Reasons why those Mock Draft darlings are not picked - Teven Jenkins

Hadn't seen that, thanks. I was one of the ones pounding the table for Teven Jenkins (and JOK/Elijah Moore) if he was still there when we picked, but we just don't know as much as the teams in terms of any medicals. Reminds me of the Shaq Lawson situation where most of us were excited he fell to us (at #19 I believe) after he was expected to go Top 10 only to realize he was carrying an injury. So much for that Day 1 starter line from Rex...

Still think Jenkins is going to be a solid player in the league especially as a run blocker, but looks like we got a promising player in Rousseau with a very high ceiling! Let's go Groot!

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Hadn't seen that, thanks. I was one of the ones pounding the table for Teven Jenkins (and JOK/Elijah Moore) if he was still there when we picked, but we just don't know as much as the teams in terms of any medicals. Reminds me of the Shaq Lawson situation where most of us were excited he fell to us (at #19 I believe) after he was expected to go Top 10 only to realize he was carrying an injury. So much for that Day 1 starter line from Rex...

Still think Jenkins is going to be a solid player in the league especially as a run blocker, but looks like we got a promising player in Rousseau with a very high ceiling! Let's go Groot!

The Lawson situation is exactly why Buffalo struggled for years.  No real connection to the people at Clemson.  Rex saying his son plays their he knows everything blah blah.  I dont see that situation happening with McBeane.  They would have found out about the shoulder.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Teven Jenkins went in round 2 because he is a projection at left tackle. He can play right tackle but you don't draft right tackles in round 1.

And in round 2,   an OG or RG better be special.

The notion that you can let up and draft for need or lesser valued positions just because it's the second round and not the first is misplaced.

Preferably you come out of the top 3 rounds with 3 players at the premium positions(QB/PassRush/LT/CB/WR1).

Beane has gotten singed when he has gone to "safer" lesser positions in rounds 2 and 3.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And in round 2,   an OG or RG better be special.

The notion that you can let up and draft for need or lesser valued positions just because it's the second round and not the first is misplaced.

Preferably you come out of the top 3 rounds with 3 players at the premium positions(QB/PassRush/LT/CB/WR1).

Beane has gotten singed when he has gone to "safer" lesser positions in rounds 2 and 3.   

Meh. I think Right Tackle is a position I'd draft in round 2 now. I just think teams have good enough edge rushers now that I see value in having bookends. But that guy better end up a two contract starter. 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Meh. I think Right Tackle is a position I'd draft in round 2 now. I just think teams have good enough edge rushers now that I see value in having bookends. But that guy better end up a two contract starter. 

You would take a RT in round 2? Be hard for me to do that. But if I did I would go LT for sure before RT.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You would take a RT in round 2? Be hard for me to do that. But if I did I would go LT for sure.

Yes, in the right circumstances. I am absolutely against RT only guys in round 1. But in round 2 I am less absolute about it. I'd still prioritise my first tier positions - QB, Pass Rusher, LT, #1CB, #1WR - but I'd consider 2nd tier positions - RT, C, MLB. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yes, in the right circumstances. I am absolutely against RT only guys in round 1. But in round 2 I am less absolute about it. I'd still prioritise my first tier positions - QB, Pass Rusher, LT, #1CB, #1WR - but I'd consider 2nd tier positions - RT, C, MLB. 

Yeah I know it would depend on circumstances, but was curious why a RT over a LT. If the 2 players at each position were very close, you'd still go RT over LT?

11 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I know it would depend on circumstances, but was curious why a RT over a LT. If the 2 players at each position were very close, you'd still go RT over LT?

No, no, no. Given the choice between a guy who can play on the left and a guy who is RT only always take the guy who can play on the left if you have them in your same tier of talent. 

I was just making the point to @BADOLBILZ that while I generally agree with his view on the way you use 1st round resources I am a little more flexible in round 2. I'd still lean towards first tier positions but I'd consider 2nd tier positions - including RT - as well.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it depends on the player .. would you take a Guard early in the draft.. Quinton Nelson has panned out ok .. In the first round you hope to find a stud .. all else being equal sure a LT > RT or Guard, but not everything is equal.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CorkScrewHill said:

I think it depends on the player .. would you take a Guard early in the draft.. Quinton Nelson has panned out ok .. In the first round you hope to find a stud .. all else being equal sure a LT > RT or Guard, but not everything is equal.

