Afghanistan

23 minutes ago, Governor said:

I’m confused as to where you think he’s supposed to be. Is he supposed to be wearing his aviators flying a chopper rescuing people?

What is this narrative you’re chasing? I haven’t watched any news so you will have to fill me in.

well hopefully it isn't this narrative.

"I don’t care what the fallout is. It had to happen and I congratulate Joe."

damn dude, people are fleeing for there lives right now. 

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

well hopefully it isn't this narrative.

"I don’t care what the fallout is. It had to happen and I congratulate Joe."

damn dude, people are fleeing for there lives right now. 

But didn’t we just send soldiers back to get them? Someone wake me up if that mission fails.

Edited by Governor

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Biden knows that 2 years from now no one is going to care about any of this. Sure, it was stupid plan by Trump, a poison pill, but it still had to be done, and the majority of voters support the decision. Independents are pretty happy right now.

Trump set the timeline to when he’d already be gone. That’s a total wuss move. Biden stepped up and got it done anyway and knew it had to be done early in his term, or not at all, politically.

That's why he did it.  It doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.  Keeping a small military presence in Afghanistan was the best option of the list of bad options.  Only 66 soldiers have died in action since 2014 (less than one per month) so spare me the countless lives being lost rhetoric.  This didn't have to happen and I pray for the citizens of Afghanistan.

Imagine being Mike Pompeo, thinking that people would actually want you to run for president. These people are nuts. He’s been groomed his entire life for that job but it’s never going to happen. These people just don’t know when to quit.

4 hours ago, Governor said:

But didn’t we just send soldiers back to get them? Someone wake me up if that mission fails.

Reports of 5 people dead at the airport so far. 

Americans stuck behind Taliban checkpoints, unable to get to the US perimeter at the airport. 

Multitudes of people who worked with us, now marked for death, and left behind, awaiting hopeful emergency evacuation to bring tens of thousands to military bases in Texas and Wisconsin.  

Videos of absolute mayhem all over Twitter.  

Afghans so desperate they are hanging onto cargo jets as they take off and falling to their death.  

World leaders around the globe questioning America. 

Our President, nor the VP, can even find it within themselves to speak to the American people?

Press Secretary has an auto-reply that she’s suddenly on vacation from the 15th-22nd.  

Who is running this country!?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Reports of 5 people dead at the airport so far. 

Americans stuck behind Taliban checkpoints, unable to get to the US perimeter at the airport. 

Multitudes of people who worked with us, now marked for death, and left behind, awaiting hopeful emergency evacuation to bring tens of thousands to military bases in Texas and Wisconsin.  

Videos of absolute mayhem all over Twitter.  

Afghans so desperate they are hanging onto cargo jets as they take off and falling to their death.  

World leaders around the globe questioning America. 

Our President, nor the VP, can even find it within themselves to speak to the American people?

Press Secretary has an auto-reply that she’s suddenly on vacation from the 15th-22nd.  

Who is running this country!?

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

This is a tactic to divert the public's attention from the preventable disaster that's unfolding in Afghanistan right now.

It appears to be working with Biden's shrinking base; I can't imagine anyone else falling for it.

Shrinking base????

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886nd7ymerhnctl1krzdk

16 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Shrinking base????

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886nd7ymerhnctl1krzdk

His polling has already started dropping below 50%, and that’s with most of the media protecting him for his first months in office on issues like the border, crime and inflation.  

Even the media can’t save him from what’s transpiring right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

His polling has already started dropping below 50%, and that’s with most of the media protecting him for his first months in office on issues like the border, crime and inflation.  

Even the media can’t save him from what’s transpiring right now. 

Joe <> Donald

Joe is fine.

• Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Now why would the RNC do a thing like this:

And Trump’s historic Middle East peace agreement was nothing more than a joke.

What's your point?  This doesn't even remotely resemble the unconditional surrender deal the Biden administration has executed with the Taliban.  A complete and total disaster and a national embarrassment.  You're just proving the current administration owns this withdrawal mess.  And trying to deflect "blame" to Trump here is like throwing a rubber ball against a brick wall.  Ain't gonna stick. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can you imagine this? Within a few short months the Biden Administration has actively and recklessly reversed course on just about every Trump Administration policy (just to purposefully be anti-Trump) and after it all turns to crap they have the balls to blame the previous regime? Stunning! The Biden Team’s actions are not acts of OMISSION. These are all acts of COMMISSION! This country has become an utter farce. 

