EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

Well, I've met a lot of people in Austin that think the city deserves an NFL team, and with it being the state capital where a ton of the money runs through (and the politicians scheming about...) I can see them eventually getting a team.

The Austin metro area has around 2.1 million people & was named the fastest growing metroplex in the US this year (plus it's only a little over an hour from San Antonio, another city that wanted a team before), so it was only a matter of time before they started campaigning for a franchise.

But I really never thought the Bills would ever be up for consideration... That's going to be annoying, especially once the people there catch wind & start getting their hopes up. I already had 2 friends text me about it, which is why I'm here in the first place. Really hope the Pegulas don't seriously consider this. Hoping it's just the firm representing the ownership throwing it out there for negotiation purposes. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Well, I've met a lot of people in Austin that think the city deserves an NFL team, and with it being the state capital where a ton of the money runs through (and the politicians scheming about...) I can see them eventually getting a team.

The Austin metro area has around 2.1 million people & was named the fastest growing metroplex in the US this year (plus it's only a little over an hour from San Antonio, another city that wanted a team before), so it was only a matter of time before they started campaigning for a franchise.

But I really never thought the Bills would ever be up for consideration... That's going to be annoying, especially once the people there catch wind & start getting their hopes up. I already had 2 friends text me about it, which is why I'm here in the first place. Really hope the Pegulas don't seriously consider this. Hoping it's just the firm representing the ownership throwing it out there for negotiation purposes. 

Why would Jerry Jones want another team in Texas... Chewing into his market share?

As a native Las Vegan - who had zero say in the County Commissioners stadium approval - you all should vehemently oppose a publicly funded stadium. The Pegulas and the NFL should be ashamed of themselves trying to leverage emotions and a successful season into a publicly funded stadium deal. A billionaire owner - let alone the league collectively - shouldn't be asking hard working tax payers to front that bill. It’s disgusting and I apologize for our city/county for setting this standard. 

Edited by RunninRebel37
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Wasn’t there some kind of poison pill Ralph insisted on that a future owner (Pegula’s) would find it very costly to move the team?

Disregard. That period just ended.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/03/26/buffalo-bills-future-ralph-wilson-roger-goodell

A Bills move wouldn’t surprise me. Not when it comes to Kim Pegula.

Edited by Beast

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'd say it's much more likely this is being pushed by Jerruh's company than the Pegula's themselves who have made statements saying a massively expensive stadium likely isn't the 'right' away to go...

My hunch is they'll let Jerruh shoot his shot and when the state tells him to go pound sand, they'll end up with something more realistic for the region. 

Everything aside, we know that Jerruh and his pal owners who need the revenue from their teams want to push small market teams to move. I don't think it happens here, but the likelihood is that in 20 years barring a real acceleration of growth in the region that the Bills will play outside of Western New York. 

I doubt that Jerry has anything to do with this. He also probably wouldn't support another team in his market. He didn't even like the idea of Vegas. With revenue sharing they can play anywhere to empty stadiums and still get wealthier. 

23 minutes ago, Process said:

Don't care if it's 100% business/negotiation tactics, the Pegulas deserve all the F Us coming their way for this. 

Kim has made so many comments in the past that line up with this. I still don't understand people that think they are some well intentioned family that is tied to Western NY when they don't even live here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I doubt that Jerry has anything to do with this. He also probably wouldn't support another team in his market. He didn't even like the idea of Vegas. With revenue sharing they can play anywhere to empty stadiums and still get wealthier. 

With all due respect, revenue sharing means the more revenue, the more they ALL make. Jerry is at or near the top of the revenue chart. He’s subsidizing smaller market teams, and he’d like them to step up and close that gap. Jerry has his nose in everything related to the NFL, and he wants the Bills to generate more cash. 

Despite all that, I think this is just an opening salvo in a PR and negotiation war and we will still have a team in WNY after much angst by all who follow closely. 

6 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

move the Bills to Hawaii... anyone down for that?