I'd take Nelson, yes. I was fine with taking Tremaine Edmunds too. But generally you have to stick to premium positions.

44 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

People get too caught up in this nonsense in my opinion. You need a RT and everyone on your team is in love with one guy that slipped out of the first round. You really don’t need anything else and you’re going to pass on the RT and take someone you’re luke warm on? Seems silly to me. 

Nah, you take your guy and hopefully get 10 years out of him. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Teven Jenkins went in round 2 because he is a projection at left tackle. He can play right tackle but you don't draft right tackles in round 1.

I would rather draft a RT in round one than a guard. If a tackle can't handle edge rushers at the NFL level, a lot of the time they can kick inside to guard and have a decent career. Quentin Nelson is one of the few 1st round guards to actually play up to his draft status. It usually doesn't make sense to take a guard that early because they can be signed in free agency pretty cheap (Feliciano makes only about $5 Million/year). In order to play Tackle in the NFL, you need to have a rare combination of size and agility that 99.9% of humans simply don't have. There are plenty of average athletes who perfect their technique and become solid NFL guards.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Well,  multi-contract RT or guard are/were generally very good players.    

You don't want to take a Cody Ford just because he looks like he *might* be a RT in a less than stellar draft for OT's.   

When draftee's disappoint......even if they finish up their first contract on a higher note.........that baggage usually leads them into the unrestricted free agent market.

Call it the "Shaq Lawson" effect.😉

They look more attractive to the market than their own team.

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

you don't draft right tackles in round 1.

Do people seriously still believe that? The days of making do at RT are long. With creativity and variation of pass rush now, you need 2 good OTs as the rush comes from across the line. And teams recognise that in the draft

2 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Do people seriously still believe that? The days of making do at RT are long. With creativity and variation of pass rush now, you need 2 good OTs as the rush comes from across the line. And teams recognise that in the draft

Except teams don't. The results are pretty clear. I said all through draft season on Teven Jenkins "he isn't going round 1 folks" when he was considered a lock. Then 2 weeks before the draft suddenly his agent comes out and says "Teven can play left tackle he has been training at it" and yet what happened? He slipped out of round 1. Same happened with Jawaan Taylor a couple of years back. Doesn't matter how good you are if teams think you are a right tackle only they don't take you round 1. That isn't to say teams never take guys round 1 and start them at right tackle - hell the Superbowl Champions just did it with Tristan Wirfs but, critically, he was a college left tackle and he has demonstrated the ability to play that side. Which means for the Buccs they can consider flipping him when Donavan Smith's contract expires and it seems they are even trying to time it that way hence Smith's short extension. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

TJ Watt and Khalil Mack thank all of you who don’t value RT in the first two rounds. Im just playing, no need to flame 

RTs have not yet reached equilibrium with LTs, but it has gotten a lot closer in recent years.  The days of a much cheaper RT who is primarily a run blocker to go with a LT who is primarily a pass protector are gone.  Both better be quality players in pass pro now.  

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

RTs have not yet reached equilibrium with LTs, but it has gotten a lot closer in recent years.  The days of a much cheaper RT who is primarily a run blocker to go with a LT who is primarily a pass protector are gone.  Both better be quality players in pass pro now.  

If your QB is left handed though RT may be a little more important with blind side protection

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The Lawson situation is exactly why Buffalo struggled for years.  No real connection to the people at Clemson.  Rex saying his son plays their he knows everything blah blah.  I dont see that situation happening with McBeane.  They would have found out about the shoulder.  

Each of them have their preferences...For Rex it was Clemson...For Beane, it is the Carolina Panthers.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yep this is true. But teams would still rather take a guy they think can flip to the left if their starter there goes down (think Ravens with Orlando Brown) early in the draft as opposed to taking a guy early who is only capable of playing the one side and is a more "traditional" right tackle.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You would take a RT in round 2? Be hard for me to do that. But if I did I would go LT for sure before RT.

Second round is a great spot to grab a RT and a terrible one for a LT.  Legit LTs go in the first.  Those still there in the second have serious warts.  Same with QBs, really.  Give me the best RT in the draft over the 6th best LT any day.