13 hours ago, Governor said:

Remember the timeline. I’ll add the politics to it.

Bush starts war in Afghanistan.

Bush then gets bored with war in Afghanistan because there’s no clear enemy and no clear leader of the enemy.

Bush then attacks Iraq.

Obama runs on leaving Iraq.

Obama then uses Afghanistan as the reason for leaving Iraq.

Obama leaves Iraq.

Trump runs on leaving Afghanistan.

Trump doesn’t follow through and kicks the can down the road with one foot out the door to the next president.

Biden mans up and leaves Afghanistan and takes the political hit.

I don’t care what the fallout is. It had to happen and I congratulate Joe.

Now, if we sent 100k troops back there to try to fix it and they’re still there 2 years from now, I’ll gladly join you in your witch-hunt, but that hasn’t happened yet.

You’re pretty much the only person that feels this way.  Even the Biden/Dem/Liberal boot licker CNN is saying “what a mess!”

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/16/politics/afghanistan-joe-biden-donald-trump-kabul-politics/index.html

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, ALF said:

So much for US intelligence and military planning, unless they wanted Biden to look really bad on purpose.

In a normal society this would result in a *****load of resignations.

I have my doubts, to say the least.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Can you imagine this? Within a few short months the Biden Administration has actively and recklessly reversed course on just about every Trump Administration policy (just to purposefully be anti-Trump) and after it all turns to crap they have the balls to blame the previous regime? Stunning! The Biden Team’s actions are not acts of OMISSION. These are all acts of COMMISSION! This country has become an utter farce. 

At least people now understand what an armed insurrection really looks like. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

What's your point?  This doesn't even remotely resemble the unconditional surrender deal the Biden administration has executed with the Taliban.  A complete and total disaster and a national embarrassment.  You're just proving the current administration owns this withdrawal mess.  And trying to deflect "blame" to Trump here is like throwing a rubber ball against a brick wall.  Ain't gonna stick. 

Can you provide the official US government link to the deal the Biden administration executed with the Taliban?

I'm sure it's been reported somewhere - right all_pro?

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Hmmmm. The Taliban was the government — not domestic terrorists. They came and took it back. 
Bad analogy in that tweet.

Also — what about all the Democrats issuing statements and tweets saying the same thing?  Are they Republicans now?

And, not everything circles back to January 6th no matter how much D partisans want to try. This is a completely separate disaster. 

Worst moron tweet ever. That idiot should shut up.

19 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Can you provide the official US government link to the deal the Biden administration executed with the Taliban?

Yep, Trumps written capitulation was a ***** deal. 
But Biden could have ignored it or reversed it, like he did with everything else. But Biden stuck with it, and even moved the “deadline” to 9/11 because we needed more time to get our ***** together. And then Biden proceeded to completely screw the pooch. Nice job, Mr. President.  Now get out in front of a microphone and take the blame for making our country look as completely incompetent as our President. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm sure there are still plenty of useful idiots that will continue to defend the Biden administration to the bitter end.  Their hatred towards anything Trump looks to be their primary motivation for all actions.  This latest screw-up is an utter embarrassment that history will rank right up there with other recent low points like the hasty retreat and the fall of Saigon and the failed Carter Iranian hostage crisis rescue attempt.  Both events characterized those administrations and I suspect this will be one of the defining moments of the Biden presidency. 

On a lighter note, maybe if they parachuted in a few hundred diversity trainers into the country face and honor could still be saved?  They could hold workshops and training sessions that would provide the environment for the Taliban to realize that "our differences are our strengths".  And then everyone would just get along.  Just like how the social justice movement has improved the tone and civility of American culture!   

My one question for the administration at this point is "where are you headed with all this Joe?"  Because from where I'm sitting everything is FUBAR.

• Agree 1

I hate Trump. He's an idiot.