I’d check out a game, for sure! Hating them for every minute I was there! 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Honestly, we should just create a charity account to fund the stadium…. We do it for everything else.   We obviously won’t raise 1.5 billion, but if there was ever a way to demonstrate to PGSE/NYS that y’all better get this done…

Then just donate it to charity when it inevitably doesn’t go towards the stadium. 

I agree with this. Taxpayers should not be on the hook for a new stadium. To a point anyway. Maybe 10% or something small as I would think there are direct positive economic benefits to the entire Buffalo area. But why not open up funding options for us fans? I'll throw in a couple hundred bucks for an overpriced piece of memorabilia from the Ralph or the players.  Like many Bills fans I don't even live in Buffalo. Never have. But I would gladly chip in for a new stadium. 

Ultimately though the league and the owners should commit the majority of the funding. That would actually be something congress should address. Write a law that prevents a sports league/team from paying less than 75% or 80% of the cost of a new stadium or something. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’d check out a game, for sure! Hating them for every minute I was there! 

And Josh Allen would dominate in that Hawaii 84 degree weather. 

4 hours ago, Bad Things said:

This is so wrong.

Yeah, I get reasoning that this is only the first step of a negotiation process.  But, why?  Such an extreme stance does not have to be the first step.

I find it insulting and disingenuous to Bills fans and all of the taxpayers that would have to foot the bill.

I don't even live there and it's pissing me off.

Hey Terry!  F - you!

Good point. Really makes the Pegula's look like scum going out the gate with 100% taxpayer funding. Seriously, they couldn't start at 75%? Do these dopes actually expect to to get 75% and that's why they started at 100%?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Meh… I thought it was kind of a dump.  Maybe it was cool years ago…

In terms of football, It’s Atlanta on steroids with transplants, complete with a college team that owns the city (UGA/UT)

I try to take off my homer glasses when discussing this stuff, but I truly think this point has merit.   Bills Mafia is the most iconic fan base in the NFL right now. 

I really don’t think we have homer glasses! Sports is entertainment, and the small markets bring a lot to the table when it comes to that. And if the broadcasting and advertising brings all the cash, why should the league really care about ticket revenues? Sounds like foolish greed to me.

Edited by CheshireCT

Two thoughts.

1. I hope the Pegula's remain the Buffalo heroes we have all thought them to be.

2. If item 1 above is not true, then I don't care what it costs in tax dollars, the state better pay--if needed.

Austin Bills. Please. That's dumb.

Edited by foreboding
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

Sports is entertainment, and the small markets bring a lot to the table when it comes to that. And if the broadcasting and advertising brings all the cash, why should the league really care about ticket revenues? Sounds like foolish greed to me.

The bold is where you went wrong. MUCH of the cash? Sure.

Bigger markets bring bigger revenues. Broadcasting and advertising are just a couple streams of revenue. The owners care about EVERY stream of revenue including concessions, parking, merchandise sales, etc. Better stadiums also generate more money. They care about the ENTIRE package. They would be stupid not to care. I certainly would. 

If you have a good job that pays well, would you be OK with your wife working for free? I doubt it. You would want that money too. 

Edited by Augie

For some reason it won’t let me post the tweet. But PSE just made an announcement they’re not moving the team out of Buffalo and that the Bills are staying in western NY. Hope this calms everyone down

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

….for now 

PFT is trashhhhhh

You guys realize PFT has had an agenda on the Bills for quite sometime now. You honestly can’t trust any news source anymore. People just put out bull#### for Clicks and unfortunately some fans are gullible enough to take the bait. Just like when Ertz to Buffalo trade was a done deal lol, how did that workout?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Kim has made so many comments in the past that line up with this. I still don't understand people that think they are some well intentioned family that is tied to Western NY when they don't even live here. 

Ralph lived in Michigan and Florida...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why would Jerry Jones want another team in Texas... Chewing into his market share?

