Baldinger Breakdown of Bills D Line from game 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only way Addison starts the season is loyalty. Rousseau should be out there for me. Sure still rotate Addison in some but Greg would start.

Correct me If I am wrong but doesn't he play on Jerry's side and Addison play on ajs side boogie plays a little more dt than de

36 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Correct me If I am wrong but doesn't he play on Jerry's side and Addison play on ajs side boogie plays a little more dt than de

Jerry played on the right his whole career here until last year when they moved him to accommodate the lumbering figure of Mario Addison at right end, so Jerry played left end. Put Jerry back where he should be - on the right; Greg where he should be - starting lineup; and Addison where he should be - retirement village.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Assuming both Addison and Hughes are the week one starters, have to believe both will be under a lot of pressure to perform and keep reps away from these beasts who have been preseason stars so far.

I still think a surprise cut or trade is in the works and can't see us keeping 6 or 7 DE as some are projecting.

I remember Beane specifically saying the goal was to get Addison less snaps this year. With the two rookies and the vets plus 17 games, seems like we will keep an extra de, especially if the group can absorb some of the dt snaps.

9 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Great to see.

Awesome stuff!  I had not realized Basham was playing so much inside and taking on double teams.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Rousseau is gonna be a problem. I don't see how Addison keeps him from taking his job by week 4

I thought it was Addison/Epenesa on the R and Hughes/Rousseau on the L

Yupyup, that's the way the depth chart currently reads, for what little it's worth

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart

• Like (+1) 1

Jerry played on the right his whole career here until last year when they moved him to accommodate the lumbering figure of Mario Addison at right end, so Jerry played left end. Put Jerry back where he should be - on the right; Greg where he should be - starting lineup; and Addison where he should be - retirement village.

I can't see the Bills paying Addison $8M to retire

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Simon said:

I think you have to take into account that Rousseau is a rookie, which as a rule of thumb those kids tend to burn out a little bit down the stretch as they're playing the longest season they've ever played in their lives.

I want this kid healthy and playing with a fresh motor when things start to get real several months from now and hope the coaching staff can show enough self-restraint to ensure that happens. 🤞

Yeah, I agree with this strongly. Start him, don't start him, whatever. But limit his playing time so he's not too worn down late. Winter is coming.

Edited by Thurman#1

This, this and more this.

Addison is a super nice guy, I enjoy his interviews and I’m sure he is a great influence on the kids. He will help them improve. But……I can’t stand that we acquired him.  I can’t believe Beane didn’t just cut bait when they had the chance.  If he were a FA right now he’d probably get 1-2M a year if he were lucky enough to even get a contract.  Now we might have to let go of a young and blossoming DE because he’s taking up a spot.  On top of that…his existence has moved my boy Jerry to the left side.  MOVE JERRRRRY BACK!  Jerry and AJ on the right.  Rousssau, Basham and johnson on the left.  If we keep Addison….keep him on the bench or inactive.  But I’m sure he’ll end up playing 30% of the snaps.  😞 

When we were finished with FA and the draft, I looked at our DL and corners and thought “this isn’t enough to stop the chiefs offense”.  Months later, I feel differently.  Maybe it’s because they were playing against some backups for the majority of the game and a bad DL (Chicago), but the pass rush has looked amazing in preseason.  We just have to hope that it’s improved enough to offset starting Levi Wallace and the easily manipulated Edmunds against Mahomes.  

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Baldy is the best. One of the best ex pros out there when it comes to actually understanding what he sees. 

Basham was markedly better week 1 than week 2. I thought he was better watching it live but only on a 2nd watch did I appreciate how much better. That being said I repeat my health warning from Saturday - the Bears oline is likely the worst in the NFL this year. 

This speaks to the whole WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS PRESEASON FOOTBALL EVALUATIONS that should be prominently displayed as like a watermark or something. Of course we love the content here (and Baldy's breakdowns in general), and the promise shown when Bills players whoop on opposing players, BUT: it's preseason. Level of competition is an x-factor. Especially when the opposing team has had a rash of injuries at the positions being negatively highlighted. It's like exponentially unreliable in that case.