Anyone who brings up his name with regard to the ***** show that's currently happening on Bidens watch? Also an idiot.

This is possibly one of the biggest ***** ups I've seen in my lifetime. Won't stop people from blaming the last guy though.

Edited by yall
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Your boy owns this.  It happened on his watch.  Plain and simple.  But you just don't know when to quit defending a losing argument.  So keep digging a deeper hole if you wish. 

20 minutes ago, yall said:

I hate Trump. He's an idiot.

Anyone who brings up his name with regard to the ***** show that's currently happening on Bidens watch? Also an idiot.

This is possibly one of the biggest ***** ups I've seen in my lifetime. Won't stop people from blaming the last guy though.

11 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Your boy owns this.  It happened on his watch.  Plain and simple.  But you just don't know when to quit defending a losing argument.  So keep digging a deeper hole if you wish. 

"Bu-bu-but the last guy made a plan to get out of a two decade war so it's his fault and not the guy who's been in charge for seven months and screwed it up so badly that children are falling off planes!"

These optics are so surreal.  I still can't believe what we're witnessing. 

It's so insane that we really need to step back and remember that these are actual lives, people living in such fear, in the midst of such chaos, that they are literally risking certain death by clinging onto cargo planes, rather than face what awaits them.  

Tens of thousands of American Nationals and Afghans who helped us still awaiting evacuation...in Kabul, alone.   That's not even taking into account those left behind in the other Afghan cities.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

55 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Isn't that what Trumpholes do here 24 7? 

So once again - you have no documentation or proof of a Taliban Biden agreement? 

All_Pro_BS strikes again!

Who is the new president of Afghanistan?

Edited by BillStime

17 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

China wins:

“Nobody under 30 (35?) can even remember a U.S. foreign policy engagement that could be described as positive besides one off assassinations,” Tim Miller wrote this morning. “This is going to have cultural implications as we further retrench and decline.”

I can't believe I'm saying this, but ... very strong comment. (I mean, other than the gratuitous reference to "China Wins" but I'll set that aside for now.)

I'm thinking about Tim Miller's comment. He has a point. Foreign policy (mixing in military actions) successes in this century, other than the one-off assassinations?

- the post-9/11 action in Afghanistan, deposing the Taliban from de facto rule in large swaths of Afghanistan and it's role in providing a safe haven for al Qaeda. But this is now overcome in our collective consciousness by the undisputable fact that the Taliban has just won a 20-year war.

And ... that's it. As far as active foreign policy/military initiatives:

- Iraq: disastrous

- reining in North Korea and its nuclear programs: failure

- guiding problematic Latin American states toward democratization: there appeared to be some early successes (Colombia), but it is beyond humiliating that minor states like El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras occupy so much of our attention with their failed states spurring uncontrolled migration north, and maybe even worse that we can't seem to nudge Venezuela into toppling its corrupt communist dictatorship. This would have been easy historically. We are now two years into the USA recognizing opposition leader Juan Guaido as the "real" president of Venezuela. And on the ground, he controls absolutely nothing. 

- the whole "Abraham Accords" business: we've sucked up to dictatorships in the Middle East who see their own self-interest served by making peace overtures toward Israel. And on the ground, well, just watch the news.

- Climate change, etc. Wherever one stands on this, the fact is we are making progress in the Western World toward a new energy future, while this happens:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57018837#:~:text=China emits more greenhouse gas,emissions%2C the think tank said.

Success stories of the 1990s turn into long-term failures (collapse of the Soviet Union, emergence of a new hybrid Hong Kong model) or, at best, works in progress (South Africa).

Not to be too pessimistic: the drop in extreme poverty around the world is real and a stunningly good development, but it's hard to find a reason to ascribe this to U.S. leadership.

10 hours ago, Governor said:

Biden knows that 2 years from now no one is going to care about any of this. Sure, it was stupid plan by Trump, a poison pill, but it still had to be done, and the majority of voters support the decision. Independents are pretty happy right now.

Trump set the timeline to when he’d already be gone. That’s a total wuss move. Biden stepped up and got it done anyway and knew it had to be done early in his term, or not at all, politically.