He won't, but they hired the companies he owns to build a new stadium, not relocate. If they can't come to an agreement to build a new stadium, relocation isn't controlled by Jerry Jones. He also doesn't control the entire NFL, despite what he may think. He has influence, but when the policy makers in Austin get a choice to pursue an NFL team, pretty sure that'll supersede anything Jones' influence.

Texas is the 2nd largest state in the country. It can easily support more than 2 teams, Jones can cry about it.

But again, I don't think the Bills will be that team. At least I hope not.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

For some reason it won’t let me post the tweet. But PSE just made an announcement they’re not moving the team out of Buffalo and that the Bills are staying in western NY. Hope this calms everyone down

Is there a link? I just checked PSE twitter, and there is no such announcement:

https://twitter.com/PegulaSE/with_replies?lang=en

• Thank you (+1) 1

I get that it's all a negotiation but it's a dark cloud nonetheless. They way it's reported is kind of an all-business middle finger to the fanbase.

Might be wrong but it feels like they Pegulas have been dealing with a stream of bad press lately, and I think this was all clearly an ego project for them to some degree, so I also wonder now how they'll collectively take a growing wave of Buffalo fans, from both sports, dumping on them. I understand that's more emotional and makes zero business sense, but they're not wrong unfortunately that they could find interest elsewhere. I can envision a reality where they do pull up stakes, even though I don't really think they will. Annoying at absolute best, terrifying at worst.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Who really knows the truth to these reports at this point, but the surge of Austin fans is going to be weird. They're going to be campaigning hard, I bet there's already fans organizing. On one hand it's like heck yeah you're a Bills fan, welcome, but on the other they're trying to infiltrate and steal everything you hold dear. Like a Black Mirror Bills season.

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You guys realize PFT has had an agenda on the Bills for quite sometime now. You honestly can’t trust any news source anymore. People just put out bull#### for Clicks and unfortunately some fans are gullible enough to take the bait. Just like when Ertz to Buffalo trade was a done deal lol, how did that workout?

What are you talking lol. The PSE account hasn't tweeted since April.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Hard for ownership to have a worse month than the Pegulas without moving their teams.  

Their PR department is woefully unprepared for the onslaught that's coming from the fans.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Hard for ownership to have a worse month than the Pegulas without moving their teams.  

Their PR department is woefully unprepared for the onslaught that's coming from the fans.  

Makes me think this was all, clearly, leverage in a negotiation never meant to become public. 

PFT says Austin officials have no clue what anyone is talking about, so clearly they were name-dropped in negotiations with no real backbone to a potential move.  

The article even states they never threatened to move the Bills, but made a veiled threat about other cities being willing to pay up.  

If they were serious, or had any idea this could leak, we wouldn’t be past midnight with no response other than the Bills Official Account getting lit up in the comments in a tweet about how great the fans are. 

• Like (+1) 1

I always laughed at fans that had a second favorite NFL team. There are the Bills and then everyone else.

***** it. I’m joining the crowd. The Bills………………then Packers and everyone else.

How are ya, IceBowl, buddy ol’ pal?

Cripes.

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

The bold is where you went wrong. MUCH of the cash? Sure.

Bigger markets bring bigger revenues. Broadcasting and advertising are just a couple streams of revenue. The owners care about EVERY stream of revenue including concessions, parking, merchandise sales, etc. Better stadiums also generate more money. They care about the ENTIRE package. They would be stupid not to care. I certainly would. 

If you have a good job that pays well, would you be OK with your wife working for free? I doubt it. You would want that money too. 

Sure, you're not wrong. Those are also revenue streams. My take on it is that different markets bring different things to the table. Everything together balances out, and the end result is an incredibly successful primary revenue stream that comes from broadcasting.

