Afghanistan

I am not very knowledgeable on the details of this conflict, but

about 20 years, equal to Russia's time in this sand box, plus 20 yrs of monetary support to fight against Russia previously, now an untimely exit and it appears the Afgans have the same piece of poop country back that they had 40 yrs ago.

What was the point? Why did Russia and then the US ( and Canada) spend so many lives and dollars and then quit?

The Taliban and their religious controls are again free the kill, mutilate, stone and hate. 

I think this is worse than Vietnam in results.

What say you.

Edited by Niagara Bill
Spelling

Unfortunately the initial premise quickly gave way to the normative ***sPReaD dUhMoCRacY*** and as it turns out (for the like 18th time) propping up an incredibly unpopular government really isn't a winning strategy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

The point was to show America that the President could fight back. He had midterms elections on the horizon and a reelection to win in 2004. That was the point 

Not sure about that. 

Was this money for the industrial military complex. Use up some ammo, watch a few die, change places with Russia?, it certainly was not to liberate the Afghanistan people. 

For the second time in 50 years the US is defeated in a foreign war because they are not prepared to win, just compete.

Will we ever understand , do not take sides in a domestic fight.

1 minute ago, Niagara Bill said:

Not sure about that. 

Was this money for the industrial military complex. Use up some ammo, watch a few die, change places with Russia?, it certainly was not to liberate the Afghanistan people. 

For the second time in 50 years the US is defeated in a foreign war because they are not prepared to win, just compete.

Second???  Based on long-term outcomes it's arguable that the US hasn't truly "won" a major foreign conflict since the Gulf War, and before that WWII.

50 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Not sure about that. 

It was election politics. We were attacked the President felt like he had to attack back in a way for short term political gain 

There was never a way to “win” in Afghanistan 

46 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Second???  Based on long-term outcomes it's arguable that the US hasn't truly "won" a major foreign conflict since the Gulf War, and before that WWII.

South Korea is a prosperous democratic nation. We won that war 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I suppose we could call that a win.  We had the entire peninsula at one point.  My grandfather would tell me stories about having to blow up bridges they built as they pulled back.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It was election politics. We were attacked the President felt like he had to attack back in a way for short term political gain 

Gee, it was awful nice of all those Democrats to vote to help George Bush politically.

Senate

On September 14, 2001, Senate Joint Resolution 23 passed in the Senate by roll call vote. The totals in the Senate were: 98 Ayes, 0 Nays, 2 Present/Not Voting 

House of Representatives

On September 14, 2001, the House passed House Joint Resolution 64. The totals in the House of Representatives were 420 ayes, 1 nay and 10 not voting. The sole nay vote was by Barbara Lee, D-CA.[9] Lee was the only member of either house of Congress to vote against the bill.[10]

Don't try and re-write history just to fit your narrow minded biases.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Gee, it was awful nice of all those Democrats to vote to help George Bush politically.

Senate

On September 14, 2001, Senate Joint Resolution 23 passed in the Senate by roll call vote. The totals in the Senate were: 98 Ayes, 0 Nays, 2 Present/Not Voting 

House of Representatives

On September 14, 2001, the House passed House Joint Resolution 64. The totals in the House of Representatives were 420 ayes, 1 nay and 10 not voting. The sole nay vote was by Barbara Lee, D-CA.[9] Lee was the only member of either house of Congress to vote against the bill.[10]

I used to think things I don’t think anymore.  

All I know is that after the dust settles, war for oil presidents and those who accused him of sending young people to their death under false pretenses are just the bestest of buddies.   How does that happen?   

1BCED98F-2965-44A7-AEED-AEA282657AD6.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

There was never a way to “win” in Afghanistan 

Yes Korea was at least a partial success, negotiating with the very people we hated to divide the spoils. Not a true win, Kim is the result of that split decision. 

I question why Russia fought for this piece of dirt (Afghanistan) for 20 years, then the west did, both lost and nothing changed. I say it was nothing but spending military budget. The American people didn't want this. This was not revenge for 9 11. Trading the World Center bombing for bombing a cave of dirt and rock for 20 years, not equal.

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Senate

House of Representatives

So it was a bipartisan mistake, so what? Ya, Dems didn't want to get smeared as anti-war. 

6 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

I am not very knowledgeable on the details of this conflict, but

about 20 years, equal to Russia's time in this sand box, plus 20 yrs of monetary support to fight against Russia previously, now an untimely exit and it appears the Afgans have the same piece of poop country back that they had 40 yrs ago.

What was the point? Why did Russia and then the US ( and Canada) spend so many lives and dollars and then quit?

The Taliban and their religious controls are again free the kill, mutilate, stone and hate. 

I think this is worse than Vietnam in results.

What say you.

The Taliban had knocked down the twin towers and a response was necessary. I at this point recognize this war was not the proper way or at least run poorly but at that time a response was needed and this was supported by the vast majority of Americans in 2002. 

https://news.gallup.com/poll/8038/seventytwo-percent-americans-support-war-against-iraq.aspx

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So it was a bipartisan mistake, so what? Ya, Dems didn't want to get smeared as anti-war. 

Wait…Dema didn’t want to get smeared as anti-war?   Did I read that right?  😂

BTW I have down on my calendar 9/11/2021 if Mr Biden keeps his promise.  And I will be the first to congratulate him for removing us.  Let them wallow in their own shithole. 

Edited by Chef Jim

42 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The Taliban had knocked down the twin towers and a response was necessary. I at this point recognize this war was not the proper way or at least run poorly but at that time a response was needed and this was supported by the vast majority of Americans in 2002. 

https://news.gallup.com/poll/8038/seventytwo-percent-americans-support-war-against-iraq.aspx

No doubt supported, but purpose has long been lost. The Taliban won. Yes, a few leaders of the terrorists died, so did many soldiers. The terrorists were not necessarily taliban.

But why 20 years?? 40 years 2 major waring nations fought this piece of scrub, and the taliban and their religious leaders are still standing and killing other citizens at will. Military contractors are the only winners and the veterans hospitals are overflowing.

Hardly a war to protect freedom at home.

I have long believed in these circumstance in the middle east....surround the country. Nobody gets out. Arm them, and befriend the winner. 

Ps

Timmy,  you seem to have data available quickly, are you sure you are not being paid for this??😁

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I used to think things I don’t think anymore.  

All I know is that after the dust settles, war for oil presidents and those who accused him of sending young people to their death under false pretenses are just the bestest of buddies.   How does that happen?   

1BCED98F-2965-44A7-AEED-AEA282657AD6.jpeg

Nice. Fight for oil in this dust bowl, transport half way around the world, support radical governments, and choose not to build a pipeline from Canada that would eliminate the need for oil from the middle east, even 20 yrs ago.

Hmmmm

Still think this was all about supporting military suppliers and contractors. 

6 minutes ago, TSOL said:

It was nice to have a military presence in that region, I think that's why we stayed there so long. 

Oh, plus the heroin, they have really good heroin there. 

Underrated poast.

Reality is we could vaporize every poppy field on the planet in a matter of minutes, instead we play prop-up fake democracy games.  

Makes ya think.

11 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Underrated poast.

Reality is we could vaporize every poppy field on the planet in a matter of minutes, instead we play prop-up fake democracy games.  

Makes ya think.

If big pharma had a clue they’d vaporize all the poppy fields.