LOL!  No, Independents aren't "pretty happy" right now.  Neither are a lot of Dems.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

So much for US intelligence and military planning, unless they wanted Biden to look really bad on purpose.

As if he needed help...

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

You’re pretty much the only person that feels this way.  Even the Biden/Dem/Liberal boot licker CNN is sayind “what a mess!”

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/16/politics/afghanistan-joe-biden-donald-trump-kabul-politics/index.html

Some people exist in their own echo chamber.

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

It pales in comparison to the people Biden got/is going to get executed with his FUBAR of an exit from Afghanistan.  That's on him and no one else.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc said:

LOL!  No, Independents aren't "pretty happy" right now.  Neither are a lot of Dems.

As if he needed help...

Some people exist in their own echo chamber.

It pales in comparison to the people Biden got/is going to get executed with his FUBAR of an exit from Afghanistan.  That's on him and no one else.

I always come back to the aphorism coined by Megan McArdle and known as "Jane's Law" --

"The devotees of the party in power are smug and arrogant; the devotees of the party out of power are insane."

We are clearly in peak smug/arrogant stage of Bidenism: no social welfare policy, no government spending, no sucking up to lefty interest groups is too extreme. (And the insanity of the opposition, well, that goes without saying.) Maybe a colossal failure like this will recenter this Administration. It happened with Bill Clinton, who started out acting as though his 43% of the popular vote gave him a mandate to shift the country leftward. After the 1994 midterms he was (policy wise, if not personal affairs-wise) pretty centrist. And I liked that shift ....

• Vomit 1

26 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Isn't that what Trumpholes do here 24 7? 

So once again - you have no documentation or proof of a Taliban Biden agreement? 

All_Pro_BS strikes again!

Who is the new president of Afghanistan?

https://www.wral.com/taliban-seek-to-project-calm-as-us-speeds-chaotic-evacuation/19828137/

Meanwhile, the head of U.S. Central Command met face-to-face with senior Taliban leaders in Qatar and won their agreement to establish an arrangement under which evacuation operations at the airport can continue without interference, a U.S. defense official said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive talks not yet announced publicly.

For those of you unlearned, those are called terms of surrender.

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

So we didn’t surrender last year when Trump agreed to the release of 5000 talibans and releases the now President of Afghanistan from jail in 2018?

No, we didn't.

Are you secretly Q, because you seem to think Trump has been reinstated as President. 

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

Neither Biden or Harris will get the nomination in 2024 .  So far I like Joe Manchin a real moderate.

I like Manchin and Tulsi.  But I’ll be honest…. Seeing what’s become of my party and the fact those two have no shot, coupled with us having moved recently from NC to Fl (and seeing firsthand how overblown the negativity is towards Desantis vs how solid of a job he’s ACTUALLY doing), I may break stride and vote Republican. I can’t unsee what the people I trusted, have shown me.  This is the worst the country has ever been, in my opinion.  The only thing worse than our present, is our trajectory.  People are divided, hateful, mental illness is running wild and we’re no longer a United/ powerful nation, or allowed the simple freedoms we held just two years ago.  Meanwhile Government is expanding its reach, which has never in the history of man, been a good thing.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

So we didn’t surrender last year when Trump agreed to the release of 5000 talibans and releases the now President of Afghanistan from jail in 2018?

So we're changing the topic now?

Reality is Afghanistan has now been bungled by four administrations.

What a mess.

20 minutes ago, ALF said:

Neither Biden or Harris will get the nomination in 2024 .  So far I like Joe Manchin a real moderate.

I expect its all down hill for Joe Biden from here barring any unexpected outcome.  And adhering to my theory we're heading for complete chaos I'm thinking at some point Manchin (WV) and Sinema (AZ) are going to change party's as groups like "the squad" and other leftist voices get more annoying and demanding (if that's possible). 

I expect that would be comical.  Watching the total leftist meltdown that would follow.  A switch throws the balance of power in the Senate out of wack and Schummer is out and McConnell is in and all the committee chairs switch hands.  Even if they don't switch it would be unwise to under-estimate the power they wield as the swing votes in the Senate. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1