...

(Click on the image below to enlarge)

TBD-Rank-Icons-Draft-1.jpg

Edited by Blainorama5
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

Here's my take on a system of icons.

Tried to take a somewhat progressive approach, starting with historical and practice greys, up to getting your logo as a Rookie, then getting different color adornments as you move up.  Veteran just seemed like an obvious place for the standing buffalo - then finishing with All Pro stars and of course a golden HOF.  All are clearly Bills specific, with maybe the exception of Probation, but hey, how long should you really be stuck at less than 50 posts.  😉

Tried to ultimately keep it pretty simple - they are pretty dang small after all, but hopefully easily recognizable and distinctive enough.  And maybe a little less boring than the rocket.

Curious what folks think...

(Click on the image below to enlarge)

TBD-Rank-Icons-Draft-1.jpg

This has my vote! Nicely done!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1