That all being said, it's exciting to see the young d-linemen, including Epenesa, look so physically promising. You gotta have it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought it was Addison/Epenesa on the R and Hughes/Rousseau on the L

Yupyup, that's the way the depth chart currently reads, for what little it's worth

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart

Oh wow...he has been lined up where Addison normally would be both games so far...

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

When we were finished with FA and the draft, I looked at our DL and corners and thought “this isn’t enough to stop the chiefs offense”.  Months later, I feel differently.  Maybe it’s because they were playing against some backups for the majority of the game and a bad DL (Chicago), but the pass rush has looked amazing in preseason.  We just have to hope that it’s improved enough to offset starting Levi Wallace and the easily manipulated Edmunds against Mahomes.  

It's not just our defense that has to perform better against the Chiefs. It's the offense as well. So far, I am encouraged that both sides of the ball have improved at least a little and potentially a great deal if the pass rush is really good. 

36 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It's not just our defense that has to perform better against the Chiefs. It's the offense as well. So far, I am encouraged that both sides of the ball have improved at least a little and potentially a great deal if the pass rush is really good. 

No question. Our OL was dismantled by the chiefs DL in the AFCCG.   Josh stated that having fans in the stands affected his ability to make changes at the LOS.  He’d audible and then the D would audible….he wanted to switch it up but wasn’t able to because of the crowd noise.  He was able make checks up til the last second in an empty stadium.   He’ll be fine, but I think he’ll take some more lumps than he did last year.  

After the dust settled in the AFCCG this is what stood out in my mind:
-Daboll getting destroyed by Spags.

-McD/Frazier getting outsmarted by Reid.

-Feliciano getting clobbered by Chris Jones all game over and over.  

-Our off ball defenders were completely outmatched vs the chiefs 2 star skill players.  Kelce and hill - 22 catches 290 yards 2 TDs ———rest of team 7 catches 35 yards 1 TD.  

- I really hated Motor for dropping that pass.  I threw a tantrum and wanted him cut.  Fast forward til now….I love him.  He needed to improve and he looks improved.  Now stay healthy and produce then maybe you can stay one more year.  
- That wasn’t who I thought our season would end.  We STUNK it up that game
-

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

“No team wants to see their QB lifted off their feet and finished like that.  Fields is 230…picked him up and slammed him!”

Love it!!!

As a Bills fan this fired me up to see.... however, thats pretty likely to draw a flag now, no?  Love the intensity but gotta know when to play more cerebral than that

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

This speaks to the whole WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS PRESEASON FOOTBALL EVALUATIONS that should be prominently displayed as like a watermark or something. Of course we love the content here (and Baldy's breakdowns in general), and the promise shown when Bills players whoop on opposing players, BUT: it's preseason. Level of competition is an x-factor. Especially when the opposing team has had a rash of injuries at the positions being negatively highlighted. It's like exponentially unreliable in that case.

That all being said, it's exciting to see the young d-linemen, including Epenesa, look so physically promising. You gotta have it.

You wrote what I was thinking.

I’m as excited as everyone else, but these are vanilla scrimmages.  I too thought am very hopeful we’ve improved in two critical areas, having a rushing attack when needed, and an effective pass rush.  If these bode true in the regular season, the wee become appreciably better as a team.  The last area that will have to wait is TE production.  I hope Hollister is the answer, but I’m skeptical at this point Knox will ever improve.

It made sense to me with the McKenzie injury we picked someone up off the street today.  I’ve been wondering all week what McD will do for the last scrimmage Saturday.  I would assume it’s going to be almost all backups.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean however it breaks down they're going to put out the best guys they can, they're not going to put a worse product on the field because they happen to pay a guy more.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yea I am interested by the speculation the Chiefs want to use Chris Jones on the edge more. If they did that against us I would think it plays into our hands a bit because our tackles are better pass protectors than our guards. Ike / Cody / Mongo in pass pro vs the Chiefs remains a concern to me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McD has a weird loyalty to vets often and I think Addison is a guy they will keep around and stick him in a backup LB spot and have him rush the passer in situations similar to Lorax and then let him walk after the season. 