Perhaps on the money side, a team like the Cowboys might hit on all the marks (media attention, fancy stadium, high revenues, etc), but that's the rare example. On that point, I can understand why Jerry Jones might complain. He's thinking, well my organization does it all, why shouldn't yours? But where is the reality? Moves are not always successful and it's not realistic to force the smaller markets to squeeze more cash out of its fans either. Meanwhile, I do think fans care about the NFL's history and those special small market teams that bring so much character to the sport (Bills, Packers, Steelers....). I wouldn't want to see any of those franchises uprooted.

Edited by CheshireCT

2 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

Sure, you're not wrong. Those are also revenue streams. My take on it is that different markets bring different things to the table. Everything together balances out.

I’m not trying to jump on you, I swear, but there is only one thing the other owners want you to bring to the table, and that one thing is MONEY. Not video clips of the falls or wings being tossed. They want the almighty CA$H! 

They want the cash givers and the cash getters balanced out. A new stadium helps in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 5

This whole thing has been so ham-fisted, from the announcement with its shot across the bow that left a slightly bad taste in what should have just been a celebratory announcement, to it now being leaked to the press. This should happen behind closed doors. All sides in this just look so extremely crass and petty and money-crazy. Zero tact.

3 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Do you want an NFL team or not?  If the answer is yes just get it over with.  Make a reasonable deal (probably 75% range) and build them their stadium like just about everyone else. 

Yup.  Some people are way too in their feelings about the over the top request made to start negotiations, and the shenanigans-laden way this all leaked out.  

PGSE is well within their rights to expect some public financing.   100% is crazy, but people on here acting like any public financing is out of the question clearly don’t know how this works. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m not trying to jump on you, I swear, but there is only one thing the other owners want you to bring to the table, and that one thing is MONEY. Not video clips of the falls or wings being tossed. They want the almighty CA$H! 

The NFL itself wants more money out of the Bills.

The Pegulas want money from taxpayers.

A new theme song for the NFL Network and played at Bills games and when the Pegulas come down the tunnel onto the field:

Edited by I am the egg man

This got lost in all the relocation BS, but anyone else find it ridiculous that an open air stadium in freakin Orchard Park would cost $1.1B? How is that possible?

Hienz field in downtown Pittsburgh cost $280M. Lucas oil stadium, a dome in downtown Indianapolis cost $770M. US Bank stadium, in downtown Minneapolis, with a dome, and probably one of the nicest stadiums in the league cost $1.05B. 

• Like (+1) 4

Its pretty clear that it is "Pay to Play (in your city) with the NFL for awhile now. Any modern pro team has this card, and would have a city somewhere in America (or outside of it) that is willing to pay for it if their city won't.  

The Bills were ready to move to Seattle when Ralph wanted out of the Rockpile, unless they got a new stadium if I recall correctly (wasn't alive yet).

34 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

The Buffalo fan base - - - young people that can't afford $200 tickets and senior citizens watching the game on TV!  It's a great story but MONEY TALKS.  

Don't forget about cheap bastards watching from New Zealand!

Austin or any other UNITED STATES CITY, makes ZERO sense as a destination for a team like the Bills.  

the reason why is twofold for Austin...and you all have the first one covered.  Jerry doesn't need another Texas team treading on his territory....and Austin isn't all that far away from Houston...I am SURE they also don't want a team in Austin.

But the more important and bigger reason is that NON NFL MARKETS get just as high of television ratings and NFL markets do.  Moving a team into a market does nothing to bring in more eyes and more TV money (wich is where the leauge makes the big bucks)  To that end, Jerry could care less if teh Bills were in Buffalo or Des Moines Iowa....the TV money is all the same no matter where they have teams now...you don't generate a single new dollar by moving to a new town.  Those days are over.  

What would move the needle would be an NFL team in Toronto.  make whatever case you want about that...but having one team in Canada...they become alot like the Blue Jays, where that is Canadas MLB team....and THAT would bring more TV revenue to the NFL having those new and additonal eyeballs on TVs.   

Anyhthing short of a move to a NON US MARKET, is just he Pegulas posturing and looking for leverage to get their building done.