• Disagree 1

He may have a degree of loyalty to have on the team, but doesn’t necessarily means he plays him which is what I think you were postulating.  I agree he will put out whoever he thinks gives us the best chance.

He did bench a healthy Morse last year.  That was a statement and Morse heard the message.

Consodering there is no economic value to cutting him, my guess is he’ll work his way into a backup role.  Just a guess.  I do think he’ll put Hughes back where he is most comfortable.

14 hours ago, wppete said:

Boogie was dominate against the Bears.

Pet peeve — when people don’t use “dominant” correctly.

In other news — Baldy is great, and we have lots to be excited about with the influx of talent on the D line (even if Chicago’s OL sucks).

• Vomit 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I am interested by the speculation the Chiefs want to use Chris Jones on the edge more. If they did that against us I would think it plays into our hands a bit because our tackles are better pass protectors than our guards. Ike / Cody / Mongo in pass pro vs the Chiefs remains a concern to me.

If they do that it won't be against a team like us. Our Ts are way better than our Gs. Andy Reid is not gunna play into our strengths 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We haven't had a DL draft pick develop into a top player since Kyle Williams. Dareus was the closest but rapidly regressed. 

Developing DL draft picks into top players is the final piece to a Super Bowl. 

Yea Dareus got there.... but only for about 2 seasons under Marrone and Pettine/Schwartz. He is only 31. If he had his head screwed on right he could have still been a force on the Bills interior even today. Such a waste. 

Hopefully Ed takes another step with his consistency this year (because when he has been good he has been really good) and Rousseau has a top rookie year. If both those happen the Bills are the most complete team in football without a doubt IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Dareus got there.... but only for about 2 seasons under Marrone and Pettine/Schwartz. He is only 31. If he had his head screwed on right he could have still been a force on the Bills interior even today. Such a waste. 

Hopefully Ed takes another step with his consistency this year (because when he has been good he has been really good) and Rousseau has a top rookie year. If both those happen the Bills are the most complete team in football without a doubt IMO. 

The forgotten man, Epenesa. I see so much Aaron Schobel in him. I think out of Oliver, Rousseau, Basham, and Epenesa someone will emerge. The coaching staff is just too good around them. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The forgotten man, Epenesa. I see so much Aaron Schobel in him. I think out of Oliver, Rousseau, Basham, and Epenesa someone will emerge. The coaching staff is just too good around them. 

Yea AJ and to a lesser extent Boogie too. Just think Ed and Greg are the two most talented.

6 hours ago, eball said:

Pet peeve — when people don’t use “dominant” correctly.

In other news — Baldy is great, and we have lots to be excited about with the influx of talent on the D line (even if Chicago’s OL sucks).

spelling police 👮‍♂️ 🚨 

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only way Addison starts the season is loyalty. Rousseau should be out there for me. Sure still rotate Addison in some but Greg would start.

Addison is solid 3 down guy so let Rousseau come in on passing downs to give him a breather early in year.   I see a ton of rotation this year and even moving some of the DEs inside on 3rd and long. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Addison is solid 3 down guy so let Rousseau come in on passing downs to give him a breather early in year.   I see a ton of rotation this year and even moving some of the DEs inside on 3rd and long. 

By solid do you mean slow?

• Haha (+1) 2

This DL is going to be amazing!

Growth, Boogie and Epenesa should all make a huge difference. Oliver should have a breakout year because of all the talent now around him.

They're so versatile as well.  

Add in Hughes ,Addison and we're Loaded!

I predict that Rousseau and Epinesa will be the starters going forward. I've long supported Hughes, but I wonder if they would trade him for a CB or TE or G. Then again, they might not want to move him at the risk of upsetting the other players. 

3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I predict that Rousseau and Epinesa will be the starters going forward. I've long supported Hughes, but I wonder if they would trade him for a CB or TE or G. Then again, they might not want to move him at the risk of upsetting the other players. 

I mean again if Hughes and Addison were vulnerable they'd actually of been out there competing in the last two preseason games.

• Agree 1